Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda want to do a Greco-Roman glamour. As far as I know, I'm going to want the Noct set and Flame Elite Set. It's... gonna take a long time farming allied seals, isn't it?

Are you supposed to toss your hunt bills after you do them?

EDIT: Also, do we know if the Lightning and\or Shantotto events will happen again? Because I totally want the stuff from those.

The lightning events were for XIII games coming to PC, so they'll probably do one more when the last one gets ported (unless i've totally lost track of how many there are). Shantotto was for the 1 year anniversary I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

bonewitch posted:

The lightning events were for XIII games coming to PC, so they'll probably do one more when the last one gets ported (unless i've totally lost track of how many there are). Shantotto was for the 1 year anniversary I think?

Lightning Returns still isn't on PC yet, so I'm assuming we'll have at least one more Lightning event.

Which is good since I still need the chestpiece from it. :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

From what I remember, the Lightning event happened when Lightning Returns came out in Japan and North America, then again as part of the anniversary celebration. It might come back again next month with the Shantotto and Dragon Quest events.

If they ran the event again, I wonder if there'll be new weapons for NIN/DRK/AST/MCH.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Magil Zeal posted:

Because it's not in the Duty Finder; talk to the goblin in front of Alexander's fist.

And you have to have a full party.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Moldy Taxes posted:

From what I remember, the Lightning event happened when Lightning Returns came out in Japan and North America, then again as part of the anniversary celebration. It might come back again next month with the Shantotto and Dragon Quest events.

If they ran the event again, I wonder if there'll be new weapons for NIN/DRK/AST/MCH.

you just posted the reason why it will never come back.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, FF13-related events will probably be minimal-to-none, but anniversaries have a tendency to happen annually, and they used the latter as an excuse to rehash those events last year.

Guarantee, no, of course not. But it's certainly a reasonable possibility.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pikachu posted:

Yeah, Singularity Reactor is a really fuckin cool fight, just a shame that it's pretty easy
I hope we get Singularity Reactor Bard Mode or something.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really easy to make money in this game if you know what you're doing. What are you planning to do with the red scrip anyway? You can easily make all the current CUL recipes with the <150 gear.
Because they're never going to add more recipes that will require red scrip/melded i170 crafted gear, right?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda want to do a Greco-Roman glamour. As far as I know, I'm going to want the Noct set and Flame Elite Set. It's... gonna take a long time farming allied seals, isn't it?
There's copies of the Noct gear available on a vendor in Azys La.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zereth posted:

I hope we get Singularity Reactor Bard Mode or something.

Seems likely, since the original bard mode was the last final boss, who was similarly pathetic in its first incarnation.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Average wait time: Less than 5m.

20 minutes waiting, still no party.

Man, what's up with having to do these hard mode primals to continue the story?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Because dealing with the primal threat is literally the main driver of the plot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mischitary posted:

Average wait time: Less than 5m.

Man, what's up with having to do these hard mode primals to continue the story?

Wait till the reset for people wanting the bonus exp from roulettes. I was trying to do the main story roulette last night for exp on my SCH. Same thing happened to me 20m, we had both healers and all the dps but no tanks.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Are the hard modes required for the story? I've only done Ifrit Hard so far and I remember that being a side quest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhix posted:

Are the hard modes required for the story? I've only done Ifrit Hard so far and I remember that being a side quest.

They went wishy-washy with the modes for the expansion. Hard mode is basically normal mode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rhix posted:

For the OG trio, yes.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The only primals with non-hard modes are Titan/Garuda/Ifrit because it was story stuff, everything else was end game. HW mixed that up bit theyre still 50+ content so I guess they just stuck with it.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Mischitary posted:

That's about average wait time for DPS for anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KoB posted:

The only primals with non-hard modes are Titan/Garuda/Ifrit because it was story stuff, everything else was end game. HW mixed that up bit theyre still 50+ content so I guess they just stuck with it.

Yeah it's a little bit odd that they're continuing to label the non-cap trials "Hard". Wonder what the logic behind that is. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So they can just make EX versions instead of going normal - > hard - > extreme.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay, pubbie MCH are kind of confusing me on this, but at 60 I want to be in Gauss Barrel permanently, right?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Volt Catfish posted:

Okay, pubbie MCH are kind of confusing me on this, but at 60 I want to be in Gauss Barrel permanently, right?

Based off my knowledge of Bard: It's a dps increase assuming you don't need to move for longer than a gcd or two, depending on procs.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Trying to figure out if this game is for me, and also pick a class to play. How "classic" is class design in this game, are classes in this game in the typical "trifecta" style, ie clearly defined tanking, healing and dps roles? I have never really found the modern take on class design where there are no tanks or healers very interesting.

Normally go for healers but was thinking of picking something else for once. I have played healers or support in virtually every MMO i have played but it is honestly mostly to get groups more easily. The only game i have really enjoyed healing was WoW (mostly due to addons) Does DPS have a hard time getting groups? (Is there a LFG interface or are you stuck with shouting in general chat?)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If you join one of the goon guilds, you can probably get a group together instantly regardless of your class, but yes, DPS queues tend to be longer.

It's not unheard of to be waiting up to 20-30 minutes for a duty as a DPS. Healers will probably only have to wait 5-10 minutes maximum, and tanks usually get instant queues.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It'd be kinda nice if hard was normal, and there was an additional hard tier with the exact same mechanics as extreme but tuned down or recoverable as something of a training mode for extreme, at least until you think about how the gently caress that'd fit in with everything and how to fill queues with it. It'd probably be easier and better to just drop the "hard" label altogether.

Ineptitude posted:

Trying to figure out if this game is for me, and also pick a class to play. How "classic" is class design in this game, are classes in this game in the typical "trifecta" style, ie clearly defined tanking, healing and dps roles? I have never really found the modern take on class design where there are no tanks or healers very interesting.

Normally go for healers but was thinking of picking something else for once. I have played healers or support in virtually every MMO i have played but it is honestly mostly to get groups more easily. The only game i have really enjoyed healing was WoW (mostly due to addons) Does DPS have a hard time getting groups? (Is there a LFG interface or are you stuck with shouting in general chat?)

Every job is very clearly dps, heal, or tank, and there's great matchmaking and you can try and play every job on the same character, so you'd probably like this game. DPS queues can be longer but it's not bad most of the time (they always come up with ways to backfill all content) and if you join us on Excalibur, it's not usually too hard to find a tank and/or healer who also needs whatever it is or is willing to help.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 27, 2015

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The game is totally built around basic tank-dps-heal trinity,there are no alternative builds.

Matchmaking for most if not all party content happens through an automated queue system accessible from anywhere in the world.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah typically you want to have it on all the time or I see some MCHs start a fight by firing a bare hotshot, then putting it on for everything else for the rest of the fight

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There is some cross-role abilities for some jobs. Summoner is the only non-healer job that can revive party members and they and Paladins can use a HP healing move that, while paltry, and hold off a party wipe if the healer bites it. Paladin also gets a HP buffer spell that's just a flat % of max HP and Summoners get a tank pet that can do in a pinch (I used him to tank half of Neverreap's final boss after the tank accidentally got knocked out of the arena! It was dicey since the pet doesn't have a provoke and had to slowly build up aggro while the boss whaled on a DPS but we managed to pull through).

Healers are also intended to do DPS, heal to keep people from dying but otherwise they can contribute to killing bosses. They get a stance that hits their healing significantly for doing more damage and all it costs is about a GCD or two of cooldown to leave the damage stance once you enter it. Hell, in low level dungeons one of the healers (Scholar) can sit in DPS stance and let their healing pet do all the healing.

But at the end of the day it's very much a Tank/Healer/DPS game and while some jobs can help in other areas they don't compare to somebody dedicated in that role.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks guys!

Did not realise i could play all classes on 1 character, from the OP it sounded like the level 30 unlock was a one-off. 20-30 minutes to wait for a DPS doesnt sound bad, from what i know in WoW it is around 45 minutes to get a group for a DPS. It is good to hear that the LFG system is working well, it still surprises me how new MMOs can launch without one (SWToR, ArcheAge etc) so i had to ask :)

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I'm a noob ninja so can someone tell me how I know when to use goad on someone if I can't see party member tp? Do I just not need to worry about it until endgame?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, it's real easy to flip into a queue and then go do something else, be it quests, gathering, crafting, playing princess dress up, or what have you. There's always something to do!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

funkymonks posted:

I'm a noob ninja so can someone tell me how I know when to use goad on someone if I can't see party member tp? Do I just not need to worry about it until endgame?

They'll either ask for it, or you can make an educated guess based on the situation (like a warrior spamming overpower, or a physical class that just got rezzed).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

funkymonks posted:

If someone dies, goad them. If a physical class is spamming aoes, goad them. If the fight is going long and you've used invigorate twice, goad the drg->mnk->other ninja in that order, I think. If you expect the fight to go that long, goad earlier and then again on cooldown.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

funkymonks posted:

You kind of can't know until we get TP viewable (or use an ACT plugin), but you can keep an eye out for things like non-caster DPS being revived, Warriors spamming overpower, tanks doing big chain pulls without stopping, Bards going nuts with AOE, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GreatRedSpirit posted:

There is some cross-role abilities for some jobs. Summoner is the only non-healer job that can revive party members and they and Paladins can use a HP healing move that, while paltry, and hold off a party wipe if the healer bites it. Paladin also gets a HP buffer spell that's just a flat % of max HP and Summoners get a tank pet that can do in a pinch (I used him to tank half of Neverreap's final boss after the tank accidentally got knocked out of the arena! It was dicey since the pet doesn't have a provoke and had to slowly build up aggro while the boss whaled on a DPS but we managed to pull through).

Healers are also intended to do DPS, heal to keep people from dying but otherwise they can contribute to killing bosses. They get a stance that hits their healing significantly for doing more damage and all it costs is about a GCD or two of cooldown to leave the damage stance once you enter it. Hell, in low level dungeons one of the healers (Scholar) can sit in DPS stance and let their healing pet do all the healing.

But at the end of the day it's very much a Tank/Healer/DPS game and while some jobs can help in other areas they don't compare to somebody dedicated in that role.

Clemency owns bones and is far from paltry. I use it all the drat time and it's amazing. It's very difficult to interrupt and can crit in the 8-10k range. When I'm offtanking A4 I don't need any heals when catching orbs or when coming back from the photobooth because clemency takes care of it. If you're talking about crossclassed cure, well, then yeah that's a waste of time.

funkymonks posted:

If you have a dragoon in the party that is AOEing, give him a goad a few GCDs in. Similar for a warrior overpower spamming. In boss fights, toss it on a paladin about the time you get to 600 TP yourself as the max DPS rotation for a PLD chews through TP like no one's business.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

After a rough transition peroid Im starting to settle into bard HW changes. Everything feels dumb and broken until you get Empyreal Arrow and its much better once you can refresh your dots with one gcd vs 2, post 54 the job is kinda similar to MCH but less random dumbness and more evenly controlled damage peaks. It will suffice as a main until Yoshi P decides to grace us with Dancer.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Clemency owns bones and is far from paltry. I use it all the drat time and it's amazing. It's very difficult to interrupt and can crit in the 8-10k range. When I'm offtanking A4 I don't need any heals when catching orbs or when coming back from the photobooth because clemency takes care of it. If you're talking about crossclassed cure, well, then yeah that's a waste of time.

Yeah, I was thinking of cross class cure :v: I'm still in ARR mentality with most classes so I appreciate people correcting me with HW changes.

e: type gud

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 27, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Paladins can res and I have healed the entire last boss fight of Dzemael Darkhold as a black mage keeping blizzard up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of cross class cure :v: I'm still in ARR mentality with most classes so I appreciate people correcting me with HW changes.

Oh yeah cure on PLD is useless, but clemency is loving amazing. Not only is it a 1200 potency cure that can crit for drat near 5 digits, if you cast it on a party member, you get 50% of the heal yourself as well. It takes enough mana that you won't be able to spam it, but if you're in any fight where you can block and are using goring blade like you should, MP is never a problem to use quite a few times in a hard fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tenzarin posted:

Paladins can res and I have healed the entire last boss fight of Dzemael Darkhold as a black mage keeping blizzard up.

They can't raise in combat. Only summoners and healers have combat res.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

They can't raise in combat. Only summoners and healers have combat res.

1.0 bards had raise since they could cross WHM and raise wasnt restricted.

1.0 bards also had animation lock issues like you wouldn't believe. Im glad there is no more 1.0. None of this is relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

1.0 bards had raise since they could cross WHM and raise wasnt restricted.

1.0 bards also had animation lock issues like you wouldn't believe. Im glad there is no more 1.0. None of this is relevant.

1.0 was a boardgame more than anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5DnpidMiY

• Locked thread