Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

foxatee posted:

Did I kill this thing? Is there any way to save it?

First off, that is a hydrangea, and it looks like its going through some transplant shock. That new growth on the right looks very healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah hydrangeas need extra TLC after being transplanted- I had to transplant mine this spring and because of that I have to water it about twice as much as my other plants because it starts looking really sad and droopy so fast. Also in the future, anytime you transplant something make sure you pull the flowers off. You want the plant to put energy into new growth instead of pushing those flowers out.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So should i pull off the little obviously dead flowers? I have petunias that I do this with. Both plants were mother's day gifts, and I really don't have a green thumb.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've got spider mites everywhere and on almost every plant on my balcony. I bought some weird powder pesticide at the recommendation of my local garden shop, but I am terrible at applying it. Most of the stuff I'm growing is food, so I don't want to use anything that's going to make the food inedible (the guy at the garden shop claimed the one I'm using is okay on veggies, as does the bottle).

Any recommendations for some sort of liquid spray I could use to just soak the poo poo out of all the plants and kill these little bastards, or at least to dissuade them from eating my plants? I'm okay doing multiple/continual applications throughout the summer if necessary.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

foxatee posted:

So should i pull off the little obviously dead flowers? I have petunias that I do this with. Both plants were mother's day gifts, and I really don't have a green thumb.

Yes. For any transplant, you want the plant to focus on new leaf and root growth instead of on reproduction. That's what flowers are really for. Remove those and the plant will put all of its energy into growth instead of doing 2 jobs. Note that if it isn't late enough in the season for the plant to try to flower again, you'll have to keep removing flowers for a few months. That's more of a problem though with plants that flower until frost (roses, etc).

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

kedo posted:

I've got spider mites everywhere and on almost every plant on my balcony. I bought some weird powder pesticide at the recommendation of my local garden shop, but I am terrible at applying it. Most of the stuff I'm growing is food, so I don't want to use anything that's going to make the food inedible (the guy at the garden shop claimed the one I'm using is okay on veggies, as does the bottle).

Any recommendations for some sort of liquid spray I could use to just soak the poo poo out of all the plants and kill these little bastards, or at least to dissuade them from eating my plants? I'm okay doing multiple/continual applications throughout the summer if necessary.

Is the powder Diatomaceous Earth? DE is food safe, as in you could lick the DE and not get sick. I just grab a cup full of it and liberally sprinkle it on the plants that are having bug problems. Just remember it doesn't work if it gets even slightly wet, so make sure the area is completely dry before you apply it.

Try neem oil if you want a spray.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is the powder Diatomaceous Earth? DE is food safe, as in you could lick the DE and not get sick. I just grab a cup full of it and liberally sprinkle it on the plants that are having bug problems. Just remember it doesn't work if it gets even slightly wet, so make sure the area is completely dry before you apply it.

Try neem oil if you want a spray.

It's Eight Insect Control, which while the packaging says it's safe on vegetables, it also has the sort of hysterical messaging you might expect on a bottle of poison, eg. "don't get it on your skin! if you eat it you will die painfully! call poison control if you even look at this bottle!"

Neem oil sounds like what I'll try next. Thanks!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

foxatee posted:

This is known as "deadheading" and it's a common practice for a lot of plants. Some plants won't bloom again unless you deadhead them, but I don't think it will hurt many.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Fiance saw something like this on pinterest and cut the books up so I planted some succulents today. Are they all going to be happy getting water every once in a blue moon or did I do something dumb?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What are these viney flower guys?

They grow all over the place in the DC area and appear to be native. Wondering if they'd make a good garden plant, as I don't think I've ever seen them in a non-wild setting.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's Campsis radicans, or trumpet vine. They are indeed native but people usually don't grow them in gardens because they're highly aggressive and impossible to get rid of once they're established. I've heard there are some less aggressive hybrids but I take that with a grain of salt.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

That's Campsis radicans, or trumpet vine. They are indeed native but people usually don't grow them in gardens because they're highly aggressive and impossible to get rid of once they're established. I've heard there are some less aggressive hybrids but I take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks! I think that's the only plant where I've seen "ruthless" pruning recommended.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Apologies if this has been talked about before.

For growing plants indoors, anyone have any fungus gnat control options? Every website I've checked has something different listed, and they all seem to be equally useless snake-oil type stuff.
I think the thing I saw that seemed most promising was replacing the top layer of soil (where larval stages occur) with sand. But obviously I'd love an easy "spray this" or "sprinkle this" kind of solution if anyone has something.
I'm using terra cotta pots, and actually not watering very much at all. But I just think the plant I potted hasn't had time to expand roots yet, so the soil isn't drying as fast as it needs to.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

cloudy posted:

Fungus gnats.

If you don't hate the smell, put out a dish of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. This will attract the adults and make them drown. For eggs and larva, you need to wash the rootball and soil out as best you can and repot. Let the pot dry out between waterings and make sure you remove any dead roots and foliage before sticking it back in the pot.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

Growers also developed a few other colors than red if that's your thing. But yeah, they're extremely aggressive, even for a native. Probably the best advice I ever heard for planting one of those is if you have an isolated telephone pole in your yard with no trees around that it can reach and spread to.

cloudy posted:

Apologies if this has bethetalked about before.

For growing plants indoors, anyone have any fungus gnat control options? Every website I've checked has something different listed, and they all seem to be equally useless snake-oil type stuff.
I think the thing I saw that seemed most promising was replacing the top layer of soil (where larval stages occur) with sand. But obviously I'd love an easy "spray this" or "sprinkle this" kind of solution if anyone has something.
I'm using terra cotta pots, and actually not watering very much at all. But I just think the plant I potted hasn't had time to expand roots yet, so the soil isn't drying as fast as it needs to.

Can you do the nuclear option and replace all the dirt? I did that once with a fungus gnat infestation.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

robotindisguise posted:

If you don't hate the smell, put out a dish of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. This will attract the adults and make them drown. For eggs and larva, you need to wash the rootball and soil out as best you can and repot. Let the pot dry out between waterings and make sure you remove any dead roots and foliage before sticking it back in the pot.

Awesome, I have done the vinegar trick with fruit flies before, didn't realize it would work for our fungal friends too.

kid sinister posted:

Can you do the nuclear option and replace all the dirt? I did that once with a fungus gnat infestation.

I think I'll go this route too since you both suggested it.
I read about sterilizing store-bought potting soil in the oven to avoid this mess again. Anyone done that before?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I had an issue with fungus gnats last year and buying those sticky yellow gnat papers to stick out of the flower pots was really really useful.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cloudy posted:

I read about sterilizing store-bought potting soil in the oven to avoid this mess again. Anyone done that before?

Store bought soil from the big brands comes sterile, assuming it hasn't been punctured and rained on. That being said, I have heard of people "cooking" soil for 10-20 minutes at 250° to sterilize it. I've heard that it works with soils already infested.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Store bought soil from the big brands comes sterile, assuming it hasn't been punctured and rained on. That being said, I have heard of people "cooking" soil for 10-20 minutes at 250° to sterilize it. I've heard that it works with soils already infested.

Most insects and their eggs die by 130f. 180f for an hour or two is what I use for cleaning wild woods and substrates.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hope you have good ventilation or you dont plan to be home for the next few days.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Hot dirt and wood smells awesome. Probably not the best idea in a small apartment though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, I'm looking at making some Kudzu blosom jelly and Mead. Maybe some beer as well. I've considered growing it indoors under extremely controlled conditions, which if I eat or burn any unused bits would be pretty drat safe. Beyond that, any ideas how to get the blossoms?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

robotindisguise posted:

Hot dirt and wood smells awesome. Probably not the best idea in a small apartment though.

Maybe I can grill it... :allears:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Am I overwatering this guy?

I have five blood orange seedlings going at the moment and over the past day or so about half of them have started developing droopy leaves. The leaves that are drooping feel mush softer and almost spongy compared to the non-droopy leaves. It hasn't been significantly hotter/colder/more or less humid than normal, and I don't think that I've been watering them much more than normal, but then again they've been super water-thirsty the entire time I've been growing them so I might have gotten careless. The soil is dry for about the first centimeter, then there rest is damp but not super wet.

I thought it might be root rot so I pulled a few of them out of their super fancy Solo cup pots – nice and healthy white roots.

e: Yeah, it was just overwatered. Sorry for the inane questions, I'm fairly new to growing stuff as a hobby and am trying to learn.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 21, 2015

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
My succulent is drooping!

I got it back around the beginning of March, along with another succulent and snake plants. They, and all my other succulents, have been getting along great. This one not so much though. I've been treating it just like my other ones, I water them at the same time when the soil is dry, and it gets some direct sunlight (north facing window) and I live in socal. I'm getting contradicting info on google, either too much/too little sun or water? Also, the label on it said "Cotyledon 'White Sprite'" and I'm not sure how accurate that is.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Hope you don't mind me bothering you again, but I don't know what the hell this plant is that my daughter has been growing for months now.

She planted seeds as part of a science series at the local library, but we don't know what kind. It seems to be doing okay with just daily watering, but I'd like to know how big this thing is gonna get. It also used to stand straight up, but has never been the same since we foolishly put it outside and a thunderstorm ravaged it. Anything we can do?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hello fence posted:

it gets some direct sunlight (north facing window) and I live in socal.

Where in California is the sun in the northern sky? Anyway, when succulents get leggy or droopy, that usually means that they aren't getting enough light.

foxatee posted:

Hope you don't mind me bothering you again, but I don't know what the hell this plant is that my daughter has been growing for months now.

She planted seeds as part of a science series at the local library, but we don't know what kind. It seems to be doing okay with just daily watering, but I'd like to know how big this thing is gonna get. It also used to stand straight up, but has never been the same since we foolishly put it outside and a thunderstorm ravaged it. Anything we can do?

That looks like some type of wildflower. If you really want to have it stand up straight, you could train each stem by using a stake and some string.

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.

kid sinister posted:

Where in California is the sun in the northern sky? Anyway, when succulents get leggy or droopy, that usually means that they aren't getting enough light.

Wow I meant west, my mistake. Anyway, I've moved it closer to the window so hopefully it'll get more light than before. Thanks!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

kid sinister posted:

That looks like some type of wildflower. If you really want to have it stand up straight, you could train each stem by using a stake and some string.

Upon staking the stems, we discovered tiny tiny tiny green specks on the leaves. We weren't sure what they were, so I scraped a few off onto a napkin. They smooshed good. Looking at one a bit more closely, I realized these were tiny tiny bugs of some kind. We're treating them like aphids since were unsure what else they could be. I've sprayed the leaves thoroughly with soapy water, but have no idea if this is a viable solution. The plant is now outside in a shady party of the deck. Advice?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Get the best photo you can, post it here and search around for what it bugs/diseases could be: aphids, scale, mites, etc.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Best I could do with a cellphone. Google searching "tiny green bugs on plant" yields nothing but aphid, so I dunno. My Google-fu is not particularly strong.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Them's aphids.

It's always aphids. (except when it's not)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Perfect chance to build a ladybug hotel. They are cheap as chips (bamboo plus wire) and you can teach your daughter about beneficial insects and all that poo poo at the same time.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

The plant has always been indoors (except that one day previously mentioned). Right now it's sitting outside and has gone terribly limp. I'm hoping it's going to pull through because I'm not keeping that thing inside with bugs on it. I guess I'll move it to the downstairs patio. If a lady bug hotel is a viable option (I didn't know they ate bugs!), I'll make it a project with the kiddo. Thanks, guys.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Could anybody identify this for me? A friend gave it to me as a birthday present and told me to water it every other day, but this is all I know about it. It's looking bad and I'm wondering how to look after it. I'm in Taiwan, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 27, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Prognosis: Very Bad

If you let us see the uncurled leaves we can maybe identify it. For future reference you probably only wanna water like 1-2 times a week if it's indoors.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know the name off the top of my head, but if you google image search 'houseplants,' you'll see it on the first page.

Ghetto Wormhole has it right that it's in bad shape, but if you can provide it good drainage you might be able to save it. Either that or cut off the parts of the stem (with leaves of course), and stick it in a glass of water, and wait a week for it to grow new roots. Those two methods are counterintuitive to each other, but both works. :v:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of plant identification... what the heck is this?

It started growing in my thyme pot early in the spring and since the thyme hadn't really bounced back from the winter, I just let it grow for awhile. When the thyme finally started doing well I viciously uprooted this guy (it had gotten pretty big), immediately felt bad about it, and shoved him into a spare pot with the understanding that if he could survive such manhandling I wouldn't donate him to the compost pile.

The majority of the leaves died (hence the dead portion of the stem on the left), but it eventually came back stronger than ever. I'm guessing it's just some sort of weed, but I'm curious. Any ideas?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

kedo posted:

Speaking of plant identification... what the heck is this?

It started growing in my thyme pot early in the spring and since the thyme hadn't really bounced back from the winter, I just let it grow for awhile. When the thyme finally started doing well I viciously uprooted this guy (it had gotten pretty big), immediately felt bad about it, and shoved him into a spare pot with the understanding that if he could survive such manhandling I wouldn't donate him to the compost pile.

The majority of the leaves died (hence the dead portion of the stem on the left), but it eventually came back stronger than ever. I'm guessing it's just some sort of weed, but I'm curious. Any ideas?

I'm tempted to say it's blackberry, but I can't really see any prickles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Some kinda tree or bush. Compare the leaves to the trees nearby and I bet you'll find a match.

edit: I'm guessing mulberry.

Yeah definitely looks like mulberry. A bird poo poo in your pot and a tree grew from the poop :parrot:

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 27, 2015