Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Scroobius Pip is really good, the album that Introdiction is on is worth a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Drake the type of nigga that everyone wants to hate, and they will say they hate him, but they still listen to his stuff when no one is around.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

meme posted:

Klashnekoff: defunct now, as are many of his contemporaries. Quite political and issues based with a street sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-RykYU3jEA

Klashnekoff's that guy, I love some of his stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhwlaqKgOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXy2g4gSpw

Ta for the reminder, want to revisit his catalogue

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Scroobius Pip is really good, the album that Introdiction is on is worth a listen.
hes genuinely the worst rapper ever and is the perfect example of a white guy that thinks he's smarter than everyone else in hip-hop

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cole posted:

Drake the type of nigga that everyone wants to hate, and they will say they hate him, but they still listen to his stuff when no one is around.

Eh, Drake is the exact opposite for me. Only time I ever listen to Drake's music is in a public setting. By myself I'm way more liable to listen to other poo poo.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

that u guessed it rip-off just got a remix with waka flocka, a$ap ferg and father lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-_mstXfr0
og maco must be pissed

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Yuzenn posted:

In the scheme of things this won't matter in the least. Drake makes good music and trying to throw shade at him because he is effeminate and soft isn't new and doesn't seem to slow down or stop his popularity at all. It's not like Meek is 50 and Drake is Benzino or Game or some other semi fringe artist.

Meek made a bad look by dissing someone who just appeared on his album, and by that aspect alone made the project more popular and helped in sales. Meek is a very replaceable artist, but Drake is pretty unique and one of the hottest artists around.

Basically Meek dun goofed, even considering Drake put out that wack rear end diss track in response. (Seriously did he call that track Charged Up??? It couldn't have a slower and boring beat going with it....)

So does Diddy, and Dr. Dre but nobody considers them lyricists. He can be a hit maker all he wants but the conversation of top new school rappers will be between J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Drake is disqualified and relegated to just another pop music act.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
J Cole :laugh:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I need an alansmithee post like a frog needs a lillypad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

hes genuinely the worst rapper ever and is the perfect example of a white guy that thinks he's smarter than everyone else in hip-hop

Yeah I saw him live and it was shameful.

The Streets on the other hand... AGDCFF is one of my favourite albums ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Only people I see following Cole are on KTT and the odd dude here.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Only people I see following Cole are on KTT and the odd dude here.

He's got a big fan base on Twitter and reddit I think. Pretty sure he has a ridiculously loyal fan base that he seems pretty interactive with. He's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be from the odd song i hear here and there. I don't know how anyone reads KTT considering there are some other good forums out there that don't just spam pictures as much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I read KTT cos there's some guy who collected 2Gb of Future loosies and singles and uploaded them :worship:

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I knew including Scroobius pip was a mistake! Yeah, he is pretentious white guy rap, and not very good at it.
The streets are really cool and unique.
Goldie looking chain are an awful joke- was just trying to show some of what has passed for British rap before grime started to find its feet commercially.

The way the police try to suppress grime acts and events is really shameful and is the reason it is taking so long for the genre to really blow IMO- hard to make it as an artist when the police are contacting clubs and telling them there's a risk of serious violent crime when you perform. Noisey has a pretty good documentary on the subject.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't even think of Scroobius Pip as a rapper so much as he does spoken-word poetry that occasionally sounds like rap.

So yeah, I can see why that would seem super pretentious. (then again, that's just that one album I'm familiar with, maybe his others are different)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

meme posted:

The way the police try to suppress grime acts and events is really shameful and is the reason it is taking so long for the genre to really blow IMO- hard to make it as an artist when the police are contacting clubs and telling them there's a risk of serious violent crime when you perform. Noisey has a pretty good documentary on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7u115Fxr4U

quote:

Endless speculation I'm facin'
Constant controversial relations
To gun crime at Garage events
With so many claims and no evidence
Suggesting I'm the reason
For the U.K. gun-clap season

:worship:

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.

that album is so insanely good and every time im done listening to it i forget about it for a year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cole is weird. I like Cole a bunch, his mixtapes were pretty much on repeat when they came out, Sideline Story was mostly Garbage. I liked Born Sinner a bunch, and 2014 was good. But no one should ever Stan as hard as Cole fans do for him.

I think it was Bomani Jones that said Cole makes the perfect College age rap.

Almost every thing this dude talks about resonates with most people In that college age group. Psudo-deep thoughts about maturing into an adult layered over music about parties, clubs and sex.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
J Cole fans are all girls with a few confused dudes. He makes middle-class rap for kids with grants or sports scholarships. I prefer Danny Brown gently caress da police brand of politics than social critical race theory bs of Cole and his ilk.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Thanks guys

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wet Dreamz is also the most cringe song of all time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8WJdr5ttg

Keith ape ft flocka, ferg and father

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thank you so much for being in such a hurry to post this audio-only mobile youtube link of a song whose music video was embedded like 8 posts above you

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

thank you so much for being in such a hurry to post this audio-only mobile youtube link of a song whose music video was embedded like 8 posts above you

Apologies to all offended.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Mtv has a commercial about the new meek mill video. The commercial says to go to the mtv Facebook to watch it.

Because lol if mtv plays music videos on the actual network.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Marching Powder posted:

Apologies to all offended.

Accepted

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Budget Prefuse posted:

that u guessed it rip-off just got a remix with waka flocka, a$ap ferg and father lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-_mstXfr0
og maco must be pissed

just when I had started to stop mumbling "underwater squa.. killer whale killer whale killer whale" to myself..

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Cole posted:

Mtv has a commercial about the new meek mill video. The commercial says to go to the mtv Facebook to watch it.

Because lol if mtv plays music videos on the actual network.

you were watching mtv, and sitting through the commercials

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Gunplay album streaming now

http://www.itzgunplay.com/

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

http://www.power1051fm.com/media/play/26230585/

rip

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I listened to that bullshit from 7-9. Hope someone shoots Flex

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

That Gunplay record is cool, I skimmed through all the tracks and there's definitely some I'd skip but the production isn't half bad either so that helps. Lots of features

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

That Gunplay record is cool, I skimmed through all the tracks and there's definitely some I'd skip but the production isn't half bad either so that helps. Lots of features
it's pretty good. the track with curren$y is insane

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I listened to that bullshit from 7-9. Hope someone shoots Flex
lmao flex https://www.change.org/p/hip-hop-have-funk-flex-step-down-from-his-role-at-hot-97

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

loving signed.

#BEENDIGITAL

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Budget Prefuse posted:

it's pretty good. the track with curren$y is insane

Yeah that's definitely my standout. I kinda like hearing dude over smoother beats like this rather than his usual

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

gohmak posted:

So does Diddy, and Dr. Dre but nobody considers them lyricists. He can be a hit maker all he wants but the conversation of top new school rappers will be between J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Drake is disqualified and relegated to just another pop music act.

Pop music is vastly better selling than anything else so Drake will be around much longer than Cole, and Lamar had to put out an extremely poppy single in the follow up to his second album. Almost if they are lucky to get big enough will start shifting towards center, or risk fizzling out.....

Being the hardest out hasn't been cool since Beanie Sigel.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Do sales really matter anymore regarding top rappers? I don't think they do. If we went back to before 2005 when we had to buy albums none of that would matter and I'd guess Kendrick and Jeezy and those types would be on top.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

gohmak posted:

Damage is done. Drake has writers that pen entire verses for his hit songs. That may not matter to you but it does to many.

gohmak posted:

I can assure you Drake's next album will continue to be the highest selling rap album of the year and he will continue to be the dominant "new" rapper that every other up and coming artist will be compared to or expected to feature with.

He's not making anyone's "top 5 lyricists" list, sure, but he wasn't on that list even before he had an alleged ghostwriter. That's why no one cares.

I mean a reference track to "10 Bands", are you serious? Have you actually listened to the lyrics of "10 Bands"?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just watched Birdman duck every question in an interview like he was in the matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

RBX posted:

I just watched Birdman duck every question in an interview like he was in the matrix
I have long written them off as weirdo sexual predators. "Baby" is same guy that posed for a shower pic with some other dude/kid in a towel. Recently.