Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

noirstronaut posted:

Putting K Rool is such an obvious non issue since no one cares about K Rool at all.

He tops polls on literally every site. He's the most wanted on Smashboards and /r/smashbros for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

He tops polls on literally every site. He's the most wanted on Smashboards and /r/smashbros for example

The opinions of the mentally ill don't matter.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Shovel Knight also gets a lot of love in fan polls

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just want to Smash with Professor Layton

Why is that so much to ask

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Shovel Knight also gets a lot of love in fan polls

not nearly as much as you might think. here's the "top ten" stats from each character's thread on smashboards (thread views/thread replies)

quote:

1. King K Rool(1,235,621/34,290)
2. Bandana Dee(479,077/20,639)
3. Isaac(435,742/16,260)
4. Krystal(298,810/9,705)
5. Rayman (271,203/13,015)
6. Snake (228,739/7,473)
7. Wolf (197,967/6814)
8. Lip(130,769/3,392)
9. Daisy (112,658/4,817)
10. Shantae(110,660/3,386)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The opinions of the mentally ill don't matter.

Guess I can rule yours out, then.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Excels posted:

not nearly as much as you might think. here's the "top ten" stats from each character's thread on smashboards (thread views/thread replies)

I'm really surprised that Lip is ranked at all. I'd love to see her as a character but thought she simply had no support

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I'm really surprised that Lip is ranked at all. I'd love to see her as a character but thought she simply had no support

well her Stick has been in the game since melee

although we never got panel de pon so it is kinda surprising.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

still bullshit there's no tetris stage for smash bros wiiu wherein the 5th player with the tablet controls where the blocks are falling

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
is isaac from binding of isaac?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

What's Japan's opinion on K. Rool? That's probably going to be a huge factor. Do Japanese gamers care about him at all?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

VideoGames posted:

He's character from a mediocre JRPG series that was briefly popular when it started on the GBA but then died off with the DS entry.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

VideoGames posted:

Golden Sun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If you're not stuffing the ballots with Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight, and Captain Toad/ette, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What's Japan's opinion on K. Rool? That's probably going to be a huge factor. Do Japanese gamers care about him at all?

with japanese polls it's important to note that their top ten most wanted back in february was entirely veterans. but k. rool was the first newcomer under all the veterans, just barely tied with Krystal..

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SRM posted:

If you're not stuffing the ballots with Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight, and Captain Toad/ette, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Wonder Red and Magolor need my aid

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder Red and Magolor need my aid

I voted for Wonder Red

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Excels posted:

quote:

1. King K Rool(1,235,621/34,290)
2. Bandana Dee(479,077/20,639)
3. Isaac(435,742/16,260)
4. Krystal(298,810/9,705)
5. Rayman (271,203/13,015)
6. Snake (228,739/7,473)
7. Wolf (197,967/6814)
8. Lip(130,769/3,392)
9. Daisy (112,658/4,817)
10. Shantae(110,660/3,386)

Man that is a really bad list. Maybe Smash has already covered the bases better than I thought. (I would like to see Snake come back though)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like am i a crazy person for caring about Castlevania?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i think people misunderstood the point of the ballot. it's not a vote, it's a suggestion box. characters aren't guaranteed or even likely to get in just because script-abusers or fanatics voted every day for daisy or something.

the point of the ballot is the "why they should be in smash bros" box which i imagine many people put zero effort into, or just parrot memes instead of "pitching" the character to Nintendo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Like am i a crazy person for caring about Castlevania?

buy bloodstained and sell your konami stocks

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Excels posted:

i think people misunderstood the point of the ballot. it's not a vote, it's a suggestion box. characters aren't guaranteed or even likely to get in just because script-abusers or fanatics voted every day for daisy or something.

the point of the ballot is the "why they should be in smash bros" box which i imagine many people put zero effort into, or just parrot memes instead of "pitching" the character to Nintendo.

Then my 10 page essay on Wonder Red means he's a shoe in!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SRM posted:

Simon Belmont was already in "Smash Brothers" though along with Polly Pocket, Solid Snake, Bomberman, Sho from Bloody Roar, Master Takahashi, and Optimus Prime. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYCKq3q_jeY

I keep hopelessly hoping for Bayonetta and Pious Augustus. Bayonetta is like, already perfect for the game you can even already unlock a Chain Chomp as a weapon in Bayonetta 2 and has other Nintendo themed summons and stuff. All they'd have to change is have her not become naked while doing more powerful moves and she basically already is a Smash character. Pious Augustus would just own because having cartoony takes on the elder gods flailing around for his special moves would be :3:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I keep hopelessly hoping for Bayonetta and Pious Augustus. Bayonetta is like, already perfect for the game you can even already unlock a Chain Chomp as a weapon in Bayonetta 2 and has other Nintendo themed summons and stuff. All they'd have to change is have her not become naked while doing more powerful moves and she basically already is a Smash character. Pious Augustus would just own because having cartoony takes on the elder gods flailing around for his special moves would be :3:

every single aspect of bayonetta is inappropriate for children, if you remove all those adult traits like nudity, guns, hypersexuality, etc, you are left with nothing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Man that is a really bad list. Maybe Smash has already covered the bases better than I thought. (I would like to see Snake come back though)

Sakurai has a pretty solid methodology for picking characters. There's maybe a couple odd picks per game, but the roster is generally pretty well-prioritized.

Meanwhile, internet users get really hung up on randos from the 90s or who give them a boner, and then kind of collectively psyche each other up for those specific characters. That's how you end up with a wall of people demanding the fat lizard and the bikini fox.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, smash needs more villains. Who would be better?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Excels posted:

every single aspect of bayonetta is inappropriate for children, if you remove all those adult traits like nudity, guns, hypersexuality, etc, you are left with nothing.

You could literally use her model/VO/moves/everything from Anarchy Reigns verbatim and the only difference is the game would be rated T instead of E10+ like Melee was for having better graphics and Brawl was for having Snake with guns/flirtatious dialogue and such. Brawl Zero Suit Samus is like 10x more sexualized than Bayonetta is in Anarchy Reigns.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 27, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think "being a villain" is actually really that important to character priority. It would be fine if none of the next few fighters were villains.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, smash needs more villains. Who would be better?

Cia.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cia and Impa are both mega ownage in that game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

You could literally use her model/VO/moves/everything from Anarchy Reigns verbatim and the only difference is the game would be rated T instead of E10+ like Melee was for having better graphics and Brawl was for having Snake with guns/flirtatious dialogue and such. Brawl Zero Suit Samus is like 10x more sexualized than Bayonetta is in Anarchy Reigns.

Snake wasn't allowed to have guns. They gave him the tranq gun in Project M but in Brawl the compromise was "explosives are okay, guns are not"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cia for when you think Bayonetta isn't lewd enough.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Stop voting for Krystal the fox. Stop acknowledging she even exists

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Spintzel posted:

Stop voting for Krystal the fox. Stop acknowledging she even exists

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cia would be a terrible choice for a Zelda rep. A boob witch who has only appeared in a single spinoff title? Keep dreaming.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Motto posted:

He's character from a mediocre JRPG series that was briefly popular when it started on the GBA but then died off with the DS entry.

arcsig posted:

Golden Sun.

thank you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Excels posted:

Snake wasn't allowed to have guns. They gave him the tranq gun in Project M but in Brawl the compromise was "explosives are okay, guns are not"

This is hyper pedantic. I could edit my post to say "rocket launcher, mortar bombs, remote controlled missiles, claymore mines, and a grenade launcher" which are all things he has instead of "guns" and it wouldn't change anything.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

Cia would be a terrible choice for a Zelda rep. A boob witch who has only appeared in a single spinoff title? Keep dreaming.

But Zero Suit Samus is there and is from other M....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

When it comes out on the 3DS she'll be in two games so she'll be just as qualified as Kid Icarus and Little Mac. :haw:

• Locked thread