Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like the last act of The Guest :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

axleblaze posted:

Me too.

I thought it was very entertaining.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Buzzard is up on Amazon Prime. I kind of hated it, but it's worth a watch if you want to see a Nightcrawler parody/homage directed by Clerks-era Kevin Smith after he watched a lot of Jim Jarmusch

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

axleblaze posted:

Me too. There is pretty much nothing I would change about The Guest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I think the angle it takes works, because the film presents itself as a Message Film about PTSD and war for about the first fifteen minutes... then slowly goes further and further off the rails until the main character is fighting Nick Fury in the middle of a school haunted house to the sounds of Perturbator.

It's not like the last act is some jarring shift, the film methodically builds into it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp looks amazing.

Gonna watch it wif my lady tonight.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

magnificent7 posted:

Holy poo poo Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp looks amazing.

Gonna watch it wif my lady tonight.

Bad news... It's out on the 31st

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I love the third act of The Guest. Even beyond the whole "over-the-top goodness" idea, the fight in the haunted house is amazing, the thumbs up and the "I don't blame you!" is hilarious, and it has one of the greatest last lines ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well the third act of The Guest maintains the quality directing, score, cinematography, etc. yes. I just think that the actual plot of the third act is disappointing compared to the many theories I came up with while watching it, none of which sound like I'm describing the climax of a Jean-Claude Van Damme film.

e: it's like if Drive had ended with Ryan Gosling being a Terminator, basically

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a worthy uhh posted:

Bad news... It's out on the 31st
MOTHER FUCKER.

Dammit. It better be amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

MOTHER FUCKER.

Dammit. It better be amazing.

Yeah they have that stupid trailer blueballing everyone when you turn Netflix on. I clicked on it thinking it was up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cinema Paradiso is on Netflix and terrific if you haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So I tried watching Longmire but I bailed after 25 minutes or so (when he gets punched by the Indian). Is this series worth trying again at some point?

I started watching Broadchurch instead and it seems far more engaging after one episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

So I tried watching Longmire but I bailed after 25 minutes or so (when he gets punched by the Indian). Is this series worth trying again at some point?

It's not exactly bad, but it's telling that the demo it's super popular with is 30+ year old Southerners. Like when my girlfriend worked at Wal-Mart she said so many rednecks bought the DVDs of that show it was insane.

Basically it's like a lower rent Justified I guess, or a high rent Walker Texas Ranger.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

It's not exactly bad, but it's telling that the demo it's super popular with is 30+ year old Southerners. Like when my girlfriend worked at Wal-Mart she said so many rednecks bought the DVDs of that show it was insane.

Basically it's like a lower rent Justified I guess, or a high rent Walker Texas Ranger.
Hmm, yeah, that was kinda the feeling I got. I figured it would get a bit better than the pilot but it didn't seem like the type of show that would really become amazing. I'll keep it in mind if I somehow run out of better shows to watch :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

I loved the entire movie. I treated it like I was watching a vampire film and it was fun as all hell.

precision posted:

e: it's like if Drive had ended with Ryan Gosling being a Terminator, basically

I am confused. This would be the best movie ever, but your tone doesn't sound like you agree.:confused:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

precision posted:

Speaking of Justified, is it good? Heard real mixed things but I'm down with the whole lawman with a six shooter deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rough Lobster posted:

Speaking of Justified, is it good? Heard real mixed things but I'm down with the whole lawman with a six shooter deal.

Absolutely. Check that poo poo out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah it's a pretty entertaining show.

It has a few ups and downs plot wise, just kinda had a few arcs that were a little more boring than the rest but overall it's totally worth it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

"Blisster" posted:

The Third Man is amazing ... I know the zither soundtrack is sort of famous but I did find it wore on me a bit.

I genuinely hate that soundtrack, none of it works for me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, I think the angle it takes works, because the film presents itself as a Message Film about PTSD and war for about the first fifteen minutes... then slowly goes further and further off the rails until the main character is fighting Nick Fury in the middle of a school haunted house to the sounds of Perturbator.

It's not like the last act is some jarring shift, the film methodically builds into it.

It's really pretty jarring. Generally slow small town thrillers don't [spolier]cap it off with a brief action movie, then suddenly a knife fight at the haunted prom[/spoiler], but seamlessness ain't the point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

The seasons vary in quality but they're all good. I'd say seasons 2 and 3 are the show's peak. It suffers from "should have ended sooner" syndrome.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
RE: Justified, I never got tired of hearing Walton Goggins play Boyd and aside from the Michael Rappaport season, all of the guest villains have been pretty much top-notch (even Mike O'Malley).

I really love that small town-feel and setting, so I'm a huge fan of the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched The Guest last night and loved it. Adam Wingard has great soundtracks for his movies. I liked the 3rd act, too.

Then I wanted something lighter and binged through the first four episodes of Bojack Horseman season 2, and it's awesome. They're really mixing the elements together well, letting the characters live more, while still bringing a cynical weight to the drama, which I love. The chicken episode is hysterical.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea, add me to the pile of those who really enjoyed The Guest. I had read a little too much about it so I didn't go in completely blind but it was still a really fun ride. Wingard is definitely someone I'll be paying close attention to, I look forward to whatever he does next.

That's also two really good performances now by Maika Monroe, I just saw It Follows recently as well.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

That first trailer they released for First Day of Camp has me kind of excited. I'm cautiously optimistic since I didn't think Wanderlust was funny and I couldn't get through They Came Together last night.

So I watched The Guest instead and it was pretty badass. I can understand that some people wanted a different third act and I think that version could have been good, too. But I have a soft spot for 90s "trashy" thrillers that I used to watch on Cinemax or wherever, and The Guest made me think of those.

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 27, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rough Lobster posted:

I started watching it because I wanted more Seth Bullock, but I stayed for Walton Goggins.

Don't get me wrong, Timothy Olyphant is fantastic so I still got my Deadwood fix, but the way Boyd Crowder delivers his lines is just next level.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Olyphant is so much better in Justified than in Deadwood it isn't even funny. He is and always has been the consistent low point of Deadwood (such as it is), but his smart aleck ultra-hardboiled character in Justified is way better.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Olyphant is so much better in Justified than in Deadwood it isn't even funny. He is and always has been the consistent low point of Deadwood (such as it is), but his smart aleck ultra-hardboiled character in Justified is way better.

I loved Olyphant in Deadwood. He came off as such an immature little baby, while looking like he should be your standard issue brooding Clint Eastwood type, it was great. Our white hat is this sulky wiener who spends most of the series digging in his heels & refusing to step up.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Speaking of Justified and westerns, the 4th season of Hell on Wheels was added on Netflix recently. It's generally a solid western frontier story with a good dash of Civil War aesthetic thrown in. It's highly dramatized/fictionalized of course, but all in all I think the quality of the show has maintained itself.

I was glad to see there was a new season up because I just wrapped up season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and that turned out to be a bit of a slog to get through. Should I forge ahead? I've heard negative things about the quality of the show as it drags on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Season 3 of that show was by far the worst.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Season 3 of that show was by far the worst.

Was season three the one where they went to Ireland? I lost pretty much all interest in the series at that point and never came back.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of Justified and westerns, the 4th season of Hell on Wheels was added on Netflix recently. It's generally a solid western frontier story with a good dash of Civil War aesthetic thrown in. It's highly dramatized/fictionalized of course, but all in all I think the quality of the show has maintained itself.

I was glad to see there was a new season up because I just wrapped up season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and that turned out to be a bit of a slog to get through. Should I forge ahead? I've heard negative things about the quality of the show as it drags on.

Sons of Anarchy is melodrama for dads who buy Harley(tm) branded apparel so that people know wherever they go that they own a Harley(tm) and only ride it on weekends if it's sunny out or rev it in their garage once in a while during the week if upper management gives them poo poo about their TPS reports.

I slogged through it and besides the gaping plot holes my favorite parts were whenever they had to edit The gently caress out of chase scenes to give the illusion of speed to these modified tractor engines on wheels. I like to compare it to Spartacus, which is actors having fun chewing scenery with a terrible script, whereas SOA is actors chewing scenery dead serious with a terrible script.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

Was season three the one where they went to Ireland? I lost pretty much all interest in the series at that point and never came back.

Yep. It was a nightmare thaterased all goodwill I had for that show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I'd say you should probably stop now. The only entertainment I got out of the last few seasons was the SA thread, other than that it was wasted time I wish I had used differently.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Walt Goggins is fun in it, and Kim Coates will probably never have another similar opportunity but gently caress that show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LogisticEarth posted:

Did season 4 get any better? I enjoyed the 1st season but gave up after 4-5 episodes of the 2nd season and from reading the above the 3rd season sounds terrible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yep. It was a nightmare thaterased all goodwill I had for that show.

Man, that must have been a hell of a bad season; it didn't just stop my interest in the show, it apparently caused my brain to format that portion of my memory, so that now only "Ireland", "Peggy Bundy Biker Wife" and "it's sort of a white trash Hamlet" remain, wedged awkwardly between my new address and how to make bacon in an oven.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing I recall about SOA is that they handled a rape with remarkable maturity and sensitivity, considering the rest of what the show is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The main thing I recall about SOA is that they handled a rape with remarkable maturity and sensitivity, considering the rest of what the show is like.
Dude I wouldn't piss off Henry Rollins, either. He was pretty much the best part of the 4 or 5 seasons I suffered through of that show. Also, that weird guy who played the priest in Deadwood, but he was a bit character and only lasted 1 season.

Also the woman being raped is the writer's wife IRL, and the writer is well known for his cuckold fetishism. And making the audience listen to her sing.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 27, 2015