Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sadly, you just missed it. There was a code a week or two ago to promote Ant Man. And it was only for new accounts or for accounts that have been inactive for more than six months.

They do a similar promo a few times a year, so it'll come around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

nm found it

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 22, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oni's got a linewide sale on Comixology. Any thing in there worth a poo poo?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

zoux posted:

Queen and Country and Stumptown. I also read a few issues of Princess Ugg and they were ok. Not great, but ok.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Scott Pilgrim, obvs, if you haven't read it already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Know what I love? The big ol' Scott Pilgrim banner when I CAN'T BUY THE loving BOOKS because they sold the UK rights to some publishing shitlords that see digital as some sort of witchcraft. Seriously, the only 'legit' way to get those books digitally here is a dedicated app with in-app purchases for each volume. In SD and b&w.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Letter 44
The Bunker

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK that's enough no one say any more good comics from that sale.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

OK that's enough no one say any more good comics from that sale.

Sixth Gun. It's like Hellboy in the Old West.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Rick and Morty is great if you like the show, and prob just ok if you don't

Lost at Sea is great and don't let Scott Pilgram color your view of BLOM cause most of what he does isn't "LOL Monkey Cheese, Video Games, GIRLS ARE HARD"

And Black Metal is the best thing if you had a metal/punk band in high school

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

trashbuilder posted:

Rick and Morty is great if you like the show, and prob just ok if you don't

Lost at Sea is great and don't let Scott Pilgram color your view of BLOM cause most of what he does isn't "LOL Monkey Cheese, Video Games, GIRLS ARE HARD"

And Black Metal is the best thing if you had a metal/punk band in high school

Maybe read Scott Pilgrim again, too, buddy because that's not the books I read? I read a series about some distinctly work-in-progress 20somethings with a bit of video game inspired magical realism used to reflect the mental states and cultural context of the characters. Y'know... Kinda like Lost At Sea and Seconds?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I've never heard of SP being anything but extremely good.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I wasn't a huge fan, and to me SP vs lost at sea and seconds seem very different to me.

SP feels like it is referencing stuff to show me how the characters interact and who they are rather than showing me who they were like in the other works.

Also kind of related but I grew up in downtown toronto in the bathurst area and know all the land marks that are there and even some of the backgrounds from the books and it kind of made me dislike it. I'm not sure why. ie The fight in honest eds was to me the same loving jokes everyone makes about honest eds

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll be honest and admit I haven't finished Seconds, to be fair. I got to like chapter 4 or 5 and just haven't gone back to finish it, but the lead character seems a lot like Scott and Ramona, just more focused on her professional and social life than romance. (Full Scott Pilgrim series spoilers) Scott's whole thing is that he does the all too common thing of editing situations to make himself the victim/hero to the point of buying it himself, and Ramona is pathologically averse to relationship conflict, preferring to just move on to the next person and let that cause the break-up so she never has to actually deal with her issues. The series ends with them both realising this, and deciding to try again and maybe NOT do those things in the hope of growing as people. (as an aside, my favourite moment in the books is probably the stuff with Scott's exes, especially the brief mature conversation he has with Envy in book... 3? Where he actually wonders what the gently caress happened to them, instead of just reflexively blaming her) (I think this is why BLOM changed the original ending and because the movie skips a lot of this development in favour of the Knives stuff, it's why the ending doesn't really work for the film)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

Sixth Gun. It's like Hellboy in the Old West.

Is it over now? I started reading it and it was cool but I prefer to wait and read the whole thing in one go

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Is it over now? I started reading it and it was cool but I prefer to wait and read the whole thing in one go

There is one more arc from the sound of it. I haven't quite caught up, myself, but I bought up to the penultimate arc during the last sale.

There's also a ton of spin-off mini-series, but I haven't read any of those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

From those listed.

The Sixth Gun
Letter 44
The Bunker
Wasteland
Stumptown

I've heard good things about Queen and Country but never read it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
You can buy Scott Pilgrim with a VPN possibly.

I used to buy Godzilla in Japan that way but that was back when I could do IAP in the App.

Also isn't it supposed to be on sale? I only need 6 in colour but it's showing 14.99 for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You need to enter "ONI" at checkout.

EDIT: Oops, not the digital comics thread.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 25, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Uthor posted:

You need to enter "ONI" at checkout.

EDIT: Oops, not the digital comics thread.

Thanks!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is there anything I should read after Thanos Imperative? (Annihilators?) I've really been enjoying the whole Abnett/Lanning cosmic run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Annihilatiors isn't as great as it should be but it's the next part of the cosmic stuff

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's not great, but the Rocket and Groot backup story is!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
are there any really sweet moon knight runs

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

spectres of autism posted:

Ellis had a dope six issues.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Ellis' recent six issues were great. They were followed up by Brian Wood's mini-run, which was rockier, but still okay. Now we're five issues into Cullen Bunn's version, which I really like.

I liked Huston's run from 2006 back when I first read it, but it's been years now. I don't know how I'd feel if I revisited it.

Bendis' run is terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If you can dig 80's comics the original run by Moench/Sienkiewicz was pretty boss, the short lived Huston/Finch run from 2006 is also supposed to be pretty boss, but I haven't read it yet.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
thanks dudes

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

okay wait which FF series was it where johnny died/came back?

edit: because I'm reading Amazing Spiderman and I need to read about this story arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HogX posted:

okay wait which FF series was it where johnny died/came back?

edit: because I'm reading Amazing Spiderman and I need to read about this story arc.

Hickman's Fantastic Four, starts at 570, ends around #588 or something when Johnny dies, that's when FF (Future Foundation) starts, then Johnny comes back in Fantastic Four #600 (the numbering is pretty confusing, if you want to read the whole series look up the reading order) if all you care about is Spider-Man, definitely read the FF issues because he joins the team then. Also the issue immediately after Johnny's death has a great Spidey/Franklin story as they bond over dead uncles.

Edit: if all you want is the arc where Johnny dies it probably starts around 582-584.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 27, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read all of Letter 44 up to the current month (and subscribed for the rest) and I found it to be a great sci-fi story that reminds me of some of my favorite scifi novels. Any other strong scifi comic stories that compare in quality? (and I don't just mean "set in space")

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm currently loving Morrison's Nameless. https://www.comixology.com/Nameless/comics-series/34762?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
It's a little tough going though. Being about some sort of dreamscape PI investigating a psychic satanic asteroid, it's not the most straight forward storytelling.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm currently loving Morrison's Nameless. https://www.comixology.com/Nameless/comics-series/34762?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
It's a little tough going though. Being about some sort of dreamscape PI investigating a psychic satanic asteroid, it's not the most straight forward storytelling.

:swoon: Thank you for pointing this out. Grant Morrison on something original? gently caress YES! No need to buckle up, because where were going we don't need seatbelts.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, it's uh, pretty cool. It's almost so obtuse in the that you as the reader know that you're just not being given everything, so you just end up flying with it and it just...works. Evil asteroid, mysterious siguls, everyone's dying horribly...bring it on.

booyah ahahaha woooooooo

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm starting that miles morales ultimate spider man: But there's back story to it I haven't read. Anyone know which series it is that sets this up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HogX posted:

I'm starting that miles morales ultimate spider man: But there's back story to it I haven't read. Anyone know which series it is that sets this up?

Ultimate Comics: Fallout

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I have been away from Marvel comics since about Siege. I just picked up Marvel Unlimited. I am looking for recommendations on where to start reading. I used to read Thunderbolts, Punisher: War Journal, Bru's Captain America (going to pick up where I quit buying trades), Moon Knight (the version where he was super crazy and hallucinating maybe Finch art). I used to dig Fraction, Bru, Hickman, and Aaron.

1. What are some of the best series that have come out since Siege?

2. I haven't read much X-Men. Where is a good place to start? Morrison's run? I'm not opposed to reading the likes of Excaliber, X-Factor, X-Force, and other offshoots. Anything specifically good in those runs or just read it all?

3. Looking over Fantastic four stuff. Do I want to start with Millar? maybe a little farther back?

4. Daredevil. I have honestly never read any of it. No clue, but interested. Any place to begin would be great.

Finally there is not any DC service like Marvel Unlimited is there?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-Men: I would say start with either Grant Morrison's New X-Men or Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Read Morrision's run first if you're going to read both.

Fantastic Four: Just start with Hickman's run. It changes to FF for a bit, then FF and Fantastic Four run concurrently for a while. Someone should be able to give you a good reading order (I can't find the right page at the moment).

Daredevil: There's three places you can start. 1st would be going back and reading Frank Miller's run from the 80's. It's a classic for a reason. 2nd would be starting with Bendis' run in the 00's. It's really good and a bit more modern. 3rd would be Mark Waid's run from a few years ago. It's much more lighthearted and a nice departure from the noir-ish action of Miller or Bendis' tendency to pile more and more poo poo on Daredevil.

Jason Aaron has done a lot of good work at Marvel. He killed it on Wolverine for years. He wrote Wolverine and the X-Men, which started off great, but got sidetracked by events for a while in the middle. The one thing everyone will tell you to read is Thor: God of Thunder. It's like a painting on the side of a van was turned into a comic book.

Also, definitely check out Fraction and Aja's recently finished Hawkeye and their older run on Iron Fist. Both are great.

Warren Ellis wrote six stand alone Moon Knight issues last year that were amazing. Give those a read. They're pretty quick, so you can probably go through the whole thing in under an hour.

No, there isn't anything similar from DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HogX posted:

Just checking, are you starting at the 2011 series, not the 2014 one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I have been away from Marvel comics since about Siege. I just picked up Marvel Unlimited. I am looking for recommendations on where to start reading. I used to read Thunderbolts, Punisher: War Journal, Bru's Captain America (going to pick up where I quit buying trades), Moon Knight (the version where he was super crazy and hallucinating maybe Finch art). I used to dig Fraction, Bru, Hickman, and Aaron.

1. What are some of the best series that have come out since Siege?

2. I haven't read much X-Men. Where is a good place to start? Morrison's run? I'm not opposed to reading the likes of Excaliber, X-Factor, X-Force, and other offshoots. Anything specifically good in those runs or just read it all?

3. Looking over Fantastic four stuff. Do I want to start with Millar? maybe a little farther back?

4. Daredevil. I have honestly never read any of it. No clue, but interested. Any place to begin would be great.

Finally there is not any DC service like Marvel Unlimited is there?
1. Jason Aaron's Thor, Hickman's F4 and Avengers, Waid's Daredevil, Superior Iron Man

2. As others have said Morrison or (eh) Whedon. Remender's Uncanny X-Force, if you want to go way back, pretty much any Uncanny X-Men or New Mutants from the 80s, as well as early Excalibur

3. Millar's is not terrible, but it's also not too great and not really essential. Start Hickman's with Dark Reign: Fantastic 4, then find a reading order since it gets weird partway through. Go back to Waid's run, too, if you haven't read it.

4. Everyone else has this covered.