Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I am debating if I want to go straight for Rend in my new game. I could but I hate how short potion durations are and really want to get at least a few alchemy skills sooner rather than later. Argh.

Well I dunno how you would do this in terms of progression, but how about aiming for something like this:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s...C11xalchemy_1_4

That gets you max Axii for conversations plus the awesome Yrden upgrades, could always put a couple points in another alternate Sign to switch out for Delusion during combat, if you want. You get increased Toxicity and a decent boost to duration from Alchemy, letting you use a couple decoctions at once. Then sword stuff down to Rend I'm kind of guessing there, I haven't played as swords build much.

I'd strongly recommend the nine points in Signs for trap stuff if you haven't played around with alt-Yrden (in combination with regular Yrden, you can have multiple down at once!). What I linked is fairly late game but you'll still have 10-20 points to go fill in where you like.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
:ohdear: I hope the expansions will be available in NewGame+

I also want NewGame+ to be the style where the enemies levels aren't scaled and I can wreck that bitch rear end level 4 griffin immediately. Or you know, give us a choice at least.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
So I'm doing the quest where the troll, godling, doppler and werewolf want to "scare" you. The rest want to let me go, but the werewolf wants to fight. After his HP drops to zero, he keeps going to a same spot on the area, I get a sound loop of his roar and nothing else happens. His empty life bar stays on the screen. I can't hit him anymore, but if I Aard his rear end, he drops on the ground. Nothing else happens and the quest won't progress/finish.

Is this a known bug or something? I'm on PS4 and latest patch.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Just discovered the cellar entrance under Reardon Manor. :stare:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Geralt coughs like Zoolander when he walks into those poison clouds.

I think I'm getting the black lung, Vesemir...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Well I dunno how you would do this in terms of progression, but how about aiming for something like this:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s...C11xalchemy_1_4

That gets you max Axii for conversations plus the awesome Yrden upgrades, could always put a couple points in another alternate Sign to switch out for Delusion during combat, if you want. You get increased Toxicity and a decent boost to duration from Alchemy, letting you use a couple decoctions at once. Then sword stuff down to Rend I'm kind of guessing there, I haven't played as swords build much.

I'd strongly recommend the nine points in Signs for trap stuff if you haven't played around with alt-Yrden (in combination with regular Yrden, you can have multiple down at once!). What I linked is fairly late game but you'll still have 10-20 points to go fill in where you like.
Eh, I dont care for Axii (I remember exactly one conversation where I had either a bad outcome OR axii (and nothing else)) and because I dont like swapping skills in and out - I want to set them and let them. I also dont like alt Yrden because it seems higher effort and I would need to invest too many points to get there. I am level 6 and have 20 points available so I could easily get most of the way to Rend....or dabble across all three groups. And I am indecisive :v:

edit:

Swedish Horror posted:

Just discovered the cellar entrance under Reardon Manor. :stare:
poo poo, where is this?!?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bort Bortles posted:

Eh, I dont care for Axii (I remember exactly one conversation where I had either a bad outcome OR axii (and nothing else)) and because I dont like swapping skills in and out - I want to set them and let them. I also dont like alt Yrden because it seems higher effort and I would need to invest too many points to get there. I am level 6 and have 20 points available so I could easily get most of the way to Rend....or dabble across all three groups. And I am indecisive :v:

edit:

Backside of the barn, it kinda changes the storyline of the quest, and is also yet another awesome reference

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

edit:

Follow the road from Downwarren and you'll get an Entrance on your mini-map just to the side of the road.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Metanaut posted:

So I'm doing the quest where the troll, godling, doppler and werewolf want to "scare" you. The rest want to let me go, but the werewolf wants to fight. After his HP drops to zero, he keeps going to a same spot on the area, I get a sound loop of his roar and nothing else happens. His empty life bar stays on the screen. I can't hit him anymore, but if I Aard his rear end, he drops on the ground. Nothing else happens and the quest won't progress/finish.

It's a known issue, although I think most people said that they got passed it by just loading a previous save. Hope you're a maniac like me and save every few minutes.

Also, yet another reason why PS4 should have more than 10 save slots.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

JetsGuy posted:

It's a known issue, although I think most people said that they got passed it by just loading a previous save. Hope you're a maniac like me and save every few minutes.

Also, yet another reason why PS4 should have more than 10 save slots.

I've reloaded several times and get the same thing. Werewolf just stands there after the fight stuck in a loop.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Krime posted:

I've reloaded several times and get the same thing. Werewolf just stands there after the fight stuck in a loop.

Reloaded where? at the autosave? If so, I'd try reloading before you even meet with them, if that doesn't work, I guess before you pop the quest?

Sorry that's all I got. :smith:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Played the battle of Kaer Morhen. Really good, although I wish you had to defeat more enemies for it to end. I tried to close the portals as fast as possible and I didn't even get to mop up all the baddies in the courtyard before the next cutscene. :( Also, playing as Ciri during that segment was really awesome. And then later, that finisher on (late boss)Imlerith, holy poo poo.

I took a quick look at a guide and it seems I'm still not very near the end? And I've still got a handful of sidequests and contracts left, 114 hours in. Goddamn.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Played the battle of Kaer Morhen. Really good, although I wish you had to defeat more enemies for it to end. I tried to close the portals as fast as possible and I didn't even get to mop up all the baddies in the courtyard before the next cutscene. :( Also, playing as Ciri during that segment was really awesome. And then later, that finisher on (late boss)Imlerith, holy poo poo.

I took a quick look at a guide and it seems I'm still not very near the end? And I've still got a handful of sidequests and contracts left, 114 hours in. Goddamn.

Nah you're getting pretty close to the end. The pacing is weird on the main quest because you get all the buildup and an explicit warning about completing character sidequests before you embark for the Isle of the Mists, but that isn't remotely the end of the game.

If you just played straight through I doubt you have much more than ~5 hours on the main quest. A decent chunk left but you're near the really truly final showdown.

114 hours sounds about right, it really says a lot about how much effort went into this game that you can dump 100-120+ hours on a single playthrough and rarely was anything repetitive or grindy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I did almost every sidequest before going to Isle of Mists and it goes very quick from there out. You've already seen that
you need to do a bunch of sidequests to get friends to join you at Kaer Morhen. I had already done them so the whole of act 2 was me just running around talking to them before the fight.

For the final act, there's more story missions I think and some VERY FUN sidequests which you should absolutely do.

Really, it feels like if you do the sidequests before then, the game is like 75% act 1. *feels like*.

Still an immense game and I think is my favorite game ever now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Metanaut posted:

Yes.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I like that almost all the side quests are unique and interesting, unlike other RPGs where it's 'collect 10 wolf asses', repeated 100 times.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
PSA: don't be a colossal idiot like me and leave doing Gwent until the end of the game. You will miss out on many chances to get great cards. My deck is still alright but I won't be able to get Ciri, Djikstra and Roche.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Bemis posted:

PSA: don't be a colossal idiot like me and leave doing Gwent until the end of the game. You will miss out on many chances to get great cards. My deck is still alright but I won't be able to get Ciri, Djikstra and Roche.

I don't think I missed any rare cards but NewGame+ is the only way I finish that quest.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

We beat the game last night. It's super amazingly good - here's my opinion on the ending:

I kind of wish the plot was flipped so that the game ended with the battle at Kaer Morhen. That was probably the high point of the entire game... the lead-up was perfect and the entire scene was amazing.

The actual ending of the game is kind of the same thing again - you lure in the Wild Hunt and attack them. But there's less buildup, less stakes, and the plan is much less clear. The characters seem less stressed and the planning phase is practically nonexistent - the sorceresses stand on a cliff, but what exactly are they doing? For comparison, we knew EXACTLY what Yen and Triss were doing during the Kaer Morhen battle. There are less good characters present - no Siskel and Ebert, no dwarves, etc.

Everything after the battle is really good, I just thought the battle was less impactful than the last battle.

Ending spoilers: Act 3 is thin in general compared to the entire rest of the game and while I know they initially never planned one, I think it could really benefit from an Enhanced Edition.

That said, they do say what the sorceresses are doing. They're blocking the Wild Hunt from retreating. Presumably Avallac'h told them how to gently caress with their navigators.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been cleaning up some left-over quests after having beat the game and just realized I apparently hosed myself for assassinating Radovid because I snapped Dijkstra's leg like a twig

Bummer, I'm sure that questline is probably pretty cool :/

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PantsBandit posted:

I've been cleaning up some left-over quests after having beat the game and just realized I apparently hosed myself for assassinating Radovid because I snapped Dijkstra's leg like a twig

Bummer, I'm sure that questline is probably pretty cool :/

It is, and you did.

The one disappointment I had in the game is that the events of this quest really don't seem to have much effect in the playable gameworld.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

novaSphere posted:

and it doesn't consume the adrenaline

:captainpop:

Holy poo poo, really? Why have I never heard of this before

End battle spoilers:

The Sharmat posted:

That said, they do say what the sorceresses are doing. They're blocking the Wild Hunt from retreating. Presumably Avallac'h told them how to gently caress with their navigators.

Yeah, I feel that would have been fine if there'd been just a few seconds in a cutscene or something reminding you of this. Like boss elf yells at navigator, navigator says "we can't leave sire, it's those darn sorceresses", cut to Triss & co casting some blocking spell.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I have two questions on the basic Griffin gear. Where are the maps for them(I've found all the cat school ones but I'll go after them when I'm closer to their location) and at what level would it be feasible to take on the level 14 Wyvern guarding the silver sword? I'm at level 9 now but I'm not sure if that's high enough to do any damage to it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Beeez posted:

I have two questions on the basic Griffin gear. Where are the maps for them(I've found all the cat school ones but I'll go after them when I'm closer to their location) and at what level would it be feasible to take on the level 14 Wyvern guarding the silver sword? I'm at level 9 now but I'm not sure if that's high enough to do any damage to it.

If that wyvern is where I think it is, you can totally cheese the fight by shooting it with the crossbow while its over the water. It'll fall in and immediately drown. :v:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm doing the mystery of the Byways murder contract and just went down the ladder to the cave from the house, and it's raining in the cave. With thunder and everything. Geralt is obviously irritated by this freak storm.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

OAquinas posted:

If that wyvern is where I think it is, you can totally cheese the fight by shooting it with the crossbow while its over the water. It'll fall in and immediately drown. :v:

That's absurd, but I like it. I might try that, thanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Romes128 posted:

I'm doing the mystery of the Byways murder contract and just went down the ladder to the cave from the house, and it's raining in the cave. With thunder and everything. Geralt is obviously irritated by this freak storm.

Wind's howling.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

That's absurd, but I like it. I might try that, thanks.

"Wait for an opportunity." :ThatstheWitcher:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Geralt's random weather comments can be pretty funny. The quest where you are helping a guy summon rain, the storm starts and Geralt's like "Look's like bad weather".

Beeez
May 28, 2012
He once noted it was raining five or ten minutes after it had started raining, for me.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Are there any really basic gwent for dummies guides? I'm on my second playthrough and am really trying to make a go of it, but I haven't won a game yet so clearly something's not clicking.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Beeez posted:

He once noted it was raining five or ten minutes after it had started raining, for me.

This is consistent with the amount of potions in his system, Geralt has been high as gently caress and tweaking out in my game for the last 20 hours.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silentgoldfish posted:

Are there any really basic gwent for dummies guides? I'm on my second playthrough and am really trying to make a go of it, but I haven't won a game yet so clearly something's not clicking.
I dont know of any guides but the people in this thread can throw tons of basics at you. What is exactly giving you trouble?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

HERAK posted:

This is consistent with the amount of potions in his system, Geralt has been high as gently caress and tweaking out in my game for the last 20 hours.

He's got remarkable composure for someone who's constantly tripping balls.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Silentgoldfish posted:

You need to learn how to concede a game to ensure card advantage in the other two.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

On PS4:

I'm scavager hunting for some upgraded Cat gear. My active quest is the boots and the icon shows active at the mouth of a cave. I get there, and nothing updates. I actually found the boot schematic in the cave a while back, but it's still telling me the active bit is in the cave.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

me your dad posted:

On PS4:

I'm scavager hunting for some upgraded Cat gear. My active quest is the boots and the icon shows active at the mouth of a cave. I get there, and nothing updates. I actually found the boot schematic in the cave a while back, but it's still telling me the active bit is in the cave.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

The quest marker points you to the school glyph carved into a wall, and examining that moves it to the rough area the schematic can be found.
That being said., the quest should complete/advance if you did find it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

He's got remarkable composure for someone who's constantly tripping balls.

They can't really do it in the game because it takes control away from the player, but some of the harsher potions Geralt uses in the books are mind-altering. There's one segment in Blood of Elves where he gets murderously angry just from having taken a bunch of poo poo before a fight. Like he was on PCP or something.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Lawnie posted:

You need to learn how to concede a game to ensure card advantage in the other two.

I've been trying that but I still lose the other games...

I'm assuming the idea is to play all my lovely cards in the first round and make the opponent use their good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

They can't really do it in the game because it takes control away from the player, but some of the harsher potions Geralt uses in the books are mind-altering. There's one segment in Blood of Elves where he gets murderously angry just from having taken a bunch of poo poo before a fight. Like he was on PCP or something.

That's interesting. I did notice that the description for White Gull says it's a mild hallucinogen, though that's not on the level of Witcher PCP.