Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The right wing does believe that the IRS takes your money and burns it in ovens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The right wing does believe that the IRS takes your money and burns it in ovens.

They also believe that the IRS specifically targets right wing political organizations.

...well actually they do but it has nothing to do with their political views and everything to do with the fact that they have a tendency to just ignore the rules when it suits them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Well it's a selfish ideology so of course paying for something that might benefit someone else is wasting money.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Hey, she said she loves children, not monogamy. Maybe Wise is pro-polyamory.

Bringing up a scandal that is almost as old as that reference. How much more time before that Obama is just lips with ears?

It's actually relevant again, because those anti-Planned parenthood video people lied on tax forms, which is is a crime. But of course is they are prosecuted for this it's obviously the EVIL IRS doing the bidding of OBAMA.

And now on Unstoppable If...., the death of a princess

Git = idiot

Keening = a wailing for the dead/mourning

Also, I'll get to cross posting this in the Brit megathread.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

prefect posted:

I think it was a joke?

well i guess it did make me laugh, technically

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lady Naga posted:

The IRS: Literal Nazis.

It's been commented, by such luminaries of history and being-in-touch-with-reality as Ben Carson and governor of Maine Paul LePaige.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Internet Webguy posted:

Bringing up a scandal that is almost as old as that reference. How much more time before that Obama is just lips with ears?

And brows.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

TVs Patrick Duffy posted:

I've been meaning to get around to an effortpost postulating that Two Bulls is not A Good One but is in fact A Bad One but :effort:

Occasional Some Gizmo comics or no, Two Bulls is one of the only cartoonists I genuinely enjoy reading in this thread. And even his Some Gizmo comics provide palefaces like me some insight into tribal culture/social dynamics (which I would otherwise know nothing about), so they're not a total waste of time.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
"We have a lot of kids... because we love kids."
"Great! Personally I'm not ready yet, so I'm on the pill. Oh, and by the way since money's probably tight for you, if you ever need to see a gynecologist we can probably help you out."

I'm reminded of how the one woman who was a high-ranking PP person had a kid, and the pro-lifers couldn't figure it out, because they apparently think being pro-choice means hating children and wanting mandatory abortions for everyone.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wildeyes posted:

Occasional Some Gizmo comics or no, Two Bulls is one of the only cartoonists I genuinely enjoy reading in this thread. And even his Some Gizmo comics provide palefaces like me some insight into tribal culture/social dynamics (which I would otherwise know nothing about), so they're not a total waste of time.

Yeah, I mean, I could understand how the "before it was better" mentality might have difference nuance coming from native american culture... But I agree, I'd still like to see Twobulls even if some of those comics are stinkers. Insight into anything that isn't middle aged angry white men is interesting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Webguy posted:

In Doonesbury, Dan Quayle was a feather and George HW Bush was a waffle. (I could be remembering the wrong people here.)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

prefect posted:

In Doonesbury, Dan Quayle was a feather and George HW Bush was a waffle. (I could be remembering the wrong people here.)

I think Clinton was the waffle and GHWB was a "point of light."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wildeyes posted:

I also find his anti-drug cartoons tiresome. They often get into the same territory about the corruption of the youth, which I always have a hard time sympathizing with.

That said, I can't just roll my eyes at him. Old white guys complaining about Millennials just isn't the same as a Native American complaining about the slow suffocation of his people's culture.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TVs Ian posted:

Correct, and W was a centurion's helmet that got progressively dingier and more banged up as his administration went on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TVs Ian posted:

You're right about Clinton. And GHWB was just invisible -- the lines you saw were just comic book "a thing is happening here" emphasis.

Members of the Bush family have been depicted as invisible. During his term as Vice President, George H. W. Bush was first depicted as completely invisible, his words emanating from a little "voice box" in the air. This was originally a reference to Bush's perceived low profile and his denials of knowledge of the Iran-Contra Affair. (In one strip, published March 20, 1988, the vice president almost materialized, but only made it to an outline before reverting to invisibility.[10])

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Correct, and W was a centurion's helmet that got progressively dingier and more banged up as his administration went on.

W started out as an asterisk, as a reference to the dubious events of the 2000 election. Trudeau added the Roman helmet after the Iraq invasion began.

Oh, and Newt Gingrich was a cartoon bomb.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Stupid as Payne is, the idea of Neo and Trinity warping into a Ford Focus and sitting in some rando's lap while trying to maintain their dark, edgy demeanor is pretty funny.

It's a Jeep. Grille and headlights are correct. This matters because Jeeps are made by Chrysler, and _every_ Chrysler product with a specific entertainment system can be remote hacked - or mass hacked, it doesn't need to be targeted. Brakes, shifting, acceleration, steering if in reverse.

Fords are currently not discovered to have this issue.

This is a Big loving Deal and a measure of incredible stupidity in design.

And the worst part is I literally warned them about not allowing this sort of thing this circa 1990.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Warcabbit posted:

It's a Jeep. Grille and headlights are correct. This matters because Jeeps are made by Chrysler, and _every_ Chrysler product with a specific entertainment system can be remote hacked - or mass hacked, it doesn't need to be targeted. Brakes, shifting, acceleration, steering if in reverse.

Great. Watch Dogs was right about something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do I understand correctly that the brakes etc. are on the same system as the 3G fancy computer system, and there's not a failsafe? :eng99:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

alnilam posted:

Do I understand correctly that the brakes etc. are on the same system as the 3G fancy computer system, and there's not a failsafe? :eng99:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
You hadn't heard? Yes, it is THAT BAD. As in people can _wardial_ for cars. From anywhere on the net. Hack one or all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Warcabbit posted:

Fords are currently not discovered to have this issue.

This is a Big loving Deal and a measure of incredible stupidity in design.

And the worst part is I literally warned them about not allowing this sort of thing this circa 1990.

Okay yeah, that's pretty hosed up. Probably deserved a different treatment than a date movie reference.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

You hadn't heard? Yes, it is THAT BAD. As in people can _wardial_ for cars. From anywhere on the net. Hack one or all.
Haha that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas reference.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

alnilam posted:

They aren't supposed to be connected, but the software running the entertainment console could be over written remotely to get to the actual car stuff, including accelerator, brakes, steering in reverse and so on. Basically, they counted on software isolation when in fact the car's network should be either be totally physically isolated, or you go all in like Tesla with remote, over the air updating with security written around that model.

e:fb.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

I heard mention of car hacking and being able to mess with the car's computer systems, but I thought "surely vital systems like the brakes and steering aren't on the same system, or they have a failsafe!"

I thought wrong. That's insane.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

alnilam posted:

I heard mention of car hacking and being able to mess with the car's computer systems, but I thought "surely vital systems like the brakes and steering aren't on the same system, or they have a failsafe!"

I thought wrong. That's insane.
Brakes and steering being remotely accessable is a feature, in case someone steals your car. Which, of course, leads to issues like this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
There has been a recall issued for 1.4 million cars since that article broke last Thursday.

It's the same thing as that guy who was able to hack into a plane's controls - they didn't separate the entertainment network from the control network and now people can use the former to penetrate the latter.

Basic loving design doctrine was ignored and this is the result

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Shadowed Bacon posted:

It's actually relevant again, because those anti-Planned parenthood video people lied on tax forms, which is is a crime. But of course is they are prosecuted for this it's obviously the EVIL IRS doing the bidding of OBAMA.

*holds a sealed envelope containing the next few weeks' cartoons up to my forehead*

I see: "Oh so we prosecute this group for a mistake in their tax forms, but Planned Parenthood is illegally selling baby parts and gets off scott free? I think we can see which side this so-called government is really on. :qq:" and a drawing of a giant pair of ears eating a burger labeled "toddlers".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Selachian posted:

W started out as an asterisk, as a reference to the dubious events of the 2000 election. Trudeau added the Roman helmet after the Iraq invasion began.

Oh, and Newt Gingrich was a cartoon bomb.

Wasn't W a cowboy hat at some point, maybe before the election?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That trucker looks like he's about to take revenge on the tunnel that killed his dad.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

are you kidding me

IRS regulation of political lobbying by tax exempt organizations is a farce. A Good Cartoon.

The IRS needs far more resources for enforcement than anyone acknowledges. A Good Cartoon

Nobody pays attention to the good things done at the IRS. A Good Cartoon.

The people in the IRS trying to handle political lobbying are opposed by incompetent fascists. A Good Cartoon.

Though appearing bumbling, the IRS actually treats the regulated community far better than it should expect. A Good Cartoon.

The people regulated by the IRS could all easily leave if they wanted, but stay because of the opportunities afforded to them that they won't admit to. A Good Cartoon.

The tax system is far from impenetrable and regularly exploited by people for their own gain. A Good Cartoon.

The IRS is far too friendly with people that it is supposed to crack down on, and lets them get away with anything. A Good Cartoon.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
New Gary McCoy:

And the "corrected" version:

(The difference is in the newspaper headline.)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

That trucker looks like he's about to take revenge on the tunnel that killed his dad.

God damnit now the "Uh Oh!" sounds like a taunt a'la "Garbage Day!" in my head.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

New Gary McCoy:

And the "corrected" version:

(The difference is in the newspaper headline.)

Gary McCoy, being a sloppy idiot as always.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I really like this implicit (well, maybe not that implicit in some cases) assertion that Planned Parenthood wants to kill ALL babies.

You could say they want to make sure there's no survivors or something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jurgan posted:

Wasn't W a cowboy hat at some point, maybe before the election?

After. He was an asterisk wearing a cowboy hat and then there was a cartoon where he went "PAX AMERICANIS" and wore the centurion helmet from there on out. The helmet degraded more and more during the Bush presidency.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

From earlier this year. Nice rerun, Gary.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

New Gary McCoy:

I took the liberty of looking up Planned Parenthood on wikipedia:

quote:

Planned Parenthood is the largest U.S. provider of reproductive health services, including cancer screening, HIV screening and counseling, contraception, and abortion. Contraception accounts for 34% of PPFA's total services and abortions account for 3%. PPFA conducts roughly 300,000 abortions annually, among the 3 million people the organization serves.

quote:

Services provided at locations include contraceptives (birth control); emergency contraception; screening for breast, cervical and testicular cancers; pregnancy testing and pregnancy options counseling; testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases; comprehensive sexuality education, menopause treatments; vasectomies, tubal ligations, and abortion.

Interesting that in the worldview of McCoy and his ilk, only abortions contribute to "making blacks history", but not preventing their conception in the first place. Plus, the cancer screening would be counterproductive towards that end (unless it isn't offered to blacks).

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
If McCoy did not hate women more than black people, he would feel that the attacks against PP was unfair against a pillar in the society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

If McCoy did not hate women more than black people, he would feel that the attacks against PP was unfair against a pillar in the society.
No he would still attack them because PP actually helps black women.

• Locked thread