Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think that it might have been The Onion that opined that the tragedy was not that 100 people died, it was that more than 100 people went to see Great White in the first place.

That would be t-shirt hell: "Great white kills every single one of its 100 fans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helios Grime posted:

Remember how escalators are meatgrinders descuised as transportation machinery.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedEMxO5AAU:nms:

Nothing graphic can be seen as it has been pixelated, but christ that is nightmare inducing.
Not even here fault like the guy with the ladder. At the very least she could save her son.

Well, that's the worst thing I've seen today.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw the un-pixelated version. She just...disappears.

I used to work at a concert venue that was basically a deathtrap in the event of any kind of large scale emergency. Ask me about how fun that was.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maybe I'm naive but is there no way to make it automatically stop if something, such as one of the thousands of living human being that use them, is detected in the mechanism? Like if a gear experiences resistance similar to what would be expected of human meat and just kills the motors or whatever?

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
hahaha do you have any idea how insanely expensive that would be, for like, one escalator

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why were those two women waiting at the top of the escalator ?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

According to the BBC article on the incident, a worker put the panel back after maintenance but forgot to put the screws in.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

chitoryu12 posted:

According to the BBC article on the incident, a worker put the panel back after maintenance but forgot to put the screws in.

Really? As if that's the only issue with what happened.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the ladies standing at the top might have wanted to hit the emergency stop button as well

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

im full of poo poo posted:

hahaha do you have any idea how insanely expensive that would be, for like, one escalator

True...

Which I guess means libertarian utopia China would be among the last countries to implement such a thing if it were to ever exist.

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

China has seen several escalator-related accidents in recent years, including an escalator in Shanghai that suddenly reversed direction in 2014, injuring 13 people

lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oh so they apparently knew there was a problem with the escalator and that the panel was faulty, and they had warned the lady who died.

but they didn't think to hit the emergency stop button. whoops.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This is China, let's not assume it even has an emergency stop.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Ugh, not watching....I'm not familiar with how these things work; I'm picturing a slow moving junk yard crusher. Please tell me I'm wrong.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
décapité

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4WJijnVr0

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/nord-le-chauffeur-du-bus-espagnol-decapite-va-etre-presente-a-un-juge-27-07-2015-4972991.php

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Quelle horreur :gonk:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe I'm naive but is there no way to make it automatically stop if something, such as one of the thousands of living human being that use them, is detected in the mechanism? Like if a gear experiences resistance similar to what would be expected of human meat and just kills the motors or whatever?

I'm not familiar with elevator drives, but you can measure the amount of power being used by the drive feeding the motor that makes the escalator move (or for an elevator going down, it may actually overhaul and act like a generator rather than a motor).

The problem from an electrical standpoint is, measuring power/current/voltage, how do you tell the difference between:
  • A crowded elevator with lots of people on it
  • Some idiot kids jumping up and down on the crowded escalator*
  • Someone being chewed up in a mechanism

I was wondering if there's some kind of tensioner mechanism that could be employed. If the escalator broke, suddenly it would go slack, that slack would be detected, and the drive would be e-stopped with brakes applied. Like a failsafe mechanism - brakes held back, the tension keeps a limit switch pressed. If the limit switch opens, the thing automatically kicks in the brakes and stops the drive.

* - I was at a mall where kids did this and, lo and behold, it did trip the drive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FCKGW posted:

The Onion doesn't generally make bad jokes about the victims of horrible tragedies. You're thinking of some random Twitter shithead.

Nope.

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/the-great-white-tragedy-14451

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

"I only feel safe inside a rock club when Lemmy is playing."

Can't argue with that :colbert:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Surprised nobody died and it was just six injuries.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

"I only feel safe inside a rock club when Lemmy is playing."

Can't argue with that :colbert:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA.JPG: How many more people have to die before no one ever dies again?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I'm not familiar with elevator drives, but you can measure the amount of power being used by the drive feeding the motor that makes the escalator move (or for an elevator going down, it may actually overhaul and act like a generator rather than a motor).

The problem from an electrical standpoint is, measuring power/current/voltage, how do you tell the difference between:
  • A crowded elevator with lots of people on it
  • Some idiot kids jumping up and down on the crowded escalator*
  • Someone being chewed up in a mechanism

I was wondering if there's some kind of tensioner mechanism that could be employed. If the escalator broke, suddenly it would go slack, that slack would be detected, and the drive would be e-stopped with brakes applied. Like a failsafe mechanism - brakes held back, the tension keeps a limit switch pressed. If the limit switch opens, the thing automatically kicks in the brakes and stops the drive.

* - I was at a mall where kids did this and, lo and behold, it did trip the drive.

What about just a stop bar like a wood chipper located right above the belt? Or if you want to get fancy, laser trip beams/whatever.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ Probably cheaper in China fwiw

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 28, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just employ small children or ex-jockeys to sit below the mechanism and watch for people being blended.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
It sucks to have your flight re-routed due to weather, but I cannot imagine how terrifying it must have been to experience this landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVE2LY2Xqo

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Staryberry posted:

It sucks to have your flight re-routed due to weather, but I cannot imagine how terrifying it must have been to experience this landing

Looks like near the end he let his upwind wing get high just in time for a gust. It happens. Probably not as dramatic onboard as it looked from the outside, but the blogosphere loves this stuff

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Staryberry posted:

How much did it cost the airline to replace all those poo poo-stained seats?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

This is a map of where the victims of the Station fire were found.

Lesson? If there's a fire look for any other exit other than the main exit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mak0rz posted:

How much did it cost the airline to replace all those poo poo-stained seats?
Not knowing what it looked like from the outside to know how comparable but having a very similar caught a crosswind 10 feet off the ground experience, everyone in a window seat probably just looked around confused like did that really just happen?

We had already made a redirect stop for gas after circling too long so anybody too sensitive was probably already passed out after the pilot announced we needed to stop at a nearby airport to fuel up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zedprime posted:

Not knowing what it looked like from the outside to know how comparable but having a very similar caught a crosswind 10 feet off the ground experience, everyone in a window seat probably just looked around confused like did that really just happen?

We had already made a redirect stop for gas after circling too long so anybody too sensitive was probably already passed out after the pilot announced we needed to stop at a nearby airport to fuel up.

Same and landed at Washington national. Scary but 'fun'

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

`Nemesis posted:

This is China, let's not assume it even has an emergency stop.

I saw a big green button on the other esca going down. So I'm saying they didn't think, but she was falling 7 stories through crap metal bars and junk

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

VectorSigma posted:

This is a map of where the victims of the Station fire were found.

Lesson? If there's a fire look for any other exit other than the main exit.

Yeah, that exit on the bottom right just above the dressing room is the one that the shithead bouncer wouldn't let people out of.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

While it was burning down? Why didn't the press of people just trample the douchebag?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Arrath posted:

While it was burning down? Why didn't the press of people just trample the douchebag?

He got mentioned in the press but as far as I know, nothing ever happened to him. People were far more focused on the band's manager for setting off the pyrotechnics and the owners of the club for chaining two of the four exits shut and not installing a sprinkler system.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Ten were in the kitchen, and I really wonder why nobody went into the cooler/freezer. Seems like that would be a pretty safe place to hole up, being metal and insulated and with a nice tight seal.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I saw the un-pixelated version. She just...disappears.

I used to work at a concert venue that was basically a deathtrap in the event of any kind of large scale emergency. Ask me about how fun that was.

I once farted right while I was getting on an up escalator, just before a huge group of people. I've never heard an angrier silence.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VectorSigma posted:

Ten were in the kitchen, and I really wonder why nobody went into the cooler/freezer. Seems like that would be a pretty safe place to hole up, being metal and insulated and with a nice tight seal.

That really just sounds like a way to get stuck in a terrible pressure cooker until you die a slow broiled death.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

My best guess is that they probably didn't even know it was there. If you watch the video, you can see that it only took a couple of minutes before black smoke is just pouring out of the building.

Even if they would have made it to the cooler, it might not have guaranteed their safety. The Hamlet chicken processing plant fire had a group of people that went into the walk in freezer to try to escape the fire but they died of smoke inhalation because they didn't close the door correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G5dWMXz8V8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_chicken_processing_plant_fire

quote:

An investigation was immediately launched by state authorities, joined one month later by federal investigators.[12] Investigators found indentations left on at least one door by people attempting to kick it down.[1] There were concentrations of bodies around fire exits[1] and inside a large walk-in freezer where panicked workers had sought shelter. Some sources thought they froze to death, in temperatures as low as −28 °F (−33 °C),[5] but the official report says they were killed by smoke infiltration around the improperly closed door. Twelve deaths occurred in the freezer. Five people survived there, but suffered injuries.[2] Timothy Bradly, North Carolina's Deputy Commissioner of Insurance, said that technically "There was not a single door in the plant that met the criteria of a fire exit."

The owner of the plant was a huge racist piece of poo poo on top of everything else.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slomomofo posted:

Wasn't there a similar fire at show disaster that happened in Chicago within the last 10 years or so? IIRC the issue was only 1 exit and the stairs couldn't support the rush of people and collapsed with all of them on it (club was on the fourth floor or something like that).

edit- ugh disregard, I was thinking of the E2 disaster and completely misremembering the details.

You might also be thinking of the porch/deck collapses that were a problem until the city brought the codes and enforcement up to date. An unusually large party + rotten or under-built multi-story decks that are on the back of lots of low-rise apartment buildings = bad time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Chicago_balcony_collapse

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIRST TIME posted:

I think it's been a long time since this has been posted in this thread.

The Great White Station night club fire.

A bunch of people died for no good reason because the club had poor fire suppression systems and no real plan or protocols in case of a fire. People got jammed up in the entrance of the club, trying to get out when there were other exits that were either not marked or in the case of the exit next to the stage, had a bouncer refusing to let people through because it was restricted to the band only.

The building was not up to code but had passed recent inspections anyway. The fire started because pyrotechnics that were not meant for indoor use were set off inside the building. The sound dampening foam near the stage area was highly flammable and within only about a minute, the entire club was a raging inferno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY59mR44TLs

Never ever watch this loving video after the fire starts.

I still have loving nightmares about the screams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

That firefighter waiting with the nozzle for the pump to start at the 6 minute marker has probably never slept since.

• Locked thread