Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
How was that VN by the guy who worked on Ever17 and the other games in that series? Not the one that went on to do Zero Escape, the other guy. I think instead of traditional choices you had sliders that adjusted your attitude toward the other characters or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I trust people itt to not be creepy, but not mainstream adtrw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

What game was this?
warning: there's a dude getting hosed by a dog if hit 'show nsfw images'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

How was that VN by the guy who worked on Ever17 and the other games in that series? Not the one that went on to do Zero Escape, the other guy. I think instead of traditional choices you had sliders that adjusted your attitude toward the other characters or something
the blade runner pc game used that system too. it was weird.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
VNs are great tho. But some are very hard to get into initially, due to the slow pacing and initial deluge of exposition. The coolest thing about them, is the voice actors have no limit on how they read a line. For example, the Steins;Gate VN is better than the anime IMO, because it explains things the anime glosses over, and the really dramatic scenes have better performances.

Not having to worry about run time and episode number helps a lot. Unfortunately you can also get a lot of garbage when you don't have someone to tell you to move the story along faster.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

jfc

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Juicy visual novel confession: I thought most of Katawa Shoujo was pretty good

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

its good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

man i dont even care if you get off to gay rape or whatever's in the jonjonnaug game but why would you feel the need to post about it on something awful

I don't know what compels people to want to share what they get off to.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This thread owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

the rin route was some of the worst poo poo ive ever read in my life but the rest wasn't that bad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

i think that weed girl i posted is from there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

it was better than expected considering it was made by a bunch of 4channers with a different writer for every route

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Allow me to go into great detail about what gets me off...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have only played the game-y VNs like AA and Zero Escape. i would like to play other, good VNs but i also feel like most of them could just be actual novels and i'd find them easier to get into

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

the blade runner pc game used that system too. it was weird.

It's a shame that never ended up on GOG, I've always wanted to play it but my PC's were either too old or too new.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i have only played the game-y VNs like AA and Zero Escape. i would like to play other, good VNs but i also feel like most of them could also just be actual novels and i'd find them easier to get into
voice acting and music add a lot, imo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lol the guy in the box

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a shame that never ended up on GOG, I've always wanted to play it but my PC's were either too old or too new.
yeah the systems it uses were really loving weird. even at the time it was a bitch to get running properly.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

ive played majikoi recently which is actually really funny. maybe i should watch the anime adaptation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anime is p. bad. it's mostly just the jokes from the VN, but devoid of context.

Majikoi S got fully translated recently though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Lol the guy in the box

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Endorph posted:

lots of sad and tragic but standard for rural missouri things in the news lately

You're fuckin' telling me. This kid I went to school with strangled a lady with his bare hands but that isn't a very fun story to tell.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

the anime is p. bad. it's mostly just the jokes from the VN, but devoid of context.

Majikoi S got fully translated recently though.
yeah i just got done playing S. it has way too much filler but the true route was really entertaining

also its too bad that the anime is poo poo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

i've heard the higurashi and umineko VNs have really good audio but nothing else has that sort of reputation that i know of, so it's easy to feel like most VNs don't have much over novels

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

i have only played the game-y VNs like AA and Zero Escape. i would like to play other, good VNs but i also feel like most of them could just be actual novels and i'd find them easier to get into

The secret problem of most VNs is that they are extraordinarily long-winded, which would probably be even worse if they were regular novels

And by most VNs I mean Muv Luv and Fate/stay night

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Umineko's ost ftw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

The secret problem of most VNs is that they are extraordinarily long-winded, which would probably be even worse if they were regular novels

It seems to me like the ones most people tend to talk about are like, 100+ hours or w/e?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fsn took forever to get through and i haven't read a vn since

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

ive played majikoi recently which is actually really funny. maybe i should watch the anime adaptation

I thought the tls for that died out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i've heard the higurashi and umineko VNs have really good audio but nothing else has that sort of reputation that i know of, so it's easy to feel like most VNs don't have much over novels
fate/stay night, steins;gate, majikoi, etc, all have really loving good voice acting. like the dude said, there's no limit for like lip flaps/screen time/w/e in terms of how an actor reads a line, so they can do whatever they want.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

a new group took over and they're even translating the side story games

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

It seems to me like the ones most people tend to talk about are like, 100+ hours or w/e?

100 hours is too much unless you read super slow, but yeah, lots of them are super long winded

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A lot of the vanilla discussion was just fate/muv luv/steins gate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

some people picked up the translation and finished it with the dude who started it's blessing. a separate group has done A-1, but nobody's picked up A-2 to A-5 yet, I don't think.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

majikoi has fantastic voice acting. the girl who has a pretend horse friend is hilarious

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The descriptiion of that game makes it sound like the guy only gets hosed by a dog if you tell him to get hosed by a dog.

So you could play through the game and just not click the "go get hosed by a dog" dialogue option, and it's fine.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm just saying, but unless you really hate the voice chosen from a character, you should never skip a VA's performance in a VN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoubleDonut posted:

Steins;Gate isn't even particularly long winded (I think it took about 20 hours to get the platinum trophy on Vita) and even then I prefer the anime for cutting out most of the chaff.

• Locked thread