Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Literally Kermit posted:

One more Five Nights at Freddy's 4 little thing: in all the previous games, the animatronics have had four or less digits on their hands; in FNaF4, their nightmare versions have five. This is because the kid you play as had his head forced into "FredBear", which bit down on the kid's head, damaging his frontal lobes and sending him into a nightmare filled coma.

His abusive big brother and his friends had done it only to scare him before they realized they had gone too far. Thing is, while they were picking up the kid and teasing him, they were all wearing masks of the characters from the restaurant.

So the nightmare versions the animatronics he is hiding from the whole game are a blend of the animatronics he's terrified of (another phobia his brother liked to exploit) and his big brother and friends, the bullies who teased and tormented him. Considering his last memory was being grabbed, it makes sense the nightmares would have five fingers!

Incidentally, that last bit is why the nightmares have such prominent, sharp teeth and huge jaws, and why later that Fredbear (Golden Freddy) and variations of him seem to take over as the main antagonists. The final boss fight was over before the game even started. :smith:

There's a bunch of little details like that used to tell the story in this game, unlike the first which had clippings of hidden news articles that flat out told the backstory. The one that sets it apart from the other three is there's nothing really supernatural about it at all, it just happened to happen the same week of the murders. The Fredbear animatronic wasn't strictly at fault, and the stupid kids weren't trying to lobotomize anyone. Sometimes bad poo poo happens.

That's it for Freddy posts, I'm already stretching the definition of "little things". I don't think there is a thread for it and from what the internet shows me, I don't want there to be. I can't even watch the Let's Plays without turning down the volume and standing on the other end of a well-lit room. goddamn. :jiggled:

Flowers will sometimes appear on the bedside table. Someone feels bad for what happened.

Calaveron posted:

Ok, let me rephrase. Is there a video of the game with absolutely no other type of human appearing either aurally or in a corner of the screen? Just the game, nothing else. Like a longplay, I guess.

What you want is a "walkthrough" not a "Let's Play".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Fun fact about this, during recording they played the song but didn't give any of the voice actors the lyrics so they had to sing along with/go from memory, just like you would when you were driving and a song you know but don't REALLY know comes on the radio.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I played through Saints Row 3 and this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdwbygnAc0

This is my favorite "little things in games". They don't just do part of the song or a little bit, they do the whole drat song. In each voice. Even the zombie voice.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

GrandpaPants posted:

To expand on this a little bit, in Saints Row 2 each voice you could set for your character had two songs (though one voice had three) that they would randomly sing along to on the game's 80s station, with one of them always being "Take On Me". There was no way to trigger it, they would only start singing if you were driving along normally and the song came up on the radio from the beginning. You couldn't get the singalong if you switched to the station mid-song and if you hit something with your car or started shooting people or other interruptions happened during the singalong your character would stop singing. In a game where you were spending most of your time in the middle of a horrible violent clash of some kind it was an amazingly nice touch for situations that were fairly rare. I know the first time it happened while I was playing I was amazed and ended up pulling off the road to listen so I wouldn't accidentally make it stop.

Pierce has also sung along to a song on the radio during a mission in each game he's been in, though in SR2 the Boss doesn't sing with him the way they do in 3 and 4.

Buzkashi posted:

Fun fact about this, during recording they played the song but didn't give any of the voice actors the lyrics so they had to sing along with/go from memory, just like you would when you were driving and a song you know but don't REALLY know comes on the radio.

Also this. I loving love SR2 :love:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Roro posted:

Flowers will sometimes appear on the bedside table. Someone feels bad for what happened.

An IV Drip as well. :smith:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GTA V is pouring with little things.
My two favorites that I love is:

If you're stationary and listening to the radio you player character will start head boppin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wraiz-J4eiM

And If an NPC is impressed with your car they'll take a pic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVU1AZZ9eXA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GrandpaPants posted:

There's another duet with Pierce in Saints Row 4 and it's amazing :allears:.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sleeveless posted:

"Milking" is a bit harsh considering that he actually makes some effort to shake things up each game (2 gets rid of the locked doors and adds the mask and the puppet, 3 only has a single animatronic stalking you and adds the ventilation system, 4 lets your character actually move around and adds the breathing mechanic) and adds an overarching story when he could just as easily carbon copy the first game with different mascots and maps each time and still sell a zillion copies every time just from kids and furries.

Wow each installment has incredibly minor mechanical additions that's so amazing.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Wow each installment has incredibly minor mechanical additions that's so amazing.

FNaF 1 and 2 are pretty similar but 3 and 4 genuinely play very differently than the others - most of the mechanics are just different.

There are plenty of valid complaints about the series but "they're all the same" is not one of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Videogames.txt

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

they sound minor but FNaF is so mechanics-light that "locked doors" are like 25% of the game

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jul 28, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

they sound minor but FNaF is so mechanics-light that "locked doors" are like 25% of the game

Yeah, it's a game and game type I'd never play, but I can hella appreciate how compelling of a game he was able to make with such simple mechanics. And when your mechanics are really simple to start with, minor changes are the major changes. With 4 especially--I've only watched the YouTube playthroughs but it plays totally differently from the others. Forcing the player to slow down and listen for things like ragged breathing really added to the tension imo and made it a lot more interesting than the previous ones, which felt more like learning patterns and muscle memory/twitch reflexes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I picked up the first two on Steam sales and the gameplay isn't really my cup of tea, but the storyline is pretty much episodic gaming done right. Some good cliffhangers and mysteries that let you fill in the blanks for a few months before it gave you something more to go on and all that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's another duet with Pierce in Saints Row 4 and it's amazing :allears:.

https://youtu.be/Ug0MFSFKRjY

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Roro posted:

What you want is a "walkthrough" not a "Let's Play".

Touch arcade has a pretty good story summary of the first three games.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/07/13/five-nights-at-freddys-plot-guide-everything-to-know-before-five-nights-at-freddys-4/

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Ok, let me rephrase. Is there a video of the game with absolutely no other type of human appearing either aurally or in a corner of the screen? Just the game, nothing else. Like a longplay, I guess.

It's a little early for a lot of LPers to have much up, but this guy has a no commentary playthrough. You'll have to catch the first bit of the commentary version to see the first cutscene but that's it.

Edit: I lied, here he has a video that's the entire game, nights 1-7, all cutscenes and no commentary. Enjoy.

Flesnolk has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jul 29, 2015

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

This version that plays during the credits is particularly nice because it features Michael Clarke Duncan. He was supposed to reprise his role from the first game but died before it could be finished. Volition redid his lines with Terry Crews but it's kind of heartwarming having this song with everyone singing and having it end with Michael laughing at how silly it is. :unsmith:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

If you do/look into the Paper Trail ARG whatever thing that's built into the game it revels more of what's happening in the background of the game.
DUP was in the process of getting shut down so she set up the escape of the prisoners, the MC just got caught up in the middle of it.
Also that one Conduit that died in her care? It was a set up and now she's out assassinating the people that are trying to shut down the department and frame the prisoners/Delsin and keep Conduits looking dangerous so they keep the DUP around because she knows they'd just shoot all the Conduits in her care.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

If you do/look into the Paper Trail ARG whatever thing that's built into the game it revels more of what's happening in the background of the game.
DUP was in the process of getting shut down so she set up the escape of the prisoners, the MC just got caught up in the middle of it.
Also that one Conduit that died in her care? It was a set up and now she's out assassinating the people that are trying to shut down the department and frame the prisoners/Delsin and keep Conduits looking dangerous so they keep the DUP around because she knows they'd just shoot all the Conduits in her care.

Actually they weren't going to get shot, just dumped into a military prison with the implication that the facility would make Curdun Cay look like a holiday resort in comparison.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There is a fight against 3 trolls in Witcher 3 who talk about one of them eating something bad when you approach them. Throughout the whole fight that one troll farts. He farts a lot. There is a ton of different fart sounds recorded only for that single fight including some nasty long ones and tiny squeaky ones. There are like 10 different farts there. The other trolls also get annoyed as hell at it and ask him to stop even during fighting.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Palpek posted:

There is a fight against 3 trolls in Witcher 3 who talk about one of them eating something bad when you approach them. Throughout the whole fight that one troll farts. He farts a lot. There is a ton of different fart sounds recorded only for that single fight including some nasty long ones and tiny squeaky ones. There are like 10 different farts there. The other trolls also get annoyed as hell at it and ask him to stop even during fighting.

You've convinced me to buy this game.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Witcher 3: Came for the troll farts, stayed for the GOTY

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Croccers posted:

This is actually revealed in the final conversation with her, but it comes bizarrely out of left field - at no point in the game's main plot do you get told this, and there isn't really any way to piece it together. Delsin just straight up accuses her of it, and while it makes sense, there's literally no reason for him to think that's what happened.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My favorite little thing in Second Son is that of all the acronyms they could've chosen, they picked DUP.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Witcher 3 is filled with absolutely weird poo poo like that, it's great. I caught two guards quoting the Pulp Fiction "gimp" scene the other day.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok guess I'm buying Witcher 3 today.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nostradingus posted:

Huh. That's the first kind-of-clever use of that pointless feature I've heard of.

The best use of it I've seen was the colors going all crazy to match your motion tracker in Alien: Isolation.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I like how there's reactive dialogue in Fallout New Vegas with the lady guarding Helios One in the event you are wearing an NCR disguise AND pick a failed speechcheck, which is something I imagine very few players will ever do.

She commences combat afterwards.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
I finally got around to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. As you stalk the night you can randomly walk up to a ringing phone where a woman will be searching for her husband who is a guard. The Joker will answer pretending to be a receptionist and have a little jokery dialogue. There's really no concrete story reason for you to be in that building at that time or for that conversation to happen.
Also the team did a fairly good job of foreshadowing the next two games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Johntalouette posted:

I finally got around to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. As you stalk the night you can randomly walk up to a ringing phone where a woman will be searching for her husband who is a guard. The Joker will answer pretending to be a receptionist and have a little jokery dialogue. There's really no concrete story reason for you to be in that building at that time or for that conversation to happen.
Also the team did a fairly good job of foreshadowing the next two games.

I think that call always goes off, if I'm thinking of the right area. It really confused me at first because it sounded like Oracle to me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Can a game's soundtrack have little things in it? Because Freedom Planet has multiple variations of the main villain's (Lord Brevon) leitmotif that play at moments throughout the game. They're appropriately dark and ominous in-game, but when you look at what they're actually named...

quote:

Woofle and Strife - Brev In Yo Hizzle (Lord Brevon 1) 02:42

Woofle and Strife - It's Brevon Time (Lord Brevon 2) 02:11

mycot has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jul 31, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'd prefer that over "Boss Theme 1" and "Boss Theme 2" that a lot of video game soundtracks seem to do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just love the clerks at the assassin's bureau in Assassin's Creed. All of them are such passive aggressive assholes:allears:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Alhazred posted:

I just love the clerks at the assassin's bureau in Assassin's Creed. All of them are such passive aggressive assholes:allears:

This one is my favorite:

passive-aggressive Damascus bureau rafiq posted:

"I envy you, Altair. Well, not where you were beaten and stripped of your rank, but I envy everything else! Oh, except for the terrible things the other Assassins say about you! But yes, aside from the failure and the hatred, yes, aside from those things I envy you very much!"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You hosed over one of the clerks in the intro to the game, causing him to lose a limb and such (the reason he is now a clerk instead of an assassin). That dude is just straight-up spiteful until your very last conversation with him.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The new rank he gets is a very honorable one, at least, but still a desk job...plus the lost limb and dead brother, yeah. It's fun to accept the assignment to go kill your target after doing all the intel, then walk back into the bureau and listen to the scathing abuse he hurls at you for not being done yet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You will face many opponents in Way of the Samurai 4. You will defeat most of them.

But can you defeat... yourself (from a previous playthrough)???

probably

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'd prefer that over "Boss Theme 1" and "Boss Theme 2" that a lot of video game soundtracks seem to do.

That's the thing, most of the songs do have functional names like "Stage Name 1". That makes it even funnier when you get to "Up next: Brev in yo hizzle".

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In Mafia 2 you can use a payphone to get rid of the cops (bribe). There was a random woman using the booth so my character grabbed the phone and said: "She'll call you later!" before making the bribe call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Babe Magnet posted:

You will face many opponents in Way of the Samurai 4. You will defeat most of them.

Looks like this is on Steam. I liked the first one. How is 4?