Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I know exactly who youre talking about and Im really beginning to think you and I came up with the same list of players to pick. :argh:

There are actually two -- one is a little better now but a couple years older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
hey do you want me to just take over for Joel Joel here for the Dallas Stars? Atleast until he gets back active in the thread? I hate to see my team just sit there, and it seems like it's the only team not being looked after right now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

We should just consensus pick him, the problem with multiple team drafters is they can help one of the teams at the expense of the other. It also sucks that a couple teams missed the boat because now it looks like Getzlaf went second overall when he didn't.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

We should just consensus pick him, the problem with multiple team drafters is they can help one of the teams at the expense of the other. It also sucks that a couple teams missed the boat because now it looks like Getzlaf went second overall when he didn't.

well ok but I believe the time to have consensus picked for him would have been at the end of the 1st round.

I don't think it would be very easy to help one team at the expense of the other. There aren't any trades in this draft, and even if there were it's easy enough to just say "no trades between teams owned by the same person".

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Starsfan posted:

I don't think it would be very easy to help one team at the expense of the other. There aren't any trades in this draft, and even if there were it's easy enough to just say "no trades between teams owned by the same person".

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could sabotage one team to help another, and if it's obvious people would probably call you, or whoever takes over, out on it.

e: I think he went on vacation about a week ago, he might be back in thread in a day or two.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
If he doesn't show up by the third round we can consensus pick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

There are actually two -- one is a little better now but a couple years older.

Yep. Stop reading my miiiiiiiiiind. :tinfoil:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

VJeff has about 45 minutes before he gets skipped and Brodeur's Nanny gets to pick. Does anybody have a list for Jeff?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I have his list from yesterday, but that was for his first round pick. His lower dudes are still available but I don't know if his thoughts on who he wants may have changed since then based on other guys falling a bit. Not sure if I should make his pick for him in that case

If other people in the past have done it that way where multiple rounds have been picked based off a list like that then I'd be ok doing it

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Menamino posted:

I have his list from yesterday, but that was for his first round pick. His lower dudes are still available but I don't know if his thoughts on who he wants may have changed since then based on other guys falling a bit. Not sure if I should make his pick for him in that case

I would probably pick for him based on his previous list. My next pick is real hard between a forward and a center -- I feel like the defenseman is too good to pass up, but that the center is probably the last elite center left under 30 and that offense is harder to come by.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would say if he took a d man in the first round give him his top rated forward and vice versa. Let's get moving.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

I would say if he took a d man in the first round give him his top rated forward and vice versa. Let's get moving.

I'd probably agree with this, just go to his list and take his top-rated forward, which will probably help me make my decision anyway, since he's probably the highest-rated forward for a decent amount of people.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

VJeff has about 45 minutes before he gets skipped and Brodeur's Nanny gets to pick. Does anybody have a list for Jeff?

(Jimmy Howard)

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

it makes sense to me too, because his #2 guy was a forward and he took OEL round one. Since other people approve i'll go ahead with it

Vjeff's list will make your decision easier as he takes Nicklas Backstrom

unfortunately he specified that it was the caps' one or else I could've tried to justify it as being the minnesota goalie version

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Its especially funny since SAS seems to generally hate him and Weber because ~*Fancy Stats*~ and he took both back to back.

What? Keith has the fanciest fancy stats. I wanted him badly but noooo. Perhaps you're thinking of Weber's former sidekick.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

At work - but I'll take hockey rainman Taylor Hall.
Effort post when I get home...
If I get home. (gently caress the Orange line!)

I was going to take Tay Tay on account of his ridiculous scoring rates but was dissuaded by the fact that he's an utter moron. This shouldn't have been a consideration but someone will probably brain him again soon enough.

It's funny that he went a round earlier two years ago though.

Starsfan posted:

hey do you want me to just take over for Joel Joel here for the Dallas Stars? Atleast until he gets back active in the thread? I hate to see my team just sit there, and it seems like it's the only team not being looked after right now.

Contract the Stars.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Menamino posted:

it makes sense to me too, because his #2 guy was a forward and he took OEL round one. Since other people approve i'll go ahead with it

Vjeff's list will make your decision easier as he takes Nicklas Backstrom

unfortunately he specified that it was the caps' one or else I could've tried to justify it as being the minnesota goalie version

Yep, this is a blessing in disguise for me, I was leaning Backstrom but now I can make my next pick with a lot of confidence.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Menamino posted:

If other people in the past have done it that way where multiple rounds have been picked based off a list like that then I'd be ok doing it

No, give him his time and skip him unless he told you they were his picks for this round too

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yep, this is a blessing in disguise for me, I was leaning Backstrom but now I can make my next pick with a lot of confidence.

Make this decision asap and choose between the young star forward and veteran D-man so my choice is also easier.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tofes posted:

No, give him his time and skip him unless he told you they were his picks for this round too

Too late lol. If they were good enough for round 1 I'm sure they were good enough for round 2.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

well thats awkward, thats his dude from his original list so i leave it to the powers that be to decide what is done

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Too late lol. If they were good enough for round 1 I'm sure they were good enough for round 2.

VJeff still has 15 minutes to make his pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

I was going to take Tay Tay on account of his ridiculous scoring rates but was dissuaded by the fact that he's an utter moron. This shouldn't have been a consideration but someone will probably brain him again soon enough.

It's funny that he went a round earlier two years ago though.

So Taytay...
There were a handful of young centers left I liked, and tons and tons of defensemen, but when it comes to players who are capable of putting up a PPG and are under 25, well... there's not many of those to pick from.
Hall is definitely not a sturdy player, or a particularly bright person, but when you see him on the ice it's hard to think that matters. Surprisingly adept in the corners for a skill guy (who regular gets his head knocked), he's a rare talent on the ice who - if he can put it together and stay healthy - has a long, bright future ahead of him.
(Unfortunately in real life he's on the Oilers)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

That's my bad on mentioning the list, I just remembered he used one for the pick before.

Backstrom is probably the best forward left, I doubt he'll have any issue taking him if he doesn't say anything in the mean time. I think since his name was mentioned with the pick he should probably just get Backstrom. I was definitely going to take Backstrom if he was available at my pick, but now it would just be weird.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The New Jersey Devils, with their 2nd round pick, are excited to select Ryan McDonagh.

McDonagh has been a stalwart for the Rangers for a while now -- he's one of the very best one-on-one defensemen in the NHL, has deceptive quickness, and his offensive game has been getting better and better. He's 26 years old, plays tons of minutes, and is one of the most exceptional two-way defensemen in the league and his cap hit is a steal at $4.7m for another four years. He'd be a wonderful No. 1 on almost every team, but he forms an incredible young duo with Hedman. Not sure if I would play him on his off-side with Hedman to have a game-controlling first pairing or have him anchor the second pairing so forwards would be stifled a little bit for almost the entire game. It's a good problem to have.

Now, I get to pick some forwards next. I wonder if any proven scorer will make their way back down to me next round...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sorry, just woke up. My sleep schedule is fuuuuu-hucked right now.

To remove all shadow of a doubt, Red Wings select C - Nicklas Backstrom because cool and good and Swedish.

Write-ups for Larsson and Backstrom will come soon. Oh, yes, they will come. And you will rue the day!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Wow see he made his two hour window don't you guys feel bad

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm gonna go ahead and say that when you factor in youth and contract and probably ability, I'd rather have Hedman-McDonagh than Keith-Weber.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that when you factor in youth and contract and probably ability, I'd rather have Hedman-McDonagh than Keith-Weber.

I was gonna say, that's probably the scariest pairing you're likely to ever see. To think there's a world where we could've seen McDonagh - Subban.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'd rather have Pietrangelo-McDonagh, you copycat (well not really, Hedman and Pietrangelo are of comparable value but could be paired together too). Good luck finding scoring forwards in the next round.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

I'd rather have Pietrangelo-McDonagh, you copycat (well not really, Hedman and Pietrangelo are of comparable value but could be paired together too). Good luck finding scoring forwards in the next round.

Forwards are just the mobile shields for our elite scoring defense. :smug:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Honestly, I think Hedman is better than Pietrangelo right now. They're comparable, but Heddy is the better skater and he's younger and holy poo poo his playoffs this year. I think Subban is way more game-breaking offensively, but Hedman is probably better defensively. I think Subban is the only defenseman who challenges him, but both Hedman and McD are phenomenal defensively.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I have the best pair of defensemen in the league, and hopefully I can have some fast balanced offense.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

I just realized, I ended up with both OEL and Backstrom last season, this is the second time in a row they're on the same team.

Though I picked Backstrom with my first round pick and OEL with my second.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Honestly, I think Hedman is better than Pietrangelo right now. They're comparable, but Heddy is the better skater and he's younger and holy poo poo his playoffs this year. I think Subban is way more game-breaking offensively, but Hedman is probably better defensively. I think Subban is the only defenseman who challenges him, but both Hedman and McD are phenomenal defensively.

Pietrangelo didn't have a great season but Hedman was surprisingly sheltered in the regular season and his 5v5 scoring still went down slightly, as opposed to previous seasons where he scored at ridiculous rates playing touh minutes with crappy partners.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Pietrangelo didn't have a great season but Hedman was surprisingly sheltered in the regular season and his 5v5 scoring still went down slightly, as opposed to previous seasons where he scored at ridiculous rates playing touh minutes with crappy partners.

That's interesting -- I did notice he's better defensively now though. He used to get beaten in the crease a lot and it was his biggest weakness, and he's cut that out almost completely, and he's using his size more. And his skating is better than it's ever been. Dude is still just 23, in terms of raw tools, he's loving ridiculous.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Holy poo poo, you guys hauled rear end this time around. I'll come up with our two picks for Winnipeg this evening.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving Dominican Republic does not have Internet. I'll take the trill. Should have been seguin, but whatever.

E: I'll effort post later, just got back and all that.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2015

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

aww I was really thinking the thrill was gonna make it to me this round, shucks

mentholmoose can pick in about 20 minutes since paulocast will have been on the clock for 2 hours then

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm takin Nathan MacKinnon because he's sick and young and cheap

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

I'm takin Nathan MacKinnon because he's sick and young and cheap

I was hoping people would forget about him a little bit. I'm obsessed with players who are great skaters and he's arguably the best skating forward in the West (before Connor got here) despite being 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Very narrowly picked Eichel over Mackinnon

• Locked thread