Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lol welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also, Milo gave a half-hearted thank you on twitter to that Cernovich guy for calling him a not-cuckservative, despite him rear end-humping thai ladyboys. Holy poo poo I went down a rabbit hole learning what the gently caress the word is supposed to be about. This Cernovich is like the Stevia guy - even the backdrops for his youtube throwdowns look like they're taken in his mother's living room.

https://therightdrama.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/the-unbearable-faggotry-of-erick-erickson/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is the mainstream right (such as Erik, son of Erik) responding to "cuckservative" the first time the mainstream right has acknowledged the internet /pol/8chan/NRx/redpill community?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Possibly. It's funny as heck to see it on fox news clips.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

coyo7e posted:

Also, Milo gave a half-hearted thank you on twitter to that Cernovich guy for calling him a not-cuckservative, despite him rear end-humping thai ladyboys. Holy poo poo I went down a rabbit hole learning what the gently caress the word is supposed to be about. This Cernovich is like the Stevia guy - even the backdrops for his youtube throwdowns look like they're taken in his mother's living room.

https://therightdrama.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/the-unbearable-faggotry-of-erick-erickson/

You know the cliche about Republicans who are all about family values turn out to be very, very gay? Milo's like that, only he's willing to admit he's gay. I don't know what exactly that says about him, but I feel like it's something bad.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

So I’ll come right out and say it- TheRightDrama is officially endorsing Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidental Elections. While the previous stance on elections has been the NRx position of “voting is for fags”, the editorial board of TRD has looked at Trump’s statements and adequately determined that he is enough of a shitlord bigot douchemaster whose election would trigger enough faggy liberals and even more faggy cuckservatives.
DUDE GET OFF THE INTERNET
THIS ISN'T HOW NORMAL PEOPLE TALK

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Cingulate posted:

DUDE GET OFF THE INTERNET
THIS ISN'T HOW NORMAL PEOPLE TALK

This seems like as good an argument for setting up an American version of the Académie française and going full prescriptivist as any.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This seems like as good an argument for setting up an American version of the Académie française and going full prescriptivist as any.

That would be a neoreactionary Mecca.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wow, this guy doesn't even indulge in the pseudo-intellectual rhetoric of people like Moldbug--he doesn't even seem to understand that "rhetoric" is even a thing that exists or that other people will judge him by the way he presents himself. Forget the rationalizations or romantic appeals, let's just say "fag faggy fag buttsex cocksucker cucked by niggers and JOOOOOOOOS" every other sentence.

Although I suppose it's good that someone's exposing people like Moldbug for who they really are by restating neoreactionary talking points in a way that captures their inner ugliness with outer ugliness, but holy poo poo this is loving unreadable.

quote:

Now, this isn’t the first time a “conservative” has been put in the hot-seat by alt-right twitter. Notorious Brietbart Bottom-Boy Milo Yanniapolous (gently caress your greek name, I’ll spell it right when they fix their economy) was called out by Duck himself, along with the marginally less obviously homosexual Mike Cernovich. When called out for their rejection of ideas to the right of them, both simply politely stated that the ideas weren’t for them and didn’t bother with any moral signaling or soapboxing. That’s why, despite literally taking black dicks up his rear end, Milo is not a cuckservative. Likewise, despite putting his dick up Thai ladyboy rear end, Mike Cernovich is also not a cuckservative (and is even putting the cuckservatives on full blast right now!). Normally the less vitriolic “Conservakin” will do just fine here.

Also, oh the irony in using prostitution and "cuck" metaphors to lambast the Republican Party and then turning around and endorsing someone as hypocritical, as dishonest, as nakedly self-serving and lacking in any coherent ideology behind plain FYGM as Donald Trump. :laugh:

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
The best thing about the Dark Enlightenment is that they all took a cue from the French Revolution (or, more likely, Enders Game) and do everything under stupid pretentious screen names so they're easy to remove from my recommended YouTube videos and podcast lists since they live to tag themselves as real actually researched and studied historical or academic content.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

Also, oh the irony in using prostitution and "cuck" metaphors to lambast the Republican Party and then turning around and endorsing someone as hypocritical, as dishonest, as nakedly self-serving and lacking in any coherent ideology behind plain FYGM as Donald Trump. :laugh:
From what I understand, a part of the "cuck" thing is that it's an accusation of not being self-serving and egoistic enough. Like, their idea is: you guys are selling out your own people, and even your own well-being, to the jews/blacks/commies; you're giving other people a bit of the cake/of your wife; this is bad, rational people act completely egocentric. Because altruism is a sin (you want "citations"? Read fuckin' Atlas Shrugged! A=A!)

So if Trump gives you the impression that he'll be mostly there for himself, and maybe a bit for people like himself, that'd make him 1. not-cuck, 2. an enlightened, John Galt-like philosopher king.

Correct?

If yes, you just got to love it. Their idea is that opening the country to immigrants/refugees is literally done out of altruism by the politicians.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

Wow, this guy doesn't even indulge in the pseudo-intellectual rhetoric of people like Moldbug--he doesn't even seem to understand that "rhetoric" is even a thing that exists or that other people will judge him by the way he presents himself. Forget the rationalizations or romantic appeals, let's just say "fag faggy fag buttsex cocksucker cucked by niggers and JOOOOOOOOS" every other sentence.

Moldbuggery colliding with /pol/ remains sorta hilarious. A coprokinetic sculpture.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

TL;DR: Every teenager is a self-destructive rear end in a top hat, and now instead of mutilating themselves they're going on the Internet to hurt others of their racial group! (or something, I think my brain melted after the third paragraph.)

I've written some dumb poo poo in my time, but I don't think I've ever constructed such a giant, flaming edifice of stupid.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Stupidity that monumental does not come naturally, it requires years of study and diligent training.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

divabot posted:

Moldbuggery colliding with /pol/ remains sorta hilarious. A coprokinetic sculpture.

Between this and line about DE being for words what bitcoin is to electricity you're a regular posting gem.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

darkwasthenight posted:

Between this and line about DE being for words what bitcoin is to electricity you're a regular posting gem.

Oh go on, fondle my ego :jerkbag: HARDER FASTER

TwoQuestions posted:

TL;DR: Every teenager is a self-destructive rear end in a top hat, and now instead of mutilating themselves they're going on the Internet to hurt others of their racial group! (or something, I think my brain melted after the third paragraph.)
I've written some dumb poo poo in my time, but I don't think I've ever constructed such a giant, flaming edifice of stupid.

You have to remember that Milo is in a competition with himself to be the most utterly ghastly oval office possible. This is ehhh a moderate attempt.

In other news! Let's be fair to Scott: this story is really quite enjoyable and decently-written, particularly considering it originated in a chan image.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Being a woman in the NRx community is hard, largely because the Dark Enlightenment is made of nerds absolutely terrified of any woman showing any kind of backbone or negativity at all. One member, Rachel Haywire got more or less driven out because she was too similar to their idea of a feminist.

Let's see how one lady has managed in the community by adopting an interesting persona!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So I looked through Post-LessWrong Tumblr and saw this. lambdaphagy, replying to asocratesgonemad

quote:

“The people in this city looked hollow, like shitlibs. They’d broken their backs lifting Moloch up to heaven, and now they were down here in the gutter, fornicating dysgenically. The whole town stank of high time preference.”
– No Enemies to the Right (an Alexei Codeski novel)

quote:

She walked hypergamously into my office. Tall, blonde and Nordic subtype. On average, the best ones always are.

I looked up and took a hard pull from my flask. It was filled with contraband gin, held up in the FDA approval process for years by demotic regulators. It burned like the core of a chronically mis-managed city in my bold, truth-telling throat.

“I need a PI” she said, sizing me up for long-term investment potential.

“A predictive index for what?” I asked, passing her poo poo-test with ease. “Don’t you know that noticing is illegal nowadays? I don’t do that kind of stuff any more.” I tossed my dog-eared copy of The Bell Curve into the wastebasket with a sigh and set it on fire.

“No, silly, a private investigator. I have a case.” The hamster was spinning furiously.

“I know. I was just ironically voicing outrageous opinions to ward off the uninitiated.”

She smiled in-groupically. “I like a man who can countersignal competence.”

divabot has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Mar 2, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm dying

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

So I looked through Post-LessWrong Tumblr and nihilsupernum (who is nice) reblogged this. lambdaphagy, replying to asocratesgonemad

This almost makes me forgive him for that studied disingenousness about race.

Almost.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Funny thing that Scott Alexander had some good words to say about T-N Coates on Tumblr, I didn't closer, but I bet NRx isn't happy. He also called him a good writer, being probably one of the few people who would praise Coates's writing vs. his content.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

divabot posted:

So I looked through Post-LessWrong Tumblr and nihilsupernum (who is nice) reblogged this. lambdaphagy, replying to asocratesgonemad

what.
WHAT.
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAaAATTTTT!

I can't parse if that is serious or some confederacy of dunces style fan fanfiction.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure that's a parody.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Funny thing that Scott Alexander had some good words to say about T-N Coates on Tumblr, I didn't closer, but I bet NRx isn't happy. He also called him a good writer, being probably one of the few people who would praise Coates's writing vs. his content.

I'm just going to assume he's getting a lot of asks from concerned parties about how this random twitter statement that was clearly in jest means Ta-Nehisi Coates thinks all white people should be genocided or whatever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I picked up Ta-Nehisi's book because I always love hearing him speak, and I suspect he's probably at least that good a writer. And because I liked the play on words in the title and his premise of the "black body" being a two-way filter which changes both how to world sees and treats an individual, as well as how they see and treat the world. He's the only author who's ever given me any kind of base of undertstanding for why all the black dudes I know just act hard, or like they don't give a gently caress, at all times, in all situations. Been too busy to read it however, I suspect it will be a fun and gorgeous read, even if I don't agree with him on some or many points.. Kinda like Anne Rice - I'm just not a cat lady who lives in New Orleans, but at least I can pretend to be in her shoes for a little while.

DarklyDreaming posted:

You know the cliche about Republicans who are all about family values turn out to be very, very gay? Milo's like that, only he's willing to admit he's gay. I don't know what exactly that says about him, but I feel like it's something bad.
Well for one he uses his homosexuality to lend himself credibility on subjects which he would otherwise not be welcome in or a part of (or often even educated about by any stretch), such as #Gamergate, where he's written a bunch of pro-GG stuff and casts himself as "one of the many women and LGBT gamergaters," despite having admitted to multiple people, that he doesn't lpay video games, or actually know anything about the game industry. I'm still not sure how he managed to be the "fair and balanced" voice of rebuttal when #GG hit the mainstream, but good lord did I see him in a lot of interviews alongside women who'd received death threats, crowing about how anti-GGers had sent him threats as well (yet never once producing any examples or proof)..

It'd kinda be like a racist southern white guy finding out he has a black relative 4 generations back, and then using it to lend credibility to how the confederate battle flag stands for his proud history as a poor whiteblack person who went to fight for the rich landowning class of the south who didn't like paying taxes. Sure Milo is gay, but he still seems to hate women, liberals, social safety nets, and the scientific method whenever it doesn't align with his own pre-decided premises.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is the mainstream right (such as Erik, son of Erik) responding to "cuckservative" the first time the mainstream right has acknowledged the internet /pol/8chan/NRx/redpill community?
I'm actually beginning to wrap my head around the word, and holy poo poo is it fun to throw back at someone who accuses you of white guilt or of being an SJW. "I may be guilty about being white, but you're guilty about allowing your country to be invaded (through the back door) by brown people, and you get off on it!" It made one conserva/libert-troll who I commonly have trouble riling up, lose his poo poo at me entirely.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jul 28, 2015

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Not exactly DE, but Yudkowsky et al. have another thing gaining public attention. http://futureoflife.org/AI/open_letter_autonomous_weapons .

I have a feeling most of the actual AI people who signed on are more concerned about the arms race, regardless of the AI aspect of it. The rest is the usual suspects hyping their little incestuous clique of organizations and foundations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Woolie Wool posted:

Pretty sure that's a parody.

"Yeah, there's no way thats supposed to be taken seriously" I smile in-groupically

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm just going to assume he's getting a lot of asks from concerned parties about how this random twitter statement that was clearly in jest means Ta-Nehisi Coates thinks all white people should be genocided or whatever.

Maybe he considers Coates a serious thinker because he advocates genocide. Not that he personally is in favour of genocide, you understand.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
san francisco: it has a great gay neoreactionary dating scene

(that's all)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peter Thiel-Senpai is gay too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Merdifex posted:

Coates is my hero because he cultivates his comments section. Engaging some of the off the wall arguments that people try to wield against his ideas in good faith is honestly pretty brave of him.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

divabot posted:

He probably read this in September 2008 and still had it as a "cached thought". You really have to read it, it helped prime the LW-sphere to love NRx (and has a pile of NRx in the comments).
Just caught up on the thread; I'd like to point out this gem from that piece (italics his):

quote:

I was expecting to be the youngest person there, but it turned out that my age wasn't unusual—there were several accomplished individuals who were younger. This was the point at which I realized that my child prodigy license had officially completely expired.

Now, admittedly, this was a closed conference run by people clueful enough to think "Let's invite Eliezer Yudkowsky" even though I'm not a CEO. So this was an incredibly cherry-picked sample. Even so...

Even so, these people of the Power Elite were visibly much smarter than average mortals.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Just caught up on the thread; I'd like to point out this gem from that piece (italics his):

What is with these people and their self-proclaimed "child prodigy" status? Every time they bring it up it reminds me of

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What is with these people and their self-proclaimed "child prodigy" status?

It's the last time someone told them how special they were, it's easy enough to see.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also it's the triumph of inherent traits over practiced mastery and resilience--and childhood is pretty much the only time when that's true. I bet most of these people go to MENSA meetings, too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Night10194 posted:

It's the last time someone told them how special they were, it's easy enough to see.

I used to be a child prodigy - my mum sent me a newspaper clipping from back then, I was in local papers and on TV a coupla times - and I can proudly attest to the truth of "child genius, adult moron". It turns out smarts grow on trees and people care entirely about what you do, not what you could totally do if you did anything.

So I should have founded an Internet-based cult. At least Yudkowsky has successfully cracked the "get donations" ability. I can't even gather up the moral turpitude to sell snake oil to audiophiles or Bitcoiners.

divabot has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jul 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So way back in the OP someone posted the Dark Enlightenment trading cards.

And I just want to comment that Mencius Moldbug, depending on you interpret that last bit, either believes that Thomas Carlyle's books are currently banned in America and the EU(which is empirically false because a quick Amazon search will show you there are easily available copies of his books from Penguin or Oxford) OR that he will soon be banned, because the authorities consider a boring dead Scottish conservative who's mainly read by people interested in historical views on certain events and influential figures in the 19th century to be too renegade and hardcore.

And that's just kind of amazing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So way back in the OP someone posted the Dark Enlightenment trading cards.

And I just want to comment that Mencius Moldbug, depending on you interpret that last bit, either believes that Thomas Carlyle's books are currently banned in America and the EU(which is empirically false because a quick Amazon search will show you there are easily available copies of his books from Penguin or Oxford) OR that he will soon be banned, because the authorities consider a boring dead Scottish conservative who's mainly read by people interested in historical views on certain events and influential figures in the 19th century to be too renegade and hardcore.

And that's just kind of amazing.

Well, how else would explain Moldbug not being recognized as the Great Man of our time? :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's like imagining a future society where the works of Thomas Friedman are banned as dangerous thoughtcrime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What is with these people and their self-proclaimed "child prodigy" status? Every time they bring it up it reminds me of
It's one of those little things that show your privilege. When I first went to college to study software engineering, it was a big shock to me to suddenly no longer be the smartest kid in the room, and it took smoe gettnig used to the idea that I was really just average like almost everybody. Most of my classmates never seemed to figure that out, though.