Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jay O posted:

Anyway, that's all the anime crit-dumping for now! Next dump in three months, as the worm turns. :v:

WHO WROTE THIS PUN

PROMOTE THEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Oh hey, when are you going to do another "Sarkeesian Effect guys" video?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Writer Cath posted:

Not only that, Sandler tends to play a wildly successful guy either with a gorgeous wife and irritatingly percocious kids, or some guy who's a super sex machine swinging hip cat.

Yea this is what kills it for me. Even in his poo poo movies Black is always just kinda playing Jack Black, just kinda a normal, not that bright, dude who's trying his best despite his flaws, so I can sit through Shallow Hal and all because yea ok at least Black has some basic humility and respect for his audience and enough of the jokes are 'no get it I'm a fuckin idiot too' to not feel mean.

Sandler is always just playing Super Perfect Adam Sandler, he's rich and everyone loves him and he has a hot wife and perfect adorable kids and blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. He barely gets razzed in his stuff anymore, there's no real 'ok get it, I'm rich and famous but I'm being humbled by funny events' factor to his stuff that at least used to happen before, it's just 'hey you wanna watch objectively correct and awesome Adam Sandler smugly take down the filthy idiots he must surround himself with' and the answer is always 'nah' by now. poo poo like Happy Madison worked because even if he was the good guy and got the girl and all that, since it was a comedy movie he had stuff like Bob Barker kicking his rear end and all to avoid it being a blowjob fest.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

WHO WROTE THIS PUN

PROMOTE THEM

Ha ha ha, that was courtesy of my fiancee, Zac, who likes making nonsensical pun pull-quotes. Our friends at Discotek enjoy them too much. (Also he can't be promoted any more because he's already head of editorial as it is.)

You delivered the punchline before the set-up though!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DStecks posted:

Pixels is not obviously a Happy Madison movie, so maybe people are upset because they thought it might just be a movie he was acting in?

It actually is.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0059609/

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure that by "not obviously" they meant "at first glance, it doesn't look like a typical Happy Madison shitfest."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alacron posted:

I'm pretty sure that by "not obviously" they meant "at first glance, it doesn't look like a typical Happy Madison shitfest."

Correct. Pixels looks like it has a budget.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Yeah, that was always my impression of it. "Oh, so this is what a big budget Happy Madison movie would look like... still a piece of poo poo."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was somehow under the impression that "Pixels" was directed by PES, who did Fresh Guacamole among other things, but saw that it was done by none other than Chris Columbus, who made the first "Harry Potter" movie, one of the most visually uninteresting fantasy films ever made. So visually he's the perfect guy to helm an effects-driven Adam Sandler movie, since he'll shoot even things that sound exciting on paper in the most lifeless way possible.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

You guys might wanna brace yourselves then, Half in the Bag's next episode will cover Pixles.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BigRed0427 posted:

You guys might wanna brace yourselves then, Half in the Bag's next episode will cover Pixles.

Honestly, i hope they do something else than talk about the movie. Whatever the movie is actually about is pretty much irrelevant, since they all follow the same pattern and they already took that apart excellently in their Jack and Jill episode.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jay O posted:

Ha ha ha, that was courtesy of my fiancee, Zac, who likes making nonsensical pun pull-quotes. Our friends at Discotek enjoy them too much. (Also he can't be promoted any more because he's already head of editorial as it is.)

You delivered the punchline before the set-up though!

Nice! Someone else linked it to me on skype out of context, I had no idea!

Orguss sounds really good too, based purely on word of mouth for both Macross and LoG, which I also never saw. I should probably watch Anime instead of korean game shows.

On that note, holy poo poo you people should watch The Genius. They straight up use Cowboy Bebop's OP in there.

TheMaestroso posted:

Oh hey, when are you going to do another "Sarkeesian Effect guys" video?
When my mic gets here and my schedule suddenly opens up! I'm currently working a full time job, weird freelance stuff, and directing what will hopefully be a film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Orguss is good, if uneven, but there's some really ugly undertones I missed the first time I watched that might ruin it for some.

Changing the subject, Angry Joe has reviewed the Godzilla PS3/PS4 game. He does the victory dance in costume! :allears:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DStecks posted:

Amazingly enough...

Pixels budget: 88 million
Jack and Jill budget: 79 million

I guess it furthers Jack and Jill's "movie as embezzlement scheme" theory and maybe this time Columbia Pictures actually demanded a movie that looked like what it cost.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

stillvisions posted:

Amazingly enough...

Pixels budget: 88 million
Jack and Jill budget: 79 million

I guess it furthers Jack and Jill's "movie as embezzlement scheme" theory and maybe this time Columbia Pictures actually demanded a movie that looked like what it cost.

maybe making fat suits is expensive? or sandler really wanted that suite in the cruse ship parts of the film was taking place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

maybe making fat suits is expensive? or sandler really wanted that suite in the cruse ship parts of the film was taking place.

I think Sony's tepidly putting their foot down and starting to reign him in. One of the more prominent emails to come out of the 2014 Sony hack was Sony Pictures' former president herself straight up asking how the hell Sandler gets away with getting so much money from their studio and turns in such cheap looking, objectively terrible films, lending legitimate credence to Red Letter Media's pet theory.

That said, take comfort, friends, as Pixels is officially Adam Sandler's lowest grossing box office opening ever, so maybe people really are finally waking up and getting the message. :shobon:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Adam Sandler is the living sequel to Funny People.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Sony's tepidly putting their foot down and starting to reign him in. One of the more prominent emails to come out of the 2014 Sony hack was Sony Pictures' former president herself straight up asking how the hell Sandler gets away with getting so much money from their studio and turns in such cheap looking, objectively terrible films, lending legitimate credence to Red Letter Media's pet theory.

I was wondering if this was less "putting their foot down" and more "poison pill" after he had decided to pack his bags for Netflix.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I still get a laugh out of Happy Gilmore. The random outburst humor is actually built into the character and it disappears as the character goes through his arc. It also has jokes that are set up in advanced. You know, things that are absent from Sandler films these days.

Also, I wouldn't say Sandler is bad in Gilmore, but the supporting cast really made that movie. I'm not aware of any other Sandler movie having anything as funny as Evil Bob Barker.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Movie Nights: The Adventures of Pluto Nash is out. Seeing how listless it is, I can see why it only made $7.1 million worldwide on a $100 million+ budget. I'm kind of surprised you didn''t mention that the movie was made by Ron Underwood, who also did "Tremors", and some educational films Rifftrax has taken on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BigRed0427 posted:

Here it is:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-pixels/

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The end of this is the best thing ever.

I just wish since I live in Milwaukee that I'd run into these fuckers one day when I see a movie :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tracula posted:

The end of this is the best thing ever.

I just wish since I live in Milwaukee that I'd run into these fuckers one day when I see a movie :(

I'm sure somebody has tracked down here their studio is

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Who wants some dating education, courtesy of Chris-Chan?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

boom boom boom posted:

I'm sure somebody has tracked down here their studio is

Yeah yeah piss off. I'm not asking to be creepy stalker rear end in a top hat. I just think it'd be a fun thing to happen.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Robert Denby posted:

Movie Nights: The Adventures of Pluto Nash is out. Seeing how listless it is, I can see why it only made $7.1 million worldwide on a $100 million+ budget. I'm kind of surprised you didn''t mention that the movie was made by Ron Underwood, who also did "Tremors", and some educational films Rifftrax has taken on.

I actually didn't know, or I probably would've commented. Thanks for the insight! I'm sure he just didn't have much to work with given the script, but who knows how much of it was rewritten as they went along.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Radio Dead Air's showing off a bit of the AT4W movie now/soonish alongside Linkara himself. It's going to be the preview shown at ConBravo, apparently.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tracula posted:

Yeah yeah piss off. I'm not asking to be creepy stalker rear end in a top hat. I just think it'd be a fun thing to happen.

I'm just saying. You bring them a copy of Nukie.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They don't like this to be widely known, but they do actually have a bounty on VHS copies of Nukie. If you bring them one, you get a kiss from Jay.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

They don't like this to be widely known, but they do actually have a bounty on VHS copies of Nukie. If you bring them one, you get a kiss from Jay.

*opens an ebay tab* christmas is coming early boys

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

I loved that episode :) the movie just sounds so weirdly bad. I mean usually crap movies introduce conflict and then leave it unresolved because they forget about it (like how in Ben and Arthur, the lawyer being murdered is never mentioned again - or the breast cancer in The Room), but in Pluto Nash it's like they introduced alleged conflict and then immediately resolved it?

That class sounds like a much more weirdly sexual and advanced form of my kindergarten teacher's insistence that we walk in boy-girl pairings holding hands when we went to the library or to church or whatever else. God I hated doing that. But it's a thousand times worse when it's some kind of college/high school/something class about assigned girlfriends.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Remember when I reviewed Still Flowin, the movie by Melbourne’s strangest rapper, RAED? Well, I got a message on Vimeo today.

quote:

Hi Cheapskate love your review of Still Flowin. I was the cinematographer on that and yeah RAED is a strange one. It was a paid gig and all I did was follow his directions or lack of it and swallow a most bitter pill but had my hand out for the daily pay I got. I only made sure to have everything exposed properly and focused. I insisted to edit. But RAED did it himself. No need to convince you what a botched up job he did. Out of all the jobs i have done. This one haunts me the most. I also shot exactly 5 music videos for the guy. Again just did the best camerawork I could while I tried to block out RAED's screaching.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know anything about RAED, but while it's egotistical to insist on doing stuff best left to professionals, it's also a dick move to do so much work with a guy you hate and trash him afterwards. I get a paycheck is a paycheck, but that's lovely, man.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Infamous Sphere posted:

That class sounds like a much more weirdly sexual and advanced form of my kindergarten teacher's insistence that we walk in boy-girl pairings holding hands when we went to the library or to church or whatever else. God I hated doing that. But it's a thousand times worse when it's some kind of college/high school/something class about assigned girlfriends.

:wtc:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Yeah, I remember finding it irritating at the time, but it's pretty much a textbook example of acting like children should be heterosexual long before they actually have any sexual attraction to anything (you know, like when parents act like a mixed-gender friendship between two small children is a "girlfriend/boyfriend" thing). Which is kind of funny, because if you go by the stereotypes, little boys who like to play mostly with girls, and little girls who like to play mostly with boys...usually end up being LGBT.
Well either that or it was just trying to force children to get along despite gender differences, at an age where children are most likely to have homosocial friendships and frequently express distaste in playing with/hanging around with children of the opposite sex.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Radio Dead Air's showing off a bit of the AT4W movie now/soonish alongside Linkara himself. It's going to be the preview shown at ConBravo, apparently.

So the AT4W movie is going to be a crossover, akin to Kickassia?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Robert Denby posted:

It's kind of impressive that my imagination of what this movie was like over the many years I've known of its existence was way better than the actual thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pluto Nash is one of those movies that I remember being really heavily advertised on TV all the time, then it sort of came and went without comment. Same with Looney Tunes: Back In Action of all things, actually.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

I don't know anything about RAED, but while it's egotistical to insist on doing stuff best left to professionals, it's also a dick move to do so much work with a guy you hate and trash him afterwards. I get a paycheck is a paycheck, but that's lovely, man.

Yes quite right, how dare they have an opinion about their own profession and body of work. Don't they know that taking money for services is akin to swearing an oath of secrecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

toanoradian posted:

So the AT4W movie is going to be a crossover, akin to Kickassia?

Based on the preview, it looks like it takes place in continuity of the Anniversary movies.

Caught the preview at ConBravo. It certainly looks good enough, cinematography and editing wise. I'm not 100% up on my Linkara in jokes and characters, but based on the audience reactions (and just logical deduction), it's satisfying to the target audience.

I think anyone who kicked in to fund it will get exactly what they were expecting, and will be satisfied, plus it may have some wider audience appeal.

• Locked thread