Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The main thing I recall about SOA is that they handled a rape with remarkable maturity and sensitivity, considering the rest of what the show is like.

Guess you didn't watch the last season which had multiple rapes including dude on dude hot action which was not handled well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Peccadillo posted:

It's really pretty jarring. Generally slow small town thrillers don't cap it off with a brief action movie, then suddenly a knife fight at the haunted prom, but seamlessness ain't the point.

But the film introduces his deal within like 15 minutes when he beats up the bullies.

e: hahahahah Kurt Sutter is literally a cuck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

coyo7e posted:

Dude I wouldn't piss off Henry Rollins, either. He was pretty much the best part of the 4 or 5 seasons I suffered through of that show. Also, that weird guy who played the priest in Deadwood, but he was a bit character and only lasted 1 season.

I love the priest from Deadwood, so much so that I really enjoy his show on Sundance, Rectify.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I love the priest from Deadwood, so much so that I really enjoy his show on Sundance, Rectify.

Rectify is a great show. The first season was spectacular. I didn't watch the second because I didn't want to allow them to tarnish the first season.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hercules, starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson, is up. It isn't what I thought it would be, and I absolutely loving love it. It is intentionally anachronistic, if you're troubled by "unrealistic" stuff, go gently caress yourself.

The closest spiritual companions I can think of for this film is A Knight's Tale and The Princess Bride. Enjoy.

P.S. it has Rufus Sewell, and he owns.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 28, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chichevache posted:

Hercules, starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson, is up. It isn't what I thought it would be, and I absolutely loving love it. It is intentionally anachronistic, if you're troubled by "unrealistic" stuff, go gently caress yourself.

The closest spiritual companion I can think of for this film is The Princess Bride. Enjoy.

Wait that movie is actually good? I remember there was another lovely movie with Hercules in it, and I kind of wrote that one off as "probably the same thing, but with a better lead actor"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait that movie is actually good? I remember there was another lovely movie with Hercules in it, and I kind of wrote that one off as "probably the same thing, but with a better lead actor"

The one that came out first was some absolute tripe called The Legend of Hercules. You know how movie studios do when they try to undercut each other's projects. The one with the Rock is actually really fun. Great acting, fun story, good dialogue, wonderful effects, and a fantastic sense of humor. It's a bit gory for PG13, but I would definitely watch it with kids.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Chichevache posted:

The closest spiritual companion I can think of for this film is The Princess Bride. Enjoy.

I watched Hercules a month or so ago, and found it horrifically boring. I love The Rock, but I really could not get into it. I didn't think it was particularly charming or funny like TPB, but I can get that comparison. My brother loved it, so must be me.

For something I did enjoy, I watched Eugene Mirman's Vegan On His Way to the Complain Store and it was completely amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The one that came out first was some absolute tripe called The Legend of Hercules. You know how movie studios do when they try to undercut each other's projects. The one with the Rock is actually really fun. Great acting, fun story, good dialogue, wonderful effects, and a fantastic sense of humor. It's a bit gory for PG13, but I would definitely watch it with kids.

Totally agreed, I just watched Hercules yesterday. If you like some of the Rock's more underrated stuff like Scorpion King and The Rundown then you're guaranteed to like Hercules. I thought it was actually shot incredibly well for a movie I wasn't expecting to be very good. And if you're on the fence, it has Ian Mcshane in a really fun role too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Accident Underwater posted:

I watched Hercules a month or so ago, and found it horrifically boring. I love The Rock, but I really could not get into it. I didn't think it was particularly charming or funny like TPB, but I can get that comparison. My brother loved it, so must be me.

For something I did enjoy, I watched Eugene Mirman's Vegan On His Way to the Complain Store and it was completely amazing.

I can see why you wouldn't like it. It definitely isn't on the same level as TPB, and I don't want to overhype it. It is some good fun though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I can see why you wouldn't like it. It definitely isn't on the same level as TPB, and I don't want to overhype it. It is some good fun though.

Yea I think to compare it to The Princess Bride, which for me is one of the top 5 fantasy films ever, is going a little too far. But you could do a whole lot worse on a Sunday afternoon.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Accident Underwater posted:

Yeah, I was really let down because it's another one of those "grounded" "realistic" takes on mythology. I wanted The Rock wrecking supernatural poo poo as a demigod, not as an ambiguously strong human mercenary doing boring human poo poo that kinda sorta matches the myth of the 12 labors only with all the supernatural stuff taken out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think to compare it to The Princess Bride, which for me is one of the top 5 fantasy films ever, is going a little too far. But you could do a whole lot worse on a Sunday afternoon.

I just meant it was similar in tone and attitude, not in quality. I expected a typical sword and sandals action film.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basebf555 posted:

And if you're on the fence, it has Ian Mcshane in a really fun role too.

Sold.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

My Mom took over my Apple TV during a visit a few months ago and made me watch Rectify.......was impressed. Like Terrance Malick type poo poo in a tv show. I didn't really pay attention to who the creator was till after I watched S1 even though I wondered why Dan Dority AND Johnny were both on this show.

SOA after S2 really just turned out awful. :barf: I can't wait for Sutter's newest GOT ripoff to poo poo itself next.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sutter doing GOT should be hilarious.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

He's going to write himself in as the equivalent of Dinklage's character, calling it now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magnus Gallant posted:

Rectify is a great show. The first season was spectacular. I didn't watch the second because I didn't want to allow them to tarnish the first season.

The third season so far is easily as good as the first, and the second only stumbles a few times. It's The Best Show.

As for Sons of Anarchy only the first two seasons are kind of "good". Later seasons have like, fun guest stars and so forth, but are not worth putting yourself through for those brief highlights.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

I love that the name rolls off the tongue so well, too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
NOT ON STREAMING BUT...........

http://bastardexecutioner.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUoDZI9CpY

Peg Bundy as Cat Stark! :classiclol:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hey, and Vampire Bill from True Blood!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
August Netflix. Stuff that caught my eye in bold.

August 1
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Asylum (2005)
Back in Time/Cong Cong Na Nian (2014)
Beneath the Helmet (2014)
Breakup Buddies/Xin Hau Lu Fang (2014)
Bride and Prejudice (2004)
Casting By (2012)
The Code: Season 1 (2014 series)
Dancing on the Edge: Season 1 (2013 Series)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood: Season 2 (2012 series)
Dear Frankie (2004)
Dogs on the Inside (2014)
Electric Slide (2014)
Enemy at the Gates (2001)
Flex is Kings (2013)
The Golden Era/Huang Jin Shi Dai (2014)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Living (2014)
Lost and Love/Shi Gu (2015)
Masha and the Bear: Season 1 (2009 Series)
The Mind of a Chef: Season 3 (2012 series)
November Rule (2015)
Odd Squad: Season 1 (2014 series)
Outcast (2014)
Pants on Fire (2014)
Reading Rainbow: Volume 1 (1983 series)
Russell Brand: End the Drugs War (2014)
Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery (2012)
Somewhere Only We Know/You yi ge di fang zhi you wo men zhi dao (2015)
Sorority Row (2009)
Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (2008)
Utopia: Season 1 (2013 series)
Vexed: Seasons 1­ & 2 (2010 series)
War (2007)
Wing Commander (1999)

August 3
Chronic­Con, Episode 420: A New Dope (2015)

August 4
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015)

August 5
Yellowbird (2014)

August 6
Kill Me Three Times (2014)
My Amityville Horror (2012)
The Look of Love (2013)
Welcome to Me (2014)

August 7
Club de Cuervos: Season 1 (2015 series)
HitRECord on TV: Season 1 (2014 series)
Motivation 2: The Chris Cole Story (2015)
Project Mc2 (2015)
Transporter: The Series: Season 2 (2012 series)

August 8
Doctor Who: Season 8 (2005 series)

August 11
Fred: The Movie (2010)
Fred 2: Night of the Living Fred (2011)
Fred 3: Camp Fred (2012)
Two Days, One Night (2014)

August 12
For a Good Time, Call... (2012)
Leap Year (2010)
The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2014)

August 14
DinoTrux
Demetri Martin: Live (At The Time) (2015)
Ever After High Way too Wonderland (Season 3)
Ship of Theseus (2012)

August 15
Alex of Venice (2014)

August 16
Being Flynn (2012)
Pariah (2011)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)

August 17
Lord of War (2005)

August 19
Jerk Theory (2009)
Real Husbands of Hollywood: Season 3 (2013 series)

August 20
30 for 30: Angry Sky (2015)
As Cool As I Am (2013)
Strange Empire: Season 1 (2014 series)

August 21
Grantham & Rose (2014)
Transcend (2014)

August 23
Girl Meets World: Season 1 (2014 series)

August 27
Byzantium (2012)
White God (2014)

August 28
Inspector Gadget: Season 2 (2015 series)
Narcos: Season 1
Once Upon a Time: Season 4 (2011 series)
Revenge: Season 4 (2011 series)

August 29
Ride (2015)

August 30
Muffin Top: A Love Story (2014)

Leaving Netflix in August 2015

August 1
Bad Girl Island (2007)
Barbershop (2002)
Beauty Shop (2005)
Bulletproof (1996)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Digimon Adventure: Seasons 1-­3 (1999 series)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
Face/Off (1997)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Fools Rush In (1997)
Gangsters: Faces of the Underworld: Season 1 (2012 series)
Hawking (2013)
Hot Pursuit (1987)
Houseboat (1958)
Inside Fendi
Joe Dirt (2001)
Kiss the Girls (1997)
The Longest Day (1962)
The Pitch: Season 1 (2012 series)
Pumping Iron (1977)
Shooter (2007)
Titanic (1997)
Unbreakable (2000)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)
We're No Angels (1989)

August 6
Raven, The (2012)

August 8
Albert Nobbs (2011)
Explorers: Adventures of the Century: Season 1 & 2 (2013 series)

August 15
Family Ties: Seasons 1-­7 (1982 series)
The Forsyte Saga: Series 1­ & 2 (2002 series)
Immortalized: Season 1 (2013 series)

August 23
Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

August 24
My Fair Wedding: Season 5 (2008 series)

August 25
Petunia (2012)

August 27
LEGO Atlantis (2010)
LEGO: Hero Factory: Breakout (2012)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: King of Shadows (2011)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: Way of the Ninja (2011)
The Moth Diaries (2011)

August 31
Spider-­Man and His Amazing Friends: Seasons 1-­3 (1981 series)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Definitely check out Two Days, One Night.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kind of a lovely month, but then, everything is lovely in August. It's back to school, it's hot as balls, etc.

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein? :dogbutton:

e: they made three Fred movies? I still genuinely don't know who Fred is other than "youtube guy"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like a weak month overall but I'm pretty excited to watch White God at least.

Edit: Oh poo poo Jiro Dreams of Sushi is leaving Netflix, guess I better watch it for the tenth time before it goes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Nice, I meant to see White God and Welcome To Me when they were in theaters, but then time made a fool of me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
White God might be the silliest movie I've ever seen that I would not recommend. I wanted to like it it because there's not anything like it but man it's just sort of all over the place.

I did get to pet the star of the movie though. :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015)

Mad Max + Zombies + Psychic Shenanigans :iia:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

White God might be the silliest movie I've ever seen that I would not recommend. I wanted to like it it because there's not anything like it but man it's just sort of all over the place.

I did get to pet the star of the movie though. :3:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually

The movie does sexualize the gently caress out of that girl though for some reason.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

The Hurt Locker (2008)
Lord of War (2005)

Whoop whoop

morestuff posted:

Leaving Netflix in August 2015
Face/Off (1997)
Pumping Iron (1977)
Titanic (1997)

Booooo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I'd strongly encourage people to watch Pumping Iron if they haven't

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I blind watched Welcome to Me when they got it on DVD and it's pretty drat awesome. Glad I'll finally be able to peep White God.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I think First Day of Campis going to be ok.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Pumping Iron is way better than I expected. Arnold is such a charming dick, and he's eating up the attention the film crew is giving him. Also, you see Franco Columbu use his breath to inflate a hot water bottle until it pops.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general I feel like White God is a movie some people around here are really going to like just because of how weird it is, so I don't want to come off too strong in talking about how bad it was but I really do wish that had been a much better movie. If any one cares, I wrote way more about it earlier in the year. (warning: contains alot of spoilers)

axleblaze posted:

Oh boy...

The biggest failing I’m going to have in this whole write-up is that I’m not going to be able to convince you that White God is a bad movie that you don't actually want to see. Like, right now I know almost everything I write down will sound awesome and there's nothing I can really do about that. If I hadn’t seen this movie and was told the things I was about to write about this movie, I would want to see this movie. Everything about this movie is insane and I like insane movies. It's just none of the insanity really works. It's just all sort of bad. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen but sometimes there's a reason certain things haven't been done.

This is a very, very, very, very, very, very silly movie. Maybe one of the silliest movies I’ve ever seen in my entire life. That probably should be worth something but it isn't. I’m going to reveal a lot of this movie because it’s hard for me to really express my disdain without going deep into it but still if you don’t want to be spoiled just move on but just trust me in saying that this movie is really not very good.

The main problem with this movie is tone. It’s too serious for the silly stuff to ever really work and it’s too silly to take the serious stuff very seriously. This movie is a whole bunch of movies that don’t belong together clumsily mashed into each other without rhyme or reason. While there are sections of the movie that do maintain a single tone, the movie constantly switches these tones back and forth making it impossible to really accept any given section of the movie. There was a point where I thought I finally understood what this movie was going for (which I’ll get into later) but then the movie changed again and again and yet again making my ability to parse this as an acceptable movie an impossibility.

The first part of the movie is pretty much a Disney movie. There’s a girl who has a dog and she loves this dog. She’s enjoying a life with the dog until her mother needs to go somewhere and leaves her with her father who is a one-dimensional, bad father, rear end in a top hat that does not like dogs. His neighbor even more cartoonishly does not like dogs. Her music teacher also does not like dogs and makes her choose between class and her dog. Eventually the father forces her to get rid of the dog, abandoning it in the streets. The dog then goes on some merry adventures where he meets other dogs, goes to a meat market and is chased by a cartoonish butcher and is later chased by cartoonish dog catchers. All the while the girl is single-mindedly searching for the dog. This is all fitting of a bad children’s movie and while it’s shown in a slightly more gritty fashion overall, that’s pretty much how this plays on every level.

After that the dog is taken in by a homeless man who promptly sells him for dog fighting purposes. The movie then becomes a brutal depiction of someone basically torturing a dog for the purpose of making him a vicious fighter. This obviously does not mesh well with all that came before it but it hadn’t fully lost me yet because this was actually the best done section of the movie. Meanwhile the girl is just getting sorta of depressed over not being able to find her dog. She’s giving up hope and there’s also this boy she likes I guess. She goes to a rave with him, he gives her drugs to hold, she passes out and is woken up being busted by the cops. This part has its own indie coming of age tone that really doesn’t mesh well with anything that comes before or after. The only thing is really seems to do for the plot is make the girl give up on the dog and magically make her father stop acting like a heartless rear end in a top hat for no real reason.

Eventually the dog escapes after his first real fight and it briefly goes back to being a Disney adventure of dog and friends. That is short lived though as he gets captured by the dogcatchers and brought to the pound. There he doesn’t do well; snapping at people that get close. It’s not long before it’s decided he will be put down. At this point I thought I knew what the movie was going for. I thought it was some sort of deconstruction of the Disney narrative where instead of things going well the dog goes through the brutality of the real world and the girl just moves on. I could sort of get behind that. Then the last act happened.

The dog escapes and frees all the other dogs. The dogs go on a rampage through the city forcing people into their homes. The main dog acts as a leader directing all of the dogs against the police and in getting revenge against all that have wronged him. It’s a mix of the last scene in a mafia movie and a horror film where the monsters are dogs. Meanwhile the girl magically knows that her dog is at the center of this and goes into a city full of rampaging dogs to try and put an end to this or just find her dog. It is extremely silly.

I’ve already spent too much time talking about this and will have spent far more time on this than movies I actually liked so I’ll try to wrap things up but, as I said, this just is not a good movie. Every time I was willing to except it, it just got worse. There’s also a bunch of little things that make it hard to get lost in the silliness. There’s this repetition of Hungarian Rhapsody that just brings somberness and some sort of national message to it all. It kind of works because that song too gets very silly but that’s a metaphor I can't push very far. There are also off little moments like there are two shots of the very young daughter changing. They aren’t graphic or anything but their inclusion is still just weird to me.

Just overall it wasn’t a very impressive movie despite the nightmare it must have been to make. The direction isn’t great and a lot of the bad tone just comes from badly done scenes. The opening of the movie is a shot of the girl being chased through the empty city by a huge pack of dogs and while this should have been an impressive and cool opening, it just failed to live up to that concept. I am also told that the camera is very shakey for no real reason (years of Found Footage movies have made me pretty much immune to shakey cam so that sort of thing is hard for me to notice).

Despite all this I don’t regret seeing it. You don’t see a movie this bat poo poo dumb in such a unique that often. Watching this was an interesting experience and it was sometimes anenjoyable one but not in the way that I believe was intended.As I said, I’ve already written too much and, alas, I probably still haven’t convinced you this is a bad movie. You’ll just have to take my word for it, which is something I wouldn’t do if I were in your shoes.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2015

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

axleblaze posted:

In general I feel like White God is a movie some people around here are really going to like just because of how weird it is, so I don't want to come off too strong in talking about how bad it was but I really do wish that had been a much better movie.

Question, if Catechism Cataclysm is in my top 20 movies of the last five years, will I enjoy White God and be befuddled by people naysaying it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Question, if Catechism Cataclysm is in my top 20 movies of the last five years, will I enjoy White God and be befuddled by people naysaying it?

It's hard for me to say because they are very different movies but I liked the Catechism Cataclysm and found it really interesting despite it's flaws while I feel the flaws overwhelm White God and obscure anything interesting the movie might have been saying. It doesn't help that I don't think White God is saying anything all that interesting (the Q+A did not help this) while I think The Catechism Cataclysm message of "Faith is hard and God will gently caress you up" was pretty good.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

morestuff posted:

It's one of my favorite documentaries ever if just for the scene where Arnold is talking about constantly cumming. I wonder if he was constantly cumming in the Governor's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

the great deceiver posted:

It's one of my favorite documentaries ever if just for the scene where Arnold is talking about constantly cumming. I wonder if he was constantly cumming in the Governor's office.

<------------