Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I so want that 30k sprue to be real, because then I could harass my locals into a Heralds of Ruin campaign where I got to play Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons Alpha Legion Luna Wolves Sons of Horus World Eaters Night Lords.

Goddamnit I can't even decide already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

Yes but then you go back to the email I got and it just raises more questions.

If it gets filtered up to the actual rules guys and it gets fixed, great. But I doubt that will happen.

Why do you doubt that will happen? FW changes rules all the time based on input. Especially from their self titled "experimental rules" for this unit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I am still sitting on a big heavy box of old SM and Eldar stuff. It's all listed here if you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725999 I can't figure out how to repost it without retyping the whole thing and finding the picture links again, also I'm lazy.

I am officially at 'make me an offer' now, since the guy who owns this stuff just wants it gone. Need stuff? Please PM!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TKIY posted:

I am still sitting on a big heavy box of old SM and Eldar stuff. It's all listed here if you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725999 I can't figure out how to repost it without retyping the whole thing and finding the picture links again, also I'm lazy.

I am officially at 'make me an offer' now, since the guy who owns this stuff just wants it gone. Need stuff? Please PM!

I've never seen those ancient terminators you have. In fact I'm not even sure one of them is a legit model. Looks like a really poorly done recast.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I've never seen those ancient terminators you have. In fact I'm not even sure one of them is a legit model. Looks like a really poorly done recast.

My FLGS owner lobbed them off on me, they are all either from his own collection or stuff he took in on trade so I can't honestly speak to the origins of them.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, the '4 x Really drat Old Terminators' aren't anything I've ever seen before- and I had the Terminator box set new when it came out; Terminators never had heads like that, all the others are legit, but the 'Sargent' is in fact a Captain.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Renfield posted:

Yeah, the '4 x Really drat Old Terminators' aren't anything I've ever seen before- and I had the Terminator box set new when it came out; Terminators never had heads like that, all the others are legit, but the 'Sargent' is in fact a Captain.

They kinda look like the commercial for space crusade. Like someone sculpted them from just seeing that live action bit. I've seen the orginal terminators with the gently caress-off huge pauldrons but these... im not sure what they are.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

LingcodKilla posted:

Legit

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well holy poo poo. I've only seen the 410609 in the wild.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ghost Hand posted:

Why do you doubt that will happen? FW changes rules all the time based on input. Especially from their self titled "experimental rules" for this unit.

1. Chaos tends to get hosed over a lot, and this isn't any different when it comes to Forgeworld.

2. Ask Bulbasaur how inconsistent they are with Rapier Laser Destroyers. Or the various errors that litter their books.

Quality control is not FWs strong point.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

LingcodKilla posted:

The shinier one looks like a recast, simply because of the metal mix.

But they are some of the very first terminators released, before they came out with the first terminator boxed set and Space Hulk.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I can get better pictures if you guys want. My experience with 40k starts at 5th.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Took 6th at the Iron Halo GT in Bartlesville, OK.

It was a really great tournament - there were 40 players overall. Beerhammer on Friday night was kind of a bust at only 8-10 players, I think. The venue was kind of run down, but I warmed to it by the end of the first day. There was a restaurant inside the same building, and they made all your meals right there and delivered them to you at your table. The staff was really awesome and accommodating. The Judges, for the most part, knew what they were doing - but over the course of the weekend I heard of several really bad calls (but hey, it happens, they were overall really great).

For having such great prize support ($500 for first, $150 for second, multiple big sponsors, etc) - I was really disappointed in the prize breakdown. They gave out over a dozen random prizes - but only ONE hobby prize - for best painted, that was judged by your peers (in the main room, with no notice, that most people didn't get to participate in because they weren't made aware of it). The voting was skewed, as the guy who won was moving in front of the other armies on the "parade" table, preventing people from getting a close look at his competition - and he vocally campaigned the whole time "Just vote for #17!"

He had some fancy lights in his models, but the painting was sub par. There was a really well done Eldar & Praetorian Imperial Guard army that absolutely got robbed because of that guy's behavior, and it really bummed me out.

I hope if any of you have local GTs or are planning some for the future, you will consider having more hobby prizes than "best appearance" - conversions and display should be awarded as well, and do the right thing and get a proper judge for the painting competitions. Leaving it to the players can be really sketchy if you have behavior like we did at Iron Halo. It didn't sour me on the whole trip, and I'll definitely go next year, but man, what a bummer.

Overall, nothing but props to Jason, Adam and Richard who ran the event. They made it an absolute blast (other than the aforementioned bullshit).

Our club took home best Tau and best Tyranids, best Sportsman, as well as 5th, 6th and 8th in the top ten. The competition was REALLY tough and there were a lot of Eldar, Tau and Space Marine Battle Companies.

I took a bare bones Gladius Strike Force with the Scout Auxiliary and no upgrades (you get a bolter, and YOU get a bolter!) along with two Imperial Knights, one Crusader and one Paladin. My only upgrade in the entire list was 5pts to turn the Crusader's melta cannon thing into a Battle Cannon. I also had 10 free Drop Pods. It was a good weekend.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

What did you play against? Also what were the bad calls? Was it ITC?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Holy moly those Chaos Squats

http://www.solegends.com/citrt2/rt4205chaossquats/Wd113p772405chaossquatsx-01.htm

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Naramyth posted:

What did you play against?

Here's a quick breakdown of my games:

R1 Win - vs Eldar & Dark Eldar
Gary was a really nice guy - fully chromatic colorblind but one of the most incredible painters I have ever met. He does everything based on shading, and all by hand. He was a great opponent, but his list wasn't tailored to the missions quite like mine was.

R2 Draw - vs Tau
Steve was super nice, his Tau list was very similar to a player from our club and I knew how to beat it. It was of course my worst mission, kill points. So we ended with a tie.

R3 Win - vs Tyranids
Mike was great. He and his son were both attending the tournament, and his son looked on and asked some good questions and clearly knew the game (never once giving his Dad advice though, Ian was very respectful!) The game was close, but I pulled out a strong win in the end. He spent too much time throwing shots at my Knight while my Battle Companies scored all the mission points.

R4 Loss - vs Tau
Richard is from our club, and we've played our lists against each other a lot in preparation for the GT. He had all the answers to my list, and there was nothing I could do about it. he went on to take fifth place, and best Tau. He's a hell of a competitor!

R5 Win - vs Necrons
Chris had come off two losses and was in a bad mood. I think he gave me a thumbs down because I called out some rules things because I was still in contention and he was looking for casual games at the end of the second day. At the end of the round, he got a 30 minute notification but never shared it with me, so he had a really long last turn. When I found out we only had five minutes left, I asked if we could split the time, he agreed, and I repositioned to win on the mission. He was sour about it, and I don't blame him.

R6 Win - vs Blood Angles & Space Marines
Nick was awesome and probably my favorite competitor of the weekend. Some of his models had built in LEDs (Like a sanguinary priest with a green laser eye) and he was a ton of fun to chat with and play at the final table. I pulled out the win after he had some really unlucky rolls on saves. We had 19 drop pods on the table, and he was able to down a Knight after I killed A Cent Squad and all but a handful of his Marines.

Here's my list:

Naramyth posted:

What did you play against? Also what were the bad calls? Was it ITC?

you updated while I was replying.

Some of the bad calls regarded treating some of the open terrain as ruins, something regarding a tank shock and how the models moving out of the way respond and some other minor things. Maybe I'm looking back more negatively than I should. All three judges tried REALLY hard to let the players come to their own conclusions about how things should be, and only stepped in when absolutely necessary. The thing that bugged me the most was that they let a rules argument go on for more than 20 minutes at one of the top tables, and robbed one of my Clubmates of what could have been a winning turn on time.

I don't want to be too hard on the three judges because I know they don't have it easy. Adam, especially, was very helpful. I learned a few rules I wasn't firm on at the event, so I'm happy.

And yeah, ITC format.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

1. Chaos tends to get hosed over a lot, and this isn't any different when it comes to Forgeworld.

2. Ask Bulbasaur how inconsistent they are with Rapier Laser Destroyers. Or the various errors that litter their books.

Quality control is not FWs strong point.

1. Imperial Armour 13 = Chaos not getting hosed over. Amazingly good book.

2. I actually know the guy that leads the editing team quite well. All things considered they do a good job in my opinion. Are there mistakes? Sure. Absolutely. I've even pointed out a copy and past error that sent my friend into fits. I'm well aware of the Rapier and have seen the conversation in this thread about it when it came to light. I've also provided that feedback to the people who work on this.

Additionally, I would say again - FW LISTENS to people when they provide constructive feedback. The experimental rules are almost ALWAYS adjusted prior to seeing print in a book.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Has there been any word on an update for the Anphilion Project book? Malanthropes, Dimachaerons and Stone-Crusher Fexes are all fine and dandy, but the Tyranid Gargantuan Creatures are in dire need of an update.

Edit: Heirodules should be 295 points to make them in line with Wraithknights, which have pretty much identical statlines. :v:

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 27, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

You don't "need' 2 Heldrakes. You could probably do with a couple vindicators instead, but part of the beauty of heldrakes is that they take up a FA slot instead of HS. Oblits are better in squads of 3, just because you get more massed firepower that way.

The 3 Helbrute squad is neat but I'm not sure it's anything more than a novelty. Helbrutes lack really great weapons and 1/3 the time they won't be doing what you want them to (remember to have them each do their own thing). Still, it's fun as hell to run.

Thanks, I'm going to have to work out the torrent ruling if I take a Heldrake. Have you ever used a decimator daemon engine? They seem like they could be fun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks, I'm going to have to work out the torrent ruling if I take a Heldrake. Have you ever used a decimator daemon engine? They seem like they could be fun.

Yeah, I've got a decimator. It's a cool unit, and better than a Helbrute, if still a bit overcosted. Against marines you'll want to use a storm laser, or go double storm laser for mad AP 3 shots.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

ToyotaThong posted:

Got bored today so I decided to do a regimental photo shoot.
Prepare for a photodump of space barbies.

It's always a treat to see an army, especially as big as the one you have, fully painted but why did you let michael j. fox take all the pictures?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So after a long time deliberating I've decided that I'm going to sell my Tau army. I've haven't had the time/inclination to paint and play it in a while and I haven't enjoyed it all that much to be honest when I have played it , also real life has been rearing its ugly head of late . Ill be putting up a thread on SA-Mart shortly with pictures and everything and Ill be happy to thrown in the army book as well sprues. If any goons are interested feel free to PM me and Ill put you on the short list when I put up the thread.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Sisko posted:

So after a long time deliberating I've decided that I'm going to sell my Tau army. I've haven't had the time/inclination to paint and play it in a while and I haven't enjoyed it all that much to be honest when I have played it , also real life has been rearing its ugly head of late . Ill be putting up a thread on SA-Mart shortly with pictures and everything and Ill be happy to thrown in the army book as well sprues. If any goons are interested feel free to PM me and Ill put you on the short list when I put up the thread.

Save enough for a Heralds of Ruin Kill-team, that way you'll always have something for a small and quick game.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm probably gonna sell my Necrons and Dark Angels too...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

The experimental rules are almost ALWAYS adjusted prior to seeing print in a book.

Question for anyone: Having never had a FW unit (even as a proxy) with experimental rules, do they tweak the online rules as they get feedback on them, before going to print?

Also, I'm curious what book the Chaos Knights will go into...

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

Has there been any word on an update for the Anphilion Project book? Malanthropes, Dimachaerons and Stone-Crusher Fexes are all fine and dandy, but the Tyranid Gargantuan Creatures are in dire need of an update.

Edit: Heirodules should be 295 points to make them in line with Wraithknights, which have pretty much identical statlines. :v:

Now now, we dont need to compare anything to the abomination that is the wraithknight, as much as I love my TGC's and agree they need some love. Dont do that to them. They deserve better.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

The current edition of IA4 is barely 12 months old, I wouldn't hold your breath for an update to that anytime soon. My money is that we'll see a new codex in about 6 months time, but the FW range could well wait until the next Apoc update. Our best hope for better GC's is if a plastic kit shows up.

Harridans are in a pretty good place, if only because there are very few decent counters to FGC's since the grounding test rules were changed. As for the rest, keep in mind that most xenos armies are in a similar position with their GCs / super-heavies. Just look at the Stompa, Squiggoth, Lord of BattleSkulls, Daemon Lords, Tiger Shark... etc. Lots of units overcosted and/or underpowered just as much as our Hierodule. I assume the majority of FW writers are Imperial / Eldar players, as they're apparently the only ones allowed to have cheap and effective super-units.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 28, 2015

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I've got a decimator. It's a cool unit, and better than a Helbrute, if still a bit overcosted. Against marines you'll want to use a storm laser, or go double storm laser for mad AP 3 shots.

My favorite thing about the decimator is that the only game you ran it in, it got completely exploded in like two turns.

Which I guess is about what happened to your Warhound too. :smuggo:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

My favorite thing about the decimator is that the only game you ran it in, it got completely exploded in like two turns.

Which I guess is about what happened to your Warhound too. :smuggo:

I've run the Decimator in other games. The Warhound is a garbage unit that only an idiot would buy though

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This excerpt from the financial report or whatever seems to indicate FW's online presence is being merged with the primary GW one?

GW Report posted:

Forge World mail order store. To protect our sales we are building a new Forge World mail order store on the same platform and hosting environment as our Citadel mail order store and migrating all products and imagery. It is on track with a scheduled go live date in the summer of 2015. It will cost £1.1 million.

Maybe more of an indicator that 30k plastics are coming.

Side question: Are Contemptor Dreads so much better than normal dreads to make them worth taking? I'm considering picking one up off of Forge World for my 40k Death Guard army.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DrPop posted:

Side question: Are Contemptor Dreads so much better than normal dreads to make them worth taking? I'm considering picking one up off of Forge World for my 40k Death Guard army.

Generally yes. You'll pay more points for a Contemptor but they're more survivable, faster and have access to better weapons options than regular Dreads. Take a Contemptor Mortis with twin Kheres Assault Cannons or Twin Autocannons and you can take on just about anything.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Warhound is a garbage unit that only an idiot would buy though

hosed up if true.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I asked myself what I call a GW shop and came up blank, realized that I've never lived near one. I guess I can give NYC credit for not having any (that I know of, never bothered searching, there were three nerd shops near me).

But... seriously, going from "Games Workshop" or "Citadel" to "Warhammer," are they all passing the bong around? Granted, nerds learn of nerd shops by word of mouthbreathers, but what doesn't, "Games Workshop" tell the general public about the business? Seems like putting, "drunken fisticuffs" in the name of a tavern instead of, you know, "tavern."

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

£1.1 million for a website? Are the servers made out of gold or something?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Funnily enough I have only ever heard of their shops being referred to as either Games Workshop or GW. You know, what with it being the name. Changing it to Warhammer because "that's what they call us" just shows how detached from the customers they are.

Also, freeze pay while commissioning an idol to glorify your hubris. Classy.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Zark the Damned posted:

It was £4 million already, have they spent even more on it?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Well he's not wrong; if I hadn't seen that sigmarine I wouldn't have believed it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Yes, and in the shape of sigmarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

I asked myself what I call a GW shop and came up blank, realized that I've never lived near one. I guess I can give NYC credit for not having any (that I know of, never bothered searching, there were three nerd shops near me).

But... seriously, going from "Games Workshop" or "Citadel" to "Warhammer," are they all passing the bong around? Granted, nerds learn of nerd shops by word of mouthbreathers, but what doesn't, "Games Workshop" tell the general public about the business? Seems like putting, "drunken fisticuffs" in the name of a tavern instead of, you know, "tavern."

"Games Workshop" implies you have games - whether electronic or board. I guarantee that 50% of the foot traffic into a GW store is people stepping in and looking around quizzically for the PS3 games. The other 40% are people looking for Monopoly or puzzles at Christmas time (I used to work in a game store.) The remaining 10% are, of course, the people who would actually go to a GW store.

• Locked thread