Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Azazell0 posted:

It just proves how good of an actor they are. Especially Dillane.

Seems puzzling to me that they wouldn't give any background information to an actor on his character or relation to others he interacts with. I don't mean they should make reading the books mandatory, but surely they would perform better in their role with some knowledge on what kind of character they are playing?

I'd be shocked if they have the time to meet all the actors with speaking roles before the season wraps to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
That makes sense for inconsequential roles, not major players like Dillane.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I guess some people didn't get my reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGGEymAXD7s

Also, they do give the actors the script before throwing them on stage, they get to go over it and hash things out at a reading with the rest of the cast.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dillane's performance in seasons two and three is largely just fine I guess but there are some weird moments, like when he smirks at Davos in his cell for no good reason. It's hard to say whether truly we've been 'filling in the gaps' not only as watchers but also as people who've read the books and had certain expectations or whether the show did portray his character with the same nuances the book did.

Ultimately, if Dillane feels he wasn't properly brought up to speed as far as the character is concerned I would consider it sufficient proof that D&D don't seem to consider GRRM's characterizations as important and are generally just interested in hitting the story beats.

While we're at it:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yrp6_ian-mckellen-on-extras_shortfilms

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 25, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

As much as we like to joke about D&D being lovely producers, the truth is that acting isn't really that difficult and we, the audience, do most of the work of filling in the blanks.

Jennifer Hudson's got an Oscar, and Bob Odenkirk is nominated for best lead actor in a drama series, so yeah, acting is probably not as hard as Emilia Clarke makes it look.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly gently caress off if you think bob odenkirk is a bad actor.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol at "acting isn't that hard", have you people never seen student films or..?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly gently caress off if you think bob odenkirk is a bad actor.
Seriously. Bob Odenkirk is awesome.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

a cop posted:

Game of Thrones.

The last one being representative of all of Dorne this season.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Obara Sand is worse than bad pussy by far

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
If an actor is doing it right you are meant to forget they are acting and just buy into the character. The fact there is a lot of poo poo actors out there doesnt mean its easy, actually quite the opposite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a cop posted:

Emilia Clarke has been nominated twice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Groovelord Neato posted:

Emilia Clarke has been nominated twice.

And Keri Russell hasn't been nominated once, and it took Tatiana Maslany three seasons of Orphan Black to finally get one.

Awards can be really stupid most of the time. Emilia is a lead on an HBO prestige drama. That's almost a guaranteed nomination.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Touchdown Boy posted:

If an actor is doing it right you are meant to forget they are acting and just buy into the character. The fact there is a lot of poo poo actors out there doesnt mean its easy, actually quite the opposite.

Yeah, this. Especially when the actor is someone you know and recognise from other roles, but you start to forget that they're an actor pretending to be someone else. I guess the classic GOT examples are Sean Bean and Mark Addy - they've been around for a long time and have played a lot of roles, but once they appear on screen you completely buy into them as Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

A lot of people being critical over the past few pages are mostly just saying dumb poo poo about how they imagine how the television industry works.

D&D deserve some criticism because of the nature of their profession but half of what people are saying is commonplace or holds no relevance specifically to Game of Thrones. If an actor/actress wants to read the source material of a character it's entirely up to them. There's a lot more important things to worry about from a production and logistical standpoint than what everyone is butt hurt about. They care about the actors knowing their lines and emoting properly. Do you think Jack Nicholson read every batman comic before playing the Joker in 1989??? Probably not, Tim Burton sure was a piece of poo poo for not educating him.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 27, 2015

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Irish Joe posted:

Excuse me, but Stannis IS the Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne; an experienced battle commander, having both destroyed the Greyjoy fleet and crushed the King Beyond the Wall; and Azor Ahai Reborn, as evidenced by his possession of the magic sword Lightbringer.

He outfoxed the mental midget Victarion, defeated a bunch of cavemen wearing skins with an army of mounted knights, and never figured out that his magic fire sword wasn't hot. A true man of destiny (for me to poop on).

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 27, 2015

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

In a story driven show like this, you can't really have actors inventing their own backstories for the characters when everyone's backstories have ramifications to both other characters and the present plot.

Of course you can. It's done often.

Regardless of how story driven a script for a television show or film is, it's not some ultracomplex structure that can only be assembled in one way, there is always plenty of flexibility for actors to do their thing and for the people making it to follow different roads. I mean this is what GRRM himself does, he has an idea of what the main characters' ending is, but he does not appear to believe that there is one single way of getting there, or that it's the only possible ending for his characters.

It is kind of crazy and stupid, the logical thing would be for the actors on GoT to know their backstory and all that, but the creative side of the film industry isn't always very logical.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
He's back...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhhYFsoMMik

Still no Sweetrobin.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Jeyne Poole = gene pool

Well, I'm convinced.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
Genetic genocide

:viggo:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Why the gently caress would the Lords right to the first night make more bastards that literally makes no sense. They would have no way of proving the illegitimacy/parentage of the child if the wife had to sleep with a lord the night before her wedding to her actual husband

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Also, it's not just a lack of background about their characters, it's that they're apparently given little information of the show itself. Mace's actor said he didn't even know that Tywin, Cersei, and Joffrey were related and received no information about the story before he was on set and acting. Now, I'm sure people would like to imagine that it was intentional because the showrunners are such geniuses and wanted Mace's actor to be completely out of loop in order to capture his character well, but then you have Stephen Dillane saying he was told nothing about his character except that he "won a few battles", and that he had to specifically fish around to get even that, which kills that idea dead.

That is 100% perfect for MAce and fully in character

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jon Snow is revived as Jon Snowjo and turns out to be the 8th Jojo, his childhood is a secret because of his Joestar heritage

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Calling it now GOT is all a dream and Swearengen will wake up in the last episode yelling cocksucker. Deadwood will then run its last season.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Calling it now GOT is all a dream and Swearengen will wake up in the last episode yelling cocksucker. Deadwood will then run its last season.

I would be ok with that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I enjoy watching Preston Jacobs stuff, mostly because it is a little crazy and his production values are much higher than most people with crazy thoughts. I really do like the information about GRRMs other works, too.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I think it's certainly true that reading an author's other works can give you a much better impression of the themes and issues that interest them and that they will likely return to, but extracting specific plot points from that is insanity.

Also that he uses a picture of a Klingon to illustrate Sci-Fi that doesn't follow the "Species are defined by what you can't produce viable offspring with" rule when, as I'm sure we all know, in Series 6 Episode 20 of Star Trek The Next Generation, they established that life in the Alpha Quadrant had a common ancestor.

:goonsay:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am so glad that I am not the only person that had that reaction to that little snippet.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

I know I said the same thing about Oberyn casting but I would love Ian McShane to turn up as Randyll Tarly, some weird mix of Swearengen and all the dickish father figures he's played in movies like Hot Rod and Cuban Fury.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

There is only one actor cut out to be Randyll Tarly, and it's the guy who played Red Forman.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

There is only one actor cut out to be Randyll Tarly, and it's the guy who played Red Forman.

I want this so bad.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Personally, I've always pictured Randyll Tarly as Baron Harkonnen with a mustache.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kurtwood Smith.

"I don't want to gently caress with you, Mace, but I got the connections. I got the Small Council. I got the muscle to shove enough of Highgarden so far up your stupid fat rear end that you'll poo poo gold roses for a year."

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I generally enjoy the first parts of the Preston Jacobs videos...until he turns into the Wild Mass Guessing page from TV Tropes.

"Conspiracies in King's Landing Part IV" - "So that is why Qyburn is a Time Lord who escaped from Hogwarts by taking Rhaegar's red pill and fleeing into the Matrix. Goodnight everyone!"

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Regardless of how story driven a script for a television show or film is, it's not some ultracomplex structure that can only be assembled in one way, there is always plenty of flexibility for actors to do their thing and for the people making it to follow different roads. I mean this is what GRRM himself does, he has an idea of what the main characters' ending is, but he does not appear to believe that there is one single way of getting there, or that it's the only possible ending for his characters.

The show is story driven whereas the books are character driven. They're such completely different approaches to storytelling that, despite the fact that the show is an adaptation of the books, the ways they're written aren't really comparable beyond "eh yeah people sometimes get new ideas while they work."

In the books, Jon Snow betrays his oath and decides to march for Winterfell as the culmination of hundreds of pages of character development. It's an organic character moment because GRRM believes that the only way to have such scenes is to properly earn them. If Jon Snow had a different backstory, his story would change to reflect the difference.

In the show no one gives a gently caress if Kit Harrington plays Jon Snow as a Saiyan who crash landed outside of Winterfell three weeks before they filmed the pilot because gently caress you, we're still stabbing that doe-eyed bitch.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

"You don't need a good raping, you just need a good kick in the rear end!"

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Regulus74 posted:

In the books, Jon Snow betrays his oath and decides to march for Winterfell as the culmination of hundreds of pages of character development. It's an organic character moment because GRRM believes that the only way to have such scenes is to properly earn them.

That's not a very organic storyline. It's quite dumb and you can tell GRRM just wanted things to end that way so he wrote a bunch of bullshit to get to his predetermined ending.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 28, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Personally, I've always pictured Randyll Tarly as Baron Harkonnen with a mustache.

I always pictured Mark Strong, old but still looks hard enough to introduce your ribs to the toe of his boot if you gently caress with him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Recast Stephen Dillane as Randyll Tarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Pedro De Heredia posted:

That's not a very organic storyline. It's quite dumb and you can tell GRRM just wanted things to end that way so he wrote a bunch of bullshit to get to his predetermined ending.

I didn't feel that way at all. To me it was more like Jon struggles with his identity as a Stark, a Nightswatchman, and a bastard throughout the story. In Thrones, Clash, and Storm we see him growing and gaining his own context for his oaths and the lessons imparted to him at Winterfell.

His honour and duty are core to how he sees himself. When given command of the Night’s watch he makes tough decisions for what he sees to as the betterment of the Night’s watch organisation, the lands south of the wall, and the coming war. He is unable to move past his roots both due to the proximity of castle black and Winterfell and the appearance of Stannis. Through Stannis he literally gets to decide whether or not to be a Stark or LC of the NW, he chooses the later due his sense of duty but also goes beyond the purview of the Watch and provides Stannis with strategic advice and some logistical assistance.

As the North continues to struggle under the absence of the Starks its politics occupy more of Jon’s time. Melisandre puts direct choices in front of Jon that ostensibly give him an opportunity to help his former family. Jon continues to struggle with who he is and his duties, his position as LC gives him more opportunities to make direct choices than previously and we see him putting his family and his ideals of the North forward while the Watch and Others are his main priorities. Until Ramsey’s letter.

• Locked thread