Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Contingency Plan posted:

Quick question: How do I get my dynasty onto the thrones of other nations? Is there more to it than doing a royal marriage and hoping for the best?

That and maintaining high Prestige. I'm not sure exactly how the calculations work, but having a marriage, high prestige, and I think distance are factored in when choosing which new dynasty succeeds. It's mostly RNG though, yeah.

Edit:
not sure how accurate this is http://www.eu4wiki.com/Personal_union
but according to that article, the highest development marriage partner gets their dynasty to succeed

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I just realized that by forming Prussia I'll be removed from the empire, which means I have no reason to care about the health of the empire in the long term. Now I'm wondering if being emperor means the other HRE states can't coalition me. Because I could probably eat a ton of them before I gently caress off.

e: Could have sworn I read a tooltip that said I'd get removed from the empire.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 27, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TTBF posted:

I just realized that by forming Prussia I'll be removed from the empire, which means I have no reason to care about the health of the empire in the long term. Now I'm wondering if being emperor means the other HRE states can't coalition me. Because I could probably eat a ton of them before I gently caress off.
You're an elector, pretty sure you won't get kicked from the empire. And if you did, you could just re-add yourself since you're the emperor.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TTBF posted:

Why are you not playing the beta patch.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Why are you not playing the beta patch.

I am. I must have confused the tooltips for forming Germany and Prussia.

Jeez, that's a bad mistake. Glad it was pointed out to me before I tried burning down the entire empire upon hitting admin tech 10.

e: I have never played a game that required me to learn about HRE mechanics before this one, so a lot of it is confusing me.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any difference in AE between taking provinces in a war you started and a war the enemy declared upon you?

Also, did they tone down the whole Sejm civil war for Poland? Last time was a nightmare, with stacks of 90 regiments of nobles popping up in Waraw. This game, there was a 30-regiment stack in Sierdaz and another 20-stack somewhere close, then a pair of 2 15-unit stacks later on, and I had won. Between Humanist ideas and an Unrest-decreasing advisor, it was a breeze.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sephyr posted:

Is there any difference in AE between taking provinces in a war you started and a war the enemy declared upon you?

Yes, but only because a war declared by you has a casus belli which might influence the AE you get, as well as diplo cost, etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Poland is just tough as poo poo now. As Sweden I had Bohemia, Austria (who were in another war to be fair) and Muscovy versus Poland-Lithuania and they just whooped me down. Right after they declared war on The Golden Horde and whooped down their friends the Ottomans. I just keep praying their prestige tanks and they lose the PU.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Arrrrg. Is there a good way to switch to republics from monarchies? I'm playing as Malacca and went for cultural acceptance ideas with the eventual goal of getting Plutocratic Ideas and only just realized that I have Aristocratic as an option instead, and it's 1705.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Sephyr posted:

Also, did they tone down the whole Sejm civil war for Poland? Last time was a nightmare, with stacks of 90 regiments of nobles popping up in Waraw. This game, there was a 30-regiment stack in Sierdaz and another 20-stack somewhere close, then a pair of 2 15-unit stacks later on, and I had won. Between Humanist ideas and an Unrest-decreasing advisor, it was a breeze.

I think it was, aside from the initial rebel stacks popping at the start I literally had no other rebels for two years and then I got the pop up saying it was over.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is the unit selection at different tech levels of much significance? Or is it mainly just fluff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trundel posted:

Arrrrg. Is there a good way to switch to republics from monarchies? I'm playing as Malacca and went for cultural acceptance ideas with the eventual goal of getting Plutocratic Ideas and only just realized that I have Aristocratic as an option instead, and it's 1705.

How did you not look at the idea set for 300 years. Anyway just take Religious and keep it till you get the event that spawns Revolutionary Rebels, then allow yourself to fall to them. Alternatively, switch to Absolute Monarchy and allow yourself to succumb to the Aspiration For Liberty disaster.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

MikeC posted:

Is the unit selection at different tech levels of much significance? Or is it mainly just fluff.

It's not fluff but it probably doesn't matter much in single player. Each unit type has different pips but any two/three unit types at the same tech level will have the same amount of pips. There's two factors to every unit choice: offensive vs. defensive and fire vs. shock. Could be wrong but I think going for offensive pips is better most of the time unless you're defending in good terrain and can afford to drag the fight out or benefit by dragging fights out like if you have attrition adding ideas or you're in a position where you need to hold out for allied reinforcements. Otherwise you'll just want to do as much damage as you can since regiments don't fight as well once they've taken casualties. As for fire vs. shock, it depends on what year it is and what kind of generals you have. For infantry, shock is better early on but then around tech 14 they even out and fire is better from mil tech 20 and onwards because of the modifiers you get as you tech up. For artillery, just try to go for as much offensive fire as possible. For cav you probably just want as much offensive shock as you can get.

E: It's also worth mentioning the fire has another advantage in that combat starts off in the fire phase so a shock army is going to take losses before it inflicts them.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 28, 2015

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gently caress. How do I manage to get going as Sweden before Denmark drags me into some stupid war? They got a mission for Ösel and did not give a single crap that Muscovy just curbstomped Novgorod, landing 30k troops into Finland. Things got messy.

I think that getting Poland or Novgorod's support is just delaying the inevitable trouble, so perhaps Austria or France would care?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Transmetropolitan posted:

gently caress. How do I manage to get going as Sweden before Denmark drags me into some stupid war? They got a mission for Ösel and did not give a single crap that Muscovy just curbstomped Novgorod, landing 30k troops into Finland. Things got messy.

I think that getting Poland or Novgorod's support is just delaying the inevitable trouble, so perhaps Austria or France would care?

You can usually get Lithuania and Scotland right off the bat, if Denmark rivals them. The last couple Sweden games I've noticed that Denmark breaks their army against the rebels on Gotland two times in a row, so just wait for that to happen and strike. Hope they don't ally Poland like they did in one of my games.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Build nothing but galleys. Take out loans if you have to. Then when you see Denmark go to kill the Gotland pretender, immediately smash their transport fleet and trap the army there. Bam, war is won and all you have to do now is block the straits and siege down Norway/Denmark.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Larry Parrish posted:

How did you not look at the idea set for 300 years. Anyway just take Religious and keep it till you get the event that spawns Revolutionary Rebels, then allow yourself to fall to them. Alternatively, switch to Absolute Monarchy and allow yourself to succumb to the Aspiration For Liberty disaster.

I was too busy fighting Portugal and Castille, and having fun :(
I went Exploration, Expansion, and Offensive off of the bat because I wanted the entire Indies and Australia to myself and I hate not having good generals, and only after running into a weak Portugal and a moderate Castille (France blew up into 10 different minor countries, the reformation did next to nothing, and the only colonizers are GB, Castille, Portugal, Netherlands and myself) and taking provinces off of them did I start to think about getting Portugese and Castillan as accepted cultures. Since I already kind of knew what I wanted I guess that I never just looked at the ideas screen for more than 2 seconds.

I will try one, or both of those thank you!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone please explain trade to me as if I am a literal five year old? I started a new Ironman game as Portugal last night and I've colonized four provinces on the coast of Africa (also grabbing the center of trade there) and allowed my trade company to run them. I also colonized a fair chunk of Brazil. However, I'm seriously constrained by cash at almost any given point, and I can never do more than one thing at a time. If I'm colonizing, I have to set military maintenance to zero. If I'm fighting, colony maintenance is zero. I can never afford three advisors at once (most of them time I can only afford one).

How the hell am I supposed to do anything without higher income? I tried to research trade mechanics and such, but things like trade steering vs collecting are just not clicking for me. Can someone give me a simple explanation, with examples, of how to make my merchants give me mad stacks of ducats? Also, some of my colonies/provinces produce cocoa and slaves, which are very lucrative goods in this game - how do I take advantage of that and turn those raw resources into cash?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok trade 101

Look at the trade map, it's a series of tubes. All provinces belong to a trade node, and the sum total of their production becomes the trade value. This is how much money that node is worth. So how does trade move? Well it flows down the pipes or stays where it is due to trade power. Every country has a trade power total in a node. If I have 50 trade power in a node and everyone else combined has 50 trade power, it means I control 50% of that node. But what does that mean?

The more trade power you have over a node, the more say you have over what the trade VALUE in that node does. You can plop a merchant on the node and tell it to "transfer" trade power, that means you will use your trade power to make the trade flow out of that node down into the next node, and if there are multiple nodes to flow to, you get to pick which node it goes to. Trade works like a river, little streams get diverted into bigger and bigger rivers of gold, and you want that golden shower spraying all over your home node!

What's your home node? It's the node you have your capital in. You automatically COLLECT in that node, placing a merchant there only gives a very tiny nearly useless bonus. If your home node is an "end node" this means the trade has no where else to flow to, which means you can keep more of it for your self. If it's not an end node (in you case as portugal your node is Sevilla) you just want to get as much trade power as possible to skim as much proffit as you can before the trade keeps flowing to the next node.

As a colonial power you want to colonize only areas that you can reliably send that trade forward to your home node. Caribbean is a good spot, africa isn't so good unless you also have Caribean because for some reason the trade flows from africa to Caribbean then to Sevilla. But all your colonizing is nearly useless if you aren't sending that trade home. And a few colonies will only net a tiny bit of money. Even if you control 100% of the caribbean and you're sending like 3 gold to Seville you might only have 20% trade power in your home node, meaning you're only keeping 20% of that gold. In fact by not controling the lion's share of the trade POWER in your home node, all your colonizing will just be enriching who ever does.

For instance in my current game I'm playing it northern Italian country and I have about 80% trade power in my home node of Genoa, which is also an end node. I haven't colonized at all, spain and portugal have filled in the new world. What I do instead is have a merchant in Sevilla sending its trade to me, and a huge fleet that ends up giving me like 60% trade power there. Portugal and Spain get to keep only a tiny bit of their trade value, while the lion's share flows to me. Their colonies are making me rich. Now of course if I didn't have a large amount of trade power in their node, they'd get to keep it all. But it's not just me pulling, it's other countries that are in the Genoa node, they are all also working hard to pull this trade. Sometimes you don't have to pull trade at all, other countries do most of the heavy lifting for you when its in their interests.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Send all of the trade to your home node. If you can swing it make your home node and end node.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

Trujillo did a pretty good summary, generally there aren't many meaningful choices but look at your Shock/Fire modifiers from tech and maybe your general stats before deciding. The only thing I'd say is outright bad is offensive Fire on cavalry, it is literally like 3-5x weaker than an offensive Shock pip. Defensive Fire is great but cav Fire modifiers are garbage.

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone please explain trade to me as if I am a literal five year old? I started a new Ironman game as Portugal last night and I've colonized four provinces on the coast of Africa (also grabbing the center of trade there) and allowed my trade company to run them. I also colonized a fair chunk of Brazil. However, I'm seriously constrained by cash at almost any given point, and I can never do more than one thing at a time. If I'm colonizing, I have to set military maintenance to zero. If I'm fighting, colony maintenance is zero. I can never afford three advisors at once (most of them time I can only afford one).

How the hell am I supposed to do anything without higher income? I tried to research trade mechanics and such, but things like trade steering vs collecting are just not clicking for me. Can someone give me a simple explanation, with examples, of how to make my merchants give me mad stacks of ducats? Also, some of my colonies/provinces produce cocoa and slaves, which are very lucrative goods in this game - how do I take advantage of that and turn those raw resources into cash?

It's really complicated, honestly. I'll try and hit the broad strokes, feel free to ask more specific questions and I'm sure other posters will chime in.

You get Trade Power in a node based on provinces and light ships on the Protect Trade mission. Merchants also contribute a small amount of Power and a larger amount of "Caravan Power" when steering trade from an inland node, but in the case of Portugal you won't be doing a lot of that. You can use Merchants to either collect from the node, or push that value downstream. You automatically collect in your home node where your capital is, so there isn't a need to station a merchant in Sevilla. You can also collect in nodes outside of your main trading port, but you do so at a 50% penalty to Trade Power, so you mostly you want to funnel it all back to Sevilla where possible.

Sending a merchant to Transfer Power will cause whatever power you have in that node to push trade money downstream in the direction you choose. Note that you don't always need to send a merchant to steer, if the money is already flowing in the direction you want, the merchant may be more useful elsewhere. For example, buddy Castile/Spain might have merchants pulling trade toward Sevilla from the Caribbean and Brazil. You want to focus on having your merchants steer in nodes where:

1) there's lots of cash
2) you have a decent chunk of trade power or can send light ships to increase it
3) the cash isn't flowing in the direction you want it to

In your case you'll probably want to be steering in Brazil and Ivory Coast, I'd imagine. Keep in mind you get +1 Merchant for each colony with 10+ provinces and each trading company with a dominant share in their node, so eventually you'll have a ton of merchants.

A few things to try to improve your income, also posting a screenshot of your trade screen and the map would help us give you advice. Probably ditch some of your heavy ships, you don't need many of them at least early on. Mothball your heavies when you're not in a war. Build a decent fleet of light ships and send them to protect trade in rich nodes where you can squeeze out more cash. Run your armies at partial (but not zero!) maintenance. It's alright not to be able to afford advisers all the time, colonies are expensive and you'll have plenty of points anyway. What year is it? It might take until the mid 1500s to start getting decent trade income from New World colonization.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Trujillo did a pretty good summary, generally there aren't many meaningful choices but look at your Shock/Fire modifiers from tech and maybe your general stats before deciding. The only thing I'd say is outright bad is offensive Fire on cavalry, it is literally like 3-5x weaker than an offensive Shock pip. Defensive Fire is great but cav Fire modifiers are garbage.

It's really complicated, honestly. I'll try and hit the broad strokes, feel free to ask more specific questions and I'm sure other posters will chime in.

You get Trade Power in a node based on provinces and light ships on the Protect Trade mission. Merchants also contribute a small amount of Power and a larger amount of "Caravan Power" when steering trade from an inland node, but in the case of Portugal you won't be doing a lot of that. You can use Merchants to either collect from the node, or push that value downstream. You automatically collect in your home node where your capital is, so there isn't a need to station a merchant in Sevilla. You can also collect in nodes outside of your main trading port, but you do so at a 50% penalty to Trade Power, so you mostly you want to funnel it all back to Sevilla where possible.

Sending a merchant to Transfer Power will cause whatever power you have in that node to push trade money downstream in the direction you choose. Note that you don't always need to send a merchant to steer, if the money is already flowing in the direction you want, the merchant may be more useful elsewhere. For example, buddy Castile/Spain might have merchants pulling trade toward Sevilla from the Caribbean and Brazil. You want to focus on having your merchants steer in nodes where:

1) there's lots of cash
2) you have a decent chunk of trade power or can send light ships to increase it
3) the cash isn't flowing in the direction you want it to

In your case you'll probably want to be steering in Brazil and Ivory Coast, I'd imagine. Keep in mind you get +1 Merchant for each colony with 10+ provinces and each trading company with a dominant share in their node, so eventually you'll have a ton of merchants.

A few things to try to improve your income, also posting a screenshot of your trade screen and the map would help us give you advice. Probably ditch some of your heavy ships, you don't need many of them at least early on. Mothball your heavies when you're not in a war. Build a decent fleet of light ships and send them to protect trade in rich nodes where you can squeeze out more cash. Run your armies at partial (but not zero!) maintenance. It's alright not to be able to afford advisers all the time, colonies are expensive and you'll have plenty of points anyway. What year is it? It might take until the mid 1500s to start getting decent trade income from New World colonization.

Thanks a ton for this (and to Baronjutter). Right now, the year is around 1490-ish (can't remember exactly and I'm at work). I've left my merchants in their default positions. If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to:

1. Build more light ships and send them to protect trade in rich areas - should I pick provinces/colonies I own that are rich? For example, I control the COT at Grain Coast (I think that's it) and the colonies to the left and right of it. Send a fleet of light ships to protect trade there and send a merchant to steer that trade to Sevilla?

2. Use merchants to steer trade from my Brazilian colonies to Sevilla?

3. How do I figure out which direction the trade is flowing, and what node to send a merchant to in order to steer that trade to Sevilla?

Edit: 4. Is there a definite benefit to giving my trade company power in my African provinces over removing that? It looks like the trade bonuses are nice and I'm not planning on fighting any major wars other than colonization in the Americas. I'm keeping my alliances to a minimum and always keeping Castille happy since they can crush me at any time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I still think the tradeflow from North America is weird. Like St. Lawrence and Caribbean flow directly to France, but Chesapeake (inbetween them) does not. There's literally no way to get trade from Chesapeake or St. Lawrence back to Spain.

I'm guessing it's designed to force certain colonial behavior in the AI? But it kinda annoys me. I might have test a personal mod where trade from each of the three outgoing American nodes flows into each of the incoming European nodes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

HonorableTB posted:

In addition to what everyone else suggests, try just experimenting by placing merchants at different nodes and waiting for the month to end to see how much that affects your trade income. I find that as intimidating as it looks, it's a fairly intuitive system once you fool around with it enough (even all those random fiddly numbers like "Trade Steering" and so forth are just extra modifiers that boost your power at a node; the only goal there is to make them big).

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks a ton for this (and to Baronjutter). Right now, the year is around 1490-ish (can't remember exactly and I'm at work). I've left my merchants in their default positions. If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to:

1. Build more light ships and send them to protect trade in rich areas - should I pick provinces/colonies I own that are rich? For example, I control the COT at Grain Coast (I think that's it) and the colonies to the left and right of it. Send a fleet of light ships to protect trade there and send a merchant to steer that trade to Sevilla?

3. How do I figure out which direction the trade is flowing, and what node to send a merchant to in order to steer that trade to Sevilla?

Edit: 4. Is there a definite benefit to giving my trade company power in my African provinces over removing that? It looks like the trade bonuses are nice and I'm not planning on fighting any major wars other than colonization in the Americas. I'm keeping my alliances to a minimum and always keeping Castille happy since they can crush me at any time.
1. Light ships add to trade power, which is separate from the production/tax of a province, so you actually want them in nodes that you want to control (generally, the same nodes you station merchants at). These are more often key nodes like Caribbean and Ivory Coast that can send trade to many different places, rather than rich provinces.

2. Brazil, I believe, only directs trade to Ivory Coast, so it's relatively pointless to try to add power at the Brazil node (since most of the money can only go one direction). You don't need to worry that trade is being forwarded from your provinces specifically, though, just ones that have a lot of money in them.

3. To clarify about "direction": trade always flows in the same direction between two nodes (for example, always from Caribbean to Sevilla). You can't control that. What you can control is, at a point where the trade network branches (again, like Caribbean), which of those branches you send money down. You do that by parking a merchant there and telling him to steer trade to, say, Sevilla. How much trade is sent to Sevilla depends on the total trade power of everyone steering money there.

4. Trade companies just boost trade power, so use them like you would light ships in terms of putting them on key nodes. Which African node is it? Some, like Ivory Coast, this is necessary. For other ones where trade only goes in one direction, like the Cape of Good Hope, you don't need to worry about boosting trade power there and can keep them as normal provinces if you like.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

You're really early in the colonial game, you won't see much in the way of returns for a few more decades, so just keep that in mind. You have the right general ideas, I would bet you can save a lot of cash by deleting/mothballing your heavy ships, replace them with light ships and experiment with merchant placement and trade fleets. You might get more just by having your light ships protect in Sevilla for now.

If you look at the map, you probably want a merchant steering in Ivory Coast -> Safi and then another Safi -> Sevilla. Once you discover and start colonizing the Caribbean you may want to reroute that. Again don't expect to rake in massive ducats just yet.

If you flip to the trade mapmode there are little arrows where you can select the direction your merchants will steer.

It's probably a good idea to add all your provinces to Trade Companies that are available. You won't get much tax or manpower from them anyway.

Edit: since you're bffs with Castile and probably on at least good terms with England, I'd say you can get rid of most/all of your heavies. They are super expensive in maintenance, and will you likely be fighting any naval powers without Castile's help? Nah. For now just delete all but two heavy ships or even all of them if you want, you can build a bunch later on when you have more income and an actual use for them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fintilgin posted:

I still think the tradeflow from North America is weird. Like St. Lawrence and Caribbean flow directly to France, but Chesapeake (inbetween them) does not. There's literally no way to get trade from Chesapeake or St. Lawrence back to Spain.

I'm guessing it's designed to force certain colonial behavior in the AI? But it kinda annoys me. I might have test a personal mod where trade from each of the three outgoing American nodes flows into each of the incoming European nodes.

I do wish Trade Nodes were a little more flexible, but that would probably risk making the trade system just completely impenetrable to newer players. It's just such a bummer when you own every province in a node and it doesn't really do anything for you because the only way out of the node is in a direction you don't control so all you get is some power sent upstream, which you may not even need. I also wish it was easier to lock a node down, for lack of a better term if you own all the provinces and have decent trade power or mercantilism or military strength or power projection or something. It was a bummer playing as Kongo in my African Power game and watching a bunch of my trade value fly out of the Ivory Coast towards Europe despite the fact that I owned literally every province in Africa.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

VDay posted:

I do wish Trade Nodes were a little more flexible, but that would probably risk making the trade system just completely impenetrable to newer players. It's just such a bummer when you own every province in a node and it doesn't really do anything for you because the only way out of the node is in a direction you don't control so all you get is some power sent upstream, which you may not even need. I also wish it was easier to lock a node down, for lack of a better term if you own all the provinces and have decent trade power or mercantilism or military strength or power projection or something. It was a bummer playing as Kongo in my African Power game and watching a bunch of my trade value fly out of the Ivory Coast towards Europe despite the fact that I owned literally every province in Africa.
You can always collect at the last node that you dominate the trade of. You get the penalty if it's not your home node, but if there's a lot of money to gain it's a small penalty.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

You can always collect at the last node that you dominate the trade of. You get the penalty if it's not your home node, but if there's a lot of money to gain it's a small penalty.

This is why I usually try to grab Cape in South Africa when I'm playing a colonizer. It's a really convenient naval/trade chokepoint.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

You're really early in the colonial game, you won't see much in the way of returns for a few more decades, so just keep that in mind. You have the right general ideas, I would bet you can save a lot of cash by deleting/mothballing your heavy ships, replace them with light ships and experiment with merchant placement and trade fleets. You might get more just by having your light ships protect in Sevilla for now.

If you look at the map, you probably want a merchant steering in Ivory Coast -> Safi and then another Safi -> Sevilla. Once you discover and start colonizing the Caribbean you may want to reroute that. Again don't expect to rake in massive ducats just yet.

If you flip to the trade mapmode there are little arrows where you can select the direction your merchants will steer.

It's probably a good idea to add all your provinces to Trade Companies that are available. You won't get much tax or manpower from them anyway.

Edit: since you're bffs with Castile and probably on at least good terms with England, I'd say you can get rid of most/all of your heavies. They are super expensive in maintenance, and will you likely be fighting any naval powers without Castile's help? Nah. For now just delete all but two heavy ships or even all of them if you want, you can build a bunch later on when you have more income and an actual use for them.

What should I be looking at in the trade screen to see when and where I should send merchants? Should I always steer or should I collect?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

What should I be looking at in the trade screen to see when and where I should send merchants? Should I always steer or should I collect?

Don't worry about collecting for now, you automatically collect in your capital (Sevilla) without needing a merchant. You can use either the Trade mapmode or menu screen, or both. The menu tab will list nodes by their $$ and how much trade power you have, and you can use the mapmode to see how they connect. For now you probably want to steer (Transfer Power) in Ivory Coast and Safi

Edit: also it sounds like you're aware of this, but focus your colonization on provinces with the little river Estuary or Center of Trade province modifiers. Those will give you a ton more Trade Power and are a priority.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Go in to trade mode and look at the arrows that are flowing into the Sevilla trade node (your main trade port). The nodes that are flowing directly into your Sevilla trade node (iirc, that would be Ivory Coast and the Caribbean) are the places you want to stick your merchants and where you want to colonize/conquer to dominate trade.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks everyone for your help! I understand this a bit better...can't wait to get home and start sending colonists to the Caribbean and building up fleets of light ships.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I've never seen AI Knights do so good, let alone that Theodoro or Hungary.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah I just wish the system was more, I don't know...flexible I guess, or at least not so binary. Like it's pretty annoying that you can have 99% trade power in some intersection node in the middle of your empire but have to keep a merchant there because if the nation that has the 1% puts their merchant there they can move 100% of the trade value in a direction away from you.

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks everyone for your help! I understand this a bit better...can't wait to get home and start sending colonists to the Caribbean and building up fleets of light ships.
Just one last thing to think about/pay attention to: keep in mind that trade power only directly translates to trade revenue if you're stealing some value from some other nations. In other words, if you already have 100% control of a node and are using it to send that node's value forward, putting your light ships or a merchant there isn't going to do anything. So when it's time to assign those, it's all about trying to figure out which nodes you need the most "help" in, so that you can squeeze more value out of them and send them to your home node where you can actually collect said value.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Larry Parrish posted:

Having just tried and failed my first Byzantine game, the Ottomans' position here warms the cockles of my heart.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

This is like the 5th pic in the thread of this happening with the latest patch, i think.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Back To 99 posted:

This is like the 5th pic in the thread of this happening with the latest patch, i think.

Speaking of, anyone have any tips for getting a Knights game off the ground? They have great NIs and monastic orders are fun now with Devoutness and the new succession mechanics, but it's always seemed a tough start.

Edit: I'm going to guess it involves restarting until Venice and Austria are bffs, allying Venice, then lots of prayer.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It mostly involves hoping the Ottos slip up and fight too many people at once. Usually happens if they attack Hungary in a game where Austria is friendly with them and has Defender of the Faith, especially before ~1500.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
War advice please: I just been attacked by Pasai, from whom I stole some provinces near my colonies in Asia. Its a reconquest war.

They are bit weaker than me, but their alliance includes the Ottomans (who is an unstoppable huge blob with 5 or 6 times my army. And also my neighbour) and England and some other medium sized powers in Asia and even some colonies in America.

Ive tried this war a few times now (no ironman here, my first EU4 game in years) . My navy is able to destroy their navy, and my army (which I moved all to Asia) is able to beat back their first strike. But then they will retreat and come back with more and more troops and I cant reinforce fast enough (how the gently caress they can?) so I eventually lose. Also, the Ottomans will strike at my homeland (arabian peninsula) with a bunch of 50K stacks (my whole army amounts to 60K) and I cant do anything about it.

Maybe I could beat Pasai at their land if I keep spamming mercs to reinforce my army (I have around 1K gold), but what to do about my homeland? Will they give up if I manage to occupy all their lands, even if the Ottomans are currently in control of most of my and even my capital?

My navy is good and maybe it can prevent the Ottomans (who never seem to bother sailing all the way around Africa to get their navies to the far east) and their other allies to come help then (none of then ever came, in my tries), but the war score goes down fast when Im losing one province after the other to the Ottomans at home.

Is this a lost war? Maybe I should just try to yield it with few losses, giving up those provinces to Pasai? But they never accept my deals. Im ok with losing those provinces to Pasai, but Im afraid that, if I lose with a -100% warscore, the Ottomans will also take some for then and that would be very bad, since I would probably never be able to recover then.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pellisworth posted:

Speaking of, anyone have any tips for getting a Knights game off the ground? They have great NIs and monastic orders are fun now with Devoutness and the new succession mechanics, but it's always seemed a tough start.

Edit: I'm going to guess it involves restarting until Venice and Austria are bffs, allying Venice, then lots of prayer.

Since you're in such a crappy position to fabricate claims on you may have to declare a few wars without a CB on the vulnerable targets in the Mediterranean. Byzantium, Urbino, Theodoro, or Ragusa are all good targets to snag early on as a continental base of power.

• Locked thread