Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Trust me, I had that all sorted out years back when I almost did accidentally sort of as the catalyst for the CA515O and I decided there that that no matter how brutal life gets I hate it enough to beat it at its own game.

I have some experience of my own with women you love beyond words dragging you down their own spiral of self-destruction. We should chat sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You guys better make a better season of True Detective than this one, is all I'm saying.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Trust me, I had that all sorted out years back when I almost did accidentally sort of as the catalyst for the CA515O and I decided there that that no matter how brutal life gets I hate it enough to beat it at its own game.

I used to get bouts of depression two or three times a year when I was in my teens to early 20s and that's more or less the conclusion I arrived upon. I used to get out of the bed in the morning by working myself into a rage thinking gently caress everybody else I can't let them win. Thank god I finally leveled out and don't get that poo poo anymore.

Seriously though man, good on you on getting help and keep pushing on. You're loving AI's national treasure. Honestly I was largely indifferent about SA when I bought the account until I found out there was a car section where a guy bought a beetle that was infested with black widows and kept working on it. I don't think I'd be posting here at all if it wasn't for your antics.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You guys better make a better season of True Detective than this one, is all I'm saying.

I can't tell what's worse, vince vaughn's acting or 14 inch's current emotional state. :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Woah there pardner lets not be saying anything we cant take back now :fireman:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably came off as a bit too gay there, tomorrow I'll make up for it by asking about chain drive gearing or something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just saying Vince Vaugn, really? drat dude. drat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's like blue balls in your heart :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, new modem showed up. Hooked it up and it gets sync, and even gets an IP (though oddly it's handing out an external IP, even though the manual says it should have an internal DHCP server - I have a feeling TWC will have to push firmware to it). But since the work order is still open, they can't activate it. :sigh: According to the lights, it's connecting using DOCSIS 3.0, so that's a plus. Can't get into the user interface though, since it seems to be just acting as a pure modem with no DHCP or NAT. I'd like to at least be able to see the signal quality.

My diabetes has done a complete 180 since I quit drinking. Blood sugar will spike up to about 160 after eating, then nosedive into the 50s. :confused: What scared me today is I didn't even feel off at all, just checked it like I normally do before lunch, and "LOW BLOOD SUGAR: 54" popped up on the display. Felt completely fine, only noticed a slight tremor in my hands when I looked for it. I think I may need to have my doctor reduce my dosage of Metformin. Blood pressure is downright reasonable too now.

Coming up on 2 weeks of sobriety (Wednesday afternoon). Just got the ambulance bill, holy mother of god they are proud of those things, a lot prouder than I remember. Thankfully the city has an online portal where you can enter your insurance info, so hopefully I won't get dinged nearly as bad. And I've hit my out of pocket for the year, so the IOP isn't costing me anything. Downside is insurance has only approved 18 visits, when it's a 24 visit program.

Tusen Takk posted:

I suspect that it's just the clutch not engaging or something, but with my luck it's probably dead :rip:

Like I said, jump the low pressure switch. I bet it'll engage. If the compressor was seized, the engine would die or the belt would die in a blaze of smokey glory when the compressor tried to engage.

Then you get to play find the leak. Then play "replace the condenser" if you've opened it for more than a split second schrader valve replacement, since the receiver/dryer are built into it on Deltas. :argh:

32C is downright comfortable. :colbert:

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I've actually been keeping regular visits with my therapist and back on my mood stabiliser meds because I was starting to spiral back into my bipolar. I was officially diag osed as type 1 with mixed feature hypomania if I'm remembering the full litany correctly shortly after the Lowered Expectations saga came to a close ending in my 3 day involuntary vacation courtesy of the state of California. Then came the 8 weeks of 8 hour a day IOP focusing on CBT/DBT behavior modification as required by my work as a condition of my return, and then a few years of balancing therapy with medication until I had taught myself the coping mechanisms to handle life with Bipolar disorder without the requirements for medication. But somewhere along the way I noticed the symptoms somehow coming back and preemptively got in contact with my psych to continue balancing and adjusting meds enough to keep me able to go to work without crashing a customers truck into a wall intentionally and chasing my coworker down the street with a 4 pound ball peen hammer.

Good man. I'm currently in IOP myself, though for different reasons. At times I hate it, but I'm learning a lot, particularly coping skills.

I got a 3 day vacation courtesy of the state of Texas several years ago. Can't say I was a fan, especially when they tried to ship me halfway across the state the day I was supposed to be released.

I'm on enough meds that I rattle like a pill bottle when I get laid, but only one of them is a psych med (for now).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Welp, new modem showed up. Hooked it up and it gets sync, and even gets an IP (though oddly it's handing out an external IP, even though the manual says it should have an internal DHCP server - I have a feeling TWC will have to push firmware to it). But since the work order is still open, they can't activate it. :sigh: According to the lights, it's connecting using DOCSIS 3.0, so that's a plus. Can't get into the user interface though, since it seems to be just acting as a pure modem with no DHCP or NAT. I'd like to at least be able to see the signal quality.

Does sound like it's put itself into bridged mode, which is kind of weird, since it should probably not default to that.

Might be worth doing a factory reset just in case it's been left in bridge for some reason.

If it's anything like the Netgear/Motorola/Arris modems it'll still have a web interface when in bridged mode, you just have to visit a weird IP - for the Netgears I'm most familiar with it's 192.168.100.1. You don't get much in the way of settings, but it ought to give you connection stats.

If you can't find out what the IP is, try booting it up without the coax connected (so it can't get online) and it should revert to handing out internal IPs with its own IP as gateway, which should let you jump into the webUI.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

First car payment. Feels good man. :smithicide:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
14 inch, hang in there, man.

The hardest step is to get rid of self loathing. What you said about shreds of dignity and so on? gently caress that. You are who you are. You still love someone? Nothing wrong with that. The thing you should be focusing on is improving your ability to cope, not beating yourself up over having certain feelings. People who to you to just move on? Ignore them, those people have never had to move on from something truly difficult. That poo poo stays with you, but it doesn't mean you can't be happy. It just means that trying to be happy by getting rid of it is never going to happen, because it's not the way to go.

When I was having suicidal thoughts of 80 percent of a day, every single day for four years, the turning point was changing my mindset from "I'm a fuckup and I hate who I am, why am I such a worthless fuckup?" to "This is who I am, and that's ok. That over there is the person that I would prefer to be. How do I get from A to B, and how many years will it take?".

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just bought window tint and a set of KDM badges. :krad:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Like I said, jump the low pressure switch. I bet it'll engage. If the compressor was seized, the engine would die or the belt would die in a blaze of smokey glory when the compressor tried to engage.

Then you get to play find the leak. Then play "replace the condenser" if you've opened it for more than a split second schrader valve replacement, since the receiver/dryer are built into it on Deltas. :argh:

32C is downright comfortable. :colbert:

oh

poo poo i totally missed that

gently caress me i hope its not the condenser

where is the low pressure switch and what do you mean by jump? I jumped the relay for the compressor in the black box but I didn't notice a separate relay for a low pressure thingo. But yeah I reckon that you're right about the compressor not actually being dead (thanks b 2 god)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, Roadkill has a paywall now. Videos get released behind it, and then move to YouTube a month later.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
"Oh, I'm pretty behind on the chat thread. I wonder wha-" :stare:

Hang in there, 14". We're all pulling for ya.

On a different note, I'm thinking of trading the Mustang in on a Miata. Does this seem like a wise decision for someone who's 6'1" on a good day?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tommychu posted:

Welp, Roadkill has a paywall now. Videos get released behind it, and then move to YouTube a month later.

I've no doubt someone will upload them to another video site on the day...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The current season is growing on me a little, I won't judge it until I've seen it all.

I do miss Rusty though, finally a fellow nihilist on the TV and only for a season :smith:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Holy poo poo 14 inch, hang in there trooper. its great that you are getting help, and after that relationship you describe i think everyone with a soul would need some mending.

the moving truck was two hours late, so my wife chased me out on a bike ride, holy gently caress im in bad shape after being of the bike for two weeks. the hills where brutal today.

in other news. i think me and the wife is swaying away from only having electrical cars for transportation. the plan was to swap her car for a leaf but today she announced that she wants us to get a pickup truck as a second (maybe third) car. we have dealt with not having a car to put poo poo in to use my "company car" but for tax reasons and us being a small start up mixing economies is a bad idea. And my father have told us that he wants us to use the cabin more, since we are the only part of the family interested in taking it over. she is the economics boss and she has given me the frame of 275k NOK to get a newish truck. We have done pretty great with real estate lately. the two units we sold went way over what we expected and our old house also sold at a good price. if someone offers a decent price for "her car" i trade it in, if not we become a three car household.

currently thinking of hilux, vw amarok and ford ranger, the pick up market in norway is pretty slim. i should probably look at the nissan truck aswell

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

rndmnmbr posted:

I have some experience of my own with women you love beyond words dragging you down their own spiral of self-destruction. We should chat sometime.

"Woman trying to drag you down into self-destruction" party right here. I've got some awesome ways of dealing with it, and even just reflecting with someone about the issue works well too stop bullshit thoughts. 14 INCH SLIT I know what you're going through.

It's way too private and I've put my personal identifiers out on this forum way too much to talk about it here, but if anyone wants to make a group or something I'm all for it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CornHolio posted:

The current season is growing on me a little, I won't judge it until I've seen it all.

I do miss Rusty though, finally a fellow nihilist on the TV and only for a season :smith:

It straddles the line between good and hilariously comical. Every episode I watch I just sit there muttering to myself that I could be watching Chinatown instead.

Colin Farrell just phoning it in whenever he is in a scene with that kid is comedy gold though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

According to the original press release, motortrend on demand is also going to have a bunch of live stuff like the blancpain endurance series, btcc, and aussie v8 supercars.

Might be worth it at $5 for all of that stuff as well, but i can't imagine many people paying 5 bucks a month for a half hour show.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

1500quidporsche posted:

Colin Farrell just phoning it in whenever he is in a scene with that kid is comedy gold though.

I always call that kid the most unfortunate kid in the world. I mean, look at him. A goon if I ever saw one.

And I couldn't stop cracking up at the hooker bus and the WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP creepy music for that whole part.

At least we haven't had a scene at the most depressing bar in the world lately.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"Oh, I'm pretty behind on the chat thread. I wonder wha-" :stare:

Hang in there, 14". We're all pulling for ya.

On a different note, I'm thinking of trading the Mustang in on a Miata. Does this seem like a wise decision for someone who's 6'1" on a good day?

I fit fine in them at that height

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CornHolio posted:

I always call that kid the most unfortunate kid in the world. I mean, look at him. A goon if I ever saw one.

And I couldn't stop cracking up at the hooker bus and the WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP creepy music for that whole part.

At least we haven't had a scene at the most depressing bar in the world lately.

I'm willing to put money on the kid being the son/nephew of one of the producers. I mean just look at him.

I was giggling through the whole third act there. I get what they were going for with that musical score but it just fell flat. Then there was the fact that after all the poo poo she had to go through to get in she just walks out the front door no problem after stabbing some guy to death.

I wish I could drink at that bar :smith:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Finally got approval to travel to Vegas for BlackHat/Defcon (was registered for everything months ago before the company started restricting travel) :toot:

Looks like the Chrysler remote access talk is being done at both conferences so I should have a good shot at seeing it. Not sure if there will be any new information disclosed but it should be entertaining at least.

E: so many vendor dinners and parties. Not going to be a good week for dieting

Galler fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 28, 2015

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

According to the original press release, motortrend on demand is also going to have a bunch of live stuff like the blancpain endurance series, btcc, and aussie v8 supercars.

Might be worth it at $5 for all of that stuff as well, but i can't imagine many people paying 5 bucks a month for a half hour show.

If it's $5 a month and I get to easily watch BTCC and V8 Supercar races I have no problem. Provided I can watch it after it's over, I don't think I've been able to stay awake through an entire Bathurst 1000 yet. I hope they put more money into Roadkill and make them consistently around 45 minutes.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

"Woman trying to drag you down into self-destruction" party right here. I've got some awesome ways of dealing with it, and even just reflecting with someone about the issue works well too stop bullshit thoughts. 14 INCH SLIT I know what you're going through.

It's way too private and I've put my personal identifiers out on this forum way too much to talk about it here, but if anyone wants to make a group or something I'm all for it.

And I make three. After I finally extricated myself from the swirling cesspool of self-doubt she left me in (through a trip to Disneyland with my family, of all things) all I've been able to see when I look back is how bad for me she was.

It's a long road, but a well-travelled one, and I promise it has an end. Stiff upper lip, 13" - You can make it through. poo poo, man, you've been through enough already.

e: ^^^^^^^^
Agreed. At ten bucks a month they'd have no chance, but I'll pay five, especially with V8 SuperCars. And I'm Australian. Our local TV networks don't even show all the V8SC races anymore, our one and only overpriced cable/satellite provider has got exclusive rights to most of them.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hey guys who have quit drinking, can you give me a timeline of symptoms?(normal consumption was at least a 750mL bottle of wine a night, more depending on what mood I'm in) Weekend days I'd go through a whole magnum (1.5L) plus beers

I stopped cold turkey on sunday evening. Monday evening rolls around and I'm a morose motherfucker. My wife is worried, but I stay strong and feel a little better after dinner. I'm still not myself.

This morning I felt a bit more alert than I normally do, but now that it's late morning my head is pounding like a motherfucker. I took three ibuprofen and am chasing it with coffee, which I rarely drink anymore so hopefully that will help. I've had a couple dizzy/disoriented moments but they're over before I know I'm having an issue, maybe half a second.

What else do I have to look forward to? I'm taking this day by day. My wife had a beer last night and it was one of the hardest things to not think about the taste and the sensations without the deepest of longing. I think I really do have a problem :smith:

I want to get better and never drink another drop again, but part of me wonders how much of my personality is the booze? I remember I used to be a really morose and depressive person before the liquor and I'm afraid I'll become him again and drive my wife away. She means everything to me and the thought of losing her is more than I can bear. I need to replace 'sit on couch with TV and liquor' with something constructive after work.:sigh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

currently thinking of hilux, vw amarok and ford ranger, the pick up market in norway is pretty slim. i should probably look at the nissan truck aswell

What about imports? You're a man of the world; it's time for you to sample the garden of international delights that is American trucks.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

Hey guys who have quit drinking, can you give me a timeline of symptoms?(normal consumption was at least a 750mL bottle of wine a night, more depending on what mood I'm in) Weekend days I'd go through a whole magnum (1.5L) plus beers

I stopped cold turkey on sunday evening. Monday evening rolls around and I'm a morose motherfucker. My wife is worried, but I stay strong and feel a little better after dinner. I'm still not myself.

This morning I felt a bit more alert than I normally do, but now that it's late morning my head is pounding like a motherfucker. I took three ibuprofen and am chasing it with coffee, which I rarely drink anymore so hopefully that will help. I've had a couple dizzy/disoriented moments but they're over before I know I'm having an issue, maybe half a second.

What else do I have to look forward to? I'm taking this day by day. My wife had a beer last night and it was one of the hardest things to not think about the taste and the sensations without the deepest of longing. I think I really do have a problem :smith:

I want to get better and never drink another drop again, but part of me wonders how much of my personality is the booze? I remember I used to be a really morose and depressive person before the liquor and I'm afraid I'll become him again and drive my wife away. She means everything to me and the thought of losing her is more than I can bear. I need to replace 'sit on couch with TV and liquor' with something constructive after work.:sigh:
Have you expressed the personality concerns to your wife? How does she feel about your decision to kick the sauce? You mentioned worried, but I wonder why she is worried; if it's for your health or maybe she will have to also stop drinking to support you and doesn't want to do that?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thinking about buying a truck, but New Mexico requires that vehicles in Bernalillo County must be smog-tested every two years... UNLESS they are over 35 years old.

I like old trucks :getin:

(is it just me, or do old pickups seem to just keep going better than old cars?)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
e: nm

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 28, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

scuz posted:

Have you expressed the personality concerns to your wife? How does she feel about your decision to kick the sauce? You mentioned worried, but I wonder why she is worried; if it's for your health or maybe she will have to also stop drinking to support you and doesn't want to do that?

She doesn't like how I become when I'm drunk. I've been pretty much perpetually boozing once I get home for the last five years now, so it's kindof hard to figure out who I'm going to be if I'm not buzzed from 5-8pm every night. I think she'll stop with me if I ask her. I'll have a talk with her tonight so see what she thinks. I think the poo poo is killing me and making me look like rear end.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I turn around for 30 seconds and find a 10 year old on top of my 8' ladder. Little poo poo.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I hope you kicked that ladder right out from under that little girl.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

No but my boss yelled at me for letting him climb up there. Next time I'll power bomb the brat.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

BloodBag posted:

I remember I used to be a really morose and depressive person before the liquor and I'm afraid I'll become him again and drive my wife away.

It sounds to me like you were self-medicating a mental health problem with booze. Even laying this out in front of a doctor can get you started on the path to fixing the reasons you want to drink in the first place.

e. I find myself going on and on about mental health these days. But if I hadn't pawned my gun I'd have died on the fourth of July. I walked into a sliding-scale mental health clinic on the fifth. I'm only a couple of weeks into a Lexapro prescription, and I've seen a therapist twice so far, but goddamn it feels good to lay down to sleep and nod right off, instead of laying awake half the night praying that I wouldn't wake up in the morning.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

She doesn't like how I become when I'm drunk. I've been pretty much perpetually boozing once I get home for the last five years now, so it's kindof hard to figure out who I'm going to be if I'm not buzzed from 5-8pm every night. I think she'll stop with me if I ask her. I'll have a talk with her tonight so see what she thinks. I think the poo poo is killing me and making me look like rear end.
Sounds like she's worried for your health, which is good! Support is good, and it's up to you whether you think you'll be able to dry-out if she's still drinking around you. Try an AA meeting. Start cooking! Hit the weights! Play video games! Play an instrument! Learn sandcasting!

As for symptoms, it seems like they peak around day 5. If you're really struggling with shakes and sweats and that, go see a doc. They'll be happy to help (or at least they should be), and there are meds that'll make the experience more bearable. The most important thing to remember is that you're affecting positive change in your life, and that poo poo takes pain and time and hard work.

rndmnmbr posted:

It sounds to me like you were self-medicating a mental health problem with booze. Even laying this out in front of a doctor can get you started on the path to fixing the reasons you want to drink in the first place.
That's how I"m looking at this, too. Booze is a cheap and easy medication, but it's 100% the wrong medication every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Anybody looking for a supercharged 3800?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/5131305889.html

I don't think that would work in my heavy truck but it's tempting! Would a supercharged v6 that made 200hp/230tq get better mpg than a sbc 350 making similar numbers? The 3800's are supposed to be pretty bulletproof, right?

• Locked thread