Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Why is Lineage 1 so popular in Asia I don't understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Space Bat posted:

Why is Lineage 1 so popular in Asia I don't understand

its like counterstrike, nobody understands

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Kelp Plankton posted:

its like counterstrike, nobody understands

There is still people "playing" second life.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there are people still "playing" wildstar

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Babe Magnet posted:

there are people still "playing" wildstar

That's not true, that's impossible

Minsky
May 23, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hILCb0H1s8

Please watch this 5-man dungeon boss with the sound on. This is wildstar.mpg

If I remember correctly I (and everybody else that wanted to get attuned) "beat" this boss by standing the whole fight on a little ledge near the outer wall that avoided every single mechanic in the fight, which I think is the true wildstar.mpg.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I think another good candidate for wildstar.mpg is your average Sanctuary of the Swordmaiden silver medal dungeon runthrough video (time limit: 75 minutes), also another requirement to be attuned, that is each at least an hour long.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Minsky posted:

I think another good candidate for wildstar.mpg is your average Sanctuary of the Swordmaiden silver medal dungeon runthrough video (time limit: 75 minutes), also another requirement to be attuned, that is each at least an hour long.

Swordmaidens was awful but you just gritted your teeth, sat down and did it. It wasn't really hard, it was just super long so learning all the bosses well enough to never, ever die took some time. If you got through the fire boss halfway through without loving up too bad, you were probably done- the final boss is pure execution with literal spotlights showing you where to go. It's ironically the only decent 5-man boss in the game. We completed our silver run with just a dps and the tank doing it by ourselves for the second half of the fight. We cleared it more or less right after skullcano. Skullcano was monstrous because we started it right after they patched up some of the ledges and it was like two or three full weeks before people found another one. We beat the boss legitimately once in that time. I don't think anyone has silvered skullcano without a ledge exploit and they probably never will.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 28, 2015

Minsky
May 23, 2001

The problem is that the fire boss is like halfway into the dungeon which is an easy 30 minutes of time wasted if you wipe on it more then a couple times. There's no way anybody can ever convince me that an hour+ -long dungeon, where you can effectively fail and have to restart the whole thing after halfway through, is a good idea of something fun to do.

Edit: clarified something.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 28, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Skullcano was amazing at being terrible. When your player base is saying "if we get that jumping puzzle thing just reset, it's faster" and nobody ever beats the boss without switching terrain, your system sucks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

SumYungGui posted:

Skullcano was amazing at being terrible. When your player base is saying "if we get that jumping puzzle thing just reset, it's faster" and nobody ever beats the boss without switching terrain, your system sucks.

That's kind of the norm for most MMO though, people will figure out the path of least resistance and just run that and even reset when they don't get it. Not to say it's not terrible but it also happens in games that a re a lot better.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Morglon posted:

That's kind of the norm for most MMO though, people will figure out the path of least resistance and just run that and even reset when they don't get it. Not to say it's not terrible but it also happens in games that a re a lot better.

Only in Wildstar "Path of least resistance" was a fancy way of saying "Path that actually works."

Pick the wrong path in malgrave trail and you are on an hour long adventure for it to bug out at the end.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SumYungGui posted:

Not to mention the great bug where the miniboss would just sink halfway into the soil halfway though the fight and end your run.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

One of my main problems with the insane number of speedruns we had to do for attunement is that the loot was just awful. Like if there were a better loot table maybe running Skullcano 100 times would of been slightly more rewarding.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Libluini posted:

Moxie doesn't exist anymore?

The balance has returned, the only place Moxie has truly existed, in Kingdom of Loathing!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

Like if there were a better loot table maybe running Skullcano 100 times would of been slightly more rewarding.

How can there be any circumstances in which a human being could find running an MMO dungeon 100 times "rewarding"?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Only in Wildstar "Path of least resistance" was a fancy way of saying "Path that actually works."

Pick the wrong path in malgrave trail and you are on an hour long adventure for it to bug out at the end.

gently caress that place. "Oh look you're about to get gold after an hour. What's that? Your guide went missing and you didn't find him in time and now you get silver. Wait whats that? He died and now you can't even complete the run. Fantastic hour spent. "

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The official Wildstar forums have been down for half a week now because of some unspecified "security issue", so they've had to resort to posting patch notes and official updates on Reddit

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

The Chairman posted:

The official Wildstar forums have been down for half a week now because of some unspecified "security issue", so they've had to resort to posting patch notes and official updates on Reddit

Due to the security issue, everyone is required to delete and recreate their characters at level 1. No restores are available, cupcakes.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

So, I'm currently making up for lost time with RPGs on my 3ds. I'm playing DeSu: Overclocked and EO:U1 atm and I'm getting EO:U2 at launch. Anybody have any suggestions for more aweome RPGs? PS, I already have the SMT games off the eShop along with EO:IV and a recently arrived copy of SMT: Strange Journey.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

d3lness posted:

So, I'm currently making up for lost time with RPGs on my 3ds. I'm playing DeSu: Overclocked and EO:U1 atm and I'm getting EO:U2 at launch. Anybody have any suggestions for more aweome RPGs? PS, I already have the SMT games off the eShop along with EO:IV and a recently arrived copy of SMT: Strange Journey.

I heard there is a great RPG called Wildstar. Very desu.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
After abandoning this game after 2 days playing it at launch I'm thinking of giving it another go, maybe when free to play hits. Are there any goons guilds still active?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Nah, I like Wildstar, but I hate the dungeon and quest minigame bullshit I have to go through to get my housing stuff.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robutt posted:

After abandoning this game after 2 days playing it at launch I'm thinking of giving it another go, maybe when free to play hits. Are there any goons guilds still active?

Nope.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

At this point it's quesitonable if there even any guilds left.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Goon WildStar guild went up in flames so hot it spawned multiple posts just to talk about MMOs for over a few months.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
You guys remember how Wildstar had a Simon minigame and you could just get an add-on to do it all automatically? That was cool. The add-on I mean.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Bombogenesis posted:

You guys remember how Wildstar had a Simon minigame and you could just get an add-on to do it all automatically? That was cool. The add-on I mean.

The idea of being able to break stuns faster and have to do the simon minigames was fun... until you had to do it 10,000 times. One of the few things Carbine did right was let modders bypass the ever-living gently caress out of that stuff.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You're confusing "let" for "too incompetent to stop".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Chairman posted:

"security issue" aka we cant afford to pay :10bux: a month for dreamhost

Sir Vanderhosen
Feb 18, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Swordmaidens was awful but you just gritted your teeth, sat down and did it. It wasn't really hard, it was just super long so learning all the bosses well enough to never, ever die took some time. If you got through the fire boss halfway through without loving up too bad, you were probably done- the final boss is pure execution with literal spotlights showing you where to go. It's ironically the only decent 5-man boss in the game. We completed our silver run with just a dps and the tank doing it by ourselves for the second half of the fight. We cleared it more or less right after skullcano. Skullcano was monstrous because we started it right after they patched up some of the ledges and it was like two or three full weeks before people found another one. We beat the boss legitimately once in that time. I don't think anyone has silvered skullcano without a ledge exploit and they probably never will.

My group managed to silver it without the exploit but it took us doing nothing but skullcano for three or so weeks. It was pretty terrible and in hindsight I have no idea why we did it. I ended up spending over a month getting attuned and then everyone in my guild quit because they were all sensible people and didn't want to invest all of their time into the running skullcano over and over.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

d3lness posted:

The idea of being able to break stuns faster and have to do the simon minigames was fun... until you had to do it 10,000 times. One of the few things Carbine did right was let modders bypass the ever-living gently caress out of that stuff.

Wait... They make you do that to break free of crowd control early? I can imagine how much fun that would be in PvP modes.

WoW has a Simon minigame, but it's in a daily quest area circa 2007 and not intended to be done in combat.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The stunbreak thing was like like hold W, nothing complicated.

You still used a mod if you were smart since that was always faster than your stupid human brain.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Classic example was that daily quest where you could click the traps to disarm them and it'd take five seconds each...or you could just jump in the trap and the addon would clear that poo poo up in about 100ms.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

My group managed to silver it without the exploit but it took us doing nothing but skullcano for three or so weeks. It was pretty terrible and in hindsight I have no idea why we did it. I ended up spending over a month getting attuned and then everyone in my guild quit because they were all sensible people and didn't want to invest all of their time into the running skullcano over and over.

Yeah I was exaggerating- there was one group of the 5 best players (i.e. not me) in our guild that managed to silver it legitimately during the period when there were no known ledge exploits. We were the next team through and we couldn't even do it with substantial help from the first group. There were individuals in our guild who I don't think could ever do it, including one guy who everyone liked but traveled a lot and was usually playing on hotel internet. The thing about skullcano is, there are some people a guild of friends might want to raid with, who basically are dead most of the time but everyone likes. In WildStar at launch that person just flat couldn't raid, since you need him to live and provide DPS to beat the timer, and even after the change to bronze for attunements, it's a lot harder to drag a person through a 5 man than a 20 man. The raids were stupid hard too, but mordecai redmoon was one of the harder fights in the entire game, it didn't make any sense.

EDIT: Also w/r/t the "path of least resistance", the first ledge exploit was really easy, but the one we cleared it under was really fiddly and hard to find & use. You had to jump, move, and use a gap closer ability in a specifically perfect manner, and a couple classes couldn't do it. It was only the path of least resistance because mordecai redmoon was ridiculously, insanely difficult. The funny part is that even though skullcano was a 45-minute trash slog, the other fights were only bad in a more generalized wildstar sense rather than the very specific way that fight was unbearable. Before they patched the first ledge bug, I was about 60s off from silver with a dungeon finder group because mordecai occupies so much of the dungeon's difficulty that without him, it's totally possible to silver as long as you're not playing with anyone you like.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 29, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The funny part about wildstar 5-mans is that, in a better context (like wow's challenge mode type deal) the question "what is the 5-man equivalent of a heroic raid" is an interesting question, and if it was optional content for players interested in it, wildstar's 5-mans wouldn't have been incredible, but they would have included some really good fights and even been fun. Stripped of the whole "you have to do this with people who don't want this level of difficulty and probably can't handle it just to raid, badly, with your friends" situation (and plus a pause button so people can help their kids when something comes up without losing the time trial), most of those boss fights and some of that trash would have been a fun challenge, with the same learn -> attempt -> beat -> master -> learn something new cycle as high-level raiding. But even if you like heroic raiding in wow, there's this constant cloud hanging over everything because you know your guild is falling apart because of it.

EDIT: And none of this forgives mordecai redmoon, gently caress that fight forever.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think the absolute worst thing in the WoD challenge modes were the 2 wall jumps in everbloom. The upside of those was that they were done during the first pull of the instance so if you lost time to them you only lost 2 minutes at most before you restarted. The other upside is because passenger mounts exist only 1 or 2 people really needed to be able to do the jump at all. About half the people I was doing mythic highmaul with couldn't actually get full golds but at the same time all you got from them was cosmetic items so it was just epenis extending.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

The funny part about wildstar 5-mans is that, in a better context (like wow's challenge mode type deal) the question "what is the 5-man equivalent of a heroic raid" is an interesting question, and if it was optional content for players interested in it, wildstar's 5-mans wouldn't have been incredible, but they would have included some really good fights and even been fun. Stripped of the whole "you have to do this with people who don't want this level of difficulty and probably can't handle it just to raid, badly, with your friends" situation (and plus a pause button so people can help their kids when something comes up without losing the time trial), most of those boss fights and some of that trash would have been a fun challenge, with the same learn -> attempt -> beat -> master -> learn something new cycle as high-level raiding. But even if you like heroic raiding in wow, there's this constant cloud hanging over everything because you know your guild is falling apart because of it.

EDIT: And none of this forgives mordecai redmoon, gently caress that fight forever.

Every single heroic boss was overtuned. The tuning as it was would have been fine for "Challenge mode", and I legitimately enjoyed some of the fights, but requiring it for progression was nonsense.

Sir Vanderhosen
Feb 18, 2011
My problem with Wildstar wasn't even the difficulty. If you want to make a niche soul crushingly difficult themepark MMO, go right ahead. That sort of playstyle even appeals to me, which is why I pushed through the dumb attunement. My issue was that they made the dungeons difficult but screwed up almost everything else. The devs had absolutely no idea how to reward player effort or itemize gear. You could go into veteran Skullcano wipe for 4 hours and eventually finish it. At that point you might think, "I didn't finish in time for silver, but at least I probably got some decent loot to make it easier next time!" but nope. They made the dungeons so that the only meaningful gear came from getting a gold medal. I'm pretty sure gold medals were legitimately impossible. When i stopped playing 3 or 4 months after release, I don't think anyone had gotten gold on skullcano or swordmaiden. Initially, the adventures at least gave decent gear but they of course had to put a stop to that. Then outside of dungeons the only thing to do was the awful daily zones. I ran those every single day and eventually got max rep with them. The reward for max rep? Nothing. It's the first time I've ever seen an MMO give out nothing for 30 days of daily quests.

When you did finally get "good" gear, the itemization was so screwed up that it was useless. Due to the way they distributed stats on looted gear vs crafted gear, stats would always be more optimized on crafted gear. If I recall right, I crafted gear with 100+ assault power on it and that was better than any gear you could get up until the second 40 man. It wasn't even just gear, there weren't any interesting mounts, titles, pets etc. Any of the things people generally try to acquire in a themepark mmo. There was no incentive to really do anything besides the same dungeons over and over to get attuned to run the same raids over and over. All for mediocre gear, so your "power level" never increased and everything stayed difficult. Hardcore.

The way to play Wildstar was hit 50, get enough crafting to make gear (only the bare minimum, max took a full year of crafting daily quests) and then pound your head against a wall forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

My problem with Wildstar wasn't even the difficulty. If you want to make a niche soul crushingly difficult themepark MMO, go right ahead. That sort of playstyle even appeals to me, which is why I pushed through the dumb attunement. My issue was that they made the dungeons difficult but screwed up almost everything else. The devs had absolutely no idea how to reward player effort or itemize gear.

It's been discussed before in this thread, but a lot of design decisions they made to make the game more "hardcore" were not to make the game genuinely challenging; the stuff was time-wasting padding straight out of Everquest 1. Their lead developers don't seem to distinguish between "hard fights" or "tough raid progression" and "literally impossible fights" or "unforgivingly tuned to the point of being punishing". Combined with the huge raid size requirements and anemic rewards for clearing the content, it made for an ugly experience.

Massive time investment to get any traction = / hardcore

• Locked thread