Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Breaking Bad
Luther
Being Human (UK)
Skins (UK)
IT Crowd
Lost
American Horror Story seasons 1 & 2
Him & Her
Six Feet Under
The Mighty Boosh
Thrones
True Detective
Sherlock
Vikings
Masters of Sex
Peaky Blinders
Spartacus
Angel/Buffy/Dollhouse/Firefly
Archer
The Killing (Danish)
The Americans
Girls
BStar Galactica
Agent Carter
The Inbetweeners
Peep Show
Louie
Spaced
X-Files
Supernatural

Top 30 favourite shows in no particular order, not including shows I haven't finished or animated shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
this is the list of the shows i like this list is the list of the shows i like

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I tried watching Six Feet Under in high school and absolutely hated it. I found the stilted emotions of this WASP family just too annoying to deal with. I think I watched the entire first season before I gave up because they were all just such thoroughly unlikable people.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

I tried watching Six Feet Under in high school and absolutely hated it. I found the stilted emotions of this WASP family just too annoying to deal with. I think I watched the entire first season before I gave up because they were all just such thoroughly unlikable people.
they are all poo poo humans, that's basically the show

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have zero interest in shows like that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Tying in with our spacechat last week this is a loving great article about the hypotheses regarding why we haven't heard from any aliens yet.

http://qz.com/452452/where-are-all-the-aliens/

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Asiina posted:

Yeah I have zero interest in shows like that.

You don't like Always Sunny? :ohdear:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

That is unrelated to surgery though. In fact after the surgery the reason they tell you not to drink is because a) alcohol is empty calories and b) because of your newfangled insides you get drunk much, much easier and it's very easy to go from food addiction -> alcoholism if you're not careful.

I don't drink because I have a benign heart condition where alcohol and caffeine make my heart race and it's very uncomfortable.

Ok, I've gotta ask, what surgery did you have?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

What should I do in Edinburgh today?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Google says to go to the national museum of scotland!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm wanting to watch sense 8, I've been hearing all good things about it.

Chuck is ok, I am midway through season 3 or 4 and Ill get back to it eventually.

Never watched Fringe, Six Feet Under, or Sports night.

True detective has been really good this season, I know it might be an unpopular opinion but I've been really enjoying it so far.

Dollhouse is great if you give it a chance and power through the first season, ultimately its worth it.

Dead like me is awesome and you should watch it if you haven't already.

Almost human was, just Ok.

There.

Pig TV Opinions itt.

I have made several people watch Dollhouse and I think it's the most underrated Whedon show. I really loved the first part of Almost Human. I'm a total sucker for cyberpunk and for good shows that are canceled before they have a chance for greatness (see also flash forward)

Whoever asked about where I was in Fringe, I'm on season four and just not enjoying it. I feels like they went back to the monster of the week formula and it's not satisfying like the last couple seasons were. It also lost the charming self aware sense of humor that I loved from the early seasons. It's disappointing to hear that season five wasn't good; I've been telling dude hey it seems like season five has more of an arc.

I also should finish How I Met Your Mother, I quit watching that one somewhere in the second to last season because the characters got really mean out of nowhere.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Ixtlilton posted:

I love Always Sunny :sun:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Fringe made me annoyed, it's a show about a scientific genius written by people with absolutely no scientific knowledge at all; usually I am fine ignoring scientific ignorance or inaccuracies because it's hardly the point of the show and it wasn't written with research scientists as the core viewing demographic but I find it less forgivable when the show is literally about science and they were too lazy to crack open a book or google search poo poo to stop the supposed polymath genius fail at high school syllabus biology.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Max posted:

What should I do in Edinburgh today?

Eat a deep-fried mars bar and drink heavily.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
They put cream and sugar in my coffee and dunkin donuts today I am sooooo bitter (not bitter enough lmao), but seriously im very upset

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

They put cream and sugar in my coffee and dunkin donuts today I am sooooo bitter (not bitter enough lmao), but seriously im very upset

aw poor Jakey P

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
All we have at work is Folgers so I have to drown it in cream and sugar to make it palatable because Folgers sucks rear end

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Puntification posted:

Eat a deep-fried mars bar and drink heavily.

I climbed to Arthur's Seat instead.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

It is basically my most hated show ever. Someone gave me a box set DVD as a gift and I watched a little bit of it, and I have never hated a show faster than that one. It's so awful. There is nothing redeemable about it.

TMMadman posted:

Ok, I've gotta ask, what surgery did you have?

I had a Roux-en-Y! I like to talk about it because I think people really don't and there are a lot of misconceptions about gastric bypass type surgeries (RnY, sleeve, banding, etc) but a lot goes into it and I think it's nice to educate people about it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

It is basically my most hated show ever. Someone gave me a box set DVD as a gift and I watched a little bit of it, and I have never hated a show faster than that one. It's so awful. There is nothing redeemable about it.

Wow look at this jabroni

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I need two replacements for Chrononauts

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I had a Roux-en-Y! I like to talk about it because I think people really don't and there are a lot of misconceptions about gastric bypass type surgeries (RnY, sleeve, banding, etc) but a lot goes into it and I think it's nice to educate people about it.

Hey I had a MGB on July 31 2009. So I'm always willing to talk about the surgery and how it's affected me since. So when did you get yours done?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

JakeP posted:

Wow look at this jabroni

Jabroni? Cool word.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Hey I had a MGB on July 31 2009. So I'm always willing to talk about the surgery and how it's affected me since. So when did you get yours done?

Nice! Just last April, so I'm a little over 3 months out. I have my first real followup in a few days and I'm afraid they are going to yell at me because I'm terrible at taking all my calcium. I do have a lot of milk based shakes so hopefully that'll keep the levels up?

I'm in a bit of a stall right now. Haven't lost anything in about a week and a half, but I'm not too concerned about it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
eat bones for calcium

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

JakeP posted:

eat bones for calcium

thank mr jakep

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Puntification posted:

Fringe made me annoyed, it's a show about a scientific genius written by people with absolutely no scientific knowledge at all; usually I am fine ignoring scientific ignorance or inaccuracies because it's hardly the point of the show and it wasn't written with research scientists as the core viewing demographic but I find it less forgivable when the show is literally about science and they were too lazy to crack open a book or google search poo poo to stop the supposed polymath genius fail at high school syllabus biology.

It's not a show about scientific genius. It is a show about an alternate universe where mad scientists are commonplace. When I realized that I was much more forgiving about the bad science stuff -- it doesn't occur in our universe, so scientific laws are different.

I mean if you're gonna be annoyed at a show for their science not being sound when someone is able to share consciousness with a person in a coma by taking LSD and hopping in a sensory deprivation tank within the first few episodes, you are really really not watching the right show.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Nice! Just last April, so I'm a little over 3 months out. I have my first real followup in a few days and I'm afraid they are going to yell at me because I'm terrible at taking all my calcium. I do have a lot of milk based shakes so hopefully that'll keep the levels up?

I'm in a bit of a stall right now. Haven't lost anything in about a week and a half, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Yeah don't worry too much about stalls, especially just three months out. The first 6 months or so after the surgery tend to be streaky as your body gets used to the the surgery. So you'll go a week or so without losing anything and then the next week you'll drop like 8 pounds and you'll be wondering if you've a tapeworm somehow got implanted into you. Between 6-12 months the weight loss will be slower but it should still happen steadily.

The real issue is when you you get a few years out from the surgery. At that point you've generally figured out what foods make you sick and what foods you can deal with and then you start eating a little more of the foods you can eat. Then maybe you try something that used to make you sick right after the surgery and find it doesn't affect you in the same way anymore and that's good but it's also a high calorie food and that's bad. So it gets to be a slippery slope. However, in the end it feels more like a 'normal' person who is constantly fighting those 10-20 pounds of 'vanity' weight rather than fighting a virtual mountain of extra weight so the challenge isn't as daunting. I actually need to drop around 20 pounds right now as I've gotten lazy after finishing a triathlon earlier this year. I've only gained about 7-8 pounds since then, some was weight I was carrying before it.

I was horrible about doing my own followups, but you should be diligent because there are issues that can crop up.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I need two replacements guys, for chrononauts, a game.

I just need people who will actually read the OP though.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Yeah don't worry too much about stalls, especially just three months out. The first 6 months or so after the surgery tend to be streaky as your body gets used to the the surgery. So you'll go a week or so without losing anything and then the next week you'll drop like 8 pounds and you'll be wondering if you've a tapeworm somehow got implanted into you. Between 6-12 months the weight loss will be slower but it should still happen steadily.

The real issue is when you you get a few years out from the surgery. At that point you've generally figured out what foods make you sick and what foods you can deal with and then you start eating a little more of the foods you can eat. Then maybe you try something that used to make you sick right after the surgery and find it doesn't affect you in the same way anymore and that's good but it's also a high calorie food and that's bad. So it gets to be a slippery slope. However, in the end it feels more like a 'normal' person who is constantly fighting those 10-20 pounds of 'vanity' weight rather than fighting a virtual mountain of extra weight so the challenge isn't as daunting. I actually need to drop around 20 pounds right now as I've gotten lazy after finishing a triathlon earlier this year. I've only gained about 7-8 pounds since then, some was weight I was carrying before it.

I was horrible about doing my own followups, but you should be diligent because there are issues that can crop up.

I know a woman who had this surgery and every time I see her she has a giant rear end frappuccino and constantly complains about how she's not losing weight like she's supposed to.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

CapitalistPig posted:

I need two replacements guys, for chrononauts, a game.

I just need people who will actually read the OP though.

Not many mafia players qualify for that second sentence...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
paper towns screwed my movie theater. drat you sappy hipsters, you failed me!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Look Under The Rock posted:

I know a woman who had this surgery and every time I see her she has a giant rear end frappuccino and constantly complains about how she's not losing weight like she's supposed to.

Yep that certainly happens and it's certainly why I've gained weight back. Not from Frappuccino but from cookies/candy/soda. Old habits really do die hard and sometimes they come back. My sweet tooth demands satisfaction!

The nice thing is that once you realize and correct the bad action, the weight loss should happen fairly easily. It's just that correcting the action can be hard to do.

Weight loss surgery isn't a miracle cure, it just makes it easier (in some aspects, in others it's more difficult) to lose the weight.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Part of the reason I talk about it so freely is because I think some people think it's an easy way out, and I want to explain there is a whole bunch of bullshit that goes along with it.

My issue is that I do not get dumping syndrome. Ever. I was kinda hoping it would help me find those things I couldn't handle, but everything goes through just fine. I get foamies once in a while, but that's not related to food as much as I didn't chew enough. So now it's just all up to willpower because there's nothing physical to say THIS IS BAD FOOD DO NOT EAT!

Also drinking after eating is still a huge pain in the rear end and I have to set a timer for 40 minutes every single time to remind me.

I've actually found sugar alternatives so very easy to find, so sweet things aren't a problem for me. I love sweet stuff, but between fruit and torani sugar-free syrups and things like sugar twin I'm able to get all the sweet I can want without any of the calories.

What totally wrecks me and makes me crave it so bad are carbs. Rice and pasta and bread are so hard to give up. I've had a little rice and it's gone fine, but I think I need to cut it all together because I can already see the beginnings of that little bit turning into a little bit more turning into a little bit more. I think I do fine with potatoes once in a while, but I think that is where my biggest weak spot is.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Does anyone here like Risk and/or want to play a game of WarLight right now, right this minute?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
no but you should replace into pig's game and refuse to read the OP much to his chagrin

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

The last time I tried to play forum Mafia I flaked.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Peta posted:

The last time I tried to play forum Mafia I flaked.

It was a whole game based on you and you wouldn't even play it out :argh:

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I felt bad. But at the same time, I didn't really care!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Do you still have that weirdo following you around the forums