Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, I got Mystic Knight, Ranger, Samurai and Dancer in my Chaos run. The first two spell victory anyway, Samurai just adds to that even more and Dancer is boring as poo poo, also I had Samurai and Dancer before, so gently caress it. I job fair'd the last two into Blue Mage and Bard because might as well have fun, buuut it apparently didn't get processed correctly (or I did something wrong). Who do I message again (on twitter or otherwise)? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Run #9 - Beast Master - Geomancer - Dragoon - Dragoon.

I'm not sure how I feel about this... At least I should be able to get a triple crown.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I neglected to actually snap a picture, but over the weekend at Otakon I saw someone cosplaying as a Berserker from this game, complete with #BERSERKERRISK sign.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

So, I got Mystic Knight, Ranger, Samurai and Dancer in my Chaos run. The first two spell victory anyway, Samurai just adds to that even more and Dancer is boring as poo poo, also I had Samurai and Dancer before, so gently caress it. I job fair'd the last two into Blue Mage and Bard because might as well have fun, buuut it apparently didn't get processed correctly (or I did something wrong). Who do I message again (on twitter or otherwise)? Thanks!

Shoot a message to @revenantkioku. I had the same problem with the Job Fair and he fixed it in a few hours after he got the DM.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

You should be able to break a Poison Rod on your teammates, yes.

Sorry for pestering but...I can't seem to target my own team when choosing to use the poison rod on Android. It is just simply click it and then click my teamate/self no?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Herux posted:

Sorry for pestering but...I can't seem to target my own team when choosing to use the poison rod on Android. It is just simply click it and then click my teamate/self no?

Should be. Haven't played the mobile versions so I can't say for sure.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Looks like that is a no go...do I have another option for an omega kill? chem/nin/time/blue

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I neglected to actually snap a picture, but over the weekend at Otakon I saw someone cosplaying as a Berserker from this game, complete with #BERSERKERRISK sign.

She's a friend of mine! She and a couple of my other friends even did an FF5 group on Saturday - Time Mage Lenna, Thief Bartz, and Dancer Bartz (yes, two Bartzes, deal with it. :P) The Dancer was doing enough costumes this weekend he was only in it long enough for a few group pics in the morning, but I got a picture of the other two.

Sadly I'd already settled pretty solidly on two other costumes before she invited me, I'd've gladly been some Faris with them. :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
When a bunch of us are old men we should all go as Galuf.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Herux posted:

Looks like that is a no go...do I have another option for an omega kill? chem/nin/time/blue

Considering that a single Chemist can solo Omega, four people with !Mix should be able to handle it with extra room for redundancy. Especially when you add Quick into the mix.

Basically you buff the poo poo out of yourselves to nerf one after another of his dangerous options, then kiss him to death if you have no better offensive option.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Vil posted:

Considering that a single Chemist can solo Omega, four people with !Mix should be able to handle it with extra room for redundancy. Especially when you add Quick into the mix.

Basically you buff the poo poo out of yourselves to nerf one after another of his dangerous options, then kiss him to death if you have no better offensive option.

IF he is heavy(which i think he is) he is immune to Kiss on mobile (the sadness)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

ArashiKurobara posted:

She's a friend of mine! She and a couple of my other friends even did an FF5 group on Saturday - Time Mage Lenna, Thief Bartz, and Dancer Bartz (yes, two Bartzes, deal with it. :P) The Dancer was doing enough costumes this weekend he was only in it long enough for a few group pics in the morning, but I got a picture of the other two.

Sadly I'd already settled pretty solidly on two other costumes before she invited me, I'd've gladly been some Faris with them. :(

When I was with them, we asked one of the staff if we should register the chicken knife with ops as a weapon. They yelled at us. :rip:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

The issue is, Succubus Kiss actually is susceptible to spell hit on mobile, so you'd have to use like... lightning scrolls? I guess?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking of Succubus Kiss.

Also, every time I see mention of some quirk specific to mobile it seems to be anti-fun, even setting aside the terrible character sprites. :(

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

The issue is, Succubus Kiss actually is susceptible to spell hit on mobile, so you'd have to use like... lightning scrolls? I guess?

Is there some Goblin Punch nonsense he can do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Is there some Goblin Punch nonsense he can do?

Yeah, if you fix yourself to some level that ends in 9 (29, 39, etc.) and Dragon Power/Samson's Might yourself to level 119, Goblin Punch will pierce defense and I think auto-hit? Maaaaaaybe worthwhile???

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, if you fix yourself to some level that ends in 9 (29, 39, etc.) and Dragon Power/Samson's Might yourself to level 119, Goblin Punch will pierce defense and I think auto-hit? Maaaaaaybe worthwhile???

I want the triple! Will level up to 49 and return with my results!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Herux posted:

I want the triple! Will level up to 49 and return with my results!

For reference, here's Kyrosiris's post on mixing your way to success: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447439710&forumid=44

When I did it (also on the mobile version) I found it easier to focus on getting two people hasted and Dragon Kissed and then buff them all the way up. It felt safer to have two people in case a mustard bomb goes badly, as I was in the level range where it could conceivably kill someone even with double HP. Although you'll be much higher level than that if you need to get to 49. Either way, just don't hit him until you're ready for counters. There is one bonus to Omega on mobile: I think someone said before that Wave Cannon never misses in the original versions, but it definitely misses sometimes on mobile. I don't think it can be blocked or anything, but it does miss occasionally, which is very welcome.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
On my fourth. No750 this time.

Knight/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon.

Just past the Ruins. Just now got Dragoon but will probably buy another job, because Dragoon doesn't seem too interesting. Still want to stick with no750 jobs though.

I was going to buy a Mimic, but as far as I know it would be pretty useless since you don't really need to mimic "attack a lot of times." I could buy Mystic Knight if I wanted to make the rest of the game pretty trivial. Maybe Beastmaster, since I've never used it before and it seems like it introduces an interesting playstyle.

Any suggestions for changing things up? I've already won three times, so I don't exactly need or want smooth sailing this time..

Pi Soup
Oct 12, 2008
Wooo, finally beat this game for the first time ever! I know I played it when the anthology was released on PSX, but don't think I beat it.
Is Mega64 still donating dollars? Cuz I've got another Fartz for the pile.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hit the max donation I set before the first week was over, but more Fartzes are always welcome!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Wooo! I finally beat (and triple crowned) my first Fiesta Run!

(Sorry, I was too slow to screenshot Shinryu's death)

The superbosses were pretty for my team. Omega did require me to pay attention to the ATB ticks a bit more than most fights, but stunlocking it with !Calm while my Berserker goes to town was easy enough.

Shinryu, who was even easier, just needed a Berserk so that it can only OHKO only one member of my party. Basically, my Samurai/Thief were my resurrectors while my Beastmaster did most of the heavy lifting damage wise with the Dragon Whisker. My Zerker did help too with damage :downs:

But this guy... he was a real pain for a while. Initially, I tried to rush it down by releasing 3 Dragon Aevii and blitzing down the Almagest part of NED, but it was futile. Almagest did like 1600 damage, and it more or less wiped my entire party aside from my zerker. After desperately trying to find a way to beat this thing and not get Almagest'd to death, I've decided to try to !Catch a Crystelle for it's Mighty Guard. However, with its 3 HP, I knew it wasn't gonna be easy. Eventually, I did manage to catch one of those crystal bastards using a very specific method involving using !Control so the Crystelle can cast Protect, and attack it so it's low enough to !Catch it.

And holy gently caress Mighty Guard made such a huge difference compared to my other attempts to the point where I beat it on my first try (along with getting those lucky Aegis Shield Procs).

Shout outs to Krile for stealing a bunch of useful poo poo.

Shout outs to Faris for throwing money.

Shout outs to Lenna for being the greatest Pokemon Master in the world.

AAaaaaand shout outs to the zerker for hitting things. You were a liability at multiple points during my run, but despite that, you hit hard. And that's all I need from you.

Lastly, special shout outs to the #ffvfiesta IRC room for helping me out through this run. I'd still be stuck in a rut if it weren't for you guys. Since I've had such a fun time with this fiesta run, I think I'll try to do another one tomorrow. This time, it'll be a Chaos Run!

Chalax
Jun 16, 2009
I still need to finish my first run, but that's only because I hit a roadblock before I got to the earth crystal. I've got Monk, Berzerker, and Trainer as my first 3 classes, but I'm stuck at the boss on the airship with the freaking laser cannon. Anyone have a suggestion on what I might capture to kill it like i did with the boss in the library? Or should I just suck it up and grind levels again to get to the point where I can just punch it to death?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

blinking beacon nose posted:

On my fourth. No750 this time.

Knight/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon.

Just past the Ruins. Just now got Dragoon but will probably buy another job, because Dragoon doesn't seem too interesting. Still want to stick with no750 jobs though.

I was going to buy a Mimic, but as far as I know it would be pretty useless since you don't really need to mimic "attack a lot of times." I could buy Mystic Knight if I wanted to make the rest of the game pretty trivial. Maybe Beastmaster, since I've never used it before and it seems like it introduces an interesting playstyle.

Any suggestions for changing things up? I've already won three times, so I don't exactly need or want smooth sailing this time..

I would suggest either Beastmaster because it's interesting or Thief for Genji gear.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I finished my fourth run with Team Alpha Strike (Black/Red/Ranger/Samurai). I've never had a team that could windshield through most Rift encounters, holding down A and kill everything before the monsters even got a turn, even after I stopped using !Iainuki. Anything without a physical counter was dead dead dead.

Friendly local Moss Fungus giving me directions to the castle.

That said, I still managed to wipe out on NED the first time by catching a full-spread Meteor as TED's parting gift, and then being bad at FF5 by queuing up a double full-party Cura AFTER a carbuncle magic lamp call, right before eating an almagest.

Not sure if I will register again. Maybe just one more.. #regChaos gives me Time/Geo/Samurai/Dragoon. Okay fine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Run 10/Triple Crown 9, Time/Bard/Dragoon/Dancer (O, S, N)

I am starting to get really tired of Bards. Yes, I know they are a free guaranteed Triple Crown. Yes, I know Romeo's Ballad is the most busted-rear end poo poo this side of Mix. Just, augh. World 2 is such a slog.

Also gently caress Dragoon.

Jitterbug doing 1500-ish damage at level 99/99 magic was funny as poo poo though, as was Magic Lamp Bahamut doing 9999s across the board.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So, for my current team of ninja, bm, bard and dragoon, what should I shoot for in load outs/skills (gba)?

I'm assuming twin lance / chicken knife for ninja (with... Catch? Do I even need to bother?). Does dual wield work with jump? And I guess dw whips. Probably make the dragoon my (second) singing buff bot for NED I guess.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, depending on how you want to go, you can either sing into the stratosphere (!Sing on the Dragoon/Ninja, Dual Wield on the Beastmaster, whatever on the Bard) or throw dragon aevises at it (so !Catch on everyone but the Beastmaster).

If you go for the former I might snag a Crystelle just in case? But shouldn't be needed.

Also yeah, Dual Wield works just fine with Jump.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

With another run/triple crown down (Time Mage/Ninja/Chemist/Dancer), I think I'll go one more. Chemist is still fun (especially on a class with decent Magic) but getting it up to speed can still be tedious. Ninja, oddly enough, also appreciated having Time Mage around to sling buffs and boost scrolls. Time Mage itself was mostly a vehicle for Magic/rod breaking/status buffs, but it was probably one of my most powerful characters against any boss. (And quickleak!) And Dancer ended up being really mean with Dual Wield and the Chicken Knife, capable of dealing at least 14K without buffs if !Dance rolled in my favor.

Looks like the only jobs I haven't used are Black Mage/White Mage/Red Mage/Samurai, so I'll likely just go for a 750 run and then Job Fair what I need into place.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KataraniSword posted:

Shoot a message to @revenantkioku. I had the same problem with the Job Fair and he fixed it in a few hours after he got the DM.
Sent the tweet, thank you!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Chalax posted:

I still need to finish my first run, but that's only because I hit a roadblock before I got to the earth crystal. I've got Monk, Berzerker, and Trainer as my first 3 classes, but I'm stuck at the boss on the airship with the freaking laser cannon. Anyone have a suggestion on what I might capture to kill it like i did with the boss in the library? Or should I just suck it up and grind levels again to get to the point where I can just punch it to death?

Nothing can one shot it that I know of but if you capture sand bears from the desert and release them once you've killed both launchers they'll each do a good chunk of damage. Don't forget to get the Blitz Whip for one of your beastmasters as well. It's also helpful to note that the wave cannon it uses does 50% of your max hp. So if you keep yourself healed above that it can't outright kill you(though the sap can). Angel rings also help negate the old status that the launchers can cause.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Beat Omega again in my second run and I gotta say that this is an incredibly unfair team for him. !Calm locking him down while !Mix buffs and spellsword Thundaga does the max damage per hit. It would only have been more of a massacre if I had a ranger instead of a blue mage for !rapid fire spellblade.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

"eh, gently caress it, I've gone this far on Chaos, what more can I deal with"

*run 11 is Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai*

:shepface:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

"eh, gently caress it, I've gone this far on Chaos, what more can I deal with"

*run 11 is Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai*

:shepface:

Hey, at least Samurai makes a lot of stuff easier. Time to grind forever and Giltoss everything to death :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Giltoss and Air Knife boosted !Gaia against NED sound like a winner.

But yeah, everything before that will hurt.

Quaelopec
Oct 25, 2009
First time playing this game and decided to participate in the fiesta. Just got to the earth crystal, and my jobs are Knight, Summoner, Ninja and Dragoon. It's been powerful so far, especially when I got Ninja, though I definitely lack in the healing which is making longer battles more difficult. Any advice for this combination or will it still power through everything?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Quaelopec posted:

First time playing this game and decided to participate in the fiesta. Just got to the earth crystal, and my jobs are Knight, Summoner, Ninja and Dragoon. It's been powerful so far, especially when I got Ninja, though I definitely lack in the healing which is making longer battles more difficult. Any advice for this combination or will it still power through everything?

Between Golem and Ramuh/Titan/Syldra you won't need much. Once you get to world 2, Hi-Potions will carry the healing load.

As a bonus, give your Ninja !Summon (as high a level as you have it) and give your Summoner !Throw. The damage of thrown ninja scrolls is based on magic (computed just like a magic spell, actually) and they do huge damage for cheap if you have a good magic score.

Quaelopec
Oct 25, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Between Golem and Ramuh/Titan/Syldra you won't need much. Once you get to world 2, Hi-Potions will carry the healing load.

As a bonus, give your Ninja !Summon (as high a level as you have it) and give your Summoner !Throw. The damage of thrown ninja scrolls is based on magic (computed just like a magic spell, actually) and they do huge damage for cheap if you have a good magic score.

Well that actually makes a lot of sense. So many little things to take in with this game, even with a limited class selection. Thanks for the tip!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's extra good for the summoner, because they can equip a flame/thunder rod to boost the damage even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What do I need to go to as a beastmaster to get float in world one?

• Locked thread