Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Weird pricing announcements. No prices, just comparisons to how cheaper they are than a flagship. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yup, that's the new moto crossed off the list then

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Please do a one more thing and then Moto362.

The 360 is what, two years old at this point?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^ According to Wikipedia, it was available September 5th of last year. So not even a year old; far cry from two!

Hooray for not buying any wireless chargers, I guess? Not that I'm in the market for a new phone any time soon anyway, though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Lack of wireless charging is the only problem I see. If my Z3 breaks I'm probably getting a G or an X Play. I'm definitely done with flagship prices. Such a ripoff.

Edit: no Play in the US, holy poo poo that's dumb. I don't want a 5.7" Quad HD phone, morons. I want 1080p with great battery life.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 28, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Yup, that's the new moto crossed off the list then

Why? Moto X 2014 is awesome, Moto X Style (is that the better one?) has much bigger battery, much better camera, and not much bigger than an S6. Lack of wireless charging is the only annoying thing. Moto X Play might be decent too, huge battery and slightly smaller phone, just not sure about the 615 or whether the camera is the same as the Style. E: But I guess not coming to the US, so no big.

FistEnergy posted:

Edit: no Play in the US, holy poo poo that's dumb. I don't want a 5.7" Quad HD phone, morons. I want 1080p with great battery life.

It really didn't look much bigger than the S6, though I guess we'll see.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently the Moto X Play isn't coming to the US, just the G and the Style.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The camera in the Play is supposed to be the same as the Style (or at least has 21mp like the style)

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I was waiting to see what Moto had to offer and compare it to the Oneplus 2... I'm not a fan of big cellphones but it seems that's the hoop you have to jump through to get good specs nowadays.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Why? Moto X 2014 is awesome

Well, except for the memory management which has apparently plagued Motorola to some degree for at least a few years, so I hear (only had a Moto for ~3 months).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
No wireless charging or USB-C would get it crossed off my li [verge liveblog updates]...$399. ok, maybe not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
$399 for flagship Moto X, niiiice. Though pretty sure that's 16GB. Let's hope 32 is $449?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

^^ According to Wikipedia, it was available September 5th of last year. So not even a year old; far cry from two!

Hooray for not buying any wireless chargers, I guess? Not that I'm in the market for a new phone any time soon anyway, though.

It was announced the previous fall, though, right?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

RVProfootballer posted:

Why? ....... Lack of wireless charging is the only annoying thing.

I honestly would never go back to a phone without it, that's a complete deal breaker

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

RVProfootballer posted:

$399 for flagship Moto X, niiiice. Though pretty sure that's 16GB. Let's hope 32 is $449?

For the Style?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Well, except for the memory management which has apparently plagued Motorola to some degree for at least a few years, so I hear (only had a Moto for ~3 months).

No idea. I had memory leak stuff on both a Nexus 5 and LG G2 on 5.0.x, haven't noticed it on a Moto X 2014 on 5.1.x. I basically never do Maps navigation + streaming music, which seems to be what most people complain about (?), but Chrome/Awful/whatever + streaming music has never been a problem with anything getting dropped from memory.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

For the Style?

That's what they said, $399 for "pure edition" Moto X, and only the Moto X Style, not Play, is coming to the U.S.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It was announced the previous fall, though, right?

March 18th last year. And then released slightly under 6 months later.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

RVProfootballer posted:

No idea. I had memory leak stuff on both a Nexus 5 and LG G2 on 5.0.x, haven't noticed it on a Moto X 2014 on 5.1.x. I basically never do Maps navigation + streaming music, which seems to be what most people complain about (?), but Chrome/Awful/whatever + streaming music has never been a problem with anything getting dropped from memory.

I do navigation + streaming every day on my moto x 2013 with no issues.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

That's what they said, $399 for "pure edition" Moto X, and only the Moto X Style, not Play, is coming to the U.S.

Sounds like the Play will be even cheaper then, no trouble to buy it internationally really. If the camera is the same, that might be my next phone. Still lamenting the lack of Qi. But at least this would be a worthy competitor to my Z3c.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

The case that's problematic for me is podcast + nav; don't stream music much, especially during the summer when I'm not driving to school all the time, but I can try it out. After the 5.1 update, it's a lot better - things are fine until the navigation voice gives a prompt, which causes the podcast to stop. But even that only happens after a few days' uptime. I'll also have to check with Google Maps navigation, as I've been using Waze more frequently recently, and that's how I've encountered the bug.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Without reviews it's hard to say for sure, but the announcement has completely killed any interest I had in the OnePlus 2. The new G and X look like they could be great, the prices are excellent, and Moto's hardware and software are solid.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

FistEnergy posted:

Without reviews it's hard to say for sure, but the announcement has completely killed any interest I had in the OnePlus 2.

How so? I'm still debating between the Style and the Oneplus 2. The only thing I was expecting from MotoX was to be smaller, but since that isn't the case, I might as well go for the fingerprint sensor and (already proven) decent camera.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DemonMage posted:

March 18th last year. And then released slightly under 6 months later.

Really, it feels like it was much earlier. Either way that's over a year since the last reveal. Hopefully, though, they announce it and there's a solid release date. That nonsense of reveal and then "well buy it later sometime whenever we don't know" was stupid. They did something similar with the Moto X this time though, and I hate it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cable posted:

How so? I'm still debating between the Style and the Oneplus 2. The only thing I was expecting from MotoX was to be smaller, but since that isn't the case, I might as well go for the fingerprint sensor and (already proven) decent camera.

The OnePlus One was kind of a trainwreck: bad quality control on the hardware, awful customer service, and buggy software. The one thing it had going for it was it was cheap for flagship specs. You don't have to make all those compromises to get something cheap with flagship specs, though. You could just get a Moto X instead.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

hooah posted:

Yes but that was 7 months after it was announced with some chips the found in a dusty box in the back of one of their warehouses.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

No fingerprint reader. drat.

I only use my Pebble occasionally, so smart lock doesn't do a lot for me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

wooger posted:

You folks seen this Moto X^3 leak:

https://plus.google.com/+hellomotoHK/posts/PQfYPxLm3Br?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome

code:
- 3600+mAh battery
- 5.5" FHD display
- 21MP Main Camera, 5MP front Camera
- Dual SIM version available
- SIM + MicroSD Integration Card Slot
- Android 5.1.1
Battery alone makes me consider it, though he screen is larger than I'd like.

For me the things preventing me buying Motos previously have been:
Launching 6+ months later (in the UK) than the comparable Nexus (which I'd already bought).
Locked bootloader.
No wireless charging.

They lived up to expectations sadly:
No wireless charging - WTF! I have three wireless chargers I'd like to use.
September release in the USA, no news on UK release date. I'll be surprised if it's out before the new Nexus appears.
The mid-tier spec model has the big battery - but isn't being launched in the USA (no news on the UK).
The highest spec model has a ridiculously big screen.

No news on the bootloader yet.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

New MotoX has a TFT LCD instead of AMOLED :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

IuniusBrutus posted:

No fingerprint reader. drat.

Wasn't the Moto X originally designed for a fingerprint reader before Apple hosed everyone over by buying the one company that had ones worth a poo poo at the time? It looks like Samsung figured things out with the S6 though so it's hard to justify buying a flagship now without one.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I wonder how Moto Actions will work without an AMOLED screen (if it'll even work).

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
On the other hand, by the time the MotoX Style is released a Galaxy S6 will sell for around €500, so some people might want go for that one instead (even with the mediocre battery life).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

September release in the USA, no news on UK release date.
The mid-tier spec model has the big battery - but isn't being launched in the USA (no news on the UK).
I was trying to find a live blog that was at the London event, this one looks to have been since they were giving UK pricing at the end:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-watch-motorola-moto-g-2015-launch-live-video-stream-blog-3621018/

They gave the same "G = now, X Play = August, X Style = September" release dates so I think these are worldwide.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

WhyteRyce posted:

This is what worries me. I don't know how they're going to do active notifications without destroying battery life.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Does the Play have the AMOLED?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Kreeblah posted:

This is what worries me. I don't know how they're going to do active notifications without destroying battery life.

All hail the return of the notification LED. :worship:

e: I really like Moto Display, and I'd hate to go back.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 28, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I seriously want a 1+2 just for the dual SIM capability. Any other unlocked Android phones with similar capabilities and that feature? I know one of the Galaxies had it, but I can't think of anything else offhand.

Zenfone 2 has it on all the US models. That's the only one I can think of that's been officially sold in the US. I was really excited for it, but in practice it kind of sucks. The second SIM has no data ability. That means no MMS or any carrier feature that needs any data (digital voicemail, etc.). There's also not many apps that have any support for dual sims so you're stuck with whatever dialer and text messaging app the phone comes with. It also decreases battery life quite a bit so unless your phone has a huge battery it will make lasting all day on a charge difficult.

The new Moto G is interesting. I'm still not sure I'd spend $220 to get worse specs than a $200 Zenfone2, but the IP7 rating, Moto Maker, and smaller size make it interesting at least.

The X's are interesting. I love that they're pushing the lower price points and apparently have good cameras, but 5.7" is too loving huge. Carrying around a 5.5" ZF2 full time has made me realize that I'd like to have a smaller phone next time. I also maintain that QHD resolution is dumb as gently caress. Looking forward to when someone releases a 4k 700 PPI phone next year that is nearly indistinguishable from a 720P screen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Does the Play have the AMOLED?
The display types for the X Play and G were not stated and do not appear on the website, as far as I can see. The X Style is "IPS LCD".

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

All hail the return of the notification LED. :worship:

When the X was first released, I HATED the mere thought of not having a notification LED. Now that I've had Active Display on an X and a Turbo (and, to some degree, a Note 3, although that was a 3rd party app), I can't imagine going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I could probably live with a LED now that I have a Moto 360 but yeah, Moto Display is the bee's knees and I really hope they keep it. Hell, it's the one Moto feature that really makes me want to stick with a Moto device over a Nexus.