Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

QnoisX posted:

Okay, so I'll just bring the tablet bag and get one there then.

A backpack being huge doesn't seem to stop a lot of people from using them all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
A reminder to add your name to the below spreadsheet in addition to the Group me. This spreadsheet has been useful for those trying to reach a specific goon at Gen Con, if you need to contact someone after killing group me because it has murdered your battery, and to quickly check and see who has similar interests and schedule openings to maybe meetup for a game or two quick. I've found it useful in the past at least:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiGU-iR_59KdDR3Z0V0OHlNWjIweUEtNDhCQ0tCOGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Very excited to head out to Indianapolis. Flying out at like 9am on Wednesday morning. Really wondering how the 3 newbies I am bringing are going to like it and react to the whole thing. I just hope I have enough time to see all those I can let alone do all that I want to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We've got two newbies with us this year and I can't wait to see their reaction to everything. I've been trying to get my girlfriend prepared but I don't think there's an easy way to explain "Gencon had more attendance last year than Massillon has population." And have it mean something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm bringing One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which should be a great time with goons and beer.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Len posted:

We've got two newbies with us this year and I can't wait to see their reaction to everything. I've been trying to get my girlfriend prepared but I don't think there's an easy way to explain "Gencon had more attendance last year than Massillon has population." And have it mean something.

Try this: "It's like Black Friday, but it lasts all day for 4 days. No one has shopping carts and the checkout lines are spread out through the entire building."

Edit: Oh, wait. Do you want her to go? Then don't say that.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I've mostly been lurking on GroupMe, but I'm as excited as anyone. Gen Con is almost here!

There's one slot left in my second Costume Fairy Adventures game. You know, if you like costumes. Or fairies. Or adventure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DNA Cowboys posted:

I've mostly been lurking on GroupMe, but I'm as excited as anyone. Gen Con is almost here!

There's one slot left in my second Costume Fairy Adventures game. You know, if you like costumes. Or fairies. Or adventure.

Me and the girlfriend got tickets for the Friday one. I know nothing about the game but she may like it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

Saturday before 4 is good for me if you have space

Got a time preference?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
THIS JUST IN FROM THE FORUMS

An Auction Person posted:

This is all we can communicate now that is in stone. I will update as I am able - maybe set some times for initial RPG or board games once I touch base with a few others. This list does clearly identify Collectibles, TOVA, and Charity.

Live Auction:

Thursday 10am-11pm
10:00 - 11:00 Family Games
11:00 - END TBD

Friday 9am-Midnight-ish
09:00 - 10:00 Family Games
10:00 - 20:00 TBD
20:00 - END Collectibles

Saturday 9am-Midnight-ish
09:00 - 10:00 Family Games
10:00 - 16:00 TBD
16:00 - 19:00 TOVA
19:00 - END Charity Auction
(Ace of Aces Miniatures at 19:00 Auctioned)

There will normally be Euro Games, Wargames, more family games, and lots of RPGS on Thursday
Friday and Saturday will be more of that plus working in any additonal sub-groups of board games (science fiction) or sub groups of RPGs (TSR), CCGs, Miniatures, GW, Train, and anything else prior to TOVA

Again - we cannot go totally on what is pre-registered because some items that are pre-registered may not be dropped off until later on Thursday or even Friday/Saturday. The schedule will develop as we go. This is the best we can provide right now.

So if ye love me, make sure you are free 4-7 on Saturday for the best three hours of Gen-Con.

Kaddish posted:

With regards to registering stuff for the Auction on Wednesday - it says the on-site Auction computers can't be used but laptops/personal computers can be used. Does this mean the site will be up for registration? How does this work exactly?
Uhh. Yeah. All I can say is I think there are some laptops there for last-minute check-in, or at least there were in previous years. You could always use your phone? :haw:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
what does TOVA stand for again? Trash Only Virgins Acquire?

(seriously I don't actually know)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I just setup Groupme, now what do I do? Please explain it like I'm an old man, cuz I kinda am.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I just setup Groupme, now what do I do? Please explain it like I'm an old man, cuz I kinda am.

Pretty sure you just click this link and join. https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sigma-X posted:

what does TOVA stand for again? Trash Only Virgins Acquire?

(seriously I don't actually know)

Toys, Other, Videos, and Art

so, yes. that thing you said.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Got a time preference?

I'll be there by 10 (events for people I'm with start then) so any time after that is good. How long does a game take with some learning? I'm going through the manual like you said but I'm sure it'll still be a bit slower than fully learned people playing.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm gonna get in Wednesday and leave Monday morning; I mainly go for HeroClix but since that's not gonna have night games, my evenings are more free than they've been in the past, so I'm down for anything. I aim to demo as many new games as I can this year, I really want to branch out from clix. I added myself to the spreadsheet and the GroupMe so gimme a buzz, I've been told I'm mostly not a horrible buck toothed monster.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I am going to this Gen Con thing. It's technically my 2nd time but my first was the last Magic Nationals in 2011 so all I did that time was play Magic and drink beer. I'm flying in Thursday midday.

What's the deal with board games if I didn't buy a ticket on the website? If I don't have a ticket for a cool board game will i be limited to what I bring/buy/Catan?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Okay, so I've gone through my games and decided on a few I want to trade or sell at the con. Mostly it's stuff I never get to play with my group or consists of evil dice that hate me with a passion.

X-Com
Galaxy Defenders
King of Tokyo + Power Up expansion
Dead of Winter (sleeved cards)
Space Alert

If you want to trade, I have a small wishlist here: https://boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/qnoisx. I would also consider other games. DoW is seriously the highest rated game I own. Followed by BSG. If you want to go the cash route, I'm fine with that too. All of my games are in great condition. The one I've played the most is King of Tokyo and it's giant plastic dice, so all good. The rest are all in baggies. I did cut the DoW insert a bit so the cards could fit in better with sleeves. I made a small foam core insert for the tokens that fits inside the plastic insert to Galaxy Defenders. Otherwise, everything is like new. If you want pictures, let me know. I'd probably even be cool with bringing the games to the con to let you play it first, but not all at once. Or maybe the hotel lobby? I dunno, it's 5 blocks from the con. Just saying, some of the boxes are pretty heavy!

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Danimo posted:

I am going to this Gen Con thing. It's technically my 2nd time but my first was the last Magic Nationals in 2011 so all I did that time was play Magic and drink beer. I'm flying in Thursday midday.

What's the deal with board games if I didn't buy a ticket on the website? If I don't have a ticket for a cool board game will i be limited to what I bring/buy/Catan?

If ticketed games are sold out then you can get generic tickets and try to get in place of no shows. Otherwise, tough luck. I think most demos run by the company are free, but I could be wrong about that. I know I have a short list of games I want to try out and if I like them I'll probably purchase a copy. If they are only offering sold out ticketed demos and I don't get to try it. That's a lost sale. Hopefully they also have a library of games you can check out like PAX South did, but I dunno. I expect any free demos will have very long lines.

Edit: Join the GroupMe chat and try to get games going that way. I know a bunch of guys are bringing games.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

QnoisX posted:

If ticketed games are sold out then you can get generic tickets and try to get in place of no shows. Otherwise, tough luck. I think most demos run by the company are free, but I could be wrong about that. I know I have a short list of games I want to try out and if I like them I'll probably purchase a copy. If they are only offering sold out ticketed demos and I don't get to try it. That's a lost sale. Hopefully they also have a library of games you can check out like PAX South did, but I dunno. I expect any free demos will have very long lines.

There's this library of games:

quote:

We're Back! We're Bigger! We're Ready! Join us for another year of 'Try before you buy' and general good times in our room filled with over 1800 unique titles to choose from ... or bring your own games from home or new from the Exhibits' Hall.

Ticketed, but most have space, although Sat night is looking nearly full. Guessing generic tickets will be usable space available.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

Toys, Other, Videos, and Art

so, yes. that thing you said.
:mad:

Toys, Oddities, Videos, and Art! !!! !!$*!#$

Not that the other definition is 100% wrong, as this is definitely the area where you are most likely to be like "wait...someone wanted that? AND paid $50 for it???" But there are so many great things every year.

Plus nobody ACTUALLY bid on the $500 bag of coffee from the short-lived 1980s Las Vegas Star Trek hotel or whatever, so clearly there are bridges too far at even T.O.V.A.

OMG IT IS AFTER MIDNIGHT SO I WILL SEE YOU WEIRDOS TOMORROW NIGHT AT COLTS GRILLE NERD TRIVIA! IT STARTS AT 7:00 THIS YEAR ACCORDING TO THE WEBPAGE! MAYBE IT ALWAYS STARTS AT 7; WHO KNOWS?!?! EDIT: THIS JUST IN, I CHECKED MY FIRST POST AND IT TURNS OUT I ALREADY KNEW THIS

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm packing my bags and going over my checklists right now!
GENCON!!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One more day at my lovely job then GENCON and Monday I start a new job. I'm so hyped.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

I'll be there by 10 (events for people I'm with start then) so any time after that is good. How long does a game take with some learning? I'm going through the manual like you said but I'm sure it'll still be a bit slower than fully learned people playing.

Assuming we can get 4 people I'd say 3 hours.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Heading to the airport now, see all of you there. Good luck, hydrate and pace yourself you got a lot of time!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Crackbone posted:

Assuming we can get 4 people I'd say 3 hours.

I'll most likely be game for Argent; at least I know how to play and tend to not AP in that game*

*but slap me if I do.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."
Alright got the GroupMe figured out. This is my first time so I'll either have a blast or come away poor and broken. Either works.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So the problem with the whole "trying to avoid Steak & Shake in the middle of the night" thing here, is that they have half-off milkshakes from 2-5 AM/PM. I mean, c'mon. How could I not? Night 1 in Indy: Fail (success?)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Merauder posted:

So the problem with the whole "trying to avoid Steak & Shake in the middle of the night" thing here, is that they have half-off milkshakes from 2-5 AM/PM. I mean, c'mon. How could I not? Night 1 in Indy: Fail (success?)

Why would this be something you actively try?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I plan on attempting to try out Shapiro's deli in while I'm there this year. My uncle mentioned it last time I saw him when he heard I was going to Indy. I also recommend that everyone go to Nicky Blaine's at least once just for the atmosphere, but it's a bit spendy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've still never been to St. Elmo, going to make an effort to take the time this year.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kaddish posted:

I've still never been to St. Elmo, going to make an effort to take the time this year.

Make a reservation, I've heard they fill up.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

pakman posted:

I plan on attempting to try out Shapiro's deli in while I'm there this year. My uncle mentioned it last time I saw him when he heard I was going to Indy. I also recommend that everyone go to Nicky Blaine's at least once just for the atmosphere, but it's a bit spendy.

Your uncle is a wise man.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I should wander out of the Game Room more often, then i would have seen this. I'm attending gen con this year as well. This will be my fourth time attending the con and as always I'm very excited.

I usually go with my best friend, and we're always looking for board games to play as well as werewolf/other mafia style games, so if any of you plan to spend a lot of down time doing either I'll gladly drag him over for an impromptu goon meet.

Domesticated Ape
Apr 1, 2010

Hear u go????
Last year there was a really great Indian buffet not too far from the convention center, does anyone know if it still exists? Apologies in advance for my upcoming curry farts.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You probably mean India Garden?

Barcelona Tapas next door is also great. The Sunday buffet is fantastic.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Deathlove posted:

Why would this be something you actively try?

There were some posts a few pages back about trying to pick up groceries and avoid eating junk. It was a nice thought...but at the same time, when I can just expense my meals it's easy to indulge. :v:

Domesticated Ape
Apr 1, 2010

Hear u go????

Haystack posted:

You probably mean India Garden?

Barcelona Tapas next door is also great. The Sunday buffet is fantastic.

Just went for a little stroll in google streetview and found it. It's actually Haveli Indian Cuisine which is a much shorter walk from the convention center.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Le Woad posted:

Alright got the GroupMe figured out. This is my first time so I'll either have a blast or come away poor and broken. Either works.
WELCOME FRIEND

It is truly a wonderful tool for our needs.

Merauder posted:

ON-SITE

WE HAVE ONE ON-SITE

LIVE REPORT

LIVE REPORT YOU MONSTER

ARE THERE BANNERS

ATTICA! ATTICA!

POWER TO THE BROTHERS!

KILL WHITEY!!!

I cannot find a clip of that Naked Gun 33 1/3 scene :(

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Shapiro's is not as good as they used to be, but they're still decent. Lots of nice places to eat/drink up on Massachusetts Ave. if you get up that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Quarex posted:

ON-SITE

WE HAVE ONE ON-SITE

LIVE REPORT

LIVE REPORT YOU MONSTER

ARE THERE BANNERS

ATTICA! ATTICA!

POWER TO THE BROTHERS!

KILL WHITEY!!!

I cannot find a clip of that Naked Gun 33 1/3 scene :(

:aaaaa:

I'm an exhibitor so I'm in the sweat lodge they turn the main hall into during setup doing labor stuff. Going to be down 10lbs just from hauling stuff around in this heat.
The hall is, well, pretty much how any con looks during setup. Some banners up, but mostly crates and pallets everywhere still.
There is definitely signage around downtown up though.

• Locked thread