Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I liked it for the record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've been super busy since release and am still near the beginning of the game. After that B89 suit and Batmobile announcement at this point I feel like I should just wait a few weeks to play it as such. Has there been a firm date for it? I'm not a season pass holder but would happily pay a premium to use that sweet, sweet Batmobile.

If I have to use it for a good portion of the game I'd like it to be the coolest version of the car (sorry I'm burnt out as gently caress on tank style batmobiles).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've been super busy since release and am still near the beginning of the game. After that B89 suit and Batmobile announcement at this point I feel like I should just wait a few weeks to play it as such. Has there been a firm date for it? I'm not a season pass holder but would happily pay a premium to use that sweet, sweet Batmobile.

If I have to use it for a good portion of the game I'd like it to be the coolest version of the car (sorry I'm burnt out as gently caress on tank style batmobiles).
It still hasn't been confirmed one way or another whether it's available for the main story, just so you know. (the batmobile skin specifically, that is.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 28, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i thought the tank fight was fine but it definitely could have been structured better, i still dont get why the camera is killing you people

It, and a lot of other sections, wouldn't have been annoying at all if the load times after death weren't so rough. They always take the exact same amount of time, I think they always let you read the story recap rather than just going once all assets are loaded.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The worst thing about the drill fight is getting to hear the Arkham Knight trash talk every few minutes saying "HEH EXPECTED YOU TO PUT UP MORE OF A FIGHT". :smug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

The worst thing about the drill fight is getting to hear the Arkham Knight trash talk every few minutes saying "HEH EXPECTED YOU TO PUT UP MORE OF A FIGHT". :smug:

I ragequit after the fourth time last night. Sudden death followed by a cutscene does not make me happy.

One for the batfans - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/mark-hamill-reportedly-voicing-the-joker-in-the-killing-joke-animated-movie

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hav posted:

I ragequit after the fourth time last night. Sudden death followed by a cutscene does not make me happy.

One for the batfans - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/mark-hamill-reportedly-voicing-the-joker-in-the-killing-joke-animated-movie

They must be offering him truckloads of money at this point because he's been saying for years now that he's done playing Joker and he just keeps coming back.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm left feeling like the dialogue is the only redeeming quality of this game, and even then certain characters get very grating and annoying (Arkham Knight). Nobody liked the batmobile, especially not the tank parts. The melee combat is watered down compared to City, as are the Predator encounters. If they had given us more of the same from Arkham City, we would have been much happier, but it's precisely because this is not more of the same that it falls flat. The only major new mechanic (the batmobile) is largely panned y everyone. They hint at other new features (team ups) but don't really give you enough access to those to really enjoy or explore them.

I 200%'d the game (on PC no less) and I honestly would rather play Origins. For all its faults, it had challenge maps with multiple characters that still give it more replay value than this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

The melee combat is watered down compared to City, as are the Predator encounters.

... What? The melee combat is literally the Arkham City combat with more. :psyduck:

Edit: Like if anything people have been complaining that the melee combat has too many things to keep track of, not that it's watered down. (I don't agree but y'know.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 28, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CuwiKhons posted:

They must be offering him truckloads of money at this point because he's been saying for years now that he's done playing Joker and he just keeps coming back.

Except every time he says he's done, he follows it up with the caveat "Unless they do a Killing Joke movie"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

... What? The melee combat is literally the Arkham City combat with more. :psyduck:

I think he's meaning that in Arkham City you had to be a lot more stealthy and a lot of the areas really were heavily "don't be seen". It certainly didn't feel that way on Arkham Knight. There was few times where being seen even mattered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I think he's meaning that in Arkham City you had to be a lot more stealthy and a lot of the areas really were heavily "don't be seen". It certainly didn't feel that way on Arkham Knight. There was few times where being seen even mattered.

... in melee combat? I really don't think that is what he meant because "don't be seen in melee combat" was never really a thing in Arkham City.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

... in melee combat? I really don't think that is what he meant because "don't be seen in melee combat" was never really a thing in Arkham City.

Maybe I'm just misremembering it then. I do feel like that in Arkham City there was a lot more danger of just ending up dead if you didn't carefully take out goons in a room one by one. Inverted Takedown I used endlessly in City, for example.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ImpAtom is right, this game does add a lot more to the melee-based combat but I contend that there are precisely 0 good additions. None. MAYBE the charging enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe I'm just misremembering it then. I do feel like that in Arkham City there was a lot more danger of just ending up dead if you didn't carefully take out goons in a room one by one. Inverted Takedown I used endlessly in City, for example.

You're absolutely misremembering. Most major melee combat rooms didn't even offer you the chance to pick them off without a straight fight.

CJacobs posted:

ImpAtom is right, this game does add a lot more to the melee-based combat but I contend that there are precisely 0 good additions. None. MAYBE the charging enemies.

Counter-throws, the ability to grab weapons from enemies, environmental takedowns, power gadgets now being manually activatable instead of instantly using up your takedown charge, the dual combat with swapping between characters...

I know people are upset at the game but this is getting absurd.

Edit: just the fact that enemies being in a crumple state no longer means you instantly wiff combo hits is a huge improvement.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 28, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're right what the game definitely needed was more clutter and mechanics instead of refinement of what was already there. More =/= better.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

CJacobs posted:

lol @ this plus all the batmobile hate. DON'T GIVE ME NEW THINGS IN MY NEW GAME. GIVE ME THE OLD GAME I ALREADY OWN AGAIN.

CJacobs posted:

You're right what the game definitely needed was more clutter and mechanics instead of refinement of what was already there. More =/= better.

Yeah but a refined combat system and a car that feels like Burnout: Batman is actually an improvement over the last games, so what about when more better = more better?

E VVV: :hfive:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

... Except most of those are straight-up refinements to the core mechanics.

Like "counter-throw" is just the Critical Strike mechanics extended to counters which is a straight refinement. The power gadgets thing was already in Arkham City, it just now works better.

Arkham Knight has very little in the way of new gadgets not named Batmobile. Almost everything it does is a refinement of the core mechanics not new features.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Like if anything people have been complaining that the melee combat has too many things to keep track of, not that it's watered down. (I don't agree but y'know.)

I think my feeling this way stems from a couple issues. For one thing, the slow-down effect when you have a higher crit streak was removed. There was something about that effect that really just made the fighting feel more fluid to me. The counter windows were also much different than other games. They added new enemy types, but they just feel like more for the sake of more and make the combat more muddled and confusing without adding anything that really enhances the gameplay. Combine this with the fact that there are no good melee boss fights and not nearly as many big melee brawls as in the previous games, and it just feels a lot less fun than the previous ones. Maybe "watered down" wasn't the right phrasing, but the melee encounters in this game are just not nearly as fun as they've been before. The one hint of a melee enhancement we see is the team up fights, and those are so short as to feel more like a proof-of-concept feature.

Edit: And I would actually agree, things like counter-throw and grabbing weapons do enhance the melee, but do we really see enough big melee encounters in the game to appreciate the new mechanics? Challenge maps would go a LONG way toward highlighting the refinements, as it would give us enough melee encounters to really play with the system and see what new mechanics we can play with.

Edit 2: VVV Oh, my bad. Was the Freeflow Focus not as pronounced in this game? I really didn't notice much of a slowdown at all.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 28, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

l33t b4c0n posted:

I think my feeling this way stems from a couple issues. For one thing, the slow-down effect when you have a higher crit streak was removed...

Actually it hasn't been removed :confused:

That is your freeflow focus, and it builds up at the same time your item combos do. Don't use your item combos and you get faster, use them and you reset the speed. That's how it was in Origins (and maybe city I don't remember) too.

E: In resposne to your edit2, yeah there's less on-screen indication of it with speed lines and stuff, it's more subtle but it definitely happens on a mechanical level.

E2: Also yeah no challenge rooms is sad because you don't get to see your fight score if you're just wailing on random rioters, but you can also drop into an intersection with like 50 dudes in it basically at any time you want, I definitely did that multiple times to just get my 'I am the knight' on. Really this game needs to let you access the Batcave again, go get your practice session or AR sesion on from an in-game terminal.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 28, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

I think my feeling this way stems from a couple issues. For one thing, the slow-down effect when you have a higher crit streak was removed.

No it wasn't. That is Focus Freeflow which was an upgrade in Arkham City and is again in Arkham Knight.

l33t b4c0n posted:

Edit: And I would actually agree, things like counter-throw and grabbing weapons do enhance the melee, but do we really see enough big melee encounters in the game to appreciate the new mechanics? Challenge maps would go a LONG way toward highlighting the refinements, as it would give us enough melee encounters to really play with the system and see what new mechanics we can play with.

There are a lot of large melee fights in the game. And while they're not a great replacement due to scoring problems there are still AR combat challenge rooms so you can take on large brawls if that is what you want. (Real challenge rooms not being in sucks though, yes.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 28, 2015

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey guys I'm at the end of the game where I can press the button in the mission menu to do the thing but it isn't starting the final (?) mission, the dialogue happens but no waypoint appears and if go to where I'm supposed to there is no interaction available. I've tried restarting the game and restarting the console (PS4), same issue. I'm 11/14 if that matters.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

l33t b4c0n posted:

Nobody liked the batmobile, especially not the tank parts.
Actually I did. People seem largely split on the batmobile.

quote:

The melee combat is watered down compared to City, as are the Predator encounters. If they had given us more of the same from Arkham City, we would have been much happier, but it's precisely because this is not more of the same that it falls flat. The only major new mechanic (the batmobile) is largely panned y everyone. They hint at other new features (team ups) but don't really give you enough access to those to really enjoy or explore them.

I 200%'d the game (on PC no less) and I honestly would rather play Origins. For all its faults, it had challenge maps with multiple characters that still give it more replay value than this game.
*played through the game twice, but it sucks because of reasons that aren't true*

You are everything that is wrong with gamers lol

edit: My ONE complaint with the combat is that the timing on the big dudes is just awful. There's no rhythm to it like everything else, it's just "if a brute is attacking you, you had better counter immediately"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hey guys I'm at the end of the game where I can press the button in the mission menu to do the thing but it isn't starting the final (?) mission, the dialogue happens but no waypoint appears and if go to where I'm supposed to there is no interaction available. I've tried restarting the game and restarting the console (PS4), same issue. I'm 11/14 if that matters.

The Batwing should should up at the top of the Gotham police building. See if it is there maybe?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I think it's near the bat signal on top of the police station?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think the Predator sections were a little easier because they were open air, but I think pretty much every other aspect of the game was improved. I really enjoy that they made the melee combat harder, because by the time I finished a New Game+ in city I could smack huge groups of mugs around with my eyes closed. They needed to up the challenge and they did.

Also I liked the Batmobile a lot. :shrug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Batmobile Buddies unite.

theflyingorc posted:

edit: My ONE complaint with the combat is that the timing on the big dudes is just awful. There's no rhythm to it like everything else, it's just "if a brute is attacking you, you had better counter immediately"

I'm wondering if they were designed not be countered but they decided to let the player do so anyway, for variety's sake. It breaks flow even when you do a successful counter - the animation is just so stiff and abrupt.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Batmobile was really fun and well realized. It didn't feel tacked on. I get not liking it because it doesn't feel much like Batman, but it was definitely pretty baller for what it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Batmobile was really fun and well realized. It didn't feel tacked on. I get not liking it because it doesn't feel much like Batman, but it was definitely pretty baller for what it was.

I found it absolutely tacked on. Gliding felt like a more natural and fast way to travel around the city, puzzles had to be designed around a giant car being a central part of them, combat was literally the Leonardo DaVinci Tank from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and you had multiple boss fights against major enemies where they inexplicably used a tank instead of something more fitting to the character just so there was an excuse for a Batmanmobile fight. The Cloudburst is the most distinctive here because it's barely relevant to the character or the situation and they recycle it in an even worse way.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I found it absolutely tacked on. Gliding felt like a more natural and fast way to travel around the city, puzzles had to be designed around a giant car being a central part of them, combat was literally the Leonardo DaVinci Tank from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and you had multiple boss fights against major enemies where they inexplicably used a tank instead of something more fitting to the character just so there was an excuse for a Batmanmobile fight. The Cloudburst is the most distinctive here because it's barely relevant to the character or the situation and they recycle it in an even worse way.

I didn't think it was 'tacked on' so much as it was a complete departure from what they'd done previously. I think it was done really really well and I actually liked what they did with both tank fights. I've punched a lot of dudes as Batman over the years, it's ok for them to try to add something that is not punching dudes(e: for a boss I mean, obviously they already have all the 'detective' style stuff throughout the game). :shrug:

E: And as I've said before, I adored like 90% of the riddler challenges with it (The death-races were fun except one that was really frustrating. Seemed pretty acceptable for the 'do all this to 100% stuff' missions).

Gliding was definitely still a faster way to get around the city, but I didn't see that as a problem, because you can glide almost all the time except when it's like "use your tanks ability to do X" and then you still could often glide over and then call your batmobile. I still chose to drive around the city a lot because I was goddamn Batman, and the criminals had taken over my streets. I had to show them who was boss. :colbert:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 28, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

When I say tacked on, I mean an addition that feels very surface and without much substance. The Batmobile is heavily integrated into gameplay and everything was designed pretty tightly around it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The only batmobile thing I really hate is the stealth sections. If you're unlucky it feels like it takes forever to catch a tank alone long enough to kill it.

I just reached the cloudburst boss fight. :smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Environmental takedowns and weapon stealing would have been better if they didn't use the same button combination.

There were too many times playing the game where I went to throw a heavy into something and it grabbed a bat from another mook, or when I went to grab a bat and it put the guy next to him into a spotlight.

Batmobile sucked. Combat would have been ok if it ever changed and the driving was poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

surc posted:

I didn't think it was 'tacked on' so much as it was a complete departure from what they'd done previously. I think it was done really really well and I actually liked what they did with both tank fights. I've punched a lot of dudes as Batman over the years, it's ok for them to try to add something that is not punching dudes. :shrug:

I'd be fine with them doing something that was not punching dudes if it was remotely as well designed as punching dudes. Instead it is on-par with the crappy minigame from an Assassin's Creed game. That would be fine if it occurred a couple of times in the game instead of being a central major reoccurring part of the game, It doesn't even meaningfully change aside from the stealth segments from the first fight to the last. If they'd managed to make ti feel as varied and fluid as melee combat or as option-filled as Predator segments I wouldn't mind. instead it's just "smash cannon button, press takedown when meter is full." I guess you can go for critical shots but they're poorly implemented and basically it just means you're holding down the cannon button OR tapping the vulcan button since the game discourages swapping between them. (And you'll have to use cannon for certain things anyway.) And the Batmobile-as-combat-tool isn't very interesting because it can only be used in a handful of canned areas. I'm not even sure why it has an upgrade for that.

I actually didn't mind the Batmobile-as-gadget. (Though the platforming early on was dumb but is quickly dropped.) It's the Batmobile dominating combat that I lost interest in.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I found the batmobile combat really fun...on hard, because it was very taxing. I imagine that it was boring as hell on normal.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

surc posted:

E: And as I've said before, I adored like 90% of the riddler challenges with it (The death-races were fun except one that was really frustrating. Seemed pretty acceptable for the 'do all this to 100% stuff' missions).

I did like two or three of the riddler time trial things for trophies and each one I immediately ejected, glided over to where I was supposed to be, and grabbed the trophy that way. I *think* the game is trying to get you to use the batmobile there, but it's just so much easier the glide/divebomb way I actually started to question it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

JetsGuy posted:

I did like two or three of the riddler time trial things for trophies and each one I immediately ejected, glided over to where I was supposed to be, and grabbed the trophy that way. I *think* the game is trying to get you to use the batmobile there, but it's just so much easier the glide/divebomb way I actually started to question it.

There's a long one on a mostly straightaway that I tried just gliding and found it difficult to make it time. It was much easier to drive the majority of the way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

theflyingorc posted:

There's a long one on a mostly straightaway that I tried just gliding and found it difficult to make it time. It was much easier to drive the majority of the way.

Gliding feels faster at first thanks to grapple boost but you lose forward momentum really quickly. The Batmobile is unquestionably faster, but it has the disadvantage of having to navigate the streets. That said, it's infinitely easier to grab the timed trophies with the Batmobile > Boost Eject.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

I found the batmobile combat really fun...on hard, because it was very taxing. I imagine that it was boring as hell on normal.

It was fun the first few times, but it really never changes.

There are like 6 enemies that show up in tank battles. 3 of them dumb fire rockets in straight lines. The other 3 fire tracking missiles that have to be shot down by the machine gun. 5 of them are ground, 1 flies.

That isn't exactly a lot of variety, and once you get all the strategies down, it just gets boring. If they added some wrinkles it might be more enjoyable, but it's pretty plain vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I'd be fine with them doing something that was not punching dudes if it was remotely as well designed as punching dudes. Instead it is on-par with the crappy minigame from an Assassin's Creed game. That would be fine if it occurred a couple of times in the game instead of being a central major reoccurring part of the game, It doesn't even meaningfully change aside from the stealth segments from the first fight to the last. If they'd managed to make ti feel as varied and fluid as melee combat or as option-filled as Predator segments I wouldn't mind. instead it's just "smash cannon button, press takedown when meter is full." I guess you can go for critical shots but they're poorly implemented and basically it just means you're holding down the cannon button OR tapping the vulcan button since the game discourages swapping between them. (And you'll have to use cannon for certain things anyway.) And the Batmobile-as-combat-tool isn't very interesting because it can only be used in a handful of canned areas. I'm not even sure why it has an upgrade for that.

I actually didn't mind the Batmobile-as-gadget. (Though the platforming early on was dumb but is quickly dropped.) It's the Batmobile dominating combat that I lost interest in.

The tank on tank combat actually was super fluid if you didn't just mash buttons. I kind of feel like that one's on you. I mean, I can use one attack over and over again in most melee fights too, but I don't because then the combat is not fun. (They mention that you should use small bursts for accuracy with the machine gun, that's how to get criticals. I don't think I ever held it down except against a dragon one time)

I don't disagree that the flaws you pointed out exist, but I think they're small flaws. Overall it is pretty well done, especially since they haven't done anything like this in anything previously.

That said, hate on about the batmobile combat. Sometimes a mechanic just doesn't work for you in a game. :shrug:

e:

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah I actually was going to post this as a thing that might make people hate the batmobile less. I actually became more certain that the idea is for you to abandon your car to 'outsmart' the riddler as it went on, some of those would have been reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally unfun to do in the car.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread