Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Ending spoilers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3Vv_eqz10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

^is amazing

SirSamVimes posted:

So out of curiosity, was anyone here scummy enough to not warn Victoria?

Also, for anyone who didn't befriend Courtney, how did you get into the VIP area?

you could have also: written your name on the list in episode 3 in the pool area or snuck around the side of the pool, using your rewind power to get past the big floaty thing.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 28, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha holy poo poo

Edit: Ending talk but how did Jefferson know to drug Max before killing Chloe anyway?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 28, 2015

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
HOLY loving poo poo. THAT ENDING. :stare:

Storywise I think this is probably the best episode yet. Answers uncovered, raising more questions. I had a mild suspicion about Mr Jefferson, but holy poo poo I did not see that bit coming. I was wary of the text being a setup, though - I wondered if Max and Chloe were going to be framed. But then... THAT happened.
Glad they had a little scene with Kate! My prayers were finally answered!

Also, I think I had to take a good 5 minutes on assisting Chloe or not. In the end, I did it and never looked back. That loving choice.

Gameplaywise, it wasn't too bad. The weakest parts were that loving Frank dialogue. I kept loving it up, and it got really annoying to have to rewind for 45 seconds or so to go ALL the way back to start. And that bunker keypad puzzle had me for the longest time... I spent a good 15 minutes going back through everything we'd seen for ANYTHING relevant... and then noticed the fingermarks. :doh:

Well, time to impatiently wait for the finale.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha holy poo poo

Edit: Ending talk but how did Jefferson know to drug Max before killing Chloe anyway?

:tinfoil: it went bad the first time when he didn't drug her, so he had to rewind

Ekusukariba fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 28, 2015

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha holy poo poo

He might not have "known". He may just not have wanted to kill her outright.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Reclaimer posted:

They should've called Frank when they found Rachel.

lol I would've called Frank, David, Warren, Kate, Juliet, Rachel's Parents, the FBI, Crimestoppers, Ms Grant and the entire Otters Swim Team but hey it's a videogame.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is undoubtedly the best episode so far. That ending. :aaa:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So here's something from Episode 1 that's super important in Episode 4. Don't click unless you've seen the ending of 4 Link

Hah. Well done, game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If they land the finale, this will officially be better than anything Telltale has produced.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Episode 4. Haven't read any replies since the new chapter went up but I'm just gonna take a stab at what everybody is saying: Holy loving poo poo.

edit: Yup

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 28, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My favourite Twin Peaks reference this episode: Nathan's psychiatrist was called Dr. Jacoby.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I'm waiting for someone to post to that effect, and also someone who suspected Jefferson throughout their run, instead of Nathan.

Man, though. That ending is something, but the opening was a fair something too. Sweet! Blade Runner! Assisted suicide. Not sweet. It was a tough choice.

DSP has been doing a run of this game that I've kept up with (for my schadenfreude fix) and he made some really bizarre choices (including implicating Jefferson and not saving Kate among many) and he'll be streaming the whole game tonight at 10 EST. If you wanna see what the ending means for an already completely hosed up save file and laugh at a bumbling fool not put the pieces together, you should honestly check it out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

When Kate died did he declare that there was nothing he could have done?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

UGH DSP. I had forgotten that guy existed. Thanks :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I'd like to play Episode 4, but Life is Strange is giving me a BEX crash on startup (PC Steam version) :argh:. Checked the game's file integrity and made sure my nVidia driver's the latest version (353.30) already.

edit: Checked the tech forum on Steam for it and apparently it's because I'm using headphones of all things (checked and yep, it booted... into a tiny window instead of fullscreen :psyduck:). That's a really dumb bug that you'd think someone would've caught in testing. On Unreal, no less.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 28, 2015

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I no longer experience feelings of melancholy and nostalgia from this game after finishing episode 4. :stare:

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

So I'm trying to travel through the photo after helping alternate universe Chloe, but uh how do I do it? The photo doesn't move or change when I press A and D.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Torgo2727 posted:

I no longer experience feelings of melancholy and nostalgia from this game after finishing episode 4. :stare:

This game took a hella dark turn from the mostly mundane teen melodrama I thought it'd be, but I'm totally down for the ride. It seems like a lot of thought and care went into the various permutations of how events could unfold, particularly in the confrontation between Chloe and Frank. Is there a decision path that won't allow you to end that situation nonviolently?

Akarshi posted:

So I'm trying to travel through the photo after helping alternate universe Chloe, but uh how do I do it? The photo doesn't move or change when I press A and D.

This was really annoying for me on PC because there's no indicator of where your cursor is. Basically you have to hold down left click somewhere on the screen and use the movement keys until the picture comes into clear view. If you can't get a clear picture, move your mouse to another point on the screen.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

exquisite tea posted:

This game took a hella dark turn from the mostly mundane teen melodrama I thought it'd be, but I'm totally down for the ride. It seems like a lot of thought and care went into the various permutations of how events could unfold, particularly in the confrontation between Chloe and Frank. Is there a decision path that won't allow you to end that situation nonviolently?

This was really annoying for me on PC because there's no indicator of where your cursor is. Basically you have to hold down left click somewhere on the screen and use the movement keys until the picture comes into clear view. If you can't get a clear picture, move your mouse to another point on the screen.

I didn't use movement keys, I just held don't the button and moved the mouse around until I heard voices and then let go of the button.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, you can do it. I think it requires various choices in the previous episodes though. Specifically, I suspect his dog needs to be alive, he mentions that he trusts you because he's not barking, at one point in the conversation.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Dog is alive, have him close the door, say you're sorry and that you love dogs and something else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said "that won't allow you to end the situation nonviolently." As in, there is no path you can take that doesn't result in Frank getting shot/killed. The peace option is the most popular resolution for players so far (and mine).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh yeah, if you get Chloe to toss the gun away then do anything that would get him killed in the other paths, he just takes a knife to the leg.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
FYI I think Reddit theory makes a lot of sense - Mr. Jefferson was always a sketchy photographer, was blackmailed/coerced into coming to Blackwell to "mentor" Nathan and keep him out of legal trouble.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

exquisite tea posted:

This game took a hella dark turn from the mostly mundane teen melodrama I thought it'd be, but I'm totally down for the ride.

I may have cried several times this episode. There were some heavy / hard hitting decisions right out of the gate. Euthanizing your best friend being the hardest. In a game where you make choices all the time to progress the story, I didn't want to make a choice there. How could anyone make that choice? The developers knew some people wouldn't want to make a choice so they helpfully provided the player with an option to "punt" with an "I'm not sure, Chloe..." only to land right back at the choice selection screen of either killing Chloe or not. It was a brilliant sequence and executed well.

Max and Chloe's voice actors are doing a great job giving these characters life. I'm hella down for this ride, too. Rachel and Chloe deserve revenge.

Please let Chloe be OK, DONTNOD. I know previous attempts at helping Chloe went poorly but let it be OK this one time. :(

Very excited for the last episode.

monster on a stick posted:

FYI I think Reddit theory makes a lot of sense - Mr. Jefferson was always a sketchy photographer, was blackmailed/coerced into coming to Blackwell to "mentor" Nathan and keep him out of legal trouble.

Sometimes a serial killer is just a serial killer. There doesn't have to be a reason or hidden story that makes little sense.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 29, 2015

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I said "that won't allow you to end the situation nonviolently." As in, there is no path you can take that doesn't result in Frank getting shot/killed. The peace option is the most popular resolution for players so far (and mine).

I wasn't able to resolve that scene peacefully, the first time Chloe killed him, then the second and third time I tried she stabbed him in the leg- I couldn't stop him from attacking her. Maybe I just chose the wrong conversation options, but I don't think so. Chloe had the gun so I warned her to get rid of it, the dog was alive so I asked Frank to close the door, I apologised for trying to shoot him, told him I love dogs, and said something about rachel's bracelet?.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

fentan posted:

I wasn't able to resolve that scene peacefully, the first time Chloe killed him, then the second and third time I tried she stabbed him in the leg- I couldn't stop him from attacking her. Maybe I just chose the wrong conversation options, but I don't think so. Chloe had the gun so I warned her to get rid of it, the dog was alive so I asked Frank to close the door, I apologised for trying to shoot him, told him I love dogs, and said something about rachel's bracelet?.

For me, that option and the letter option lead to him attacking. The photo actually led to the peaceful resolution, but it might be just because I hit enough "peaceful" flags.

EDIT: Misremembered the scene.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 28, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I don't buy the Jefferson is Nathan's real father theory either, there are just too many problems with that to be true. But at the same time I do think that Jefferson knows something more, either about the coming storm, or Max's power, or both.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

fentan posted:

The booby trap in that scene is that Max gets aggressive in her interrogation when you talk about the Bracelet. That sets off Frank's alpha dog response and he knee jerks against the challenge. The real answer in the scene is actually Rachel's Photo, because unlike the letter, it's important to Frank but not private to him so Max can play it off as 'Rachel said she'd given you her photo' and establish common ground without betraying that she and Chloe broke into Frank's trailer.

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 28, 2015

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I got him stabbed in the leg and thought, whatever, that's good enough.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Pingcode posted:

The booby trap in that scene is that Max gets aggressive in her interrogation when you talk about the Bracelet. That sets off Frank's alpha dog response and he knee jerks against the challenge. The real answer in this scene is actually Rachel's Photo, because unlike the letter, it's important to Frank but not private to him so Max can play it off as 'Rachel said she'd given you her photo' and establish common ground without betraying that she and Chloe broke into Frank's trailer.

Ahhhh I thought that would give away the trailer break in, but that makes sense. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my separate save where I do everything right.

Georgia Peach posted:

I got him stabbed in the leg and thought, whatever, that's good enough.

lol yeah p much

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fentan posted:

lol yeah p much

If you get Frank on your side, it turns out he's nowhere as bad as he seems. He's not a nice guy, but he really did care about Rachel.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trabandiumium posted:

Dog is alive, have him close the door, say you're sorry and that you love dogs and something else.

Dog is alive, tell chloe to shut the gently caress up, don't tell him you were in his trailer or took his keys or gave the dog a bone. Apologize, appeal to him, appeal to amber. You can even try shooting him in the last episode and he'll do it.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Dog is alive, tell chloe to shut the gently caress up, don't tell him you were in his trailer or took his keys or gave the dog a bone. Apologize, appeal to him, appeal to amber. You can even try shooting him in the last episode and he'll do it.

So I'm guessing that phone call in the hall was with Nathan? Or another Prescott?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't wait for all obscure characters you helped in minor ways to come to Max's aid in the final moments of Episode 5, as the final boss gets attacked by the blue jay from Chloe's house, fires their gun but misses at a charging Alyssa as they are tackled to the ground and placed in a chokehold by the fully rejuvenated Lisa.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wanted frank alive and uninjured on my second playthrough, given the ending. Dat backup.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
It kinda got overshadowed by the ending but warren beating the living poo poo out of nathan was loving awesome

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

klapman posted:

It kinda got overshadowed by the ending but warren beating the living poo poo out of nathan was loving awesome

I can't believe that was the more unpopular decision. Cmon, let the poor dude have his day in the sun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Episode 3 and Witcher 3 came out like the same day or around the same time. I did this game first since it's a lot quicker. So now now that episode 4 is out after playing a bunch of Witcher 3:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has been instinctively trying to use your Witcher Senses when exploring places in this game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

klapman posted:

I felt good about that at first but after seeing how damaged he really was after that I rewinded because drat

• Locked thread