Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

In Training posted:

VI was the most free of the DQ's I've played and I prefer the more linear gameplay. Wandering around a map can be fun for a bit but with VI every time I got a new mode of transportation I just spent most of my time doubling back to old areas just to see if I'd missed anything. Once you got to a town or castle with their own little stories they were cool but the pacing suffered from the long stretches in between f relatively nothing happening.

DQ6 really struggled from being aimless at times, especially since the plot around the middle of the game is just the characters trying to "find themselves" or something. The beginning and end is really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Dragon Quest I, II and III are also pretty free. I never finished V, so maybe IV and V are the games that give it the "on-rails" reputation?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Nickoten posted:

Dragon Quest I, II and III are also pretty free. I never finished V, so maybe IV and V are the games that give it the "on-rails" reputation?

II is pretty linear until you get the ship, but at that point you're 2/3rds of the way through the game essentially.

DQ I is probably the most "open" in the sense that no artificial barriers exist anywhere and you can theoretically go anywhere on the map right from the start. Of course, the mobs are meant as the barriers in that one.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

ComposerGuy posted:

II is pretty linear until you get the ship, but at that point you're 2/3rds of the way through the game essentially.

DQ I is probably the most "open" in the sense that no artificial barriers exist anywhere and you can theoretically go anywhere on the map right from the start. Of course, the mobs are meant as the barriers in that one.

Bridges. Beware of bridges.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Bridges. Beware of bridges.

Go as far south as you can from the starting castle to the row right next to the mountain range/coast and you can fight scorpions at early levels. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Skeezy posted:

There's a Dragon Quest livestream scheduled for July 28th. Could mention Dragon Quest XI.

Probably going to focus a lot on the new mobile game coming out there. I doubt they'll care to mention DQMSL coming out here on the 29th though. Maybe some DQXI info but I'd think an announcement of that size would be done at a major (Japanese) gaming convention.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ComposerGuy posted:

Ah, okay. It seemed like I got to the ship part pretty quick but I stopped at that point.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Probably going to focus a lot on the new mobile game coming out there. I doubt they'll care to mention DQMSL coming out here on the 29th though. Maybe some DQXI info but I'd think an announcement of that size would be done at a major (Japanese) gaming convention.

DQX was revealed in a dedicated Livestream

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's been confirmed to include an announcement for the next main line DQ game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-new-title-presentation-july-28-live-stream-details-announced

Here's more info on the livestream.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

DQ11 announced for PS4 and...3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ10 is coming to PS4, too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ceramics posted:

DQ11 announced for PS4 and...3DS?

Wait what

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
DQ games are also being released in Japan and

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Two separate games a la Ni no Kuni. PS4 version uses Unreal Engine 4, is by the team that's currently assisting on DQX; 3DS version is by a company called Toy Logic that's done contract work for Nintendo on games like Smash Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 3DS version is 3D on the top screen, 2D pixel art on the touch screen. Mega cool.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kgmb_k3q5U

EDIT:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 28, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just got reminded that DQ Heroes is coming out soonish. Were there any Japanese reviews for it? I played some Hyrule Warriors and loved it and I like the aesthetic of DQ so was interested in it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...and DQ10/11 were announced for NX, too. Y'know, the Nintendo console we don't know poo poo about.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

...and DQ10/11 were announced for NX, too. Y'know, the Nintendo console we don't know poo poo about.

Well now we know one thing: it just needs Monster Hunter too and it's guaranteed to be a success in japan.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DQ 11 announced to CODENAME SECRET

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
That 2D/3D hybrid is really weird.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQ11 is cooler than I could have imagined with their wild release options. Now we just have to wait for localization details!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

In Training posted:

DQ11 is cooler than I could have imagined with their wild release options. Now we just have to wait for localization details!

I hope they don't string us along in the West. What little they showed of the game looks like DQ8 on steroids and I'm all over that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm sure at least one of the versions will make it over.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DQ10 is coming to PS4, too.

This might be able to push it over to come to the West, since it's finally on a console that sells enough to justify an MMO (PC Notwithstanding, because that's how SquareEnix do.)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That's cool enough that I'd almost pass up the PS4 version to get it. Not that I'm expecting we'll have as many options as Japanese players if we get the game at all.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Awesome. I'll probably double-dip, if they both make it over.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I might be in the minority but I hope the console version makes it over if nothing else. I much prefer sitting on the couch in front of a giant TV playing games than squinting at a small screen (I'm old).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Levantine posted:

I might be in the minority but I hope the console version makes it over if nothing else. I much prefer sitting on the couch in front of a giant TV playing games than squinting at a small screen (I'm old).

Same but unfortunately if Capcom is anything to go by Japan thinks we only want handheld games because of how bad MonHun 3 did.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

flyboi posted:

Same but unfortunately if Capcom is anything to go by Japan thinks we only want handheld games because of how bad MonHun 3 did.

From what I understand S-E and Sony together have been going hard getting the PS4 to catch on in Japan, because it's the dominant platform worldwide but the Japanese have been slow to adopt; otherwise I think they might have been content to go 3DS only. S-E has also been making a lot of talk about how they want DQ to grow worldwide, so the PS4 version probably largely exists to send overseas.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did they confirm Dragon Quest 7 for the west yet

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I am absolutely in love with the 2D/3D stuff in the 3DS version. It's so charming. And the game looks gorgeous.
PS4 version looks beautiful too. I'm excited as hell for this game.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Harlock posted:

Did they confirm Dragon Quest 7 for the west yet

Only that unintentional slip from Yuji Horii at that French game convention, which may or may not mean anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about either version of DQXI coming out in the States. Square Enix already said that the future of the series here depends on sales of DQ Heroes so we'll see what happens. Also if we do get XI I don't think we'll get the 3DS version at all.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Skeezy posted:

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about either version of DQXI coming out in the States. Square Enix already said that the future of the series here depends on sales of DQ Heroes so we'll see what happens. Also if we do get XI I don't think we'll get the 3DS version at all.

That's really loving dumb of SE but what would I expect from them. Why would you predicate the localization and sale of your epic story-driven RPG on sales of a wholly unrelated type of game? Why not, instead, look at the huge popularity of other similar games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could be wrong but I thought DQ games have always sold poorly in the states.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Why not, instead, look at the huge popularity of other similar games.

... because by and large JRPG sales numbers have tanked? I mean the very best most popular JRPGs are extremely fortunate to break a million copies sold worldwide.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Basing sales on a spin-off game that's nothing like the original franchise is a good way to gauge people's interest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Basing sales on a spin-off game that's nothing like the original franchise is a good way to gauge people's interest

It actually has proven to be a success recently actually.

Licensed tie-ins show an interest in the IP which is actually fairly significant. People are more likely to buy something based off an IP they like than based off gameplay in a vacuum. It is one of the reasons the Dynasty Warriors games have done well and why we're getting the anime spinoffs.

Namco=Bandai is actually doing that a lot lately to reasonable success. It's the reason stuff like Project X-Zone and J-Stars Victory Versus is getting released. Targeting fans of an IP has shown that people are willing to buy something because it has an IP they like more than "it has good gameplay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Heroes managed to actually move consoles in Japan if I remember correctly so I'm not surprised they are using it as a measuring stick elsewhere.