Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just made a hotbar on the side of my screen and have all my companion stuff on it. I've got a black choco and a GC choco button that I'll switch back and forth in my middle click spot depending on whether or not I have him stabled. One spot for gyshal greens, another for sylkis bud, spots for free, attack, healer, and tank stance, plus a button for follow and withdraw.

Part of the reason your macro doesn't work is because there is no failure action or error if you click free stance while already in free stance. Just drag the buttons off your companion window to a hotbar somewhere and you'll be fine.

Using a controller so hotbar space is at a premium. What I have works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ouhei posted:

I'm fighting the urge to pick up the Eso PLD chest this week instead of the sword. I know weapons are the best upgrade, but pretty pretty dress up! I'm not doing Savage at all and haven't started normal Alex yet (though I will be this week) so I know it doesn't REALLY matter other than making it slightly easier on me if I get paired up with DPS that get their weapon next week.

I'm thinking of doing chest > sword > shield > pants > gloves > boots > head. Since We PLD's can get the sword in 2 weeks, I'd only really be a week behind the fastest DPS in getting my i200 weapon.

If you're not doing savage alex it doesn't matter, get what you want.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Hmm, I'm sitting here wondering if the Eso chest is a better buy if you have a Hive weapon because it's similar stat gains, but lacking the weapon damage, but a 20 ilevel jump instead of 10

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Weapon is probably better, but I'm pretty sure the difference is a couple % tops.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah it's a little bit odd that they're continuing to label the non-cap trials "Hard". Wonder what the logic behind that is. :shrug:

Normal mode primal fights have light parties (4 man), hard modes have full parties (8 man), extreme modes have full parties but are never part of any quest chain except for the self contained EX primal fight chain.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was running a low level dungeon (Hatali norm) and one of the party members was casting Protect, even though it's not available until lvl 34. How does that work?

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Just killed Alexander Savage 3.

World First. First pull of the raid.

loving. Incredible.

Chyea fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 28, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

I was running a low level dungeon (Hatali norm) and one of the party members was casting Protect, even though it's not available until lvl 34. How does that work?

You mean stoneskin? It's a cross-classable skill.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Cross class skills can be used before the required level of the original class. If you put a level 50 skill in your first crossclass slot you can use it even if you get synced back to level 15.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chyea posted:

loving. Incredible.

Christ! Congratulations. How in the holy hell did you get past the DPS check?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Chyea posted:

loving. Incredible.

Congrats! I've been watching Insomniac's/Synergy stream, fight looks incredible.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Truga posted:

You mean stoneskin? It's a cross-classable skill.

Yeah, I meant stoneskin. Brainfart.

And thanks for the explanation. Could I hypothetically put my native skills in the crossclass slot?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Chyea posted:

loving. Incredible.

Awesome stuff, man

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Chyea posted:

loving. Incredible.

Congrats, that's got to feel amazing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Now I really want to know how loving insane SA4 is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

Now I really want to know how loving insane SA4 is.

Faust is in the tunnel.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Vermain posted:

Christ! Congratulations. How in the holy hell did you get past the DPS check?

DPS check is hard but the execution is harder.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Chyea posted:

loving. Incredible.

Nice job! Can't wait to hear more details about it, and good luck on AS4!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So alexander normal drops 4 per boss now? Time to get super disappointed when I run it 8 times for the item i want.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

A small sample of the struggle of A3S.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
This is perfect. Congratulations!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Chyea posted:

Oh bullshit, I remember that line blocking stuff from WoW, it's always extremely frustrating when it simply will not loving stick to you and it wipes the raid (and generally the person who it didn't stick to gets blamed, woo) Let me guess, if someone is dumb and "accidentally" passes in front of the designated blocker, you get a debuff too?

More power to you guys dealing with the punishing check and apparently Tanaka running the mechanics himself.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Even in normal mode that tether is wonky as hell. Which is weird because Tempest Wing was always snappy in t13.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shere posted:

Even in normal mode that tether is wonky as hell. Which is weird because Tempest Wing was always snappy in t13.

Yeah, I think they made the raycast cylinder too thin or something. I have what I'd consider to be a fairly good ping (70~ average), and I have to run into it about two or three times to get the drat thing to actually detect properly.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Chyea posted:

What is your schedule even like when you're trying for World Firsts? Do you take time before attempts to try and get new gear or is that too much of a risk of someone else beating you? Do you take off work? Do you have jobs? How do you afford the constant expensive food buying?

I'm very curious about all this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

What is your schedule even like when you're trying for World Firsts? Do you take time before attempts to try and get new gear or is that too much of a risk of someone else beating you? Do you take off work? Do you have jobs? How do you afford the constant expensive food buying?

Assuming this isn't a troll. If it's anything like WoW progression raiders if you have a job you take a few weeks of using vacation. Or they are in school during summer vacation or jobless. They only raid a lot of hours the first 1-2 weeks then it's 1-2 hours a week from then on out till the next progression. (not so much in WoW anymore with needing to have multiple alts fully geared out). And I'd assume people at this level know if it's gear or skill that is holding them back from a kill and whether or not to go get more gear or do more attempts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

{I'm sorry.}

Nice job. Looking forward to impressions from savage 4.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
It is not a troll. I don't know anything about world first raiding and it seemed like asking a direct source would be a good option to learn about it.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

We each took a week and a bit off work. All of us have jobs or go to school, and a couple of us worked from home during progression. Generally we raided for 14-16 hours a day, with a couple hours for real life and 6~ hours of sleep. We used the downtime when people went AFK to farm Alexander Normal or Esoterics. If we felt our mains or alts needed gear for progression purposes, we dedicated time before we slept to finish their gearing for the next day. Regarding food and potions, Elysium is well-networked and filled with dedicated crafters and gatherers. Food and pots were rarely an issue, despite sometimes blowing 500k per pull on potions

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are people already sick of endgame stuff? I still haven't even hit 60 on my main class and I'm worried there will be no one left around to farm content when I do.

On the other hand, it seems like Alex normal will be less of a frustration for me.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Joining the chorus of getting the esoterics chest first. I'd get a greater benefit than others since I still only have the law weapon but I don't care, pretty princess comes first. :sparkles:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Are people already sick of endgame stuff? I still haven't even hit 60 on my main class and I'm worried there will be no one left around to farm content when I do.

On the other hand, it seems like Alex normal will be less of a frustration for me.

nah, most people have been running it for a few weeks tops, you should be able to find people for whatever.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Joining the chorus of getting the esoterics chest first. I'd get a greater benefit than others since I still only have the law weapon but I don't care, pretty princess comes first. :sparkles:

normally id save up for a weapon but, dat bard body / head piece, gotta have it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Chyea posted:

We each took a week and a bit off work. All of us have jobs or go to school, and a couple of us worked from home during progression. Generally we raided for 14-16 hours a day, with a couple hours for real life and 6~ hours of sleep. We used the downtime when people went AFK to farm Alexander Normal or Esoterics. If we felt our mains or alts needed gear for progression purposes, we dedicated time before we slept to finish their gearing for the next day. Regarding food and potions, Elysium is well-networked and filled with dedicated crafters and gatherers. Food and pots were rarely an issue, despite sometimes blowing 500k per pull on potions

Being that it's 8 people and your FC has more then 8 raiders do you condense into a super 8 man alpha squad going for world firsts? Or do you have multiple groups trying with the same dedication?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chyea posted:

followup question with no snark or sarcasm attached:

Do you get anything out of doing it?

Say Alexander [Apocalyptic] comes out next week and you operate as above.
1. say you get the "world first" - is there some reward for having done so? Or is it "take the screenshot, announce on forum, cool, see you guys next dungeon release, time to sleep?"

2. say someone else gets it, way before you or just before you - do you stop? Does it still feel worth it? How much does that suck?

Side question:
- how do you know you're the first to have done it?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Considering someone is posting about their experience as the WORLD FIRST of 3 of 4 raid turns, there's still plenty to do. Most people haven't even cleared Bismark or Ravana ex.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Being that it's 8 people and your FC has more then 8 raiders do you condense into a super 8 man alpha squad going for world firsts? Or do you have multiple groups trying with the same dedication?

Elysium has several excellent statics, we don't rearrange groups or try to make a "super-group". We feel that supporting our existing statics and promoting synergy is a better way to have a quality raiding experience.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Do you have ACT logs from the fight?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The real problem with the endgame is that the Great Library is the best dungeon of HW but you rarely do it at 60. Add Gubal to the EXDR yoshi.p plz

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Add something to EXDR. Neverreap is horrible and one of the main reasons I've been putting off tomestone grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

GreatRedSpirit posted:

The real problem with the endgame is that the Great Library is the best dungeon of HW but you rarely do it at 60. Add Gubal to the EXDR yoshi.p plz

The Great Gubal Library (Hard) will fulfill all your magical talking book dreams. Please look forward to it!

• Locked thread