Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Malloreon posted:

followup question with no snark or sarcasm attached:

Do you get anything out of doing it?

Say Alexander [Apocalyptic] comes out next week and you operate as above.
1. say you get the "world first" - is there some reward for having done so? Or is it "take the screenshot, announce on forum, cool, see you guys next dungeon release, time to sleep?"

2. say someone else gets it, way before you or just before you - do you stop? Does it still feel worth it? How much does that suck?

Side question:
- how do you know you're the first to have done it?

It's fun. We find it enjoyable. It's like solving a massive, painful, moving puzzle with seven other people. There's no guides or videos so each innovation you make to a strategy is untested and exciting. The reward is solving the puzzle. If someone gets a clear beforehand, it's a little demoralizing but I don't feel its detrimental to the raid.

The FFXIV raiding community is relatively small and well connected.. While it's entirely possible that another group kills a boss first, it's unlikely that social media would be unaware of it for very long. Finally, YoshiP usually states who kills a boss first during the next Live Letter/Letter from the Producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chyea posted:

It's fun. We find it enjoyable. It's like solving a massive, painful, moving puzzle with seven other people. There's no guides or videos so each innovation you make to a strategy is untested and exciting. The reward is solving the puzzle. If someone gets a clear beforehand, it's a little demoralizing but I don't feel its detrimental to the raid.

The FFXIV raiding community is relatively small and well connected.. While it's entirely possible that another group kills a boss first, it's unlikely that social media would be unaware of it for very long. Finally, YoshiP usually states who kills a boss first during the next Live Letter/Letter from the Producer.

thanks for taking the time to answer, I definitely see the appeal.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Good luck on A4! Can't wait to see what bullshit the Manipulator busts out now

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nevereap is fun and I'm a Blm!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

seorin posted:

As a now ex-BLM and omnicrafter since 2.0, Heavensward has been a bit underwhelming to say the least. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith: Certainly how I feel right now.

quote:

I HATE being top DPS on Faust, second otherwise with only a machinist in the party doing physical debuff.

Not everything is about dps numbers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chyea posted:

Just killed Alexander Savage 3.

World First. First pull of the raid.

loving. Incredible.

Be sure to tell us all about the horrors of AS4! I want to be skurred.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I do not like Neverreap. I have played it as BLM, SCH, and DRK so far. It is bad in every role. I might like it less than Totorak and Aurum Vale. It is an awful dungeon in every way.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Unguided posted:

Add something to EXDR. Neverreap is horrible and one of the main reasons I've been putting off tomestone grinding.

They need to add drops to the Aetherochemical Research Facility and make it part of EXDR, imo. That was a fun dungeon and it gave the same amount of Law tomes as the other two last I checked, I'm not sure if it gives Esoterics but if not add those too.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Seems like a strange choice to have no loot in ARF and leave it out of the starting EXDR

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Chyea posted:

A small sample of the struggle of A3S.

This terrifies me. Congratulations!

Dumb question: how do you tell if you get a world first? Is there an online savage raiding community where you post your times or something like an in-game message sent to the party members?

Tenzarin posted:

Nevereap is fun and I'm a Blm!

{Same}
I'm a 60 BLM and find the new rotations perfectly fine. Also if you abandoned BLM before the Thunder buffs, wouldn't hurt to come back and check them out. From what i've seen, a Thundercloud proc with Thunder 3 hits for about as much as a fully powered Fire 3 now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joHtggknBRo

so, uh...

crafting, guys

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

armoredgorilla posted:

Seems like a strange choice to have no loot in ARF and leave it out of the starting EXDR

Also a strange choice not to put ARF in any roulette at all. I imagine it's starting to get difficult to get parties for it (particularly for DPS)

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I used to raid in vodka back in my wow days. Never got world first because euros were so good but the US firsts I got were some of the happiest moments in vidja gaming.

You get burned out though and I've always considered FFXIV my 'retirement MMO' cuz theres so much poo poo to do besides raiding

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Crossposting this over from the Record Keeper. Japan recently got a FF14 event, basically covering the first 20 levels of the game.

Copperbell Mines (Expert), in true FFXIV "ignore everything and kill the boss" fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCD_Ce18Fs

The Bowl of Embers (Ex+) Ifrit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWcVjaaf3Aw

Bonus: Y'shotla is up there with Cloud in the overpowered tier if you manage to get Thyrus out of the Gacha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JTDep1BD3k

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 28, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
As a PLD, I don't mind never reap really. EXDR gives me the other one like 75% of the time so I'm usually just happy I got something different. I can see how it'd be annoying if you were a BLM or something though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm bored in class right now, so I figured I'd do a write up on my thoughts on my progress through HW so far.

I'm not even 60 on my main class (AST) yet as when HW came out, I promised my wife that I wouldn't outlevel/outquest her, so we only do MSQs and side quests together. Currently, we just unlocked Great Gubal Library (which we'll run tonight). So we don't have Azys Lla open to us yet.

Since she doesn't play that often (maybe a few hours every other day, sometimes more), I've been really enjoying crafting and gathering in 3.0.

When I started 3.0 crafting, it was like hitting a loving wall. I had no idea what I was doing and everything felt impossible. In 2.x, I took all my DoH to 50, got an unmelded HQ Patricians set and the base level 50 tools from the quests and then never progressed crafting. I had no idea how rotations worked or anything. I had all the skills at my fingertips but didn't have the knowledge of how.

Thanks to many in this guild, and especially Xerri Berry, I was able to gain an understand of how.

I haven't started farming scrips of any kind yet. I mean, I had enough crafter/gatherer scrips to get the level 58 sets or DoH/DoL, but I haven't done any farming beyond that as I've mainly just put the focus on leveling these classes. I should hit 60 across the board by the end of the week.

I know I'm behind the curve in all areas. People who focus combat jobs already have farmed Alexander to oblivion, gatherers have their initial level 60 gear and are on their way to farm their red scrips, and same goes for crafters.

Since I don't work currently and I only take summer classes two days a week, I have had a [lot] of time to play. I haven't played a game this obsessively since I was deep into World of Warcraft back in 2005ish. But to me, the way I play is different. I don't care about being at the front of everything. I'm just enjoying doing whatever I want to do and not worrying about what everyone else is doing. I have been playing at least a couple hours every day and some days I've put probably close to 12 hours in. Have I been as efficient as I could? Absolutely not. But it's been fun since I don't care.

Futhermore, it has been interesting seeing how my wife plays the game as someone who has never played an MMORPG before. She has never touched crafting/gathering. The only classes she has leveled are dragoon to 59 and marauder to 16. She's never touched beast tribes. She rarely sends her retainers on ventures (I think she has them at level 20-25). She still hasn't even done 80% of the level 50 dungeons. When we play together, she'll flit from one thing to the next, never taking the most efficient path through a zone. She'll spend a half hour trying find a good location and trying to get her character in a good position to take screenshots. When getting gear upgrades, she'll refuse to equip them if she doesn't have the proper glamour crystals to glamour them. She is blissfully unaware of what endgame is and only does what is fun to her.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mordiceius posted:

When getting gear upgrades, she'll refuse to equip them if she doesn't have the proper glamour crystals to glamour them.

Sounds like she's playing the game right. :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

kaynorr posted:

The Great Gubal Library (Hard) will fulfill all your magical talking book dreams. Please look forward to it!
No joke the thing I'm most looking forward to in 3.1 is more dungeons in the EXDR.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reclaim is and has always been a garbage ability that high level crafters nonetheless need to rely on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think I'm crazy enough to do a reclaim on the 2 stars.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Reclaim is and has always been a garbage ability that high level crafters nonetheless need to rely on.

Nothing feels worse than a reclaim failure. Nonetheless, reclaim has saved my rear end more than it has hurt me. Sometimes, things just don't go your way and you fail eight Steady Hand II/hasty touches in a row.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Anyone want some advice on how to be a terrible Warrior? Reddit has you covered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3eu0wp/saw_on_reddit_visual_mnk_and_drg_guides_so_i_made/

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Nothing new here. We all felt this pain with 3 and 4 star crafting in ARR.

I feel far worse when somehow I end up with 90% to HQ and have to make the tough call.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why do i do guildhest every day when it's completely pointless? Hmm.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Friendly reminder for anyone who wants eso tomes but doesn't want to slog through Neverreap: Seal Rock (or whatever the newest pvp map is, phone posting so I can't be hosed to look it up) is fast, fun, and gives 20 eso a run.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Anyone want some advice on how to be a terrible Warrior? Reddit has you covered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3eu0wp/saw_on_reddit_visual_mnk_and_drg_guides_so_i_made/

I always love people who come up with these ridiculously lengthy "rotations" rather than just learning to play it by ear.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Friendly reminder for anyone who wants eso tomes but doesn't want to slog through Neverreap: Seal Rock (or whatever the newest pvp map is, phone posting so I can't be hosed to look it up) is fast, fun, and gives 20 eso a run.

This cannot be stressed enough. Even if you hate pvp, you can just go in flail at your keyboard and get 20 eso for little effort.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Leonheart posted:

This cannot be stressed enough. Even if you hate pvp, you can just go in flail at your keyboard and get 20 eso for little effort.

You get ESO for losing?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Boten Anna posted:

Mash overpower. If there's a ninja, harass them to use Goad on you.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
to be less facetious, I dismissed that the second I saw he rated Flash as "meh"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Please don't do this. If you like PvP, or want to try, PvP's a great source of tomes, but it's a pretty awful feeling to get stuck with a bunch of people who would rather lose fast than win at all.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Holyshoot posted:

You get ESO for losing?

Yes. The tome rewards are based solely on participation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chyea and friends switched to DRK for A3S, thereby cementing DRK as king of MT mountain.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Niton posted:

Please don't do this. If you like PvP, or want to try, PvP's a great source of tomes, but it's a pretty awful feeling to get stuck with a bunch of people who would rather lose fast than win at all.

I see people riding their mount into battle... And just sitting there to die.

Please don't do this. At least try and follow the group and kill things and heal people. It's really fun!!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr Pepper posted:

Sounds like she's playing the game right. :colbert:

:agreed:

Amazing glamours is the end game here.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Eej posted:

Chyea and friends switched to DRK for A3S, thereby cementing DRK as king of MT mountain.

Eternal truth right here

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fister Roboto posted:

I always love people who come up with these ridiculously lengthy "rotations" rather than just learning to play it by ear.

Yeah. They'll have this long rear end insane list of abilities.

AFAIK with DRG, I mainly just do Heavy Thrust -> Chaos combo -> Phelbotomize -> Full Thrust Combo then do whatever.

When playing on pad, I did make a couple context sensitive macros to save space. I macroed Power Surge in front of Jump \ Spineshatter and put Flurry and Featherfoot on the same button. I might but Life Surge and Full Thrust on the same button.

Macros seem to be generally frowned upon in this game, but the way I have them set up is when the first ability can't be cast, it'll go to the 2nd on the list. Obviously this doesn't work for anything with a GCD so I still do all my actual attacks manually.

I just hit 54 and I got Blood of the Dragon. I guess that won't come into play much until I get Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw, no? I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to set that up. I guess you want to pop Blood of the Dragon right before Chaos Thrust or Full Thrust, no?

Also I'm guessing I can put Geirskogul and Doom Spike on the same button.

I don't ever use Piercing Talon and don't even have that on my hotbar. Maybe I'll throw it on a jump or something when the cooldown for that isn't up.

Thoughts?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm guessing I'm not the first person to accidentally hand in current gear for the GC Expert Delivery. :shepface:

Oh well it wasn't like I was using gil for anything else.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Incidentally, SealRock.jpg, or "why bad RNG doesn't matter at all":

Please play (and enjoy) Seal Rock, it is A Good PvP Experience.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Niton posted:

Incidentally, SealRock.jpg, or "why bad RNG doesn't matter at all":

Please play (and enjoy) Seal Rock, it is A Good PvP Experience.

Glorious victory for the forces of Capitalism :911:

• Locked thread