Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah, you guys are right, I'll leave it out. The resume is ok, but I'm still only a year out of school and am a little bummed out about having to start the job hunt over. I was working for a startup money transfer company so I can't say this type of thing is totally unexpected, but man it stinks to lose $22/hr, benefits, unlimited 2x overtime, and tons of PTO.

On the upside I'm certainly not alone in the layoffs, and I've got some pretty good references out of it. Plus 7 months of good pay and a one month trip to London. Here's hoping the layoff isn't looked on too harshly I guess.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. It sucks to get laid off for sure, but when you're dealing with startups especially it happens. I think employers would be understanding of that.

Actually I read a book called "60 Seconds & You're Hired", it deals with all sorts of interview questions including how to talk about a layoff or firing. Might be worth you checking out.

I read it before my second round interview for my dream job last week, it helped me feel more prepared and confident. They said it would be the end of the month before they're in touch again, this waiting is agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Hey folks. I've decided to take up job searching again, as I'm somewhat dissatisfied with my current job(regularly getting cursed and yelled at by customers is not my idea of a fulfilling working environment). Accordingly, I want to make sure my resume is as good as possible. Currently it's straining to stay at one page. I want to expand it to two pages, mostly by drastically expanding on the skills section and adding more detailed work experience descriptions if necessary. I am somewhat unsure on how to decide what to put under skills, though. For example, I've worked with Virtualbox a decent amount for both personal and school projects, but never in a professional capacity. I'm unsure of how to appropriately state that in a way that suggests I know the basics but am not a virtualization engineer. Any advice?

My Resume - please ignore any formatting inconsistencies, google docs doesn't handle it as well as Word does.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Eschatos posted:

My Resume - please ignore any formatting inconsistencies, google docs doesn't handle it as well as Word does.
  • Having the proper noun "Certification" repeated 3 times in the "Certifications" category seems redundant to me and would probably save a line.
  • Take out Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. You graduated with a BS from a state university. They know that you know how to use Office -- it's just fluff on your resume.
  • How proficient are you at Java, C, and C++? Did you take those courses 2-3 years ago or have you kept up using them? If you list them, they're fair game for whiteboard exercises in those languages. If you're going to apply for programming jobs, check out the job-hunting thread in Cavern of COBOL for more specific information. We'll take a crack at your resume over there too. Some people like to list categories of languages like "Proficient", "Familiar", etc.
I'm going to trust you on the formatting stuff, because the Education section looks weird to me. As far as length, don't go to 2 pages. Your experience just isn't strong enough to justify that. Adjust the résumé as needed based on the jobs you're applying to in order to get it to 1. It's fine if you want to keep a comprehensive "long form" one that catalogs all of your experience, but don't hand that out. Trim it down to 1 to suit the application. One idea would be to get rid of Copy Editor and just make Copy Chief's timeline a more vague 2013-2014. If they want exact dates they'll ask.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 21, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

• Having the proper noun "Certification" repeated 3 times in the "Certifications" category seems redundant to me and would probably save a line.
  • Take out Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. You graduated with a BS from a state university. They know that you know how to use Office -- it's just fluff on your resume.
  • How proficient are you at Java, C, and C++? Did you take those courses 2-3 years ago or have you kept up using them? If you list them, they're fair game for whiteboard exercises in those languages. If you're going to apply for programming jobs, check out the job-hunting thread in Cavern of COBOL for more specific information. We'll take a crack at your resume over there too. Some people like to list categories of languages like "Proficient", "Familiar", etc.
I'm going to trust you on the formatting stuff, because the Education section looks weird to me. As far as length, don't go to 2 pages. Your experience just isn't strong enough to justify that. Adjust the résumé as needed based on the jobs you're applying to in order to get it to 1. It's fine if you want to keep a comprehensive "long form" one that catalogs all of your experience, but don't hand that out. Trim it down to 1 to suit the application. One idea would be to get rid of Copy Editor and just make Copy Chief's timeline a more vague 2013-2014. If they want exact dates they'll ask.

Thanks. To answer your question about languages, I regularly work on a personal game development project in C++ these days. I guess it'd be appropriate to put that I'm proficient with C++, and familiar with the others(rusty but could pretty easily get caught up to speed). I'm not actively searching for programming jobs, as I'm not real confident in my ability to get a job without a full CS degree or decent portfolio of personal projects, not having completed anything more complex than a Tetris clone. Right now I'm focusing on finding a decent helpdesk or desktop support job where I can build the experience to realistically seek a coding or higher level IT position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Eschatos posted:

Thanks. To answer your question about languages, I regularly work on a personal game development project in C++ these days. I guess it'd be appropriate to put that I'm proficient with C++, and familiar with the others(rusty but could pretty easily get caught up to speed). I'm not actively searching for programming jobs, as I'm not real confident in my ability to get a job without a full CS degree or decent portfolio of personal projects, not having completed anything more complex than a Tetris clone. Right now I'm focusing on finding a decent helpdesk or desktop support job where I can build the experience to realistically seek a coding or higher level IT position.
Helpdesk and desktop support won't help you land a coding job unless you want to be married to lovely, politically-driven internal IT development projects for the rest of your life. If you want to code, code. The best ways to land a coding job without a CS degree:

• Build a portfolio. If you haven't completed a magnum opus by yourself, that's fine -- most development projects are team efforts. Contribute to some open-source projects and simultaneously prove that you can code and that you can work with other people.
  • Learn on developer communities like Stack Overflow. One thing I really like about the answering side of Q&A is that in the process of explaining something, I usually discover some number of gaps in my own understanding of a subject and fill them in the process of helping others.
  • Network. I don't know where you're located, but most major cities have a healthy community of developer meetups. Go and meet other developers, shoot the poo poo, and if you make the right impressions on the right people, sooner or later one of them will talk to you about some opportunities.
  • Intern. If you can't find something that pays well, try to find some development work with local software shops. Use the above to help you reach out.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Helpdesk and desktop support won't help you land a coding job unless you want to be married to lovely, politically-driven internal IT development projects for the rest of your life. If you want to code, code. The best ways to land a coding job without a CS degree:

• Build a portfolio. If you haven't completed a magnum opus by yourself, that's fine -- most development projects are team efforts. Contribute to some open-source projects and simultaneously prove that you can code and that you can work with other people.
  • Learn on developer communities like Stack Overflow. One thing I really like about the answering side of Q&A is that in the process of explaining something, I usually discover some number of gaps in my own understanding of a subject and fill them in the process of helping others.
  • Network. I don't know where you're located, but most major cities have a healthy community of developer meetups. Go and meet other developers, shoot the poo poo, and if you make the right impressions on the right people, sooner or later one of them will talk to you about some opportunities.
  • Intern. If you can't find something that pays well, try to find some development work with local software shops. Use the above to help you reach out.

I appreciate the advice all around. I should have clarified that I'm not seeking these IT jobs to help with starting a coding career, mostly just to pay the bills while I expand my portfolio and increase my skills on my own time. Your other points are definitely good ideas, though I'll admit I'm not too fond of Stack Overflow.

Anyways, here's the latest resume revision, complete with proper formatting. I've decided to leave in the Office mention, just because most of the postings I'm looking at lately explicitly list skill with Office in their requirements. Might as well check off that box. I figure I can add and remove from the other skills I listed based on job posting requirements. I'm not too sure what other improvements are possible without a full rewrite, maybe put in a little fluff for soft skills or the various work experience descriptions.

Link

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm at the very edge of completing my degree, but my family is a bad place financially and I need to get a job as soon as possible. While I'm also applying to intermediate stuff for a quick buck, I want to drop applications to actually use my degree—in my case, graphic design. I have confidence in my skills and my degree (great program, great networking), but I can only assume it takes more than saying, "Well, I personally think I'm good," to get hired.

Some of my biggest issues include the family troubles and personal troubles have kept me from maintaining a job while going to school, excluding the year on my resume. The companies with positions I seem pretty qualified are often seeking young designers who have already lived the design firm experience, but I've only done in-house work. I have a broad skill set and worked with clients via my college classes regularly, but the projects were small scope. I've done quite a bit of freelancing, too, but I'm not sure how to integrate that into my resume. How do I work toward a resume that makes me look like a designer worth hiring, aside from glorious rainbow colors and shiny bevels?

Resume Draft #1

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

broken pixel posted:

I'm at the very edge of completing my degree, but my family is a bad place financially and I need to get a job as soon as possible. While I'm also applying to intermediate stuff for a quick buck, I want to drop applications to actually use my degree—in my case, graphic design. I have confidence in my skills and my degree (great program, great networking), but I can only assume it takes more than saying, "Well, I personally think I'm good," to get hired.

Some of my biggest issues include the family troubles and personal troubles have kept me from maintaining a job while going to school, excluding the year on my resume. The companies with positions I seem pretty qualified are often seeking young designers who have already lived the design firm experience, but I've only done in-house work. I have a broad skill set and worked with clients via my college classes regularly, but the projects were small scope. I've done quite a bit of freelancing, too, but I'm not sure how to integrate that into my resume. How do I work toward a resume that makes me look like a designer worth hiring, aside from glorious rainbow colors and shiny bevels?

Resume Draft #1
They're helpful for a foot in the door, but resumes are almost useless for creative work. Have one, but don't focus your attention there yet. Put together a portfolio, even if it's of hobby projects, free WordPress themes, pro bono flyers for local businesses, and My Little Pony/Doctor Who mashup colored pencil sketches on DeviantArt.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 23, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

broken pixel posted:

Resume Draft #1

I'm a graphic designer, currently on the job hunt.

One thing I've done that has really set me apart (in my mind) is that I have a ton of side projects besides my day job in a design studio. I have a magazine I organize & design on my own. I used to design DVD covers for a wrestling company. I do volunteer design for a couple charity groups. I spent the last year teaching myself photography.

I haven't actually been hired for anything I've interviewed for yet, but I've made it to the final rounds of selection a few times. Interviewers are always really interested to hear about my side projects, more so than my day job in some cases. They want to see that I'm really passionate about design, since I'm up against hundreds of other designers who all have skill.

So yeah, your resume itself is important, but having a body of work and a portfolio is vital. The resume will get you past the HR person if you list the skills their job posting asks for, but the creative director is going to look at your work to see if you know what you're doing.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Question regarding interviews and temp staffing agencies:

In the last two weeks I have signed on with a number of different staffing agencies in my area, having moved here earlier in the month.

Two days ago I signed on with another one, who asked me to call them yesterday regarding a position they had open that I think my skill set and experience make me perfect for (clerical/admin assistant/purchasing for reference).

On making that call, the staffing rep said that the hiring manager was worried about the distance between where I am and the job site (approximately 30 miles). I told the rep that at one of my last positions I drove 31 miles each way and that I was okay with anything within 40 miles of where I am living. She stated she'd relay that to the manager.

I was thinking of calling the rep again in a few hours as a second follow up, but I don't want to come across as being too pushy. But this is the best lead I've gotten from any of the five agencies, and my nest egg is nearly depleted.

Any advice out there for me or someone in my position down the road?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You want to follow up on a call from yesterday? That's a bit soon. Wait til Monday.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I had a phone interview three weeks ago. I had another today, same company, same interviewer even. He asked the same questions as he did the first time. Is there any reason for this? I was tempted to ask why we were doing this again, like maybe he just forgot about last time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eschatos posted:

I appreciate the advice all around. I should have clarified that I'm not seeking these IT jobs to help with starting a coding career, mostly just to pay the bills while I expand my portfolio and increase my skills on my own time. Your other points are definitely good ideas, though I'll admit I'm not too fond of Stack Overflow.

Anyways, here's the latest resume revision, complete with proper formatting. I've decided to leave in the Office mention, just because most of the postings I'm looking at lately explicitly list skill with Office in their requirements. Might as well check off that box. I figure I can add and remove from the other skills I listed based on job posting requirements. I'm not too sure what other improvements are possible without a full rewrite, maybe put in a little fluff for soft skills or the various work experience descriptions.

Link
You put copy editing as a job responsibility, so I intentionally read your resume looking for gotchas. You have a well-formatted, easy to read resume. I don't think it's holding you back at all. The only thing I noticed is that you sometimes use the Oxford comma and sometimes don't. It's a style choice, but should be consistent.

I agree with leaving the Office proficiencies on the resume. It's assumed that people know that at this point, but it does build confidence in your competency when you show that you know it is important.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

A Kpro posted:

So I had a phone interview three weeks ago. I had another today, same company, same interviewer even. He asked the same questions as he did the first time. Is there any reason for this? I was tempted to ask why we were doing this again, like maybe he just forgot about last time.

The reason is he forgot about last time.

Did you somehow manage to go the whole interview without even a casual mention of three weeks ago?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tirinal posted:

The reason is he forgot about last time.

Did you somehow manage to go the whole interview without even a casual mention of three weeks ago?

I figure if he's been doing this for 10 years, he knows what he's doing. I didn't want to question his interview strategy. Like maybe it was a game to see if I forgot.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

They're helpful for a foot in the door, but resumes are almost useless for creative work. Have one, but don't focus your attention there yet. Put together a portfolio, even if it's of hobby projects, free WordPress themes, pro bono flyers for local businesses, and My Little Pony/Doctor Who mashup colored pencil sketches on DeviantArt.

triplexpac posted:

I'm a graphic designer, currently on the job hunt.

One thing I've done that has really set me apart (in my mind) is that I have a ton of side projects besides my day job in a design studio. I have a magazine I organize & design on my own. I used to design DVD covers for a wrestling company. I do volunteer design for a couple charity groups. I spent the last year teaching myself photography.

I haven't actually been hired for anything I've interviewed for yet, but I've made it to the final rounds of selection a few times. Interviewers are always really interested to hear about my side projects, more so than my day job in some cases. They want to see that I'm really passionate about design, since I'm up against hundreds of other designers who all have skill.

So yeah, your resume itself is important, but having a body of work and a portfolio is vital. The resume will get you past the HR person if you list the skills their job posting asks for, but the creative director is going to look at your work to see if you know what you're doing.

Thanks, guys! I definitely feel like I could do something newer for my portfolio, but I'm always a little unsure. I've been interested in designing some concepts, but I'm dry on tangible projects to release to the public for the moment. It makes me nervous. I have a lot of ideas but I'm never sure where to start or who to connect with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShadowedFlames posted:

Question regarding interviews and temp staffing agencies:

In the last two weeks I have signed on with a number of different staffing agencies in my area, having moved here earlier in the month.

Two days ago I signed on with another one, who asked me to call them yesterday regarding a position they had open that I think my skill set and experience make me perfect for (clerical/admin assistant/purchasing for reference).

On making that call, the staffing rep said that the hiring manager was worried about the distance between where I am and the job site (approximately 30 miles). I told the rep that at one of my last positions I drove 31 miles each way and that I was okay with anything within 40 miles of where I am living. She stated she'd relay that to the manager.

I was thinking of calling the rep again in a few hours as a second follow up, but I don't want to come across as being too pushy. But this is the best lead I've gotten from any of the five agencies, and my nest egg is nearly depleted.

Any advice out there for me or someone in my position down the road?

To run slightly counter to Xandu, staffing agencies only care about putting asses into seats. If you want to make sure that's your rear end in that seat, you have to be persistent and make sure they remember you. Squeaky wheels & grease and all, these guys talk to dozens of people per position and will probably forget you unless you keep reminding them of your existence (or blow them away off the bat with your resume, which is trickier to do).

That said, I wouldn't call back after less than 24 hours. If I called somewhere one morning I might call them again the following afternoon, but if that afternoon is a Friday I'm willing to bet they don't want to talk to you or anyone. Also take all this with a grain a salt, I spoke to over a dozen different recruiters in earnest on my last job hunt and none of them came through for me so maybe I did something wrong.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

broken pixel posted:

Thanks, guys! I definitely feel like I could do something newer for my portfolio, but I'm always a little unsure. I've been interested in designing some concepts, but I'm dry on tangible projects to release to the public for the moment. It makes me nervous. I have a lot of ideas but I'm never sure where to start or who to connect with.

There's no reason to be nervous really, just find stuff you would like to do and do it. When you're just starting out, I feel it's really important just to get in the habit of always working. Your portfolio will end up way better than the people who went to school and then stopped doing any design work, those are the people who end up not getting a job and changing careers.

If all that sounds like way too much work, you might want to think about a different career. Like one of my best friends was a classmate of mine, he's now making way more money than me doing high end security work, and dabbling in Illustrator in his free time every now and then. For some people, design/art is just a hobby.

Sorry for the wall of text, just all of this has been on my mind lately haha. You could try posting in Creative Convention for more specific portfolio review and help. Or feel free to PM me if you have questions.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

To run slightly counter to Xandu, staffing agencies only care about putting asses into seats. If you want to make sure that's your rear end in that seat, you have to be persistent and make sure they remember you. Squeaky wheels & grease and all, these guys talk to dozens of people per position and will probably forget you unless you keep reminding them of your existence (or blow them away off the bat with your resume, which is trickier to do).

That said, I wouldn't call back after less than 24 hours. If I called somewhere one morning I might call them again the following afternoon, but if that afternoon is a Friday I'm willing to bet they don't want to talk to you or anyone. Also take all this with a grain a salt, I spoke to over a dozen different recruiters in earnest on my last job hunt and none of them came through for me so maybe I did something wrong.

That's the same sort of mentality I was looking at. I've had two different companies come right out and say that the posting I applied for (which got me on their radar in the first place) were long gone by the time I came in, which really makes me wonder if they are even worth it.

That said, I understand where Xandu is coming from. If I had a direct line to the client I would certainly wait until after the weekend. As it stands, even though it's Friday I'll likely drop another call to the staffing rep and see where that gets me. Given that I was essentially told to redo my schedule earlier this week for this interview because they were urgently seeking to fill the position (lol, yeah right) perhaps another nudge or two may work.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

I need to send a thank you note to an interviewer. This interviewer is not the hiring manager and not in the same office or department that I would be working in, and the interview itself felt like an afterthought. (Two days notice, with the main interview with the hiring already scheduled two weeks out, no mention of it then).

The interview was pretty informal as interviews go and I have no idea what kind of influence he has in the final decision.

Should I just keep it short and sweet and just thank him for his time, or should I treat it as if he's the one deciding to hire me or not?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Julie And Candy posted:

I need to send a thank you note to an interviewer. This interviewer is not the hiring manager and not in the same office or department that I would be working in, and the interview itself felt like an afterthought. (Two days notice, with the main interview with the hiring already scheduled two weeks out, no mention of it then).

The interview was pretty informal as interviews go and I have no idea what kind of influence he has in the final decision.

Should I just keep it short and sweet and just thank him for his time, or should I treat it as if he's the one deciding to hire me or not?

You should treat any interaction with anyone at a company you're interviewing with as if they have the final and sole decision-making authority. Your outcomes will be much nicer if you do that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Julie And Candy posted:

I'd write it like I intended to work with him every day, and wanted to make a good impression. Professional and succinct.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Resume formatting question - does this look like I took a demotion instead of got a promotion?

I'm at a bank and the job levels are Nothing<Assoc<VP<Exec Dir<Managing Dir.

quote:

Associate Business Analyst, (Jan 2014 - Present)
-blah

Business Analyst, (Jan 2011 - Dec 2013)
-blah

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's not the most standard promotion structure (the standard would be analyst -> associate, not associate analyst), but I don't think anyone would think you got demoted. I think a lot of banks do it like that anyway, you see a lot of VP analysts.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Ok, another question dealing with staffing agencies.

On Friday I spoke with a recruiter regarding a purchasing position. There was no interview with the company, just the recruiter thinking highly of the résumé and asking a few questions standard to most agencies I've been with recently. I've not interviewed with the hiring company.

This morning he asked for further information to satisfy the education requirements of his background check. I know for most companies, the background check is one of the last steps before hiring. I'm not sure how it works with staffing companies.

Should I have cause to be even a little optimistic at this point?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

On Friday I spoke with a recruiter regarding a purchasing position. There was no interview with the company, just the recruiter thinking highly of the résumé and asking a few questions standard to most agencies I've been with recently. I've not interviewed with the hiring company.

This morning he asked for further information to satisfy the education requirements of his background check. I know for most companies, the background check is one of the last steps before hiring. I'm not sure how it works with staffing companies.

I guess. He's just vetting your himself before he puts you in front of a company. You'd still probably be doing the entire rigmarole again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShadowedFlames posted:

"Background check" is a super nebulous term, at least in my experience. I had one recruiter do a background check on me for one potential opening where he called my references and talked to them all at length, relayed their very positive words to me, and then proceeded to do gently caress-all else with my file. Meanwhile the company that did hire me only did a background check after extending an offer (contingent on said background check), and didn't even talk to any of my references as far as I'm aware. Which sucks on the one hand because my references were so strong, but is good on the other hand because I guess I didn't need them to land the job? I don't even know what they looked for other than to make sure I am who I said I am.

Basically what NBS said, it's a good sign but you have a ways to go.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I have a question about helping in the hiring process instead of getting hired. My manager has asked me to interview a potential teammate. They've included me in the email thread discussing salary for the candidate. (The candidate is not part of this thread.) Exact numbers have been discussed. This is all before I've even interviewed them. It seems... Odd considering they will be my teammate.

I suspect this is perfectly legal (I'm in Washington state,) but it strikes me as pretty ethically tacky. Or am I just being overly sensitive?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So I have a phone interview tomorrow and there's a problem with the ~salary expectations~ question.

I'm moving from one major metropolitan area to another (slightly more expensive->slightly cheaper) and my field pays quite differently in the new city. My previous full time was ~$58k base, but Glassdoor is saying this new employer is ~$72k for a handful of respondents in the same part of the career timeline, with $64k average for the field in the city.

...how do I handle this? Should I just say it's negotiable and wait if/until they offer me something? What if they 'demand' a number? It's a big salary jump to trust to an internet source and I don't want to offend with some crazy misinformed salary suggestion.

This whole song and dance is exhausting when combined with a move.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Resume formatting question - does this look like I took a demotion instead of got a promotion?

I'm at a bank and the job levels are Nothing<Assoc<VP<Exec Dir<Managing Dir.
If I just saw that titles, I would assume a demotion. That's because in my industry, Chemistry, Associate Chemist is always lower than a Chemist title. Your industry may be different. But you can clearly show your increased responsibilities in the bullet points to clarify that yes, it was a promotion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I have a question about helping in the hiring process instead of getting hired. My manager has asked me to interview a potential teammate. They've included me in the email thread discussing salary for the candidate. (The candidate is not part of this thread.) Exact numbers have been discussed. This is all before I've even interviewed them. It seems... Odd considering they will be my teammate.

I suspect this is perfectly legal (I'm in Washington state,) but it strikes me as pretty ethically tacky. Or am I just being overly sensitive?
Your right to discuss compensation with your coworkers is protected under the National Labor Relations Act. This is the exact opposite of confidential information, despite the best efforts of HR departments.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BadSamaritan posted:

So I have a phone interview tomorrow and there's a problem with the ~salary expectations~ question.

I'm moving from one major metropolitan area to another (slightly more expensive->slightly cheaper) and my field pays quite differently in the new city. My previous full time was ~$58k base, but Glassdoor is saying this new employer is ~$72k for a handful of respondents in the same part of the career timeline, with $64k average for the field in the city.

...how do I handle this? Should I just say it's negotiable and wait if/until they offer me something? What if they 'demand' a number? It's a big salary jump to trust to an internet source and I don't want to offend with some crazy misinformed salary suggestion.

This whole song and dance is exhausting when combined with a move.
Salary negotiation is complicated, and based on power dynamics (i.e. how much your employer wants you versus how much you want your employer). You may hold the leverage, or your employer may hold the leverage, or you may be on an even keel. Google has a different pool of candidates than a local 20-employee non-profit. Your first step is to feel this out. In general, you should feel safe naming a number near the statistical median for a position, unless the company is a not-for-profit or a university or something else that traditionally doesn't match salary with revenue-generating companies. Be aware of what a high salary in that area looks like.

If you decline to name a number, a typical wording is something like "I'd prefer to evaluate the compensation package as a whole rather than just the base salary." Most companies don't like to waste time interviewing people who turn down an offer at the eleventh hour due to compensation, though, so do be aware that this works best at companies who aren't getting a lot of talent applying for the position. (Supply and demand.)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

Most companies don't like to waste time interviewing people who turn down an offer at the eleventh hour due to compensation, though, so do be aware that this works best at companies who aren't getting a lot of talent applying for the position. (Supply and demand.)
If you get a compensation package offer at all, they've already decided they want to hire you. So, you never have more power for negotiation on salary than at the eleventh hour. Sure they may not like it. But it's better to close on you than start over from square one. That's why you should never throw out the first number. Because once you do, you cap out your potential. If you're willing to walk away at the eleventh hour, you hold the power.

And like we've already pointed out in this thread, if you negotiate for more money up front, your employers are more likely to perceive you as valuable and deserving of future raises.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Your right to discuss compensation with your coworkers is protected under the National Labor Relations Act. This is the exact opposite of confidential information, despite the best efforts of HR departments.

Management is discussing a potential co-workers compensation with me. I won't be above this coworker in any way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Dik Hz posted:

And like we've already pointed out in this thread, if you negotiate for more money up front, your employers are more likely to perceive you as valuable and deserving of future raises.

Another way of looking at it: the initial negotiation phase is quite possibly the biggest raise you'll ever get.

Say an employer is aiming to hire someone and their range is 50-60k. If they start with 50k and you talk them up to the top of their budget, that's a 20% raise. When would you ever get a 20% raise?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I finally got my offer, after 4 months of waiting (since I first heard of the position) and three interviews. I got a little pay bump, and it seems like an incredible opportunity. It's a mega-corporation, so just be patient - and be yourself, and be flexible. There were pretty much no technical questions... Just walking through my resume and then talking about myself and personality. So don't freak out if it takes a while. It's a long corporate process. :)

Woohoo!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I'm in healthcare in a licensed profession, and my previous (and first!) job was union so there was no room for negotiation. I got a lot of valuable experience in my 2 years there, but it was a pretty miserable workplace. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around asking for a rate above what the people with 15+ years of experience got at my last job and I don't want to mess this up using bad information.

Really, as long as I'm getting paid market rate for the new city it will be a raise for me, I just don't want to screw myself over a significant increase by not pushing initially. Hospitals aren't really big on giving raises over cost of living adjustments, and the market I came from only gave periodic, less than COL adjustments as negotiated by the union so I'm assuming the worst.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is going to be so horrified and disgusted that they'll immediately end the process if you ask for more money than they are offering.

Like yesterday I had a phone interview, the guy kept pressing me for a number. So I threw out 60k, he said his budget was 45-50 but implied there was room to negotiate. I said great, money isn't my #1 priority right now in my job hunt, what I'm really looking for is a new job that is a step forward in my career.

We continued on with the interview, everything was fine.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is going to be so horrified and disgusted that they'll immediately end the process if you ask for more money than they are offering.

Like yesterday I had a phone interview, the guy kept pressing me for a number. So I threw out 60k, he said his budget was 45-50 but implied there was room to negotiate. I said great, money isn't my #1 priority right now in my job hunt, what I'm really looking for is a new job that is a step forward in my career.

We continued on with the interview, everything was fine.
60k isn't an instant dealbreaker for someone whose budget is 50k. Try throwing out 95k to someone with the same budget and a big pool of candidates next time and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Vulture Culture posted:

60k isn't an instant dealbreaker for someone whose budget is 50k. Try throwing out 95k to someone with the same budget and a big pool of candidates next time and see how it goes.

Haha true, I was thinking you would have a rough idea of what the position pays ahead of time though.