Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I can't help but wonder if the script originally said "The IQ of a whack-a-mole" and something got lost in poor penmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Wasn't there at least one Lantern who did not understand the concept of 'Light' thanks to his home's conditions so they had to phrase it as 'Sound' instead? I think it's even around here somewhere...

Yeah, Rot Lop Fan, from a story by Alan Moore. Instead of a green lantern, he used a F-sharp bell for his insignia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bloodly posted:

Wasn't there at least one Lantern who did not understand the concept of 'Light' thanks to his home's conditions so they had to phrase it as 'Sound' instead? I think it's even around here somewhere...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

delfin posted:

More Head Trauma Hal:

(Flash v1 #246)

I'm going to assume that Hal was too embarrassed to mention this one when the Oans picked Woodrue to be one of the New Guardians...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Selachian posted:

Yeah, Rot Lop Fan, from a story by Alan Moore. Instead of a green lantern, he used a F-sharp bell for his insignia.

It's a cool concept, but how do you form sound into things? I guess he could still blast things, but a lot of the GL powers seem to come from imagining an item and then creating it through willpower. I want to see how Rot Lop Fan deals with a threat when all he can "visualize" or process are sounds and other, tertiary senses. I'm not a Green Lantern scholar, so maybe it's already been addressed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If he's ever shown up again, it was in panel backgrounds, and you're asking a question about magic space rings, so stop trying to make sense of it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's kind of a weird question. I mean, blind people are perfectly capable of imagining things, albeit not in the same way people who rely predominantly on sight do. All he has to do is imagine something in his way and then use his willpower to create that from the ring's energy, which is what all Lanterns do. Obviously it might seem bizarre or difficult to interpret to a sight-based lantern, but there isn't any reason that his imagined boxing glove punching you in the head would be functionally any different from Hal's.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Excuse me, his name is Rot Lop Fan, thank you very much.

E: gently caress, dogpiled.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

"Better not tell him about how his ring doesn't work on yellow things"

So eventually, this dude's gonna die when he can't move an object and has absolutely no idea why.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

theflyingorc posted:

"Better not tell him about how his ring doesn't work on yellow things"

So eventually, this dude's gonna die when he can't move an object and has absolutely no idea why.

muscles like this? posted:

Nothing about how the ring chooses people based on intelligence, its just "without fear" and "honest."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So how would you explain yellow to someone with no concept of colour, or what colour or light even are?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
"Sometimes your ring won't work for some unknown arbitrary reason. Just a heads up, something to be aware of."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Opopanax posted:

So how would you explain yellow to someone with no concept of colour, or what colour or light even are?

Well yellow is about cowardice right? So you'd explain it as a scared sound.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Opopanax posted:

Assuming his people are decently advanced scientifically -

You're aware of electromagnetic radiation? Well, for some reason, this one really specific band of it causes massive issues with your ring - any object emitting it keeps your ring from working.

Yeah, we don't get why either.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

djw175 posted:

Well yellow is about cowardice right? So you'd explain it as a scared sound.

Oh gently caress me, I now get why Yellow is the weakness.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh gently caress me, I now get why Yellow is the weakness.

Well, it's been retconned.

At various points it's been:
plot device just so that GL wasn't undefeatable
flaw specifically put in place by the Guardians to keep the Corps under control
Issue caused by Parallax being trapped in the great power battery of Oa
mental block of the Corps thinking it's going to not work, so it doesn't
something or other else

I'm not sure what the current status of this is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TheCenturion posted:

Well, it's been retconned.

At various points it's been:
plot device just so that GL wasn't undefeatable
flaw specifically put in place by the Guardians to keep the Corps under control
Issue caused by Parallax being trapped in the great power battery of Oa
mental block of the Corps thinking it's going to not work, so it doesn't
something or other else

I'm not sure what the current status of this is.

That's pretty clearly the reason that it was yellow originally, considering that "fear" as a concept has been wrapped up in GL for a long time. Which would make explaining it to sound guy that much harder.

It's also the reason why I dream of the day DC publishes the greatest conflict of all time "Green Lantern VS Big Bird".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I like the idea that it's all in their heads, and since she didn't tell the blind lantern about it, he'll just never have an issue with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Well, Katma Tui managed to explain the color green to him well enough that he could assign a note that feels similar, so I'm sure she could explain yellow.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Keeshhound posted:

I like the idea that it's all in their heads, and since she didn't tell the blind lantern about it, he'll just never have an issue with it.

The idea of it being in their heads didn't show up until like 20 years later.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

How was she able to see into the future? :monocle:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When Hal first got the ring Abin Sur's explanation was that there was an impurity in the lantern that caused the weakness and removing the impurity caused the lantern to not work.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

theflyingorc posted:

Man, has it really been that loving long? I really just meant in a serendipitous sense though; like just by random coincidence, the lantern who inducted him being lazy and irresponsible wound up saving him from having to deal with a boatload of "I can't do anything to yellow stuff!" bullshit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Keeshhound posted:

Man, has it really been that loving long? I really just meant in a serendipitous sense though; like just by random coincidence, the lantern who inducted him being lazy and irresponsible wound up saving him from having to deal with a boatload of "I can't do anything to yellow stuff!" bullshit.

Remember when Batman pained a room and himself yellow so he could beat the poo poo out of Hal?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember when Batman pained a room and himself yellow so he could beat the poo poo out of Hal?

I picture the anti-Lantern dossier just being a bunch of paint swatches.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

muscles like this? posted:

When Hal first got the ring Abin Sur's explanation was that there was an impurity in the lantern that caused the weakness and removing the impurity caused the lantern to not work.

Now I'm picturing Hal getting frustrated because he considers certain shades to be more orange than yellow and STUPID RING THAT IS DARK GOLDENROD AT BEST

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

bobkatt013 posted:

theflyingorc posted:

It's also the reason why I dream of the day DC publishes the greatest conflict of all time "Green Lantern VS Big Bird".

I now envision Batman's last resort plan for Hal is wearing the Big Bird suit altered to be the Big Bat suit with the little spiky bat ears and his scowling cowl over Big Bird's face, and a bat symbol on the chest but no other major changes.

'I AM BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LETTER B' while doing his kung fu side kicks with the ribbed orange legs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

John Dyne posted:

I now envision Batman's last resort plan for Hal is wearing the Big Bird suit altered to be the Big Bat suit with the little spiky bat ears and his scowling cowl over Big Bird's face, and a bat symbol on the chest but no other major changes.

'I AM BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LETTER B' while doing his kung fu side kicks with the ribbed orange legs.

All Star Batman 9

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Hal's going to realize that the glass the lemonade is in is clear, not yellow, and smash it into Batman's face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hal is not that clever, and no, that's not quite what happens.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Endless Mike posted:

Change my vote from "is" to "should, if he weren't an idiot"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

All Star Batman 9

Is that the smartass Robin? He looks like a little smartass, with his ice cream and his smirk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, things don't go well for Hal, very shortly.

prefect posted:

Is that the smartass Robin? He looks like a little smartass, with his ice cream and his smirk.
It's Dick.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

prefect posted:

When I was looking for this page, I saw a page or two later where Batman throws and punches Robin while calling him a "stupid little snot". Twice.

Our hero, everyone!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

When I was looking for this page, I saw a page or two later where Batman throws and punches Robin while calling him a "stupid little snot". Twice.

Our hero, everyone!

Here is him threatening to break his neck

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Uthor posted:

Our hero, everyone!

I actually really like All Star Batman and Robin, and when I let my friend read it, he characterized Batman as basically being the Joker in a cowl without all the clown gear.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is him threatening to break his neck

What did he do to Green Lantern to require a tracheotomy? Also, who's in the narration boxes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

What did he do to Green Lantern to require a tracheotomy? Also, who's in the narration boxes?

Dick...chops him in the throat, I think? Dick is the narrator.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

10 Beers posted:

I actually really like All Star Batman and Robin, and when I let my friend read it, he characterized Batman as basically being the Joker in a cowl without all the clown gear.

I enjoyed it for how ridiculous it was, but I wouldn't call it "good".

Was ASBaR the one where Robin spends like two issues in the Batmobile and his face gets put on a milk carton before Batman even gets back to the Batcave from Gotham City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Uthor posted:

I enjoyed it for how ridiculous it was, but I wouldn't call it "good".

Was ASBaR the one where Robin spends like two issues in the Batmobile and his face gets put on a milk carton before Batman even gets back to the Batcave from Gotham City?

Yeah that sounds about right.