Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zidane is confirmed as an rear end man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Zidane is confirmed as an rear end man.

If I remember correctly, he also makes a comment about Ruby's chest in Disc 3. He flirts with anything including Lani, which is a great interaction

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of videogame characters whose chest is as in your face as Lani's. Hell, I can't stop looking at it and I'm gay as poo poo. That's impressive.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 28, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of videogame characters whose chest is as in your face as Lani's. Hell, I can't stop looking at it and I'm gay as poo poo. That's impressive.

Wait, I thought you were female, and thus being gay as poo poo would be a help in that case rather than a hindrance. Or am I mistaken and you're a guy? I might be thinking of someone else (probably Camel Pimp, who I thought was a dude at first and later learned was female).

One of these days I'll get on inventing that device that identifies the gender of everyone on the internet. I'll be rich! Up until I'm murdered by a horde of angry GIRLs that got pissed that I killed their trolling gimmick, but so it goes.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bufuman posted:

One of these days I'll get on inventing that device that identifies the gender of everyone on the internet. I'll be rich! Up until I'm murdered by a horde of angry GIRLs that got pissed that I killed their trolling gimmick, but so it goes.

Problem with that is that for most goons, it'll just return "porpoise".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh Zidane, I know I shouldn't be approving of this but I just can't help it :3:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
You're in control on the ladder, right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VagueRant posted:

You're in control on the ladder, right?

That's all cut scene

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Zidane's always in control, baby.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Seafood posted:

Zidane's always in control, baby.

He can't even control Lil' Zidane!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rarity posted:

That's all cut scene
Generally in any FMV where there's character models you can control Zidane. You can make him go up and down the ladder even if you only see your efforts over like, 10 seconds. It's something FFIX does a lot of.

The butt touching's scripted though. The next section has more to do with it that sorta shows character with it, for instance, Zidane 'complimenting' what is an accident/contrived happenstance rather than apologizing for it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Edward_Tohr posted:

Problem with that is that for most goons, it'll just return "porpoise".

And then Tumblr would lynch you

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I love how Steiner is such a horrible liar. But he's trying hard, too! :3:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm pretty sure "Ooo, soft..." is the "This guy are sick" of FFIX, the one line everyone remembers.

Also here's the concept art of the three trances so far, don't think Dagger has had one yet.

Steiner could probably just kick enemies to death with those pointy metal shoes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I like that Vivi's trance has his floppy hat pop straight up. :3:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vivi looks straight-up dapper in his Trance outfit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

Wait, I thought you were female, and thus being gay as poo poo would be a help in that case rather than a hindrance. Or am I mistaken and you're a guy? I might be thinking of someone else (probably Camel Pimp, who I thought was a dude at first and later learned was female).

Nope. I am indeed a guy. Born and bred. I even drink beer and yell at hockey players and everything. Don't worry, apparently Leavemywife thought I was a woman too.

I like Vivi's Trance outfit, especially when you think about it for a minute. It's induced by a surge of powerful emotions. Poor kid REALLY wants that hat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Steiner's Trance is menacing as hell, no wonder he's the Captain. I'm glad they wrote in Zidane seeing straight through Steiner, I like competent characters. I also think BW#2's script is neat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Huh. Never knew trance concept art was available. Cool find, thanks for sharing.

Considering how much of Steiner and Vivi's respective character arcs revolve around their underlying doubts and feelings of inadequacy, I appreciate their trance forms making both of them absurdly competent and confident. Vivi's timid, Steiner's bumbling, but when the chips are down they deliver in style.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The next boss is going to be Black Waltz #4, and everyone's gonna be running around looking for #3. Classic.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Fister Roboto posted:

The next boss is going to be Black Waltz #4, and everyone's gonna be running around looking for #3. Classic.
:golfclap: bravo good sir, you are indeed smarter than the entire Alexandrian force.

zfleeman posted:

I love little scenario-specific combat sequences in JRPGs. Programming BW2 to not damage Dagger shows the narrative in the code. Cool.
It's always really nice to see that because it's one of the rare moments that story actually crosses over into gameplay. Most of the time gameplay and story are kept pretty separate with no inclination of each other. But then you have moments where an enemy very specifically targets/doesn't target a character and it's really great on a thematic level. Even the fact that Zidane has a SPECIFIC ABILITY called "Protect Girls" is awesome because it's basically just Cover that only works with certain people in the party. This game is really great about giving personality even in combat.

Rarity posted:

He can't even control Lil' Zidane!
Okay that made me laugh too hard, goddammit Rarity.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 28, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
There isn't any Black Waltz #3. Black Waltz #4 is so powerful, he just skips right over #3.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mega64 posted:

H-Hey! Is that scary guy in armor running toward US!?

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

"Mega64 posted:

But after that he actually charges us now. I'd pay again but I spent most of my money on Wrists for some reason.

Gee, I wonder what the reason for this is? :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of this.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
For some reason I thought Zidane was a female up until like the middle of disc 2 or something (to be fair, I gave him an androgynous name and didn't pay attention to his original name in the game). I was very confused until I realized he was male.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Bad Seafood posted:

Huh. Never knew trance concept art was available. Cool find, thanks for sharing.

Considering how much of Steiner and Vivi's respective character arcs revolve around their underlying doubts and feelings of inadequacy, I appreciate their trance forms making both of them absurdly competent and confident. Vivi's timid, Steiner's bumbling, but when the chips are down they deliver in style.

It really says a lot about the art that the switching from a droopy hat to a pointy hat can convey a character's attitude.

I like that the characters get different designs when they enter trance, even if the actual designs is lacking (Zidane's makes sense later, but I still don't like it).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Steiner might have my favorite Trance art. He just looks goddamned terrifying like that.

Which is fitting, since triple damage from him is like being shot with a tank's cannon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It should noted that Steiner's trance only affects his Attack command, and not any of his special attacks or Sword Magic. His physical attacks do get the general +50% trance bonus though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

It should noted that Steiner's trance only affects his Attack command, and not any of his special attacks or Sword Magic.

Which is okay since his Attack command will end up doing more damage, for free, than all but one of his special attacks and pretty much all Sword Magic.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It should noted that Steiner's trance only affects his Attack command, and not any of his special attacks or Sword Magic. His physical attacks do get the general +50% trance bonus though.

A funny thing to note, to the best of my recollection, is that if you use MP Attack, the bonus from that is added on BEFORE the trance triples his damage. Fun times with high damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TravelLog posted:

A funny thing to note, to the best of my recollection, is that if you use MP Attack, the bonus from that is added on BEFORE the trance triples his damage. Fun times with high damage.

The order doesn't matter since it's all multiplied together. But yeah, that adds up to 4.5 multiplier. Add a killer ability and an elemental weakness with an elemental boost from equipment, and you get a little over 15x normal damage.

I wish this game didn't have a damage cap.

KataraniSword posted:

Which is okay since his Attack command will end up doing more damage, for free, than all but one of his special attacks and pretty much all Sword Magic.

It's even better than that one attack, since special attacks don't get affected by MP Attack or killer abilities. But it's kind of moot because you'll probably be hitting 9999 with either one.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2015

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

It really is a bit bullshit that enemy HP only goes up to ~65k, since it robs a lot of encounters of their difficulty. It is funny that the award for highest HP in the game at 65,535 belongs to Quale and the freaking friendly Yan.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TravelLog posted:

It really is a bit bullshit that enemy HP only goes up to ~65k, since it robs a lot of encounters of their difficulty. It is funny that the award for highest HP in the game at 65,535 belongs to Quale and the freaking friendly Yan.

The other things have fancy death animations that are technically spells. Otherwise the enemy just has a death rattle and fall over.

So while Dragon Mask goes down in like 180 damage, he really has 10,180 and casts the animation of the mask splitting and chiding the crew at less than 10k. BW #1 doesn't and has the normal fall-over and rattle.

That's why most bosses don't break 55,535. They have to be able to have fancy deaths.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And trust me. 55,535 doesn't seem like a lot? With harder bosses you will legitimately have trouble dealing that damage unless you're minmaxed to the gills, just because so many of your rounds will be spent healing up what they do to you. 55,535 HP is still six 9999 attacks, and no attacks in the game hit more than once, to my knowledge, not counting DblBlk. Battles of attrition will still happen, but they'll generally be shorter and much more a show of how quick you can get back up than anything else.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Very cool trivia. Thanks OFS.

KataraniSword posted:

And trust me. 55,535 doesn't seem like a lot? With harder bosses you will legitimately have trouble dealing that damage unless you're minmaxed to the gills, just because so many of your rounds will be spent healing up what they do to you. 55,535 HP is still six 9999 attacks, and no attacks in the game hit more than once, to my knowledge, not counting DblBlk. Battles of attrition will still happen, but they'll generally be shorter and much more a show of how quick you can get back up than anything else.

Believe me, I know how horrific things like Ozma are. The criticism was more aimed at bosses who have interesting encounter designs but are end up being killed in two hits and that would end after a single turn if you didn't want to steal all their stuff. A great example of encounter design in my mind is Tantarian, with its page gimmick. It takes low damage when closed which makes the encounter take more than a turn or two, as compared with several disc other disc two bosses that can be speedily annihilated by a few concerted attacks; a special mention here goes to Soulcage who dies to a Phoenix Down/Life + Attack. Ozma's scripting means the encounter is a total luckfest, but other encounters could be genuinely more interesting than a damage race as you've described.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The other things have fancy death animations that are technically spells. Otherwise the enemy just has a death rattle and fall over.

So while Dragon Mask goes down in like 180 damage, he really has 10,180 and casts the animation of the mask splitting and chiding the crew at less than 10k. BW #1 doesn't and has the normal fall-over and rattle.

That's why most bosses don't break 55,535. They have to be able to have fancy deaths.

If its good enough for Final Fantasy V, it's good enough for IX.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I dont mind the low hp, it was kinda refreshing after the past two games being all about crazy multipe 9999 hit summons and limit breaks.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

e: Redacted due to wrongness.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Sum Mors posted:

Besides Dbl Blk, you can also reflect a multi targetted spell against all 4 of your party members to break the damage cap, iirc.

That was how my late-game boiled down to in the last dungeon :v: specially since I was in the mindset all game to "buy better equipment, sell weaker equipment"...oh god what was pre-teen me thinking back then!?

Also, IMO, what made FF9 good was that the main character wasn't some sort of emo gently caress face like Cloud and Squall were. Zidane in comparison is a ball of fuckin sunshine wrapped up in a skirt chaser who knows how to be a genuinely good person. I mean he -does- have a few moments, but those are like, way into disk 3 territory.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 29, 2015

• Locked thread