Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pointers
Sep 4, 2008

i wondered if/when that was going to hit this thread. the original is http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ubers-phantom-cabs?update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pointers posted:

i wondered if/when that was going to hit this thread. the original is http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ubers-phantom-cabs?update
ha ha wow

is there anything uber does that isnt precisely calculated to rip everyone else involved off?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

ha ha wow

is there anything uber does that isnt precisely calculated to rip everyone else involved off?

Its almost like theyre a company trying to make money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sponsored Listening, is now available to all advertisers. The product gives Pandora users an hour of uninterrupted listening following their engagement with a brand’s video or rich media unit at the beginning of their session. This launch follows a beta period initiated in September 2014 during which Sponsored Listening received positive feedback from Pandora’s listeners and produced a measurable return on investment for advertisers.

During the beta testing period for the product, Sponsored Listening resulted in a 12 percent lift in brand awareness and a 30 percent lift in purchase intent for advertisers. Consumers also praised the product via Twitter and Facebook, stating that they loved the experience.

“As the competition for consumer attention continues to intensify, brands are looking for advertising products that can help them create a lasting impression and resonate with their target audiences,” said Lizzie Widhelm, Pandora’s senior vice president of advertising product strategy and sales. “Sponsored Listening enhances our suite of engagement-based advertising solutions by building on products such as Brand Stations, and is another manifestation of our philosophy that what’s good for the listener is good for the advertiser.”

In addition to being available for all Pandora advertisers, Sponsored Listening now also offers advertisers more creative opportunity. In the beta phase, video ad units or swipe-able slideshows initiated the hour of uninterrupted listening. Now, with general availability, a brand can also introduce additional rich media units, such as interactive 360-degree product views, in advance of the sponsored hour. In addition to advertisers like Land Rover North America that have extended from the beta phase to general availability, new brands leveraging Pandora’s Sponsored Listening solution post-beta include: Corona Extra, Gatorade, truTV and Yuengling.

“The Sponsored Listening offering is unique, and we jumped at the opportunity to align with this attention-based service during the launch of the new Discovery Sport,” said Kim Kyaw, digital marketing and social media manager at Land Rover North America. “Pandora’s Sponsored Listening product allowed consumers to engage with the vehicle – by watching a video or by interacting with a 360 degree unit – for at least 15 seconds. Opportunities to engage with our consumers around new vehicle launches within premium listening environments are difficult to find.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i loving love engaging w/ my favorite brands

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't wait to ENGAGE WITH MY FAVORITE BRANDS when I see the new film about video games PIXELS

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

how likely is it that that 'praise' on Facebook and Twitter was generated by a 'click here to like us and get an extra hour of uninterrupted music' button?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Drivers are shown a map of “surge zones,” which ostensibly reflect the demand for rides in different parts of the city at a given time. While this ishow the company frames it, it actually isn’t the case in practice. According to its patents, Uber generates surge based on the projected demand of riders at some point in the future. When it works, this system produces low latency—a rider requesting a car can get one quickly. When it doesn’t, drivers can spend precious time and gas in a neighborhood with no or slow demand. The suppliers get to see only what a system expects the state of the market to be, and not the market itself.

Demand is also walled off from supply. When you open the Uber app as a rider, you see a map of your local pickup area, with little sedans around that appear to be drivers available for a request. While you might assume these reflect an accurate picture of market supply, the way drivers are configured in Uber’s marketplace can be misleading. According to Rosenblat and Stark, the presence of those virtual cars on the passenger’s screen does not necessarily reflect an accurate number of drivers who are physically present or their precise locations. Instead, these phantom cars are part of a “visual effect” that Uber uses to emphasize the proximity of drivers to passengers. Not surprisingly, the visual effect shows cars nearby, even when they might not actually exist.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm an Engagement Engineer

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

Sponsored Listening, is now available to all advertisers. The product gives Pandora users an hour of uninterrupted listening following their engagement with a brand’s video or rich media unit at the beginning of their session. This launch follows a beta period initiated in September 2014 during which Sponsored Listening received positive feedback from Pandora’s listeners and produced a measurable return on investment for advertisers.

During the beta testing period for the product, Sponsored Listening resulted in a 12 percent lift in brand awareness and a 30 percent lift in purchase intent for advertisers. Consumers also praised the product via Twitter and Facebook, stating that they loved the experience.

“As the competition for consumer attention continues to intensify, brands are looking for advertising products that can help them create a lasting impression and resonate with their target audiences,” said Lizzie Widhelm, Pandora’s senior vice president of advertising product strategy and sales. “Sponsored Listening enhances our suite of engagement-based advertising solutions by building on products such as Brand Stations, and is another manifestation of our philosophy that what’s good for the listener is good for the advertiser.”

In addition to being available for all Pandora advertisers, Sponsored Listening now also offers advertisers more creative opportunity. In the beta phase, video ad units or swipe-able slideshows initiated the hour of uninterrupted listening. Now, with general availability, a brand can also introduce additional rich media units, such as interactive 360-degree product views, in advance of the sponsored hour. In addition to advertisers like Land Rover North America that have extended from the beta phase to general availability, new brands leveraging Pandora’s Sponsored Listening solution post-beta include: Corona Extra, Gatorade, truTV and Yuengling.

“The Sponsored Listening offering is unique, and we jumped at the opportunity to align with this attention-based service during the launch of the new Discovery Sport,” said Kim Kyaw, digital marketing and social media manager at Land Rover North America. “Pandora’s Sponsored Listening product allowed consumers to engage with the vehicle – by watching a video or by interacting with a 360 degree unit – for at least 15 seconds. Opportunities to engage with our consumers around new vehicle launches within premium listening environments are difficult to find.”

you know between this and the office bathroom horror stories on the page before i think capitalism might not be all thats cracked up to be

i have this sudden urge to vote for bernie sandals

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

hang people who use language like this

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
12 percent lift in brand awareness

30 percent lift in purchase intent.

i hope someone got a sweet bonus for that cause holy moly that's a lotta brand awareness

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i hope someone got a sweet bonus for that cause holy moly that's a lotta brand awareness

nothing from nothing leaves nothing

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

prefect posted:

this is not the way it's been perceived anywhere i've been. showing up early is worthless, because nobody is around to see it; staying late is what makes you a "hard worker" :smith:

you have to get in early, then raise a bunch of issues, and be like "WHERE IS EVERYONE? WHY CANT ANYONE FIX THESE ISSUES?"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
we're basically quickly homing in on this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the Widhelm scream

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zaxxon posted:

you have to get in early, then raise a bunch of issues, and be like "WHERE IS EVERYONE? WHY CANT ANYONE FIX THESE ISSUES?"

just log in from home and respond to a bunch of emails really early duh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lol

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

if this happens i hope "poopdonalds" works

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

just log in from home and respond to a bunch of emails really early duh

my previous employer was working on getting lync mobile working and everyone was super stocked because it meant they could take 2+ hour lunches and roll in whenever because they'd always appear online in lync and they get their emails on their phones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

"purchase intent" is the scammiest statistic since there's probably a 0% increase in purchases

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

How the gently caress does a start up only cost 30k. Salary is more than that

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
amazon phone posting

had to go two floors down

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
For some reason my Pandora never plays ads, I think it's because I was an early adopter or something :shrug:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

if you end this ad now, you will become more aware of the brand than you could possibly imagine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you know there's ad people who watched ep 2 of black mirror and were like "yes!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i'm an Engagement Engineer

my wedding invitations should've said this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

How the gently caress does a start up only cost 30k. Salary is more than that

my start-up cost less than that to start but we only formed because the customer wanted us to

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

my fav thing about this patent is that it returns the viewer to his shootmans program

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my fav thing about this patent is that it returns the viewer to his shootmans program

we're going to end up somewhere worse than idiocracy, aren't we

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

we can only hope that violent revolution and the death of capitalism happens first

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

we can only hope that violent revolution and the death of capitalism happens first

our own death will probably happen before that, but after that it'll all be the same to us anyway so why worry

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
violent revolutions don't tend to result in a more leftwing state of affairs hth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the grimdark future there are only brands, ravenous brands roaming the countryside hungering for engagement while what little remains of humanity shivers in the dark, sending out sacrifices from their subterranean hovels to appease the brands boundless hunger, if only for another fiscal year

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

in the grimdark future there are only brands, ravenous brands roaming the countryside hungering for engagement while what little remains of humanity shivers in the dark, sending out sacrifices from their subterranean hovels to appease the brands boundless hunger, if only for another fiscal year

it was the year of the whopper...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the great thing about the sony :yayclod: :burger: patent is that it means that sony can block anyone else from doing what is described in the patent.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vizio has made its name with impressive value-priced TVs that don’t skimp on features (it’s also a leader in the soundbar market, and has made attempts at selling tablets and phones too). According to the filing, Vizio has sold more than 15 million smart TVs, with about 61 percent of them connected as of the end of June. While viewers are benefiting from those connections, streaming over 3 billion hours of content, Vizio says it’s watching them too, with Inscape software embedded in the screens that can track anything you’re playing on it — even if it’s from cable TV, videogame systems and streaming devices.

We’ve never heard of Inscape before, but as explained in the S-1 Vizio filed today, it’s based on ACR (automatic content recognition) software licensed from a third party, and viewers can opt-out of participating in it while maintaining other connected features. That’s actually fairly common in modern TVs, and others like LG and Samsung have already rolled out features based on the tech to do things like integrate with TV shows, or display ads based on what the TV is showing. ACR software recognizes the video being displayed, matches it up and phones home the data. According to Vizio, its Inscape platform can pull some 100 billion anonymized datapoints from 8 million of its connected TVs every day. That kind of data can be used for ratings, and is valuable to both advertisers and content providers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

i can't wait for the oculus rift

https://vimeo.com/14533403

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

is there a collection of these somewhere? i would like to see all of them. peace and god bless.

• Locked thread