Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

In other TG industry news, Ken Whitman of d20 Entertainment blocked Jolly Blackburn from the KODT Live Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/jolly.blackburn/posts/10203949857901408

Why does this matter? Jolly Blackburn runs Kenzer Company, the people that own the Knights of the Dinner Table. The KODT web series is supposed to have a screening at Gen Con this year. It will be very interesting if Ken shows up for it.

Well I suppose if you're gonna burn your bridges you might as well burn all of'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Kenzer have a pretty good rep overall.

I don't trust their webshop though, I have been buying the KODT PDF collections and my credit card got jacked several times over that period.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Pope Guilty posted:

Does Jolly have a good reputation? I always loved KODT.

Jolly's got a pretty good reputation in the industry. Whitman has a shockingly terrible reputation, so I was pretty surprised that Jolly & Kenzer got into bed with him. Whitman's taken about $170k over 4 or 5 kickstarters, none of which he's delivered on (and how the hell do people throw nearly 40k on pencil dice).

He has a long string of failures and a terrible attitude. I feel bad for Jolly and the backers, but ten minutes on google would have thrown up a lot of red flags.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently everyone's been unblocked from the Facebook group after everything went public.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was the one who mentioned Whitman before, and I don't even know why he was ever in charge of a Kenzer-related Facebook group. I'm frankly baffled that any longstanding, professional company in the business would work with him. How did he worm his way into being in charge of Kickstarters for KoDT and Larry Elmore?

Also LOL at calling your company "D20 Entertainment."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Halloween Jack posted:

I was the one who mentioned Whitman before, and I don't even know why he was ever in charge of a Kenzer-related Facebook group. I'm frankly baffled that any longstanding, professional company in the business would work with him. How did he worm his way into being in charge of Kickstarters for KoDT and Larry Elmore?

Halloween Jack posted:

10 minutes on kickstarter has turned up:

Whitman set up d20 entertainment to create 'geek media'

April 2013, Knight's Quest card game as Ken Whitman Games $9k (seems to have mostly delivered but not everything people backed for)
December 2013 - KODT to create live action episodes of the comics, $70k
June 2014, Spinward Traveller, live action traveller episodes, 50k
July 2014, Dice-O-matic, raised 3k but suspended by Kickstarter for selling a cheap item from china and claiming it was custom.
October 2014, Castles & Crusades TV Pilot, 6k
January 2015 pencil dice kickstarter, 38k
February 2015, RPG Pencil dice, 8.5k
March 2015, Deck Dice 5k

Given how little has come out from the above, his new business model seems to be the kickstarter ponzi scheme. I suspect that's now fallen apart on him otherwise we'd have had another couple along the way (that or he just needs to set up a new company or two to use). It looks as if he's friends with Elmore which is how he's been involved in his kickstarters or at least ones with his name attached as well (some have delivered, some haven't).

A quick google's come up with a half dozen companies he's gone through in the past 10 years, most of which have vanished entirely.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm wondering now if Ken got the job because he's friends with Elmore; I'm pretty sure he and Jolly have worked together in the past as old-school buds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not surprised that Whitman turned to Kickstarter. Most of his work is as a printer, so he mostly deals with small-print publishers--most fans have never heard of him. Kickstarter allows him to directly deal with customers who don't know his rep as a scam artist. But for him to be managing Kickstarters and producing product for people who have been in the business for decades...wow.

I'm particularly surprised at him producing a Traveller series. He got into the business working on the 4th edition of Traveller, which AFAIK is his only credit as a writer. My understanding is that 4th edition isn't well-regarded by ardent Traveller fans, and that ardent fans are the only kind of Traveller fan. In other words, everyone interested in a Traveller series should know better than to give money to Ken Whitman.

What I find funny about the whole thing is that Kickstarter is tailor-made for somebody like Whitman. Accusations of taking orders for RPG products that were poorly-printed, or never delivered at all, have been following him since before online shopping became a thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Didn't Whitman have the Ralph Bakshi Wizard's license as well as some kind of Mutant Cops game published back in the 90s?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, he owned a company (Whit) that produced RPGs for Bakshi's Wizards, WWF wrestling, and I believe the game you're thinking of is Mutazoids. He didn't officially write for any of those except Mutazoids: That's the one non-Traveller credit that I missed.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 27, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have the Wizards game and both 1st and 2nd edition of Mutazoids. The rules must be in some box somewhere.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have Wizards sitting in a box somewhere. I remember it having a pretty crap system and a solo adventure that seemed like the only use you'd ever get out of it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In this respect I would say it accurately reflects the movie as a tool for entertaining children.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
It gets worse: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2015/07/kickstarter-ken-whitman-redefines.html

quote:

But hey. At least the backers at $450 are going to get front row seats to the Premiere, time with the actors, a Q&A and an after party, right?

Jolly - So Ken just posted this apparently;
"All three episodes of KODT will be premiered at Gen Con in various states. They are not done, and a work in progress. (this poo poo was supposedly done earlier this month I thought)
We are working on having them done, and ready for download in August.
We will then produce and ship the DVDs as soon as we can.
For those of you with Premiere tickets, there will be a second line at the show for you. You will be seated first.
There will be no actors at the show and therefore no Q&A, and there will be no afterparty. Sorry for the problems."

I backed the KODT live at a low level - like 10 or 20 bux because I enjoy KODT but holy gently caress I feel bad for the people who spent hundreds for the Gen Con party level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It looks like the big KODT Live event at GenCon has been cancelled by Ken, which sucks for the backers and Jolly.

Jolly Blackburn posted:

So Ken just posted this apparently;
"All three episodes of KODT will be premiered at Gen Con in various states. They are not done, and a work in progress.
We are working on having them done, and ready for download in August.
We will then produce and ship the DVDs as soon as we can.
For those of you with Premiere tickets, there will be a second line at the show for you. You will be seated first.
There will be no actors at the show and therefore no Q&A, and there will be no afterparty. Sorry for the problems."
'various states"...?
No after party?
NO Q&A.
Ken you are a coward. Face the backers and answer their questions at least face to face at the premiere.

Jolly, a few hours later posted:

Hey folks, Ken Whitman canceled the After Party out of spite apparently. We are working on a new venue and some entertainment for backers. Now I don't have access to the kickstarter data and Ken's not providing it. So I have no idea who paid/backed for special seating and/or the after party. If you are reading this (and please spread the word because I know a lot of backers don't check her) please contact me at jolly at kenzerco dot calm. If we can get a list and get some details (time/place) we'd love to have you and thank you for supporting the project. There are some great folks helping with this effort - I will reveal who they are when they are ready to release the details. All I can say that despite Ken's behavior this is a great industry filled with a lot of great people still. In short - Ken can't take our party away. ;)

What's more, Ken tried to shift the blame to Jolly when talking to the KODT actors, one of whom shared this:

quote:

(From Josh who plays the role of Brian in KODTLAS. Ken was supposed to fly Josh to GenCon to be at the premiere but broke that promise.)
--So this is what I just got from Ken.....--
Ken: J.Hey Josh, yeah. I could not raise the money. Jolly has pretty much hosed me from making money. It's a total fuckery. Anyway, I'm sorry, I thought I could pull out of this one and make it happen. Sorry brother
This was my response....
Josh: I have to disagree man. I don't see how Jolly made you squander that money and screw us all out of this project. I really hope that if future episodes get made, we don't get recast because of our association to the fuckery that was last summer's shoot. I really hope you can get those 3 episodes to him. The fans and backers that have put so much into this project deserve it. There's two ways out of this mess. You man up and give what you've got to the fans so that Jolly and Barb aren't left holding the bag and save some face or you tuck tail and run. I would highly advise against the latter. The people who believed in you and supported you are owed more respect than ignored messages. The fans deserve the first three episodes and the actors who want nothing more than to bring this project to life, deserve the first three episodes. I'm really hurt at the way you're treating them. It's not right man. I know you have your own side to the story, but you have to get it together. You made a promise. Stick to it. I'm not talking about flying me up. I'm talking about the episodes. Release them for Gen Con. You had a gift the fans gave you and you wasted it on looking good or making big promises. Real art isn't about that man. Film making is not about that. It's about the work. It's about creating something and not getting caught up in the money. They didn't give you that money to buy a chrysler 300 M so you could look like a producer. They gave you that money so you could create something. It's the only right thing to do. We deserve better!
--Feel free to post that response!--
Now I'm wondering if the actors are getting paid or if they're getting shafted too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Legit question - ttgs seem to have by far the rockiest history with Kickstarter I've seen. Outside of the BIG ones (well, big one singular, Star Citizen) has video games had this number of prolific scammers hit Kickstarter?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I wouldn't call it a scam, since I'm pretty sure Mighty Number 9 is going to come out eventually, but it's certainly worrisome that the same guys from the same studio have gone to the well again to raise money for a second game in the same IP before it came out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Legit question - ttgs seem to have by far the rockiest history with Kickstarter I've seen. Outside of the BIG ones (well, big one singular, Star Citizen) has video games had this number of prolific scammers hit Kickstarter?

I mean, pretty much every video game on Kickstarter overpromises and underdelivers, and are aided by sitting in Steam Greenlight Early Access hell. The tides are turning on EA, though, and now people openly mock others who buy EA games.

Double-Fine basically screwed the pooch, and they were the big KS that got mainstream attention.

But frittering away your money before shipping a half-finished, buggy mess is still shipping something, so I guess they aren't all scams.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the Warmachine game that cost a bundle on Kickstarter ended up being dogshit. That was the last video game I backed on KS.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, for some reason they chose to not just adapt the actual game itself? Because taking that math and just using it would be too easy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ProfessorCirno posted:

Two comics kickstarter stories come to mind. There's the story of Sullivan's Sluggers, a graphic novel about a baseball team fighting monsters. The writer, Mark Andrew Smith basically hosed it up catastrophically and sent copies to comic shops before contributors, which is pretty lovely. He also ran a second kickstarter to sell off copies off the book, again before the people who contributed to the first got anything. Kickstarter's TOS forbids just using the service to sell stuff so he had some problems. He's also kind of a jerk, he was pretty awful to the artist James Stokoe (who had no ownership, he was a freelancer) who is a superb artist, the whole situation kind of dragged his name through the mud. More details here: http://www.comicsbeat.com/the-strange-tale-of-sullivans-sluggers/

Much weirder is the case of Ken Lowery and Robert Wilson IV's comic Like A Virus. Someone copied the kickstarter for the comic wholesale and dumped it on Indiegogo. Guess they happened across it and figured they could get some cash and no one woud really notice because it was an obscure indie comic, but they didn't realize that Ken Lowery is a pretty popular guy and has quite a twitter following. Oops! Again, more here http://comicsalliance.com/like-a-virus-ken-lowery-robert-wilson-iv-interview-kickstarter-indiegogo/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Legit question - ttgs seem to have by far the rockiest history with Kickstarter I've seen.
I suppose it's just easier to get funding for what can believably be a project by a handful of amateur writers. To do even a middling video game (that isn't a graphically minimal indie game) you have to at least be able to get some professional programmers and pay them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Miniatures also have a really rocky history with kickstarters failing to deliver or being outright scams. I think this was in part aided by the high profile kickstarter success of reaper bones causing people to believe the absurdly impossible campaign promises.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Would you take quality over quantity? Because the story of OUYA is finally coming to a close, and it's been a ride.

There were some vaguely scammy kickstarters for OUYA games, though. The latest news is that OUYA is claiming that since they've been bought by Razer they don't have to fulfil their Free The Games deals, where they promised to match what devs raised via crowdfunding in exchange for six months exclusivity.

In conclusion,

redtube

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 28, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw man, now the games will never be freed. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Scammers? I dunno. I'm not sure how many of these failed TG projects are outright scams either, but video game kickstarters had a bad time of things for the first couple of years. It was a maze of wild promises, unrealistically low funding requests, and really credulous backers. It's somewhat better now, but I think that's mostly due to a larger population of backers willing to kick up a stink over failures real and imagined.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Everblight posted:

Double-Fine basically screwed the pooch, and they were the big KS that got mainstream attention.
But fortunately their successes made for a glorious period of about 6 months where a bunch of other nostalgia-fueled video game Kickstarters could get a lot of attention--and, like, I am not going to say they all have been successful, but basically every one of the "help me finally make this oldschool game I have been trying to get made without any publisher interest for years!" projects got overfunded and either came out or is still in the process of coming out and being good-to-great. Though the "Mythic" video game scam was one that made it a couple of weeks into the campaign before being identified as (possibly) the first big effort to blatantly defraud the populace. And then...well...Star Citizen, but that its own thing. Edit: I like that I drew the completely opposite conclusion from Bieeardo about the progression of these projects

this is only 10% an "ahaha I told you so" to the few people in my Wasteland 2 thread who were like "dude you KNOW Double Fine can deliver, why should we believe Brian Fargo is capable of it???"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Quarex posted:

this is only 10% an "ahaha I told you so" to the few people in my Wasteland 2 thread who were like "dude you KNOW Double Fine can deliver, why should we believe Brian Fargo is capable of it???"
/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Harebrained's Shadowrun Returns KS was a huge success, they delivered both the first game and the much-improved second campaign, and after another successful Kickstarter the third campaign (Shadowrun: Hong Kong) is due out next month. It's one of the better Kickstarter success stories.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Pope Guilty posted:

Harebrained's Shadowrun Returns KS was a huge success, they delivered both the first game and the much-improved second campaign, and after another successful Kickstarter the third campaign (Shadowrun: Hong Kong) is due out next month. It's one of the better Kickstarter success stories.
I've heard bad things about them if I remember correctly from within game developers so its not exactly like they have a pristine record either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Everblight posted:

I mean, pretty much every video game on Kickstarter overpromises and underdelivers, and are aided by sitting in Steam Greenlight Early Access hell. The tides are turning on EA, though, and now people openly mock others who buy EA games.

But frittering away your money before shipping a half-finished, buggy mess is still shipping something, so I guess they aren't all scams.

Shadowrun and Carmageddon Reincarnation, on the other hand, turned out great and I was very happy to have backed both.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah Shadowrun Returns has been far and away the best KS I've ever backed. Not only was the base game good, but the expansion was even better. Plus the modding tools have allowed some really cool stuff to come out of the community. I didn't think twice about pledging to the new Hong Kong game just on the strength of how good their first KS was. I wish more companies could deliver like they have.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've heard bad things about them if I remember correctly from within game developers so its not exactly like they have a pristine record either.

Obviously I can't speak top their business practices, but from the consumer end of things they've done exactly what their Kickstarter said they would and delivered quality product.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Serf posted:

Yeah Shadowrun Returns has been far and away the best KS I've ever backed. Not only was the base game good, but the expansion was even better. Plus the modding tools have allowed some really cool stuff to come out of the community. I didn't think twice about pledging to the new Hong Kong game just on the strength of how good their first KS was. I wish more companies could deliver like they have.

Well, the base game was good until the end and those loving bugs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It looks like Whitman's actually going to be at GenCon.

That's pretty ballsy if true.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be frank, I think you've just got a bit of tunnel vision on this one. I mean, the video game KS scene has been problematic all over, with Confederate Express being a shining example of how to make an rear end out of your backers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dead Man's Switch would really benefit from a Director's Cut that backports all the Dragonfall DC improvements, adds a big chunk of actual shadowruns to the game, and fixes that loving ending. It would be nice for it to be as good as Dragonfall rather than be the bad one out. :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pillars of Eternity (which was kickstarted as "Project Eternity") was a bit late, but it came out, had everything promised, and was excellent. I paid $20 and got a really good game for it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if I missed something, but I feel like both of Double Fine's Kickstarter games turned out okay? :shrug:

I liked Broken Age Act 1 pretty well (though I haven't played act 2 yet) and Massive Chalice is a neat twist on XCOM. I guess they were both late, but that's like every goddamned Kickstarter, video game or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Spacebase DF-9 was apparently a massive fiasco, what with it being released unfinished and buggy. And soon after that Double Fine declared that they wouldn't make any more patches and that no one was currently assigned to it.

• Locked thread