Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

tbh id be surprised if there isnt already some sort of auto fire mode where as soon as you put the nose in the correct place relative to the target you just marked, your already spun up gatling gun spits out a burst

Doesn't the spinning of a Gatling gun also load and fire it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Yes, as this guy found out.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

well okay then, leave the already spun up part out, main question still stands
e: also why the christ would you stand anywhere near where a gatling gun was pointed if theres ammo even remotely nearby?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 25, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mazz posted:

I know about that for the most part, I was thinking something closer to what Fluff mentioned where the computer does more of the work/pulls the trigger on firing solution. Pretty unrealistic because it's a complex solution to a dumb problem, but an interesting thought since if refined it takes out any elements of pilot error due to adrenaline or whatever.

We already basically have this, only it's in tanks. There have been various methods for fixing a target and automatically firing the gun when it's lined up since late WW2, although they were really crude back then. It's the whole reason you can fire on the move.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

We already basically have this, only it's in tanks. There have been various methods for fixing a target and automatically firing the gun when it's lined up since late WW2, although they were really crude back then. It's the whole reason you can fire on the move.

Since before WWII even. The first reference I can find to something like this is in the early 30s.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

TheFluff posted:

On the JA 37 (fighter version of the Viggen) there was an aim assist mode where the autopilot would take over and aim the gun at the radar-locked target for you, but only in two axes - it'd show you on the HUD what you needed to do in the third axis, and then you only needed to pull the trigger. I don't know if it was actually a good idea or not though because as far as I know the Gripen doesn't have it.

The Gripen has the automatic gun system as well.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For most aircraft rotary cannons, spinning the barrels actuates the feed/load/extract mechanism. The firing step is actually electrical so it instantly stops firing when the pilot lets off the trigger. However, the gun has momentum and will generally keep feeding and extracting live rounds for a short period (something like 6-10 if I recall, depending on the gun). The ammo systems on modern aircraft are a linkless continuous loop, so all the cases and unfired rounds end up back in the ammo box. If you could lay it all out, you could count the number of times the pilot pulled the trigger by looking for those extra rounds.

I'm not sure, but it seems like the f-35 gun may back feed to make those normally lost rounds available. If you watch the vid closely you can see it reverse direction after firing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The a10 gun spins back after firing to use the unspent rounds iirc

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Could someone do a brief history/system explanation post of the CCIP bomb sight? All I know from Jane's USAF (hell, going back to Microprose Strike Eagle for Commodore 64 I think) is that it's a pipper hanging from a "string" that indicates the fall path of the weapon and the projected impact point based on the platform's speed and altitude. Who came up with it, and when? Is it a western thing, or do WP and descendant aircraft use it too? Are/were there competing alternative systems? Finally, if you're approaching a target on a ridge or hill a few hundred feet higher than the ground that's under you right now, is it smart enough to use some kind of radar to adjust itself accordingly, or does it assume that you're flying over a flat plane and rely on the pilot to adjust for the target's altitude? PGMs make the last question somewhat moot, but I would imagine that development and training don't assume that you'll always have PGMs.
Thanks!

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Mazz posted:

I know about that for the most part, I was thinking something closer to what Fluff mentioned where the computer does more of the work/pulls the trigger on firing solution. Pretty unrealistic because it's a complex solution to a dumb problem, but an interesting thought since if refined it takes out any elements of pilot error due to adrenaline or whatever.

I can't find a single decent source now, but I read somewhere about a flexible mounting for the GSh-30 (I think this thread?) that allowed the gun to pivot in its mount, so the gun could acquire targets effectively in a cone shape instead of directly in line with the barrel. Doesn't seem like it was a production thing or any details if it worked now that I'm looking again. Then again though, the 30-1 is a single barrel so it's not completely crazy in theory.

Various Russian guns have flexible mounts, but they're only used in gun pods for ground attack purposes. The SPPU-22 allows elevation adjustment and the SPPU-6/SPPU-687 (that's the one that the GSh-30-1 can go in) add a little bit of traverse in the mix. To my knowledge, the Russians never bothered giving fixed-wing aircraft cannons flexible mounts for air-to-air purposes because rounds fired at non-trivial angles of attack weren't accurate and the trouble of actually installing and maintaining such a system wasn't worth any benefit it would have given them. They've been all about HOBS heaters for up-close-and-personal fights since the 80s, although the R-73M is ancient by today's standards.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
They did some fairly serious work trying to fit a limited traverse system for the gun in the SU-27, PPU-27 with 5° traverse and 0-15°elevation.
http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/Su27gun.htm

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd imagine it's easier to do on an autocannon versus a Gatling design.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

chitoryu12 posted:

Eh, well, they must have worked out something as the barrel is still spinning and ammo looks to be moving after firing has stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

TCD posted:

Eh, well, they must have worked out something as the barrel is still spinning and ammo looks to be moving after firing has stopped.

:catstare:

I love how it slowly just starts to eject fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TCD posted:

Firing is electronic. Rounds are still loaded and ejected, but on some systems (I think someone mentioned the GAU-8 is one) the unfired ammo is collected separately while on others the unfired rounds just collect with the empties. Most or all M61A1 systems are the latter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The avenger is closed loop, and if you don't pull the trigger for a little while it'll scoot unfired rounds back through the gun to the feed side.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

It actually works really well for tanks, because the relative velocities of tanks are far lower than for aircraft. Tanks also tend to be firing a single shot, while aircraft gunnery is much more of a numbers game. I'll have to dig it up, but I remember reading some material in college that explained that, when the U.S. Air Force originally specc'd the system that became the M61 Vulcan, the minimum rate of fire was based on some NASIC calculations which required: if a MiG-21-sized aircraft flies through the bullet path with a 90° heading crossing angle at typical first-pass dogfight speeds, it will be struck by at least one bullet. Radar triggered gunnery is limited by the fact that a non-mechanically steered AESA radar has a useful field of view limited to 60° left and right of center, and in a turning fight where everyone isn't being slain immediately by HOBS missiles, a pilot may want to trigger a burst in anticipation of a target outside of that 60° cone that he can see by cranking his head around. It'll work fine for a target the pilot can keep continuous radar lock on, but killing a target the pilot can keep continuous radar lock on has been trivial for a while now.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Sweden is investigating a report that a submarine wreck has been discovered in the country's territorial waters.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I read somewhere that that sub may either be that one they were looking for not long ago or possibly some sub that sank in the area in 1913. While this sounds like bullshit, what ruskie sub sunk in 1913? A quick Google search yielded nothing for me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Try 1916

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
The company behind this finding, Ocean X, is just acting so embarrassingly. They were this time trying to pretend that they had no idea which year this sub was from even though they must've known that from the start. Just compare the pictures they've released with what can be seen at: http://survincity.com/2013/10/submarines-catfish/ ... There are visible goddamn rivets on their new pictures, who'd use that when building a U-boat today? Why is the shape of the U-boat so far away from how a modern boat looks? Ridiculous.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

And while we're on the topic of nautical nonsense, what’s behind Beijing’s drive to control the South China Sea?

My favorite part posted:

“Time immemorial” is a favourite official expression for explaining the duration of its claims to them, but as I looked at these old maps, I noticed that despite being written entirely in Chinese, the names of the islands were all phoneticised versions of the names westerners had given them in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Some people don't know what reborrowing is?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

quote:

It has also launched programmes to build a fleet of modern aircraft carriers, and the full range of associated battleships.

:what:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They may still be in the "baby steps but trying to run so this is gonna be interesting to watch like a car burning next to the interstate" phase, but that's technically correct.

Edit: Oh, that was the problem? Ah.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 29, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Laymen have a hard time differentiating battleships and warships.

See also very commercial ship ever being called a tanker.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Jesus H Constuctionworker on a pair of 2x4's
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/a-series-of-mistakes-led-to-nato-s-bloody-air-crash-d11d7ddee066

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
How tough are KC135's? This tough:
http://speakingeagles.com/only-pilot-who-landed-a-kc-135-after-two-engines-ripped-off-in-combat/

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Literally killed by a checklist. Is that a first?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Impressive picture, but they've done 2-engine-out recoveries before and they train for it. Hell, an AWACS killed two 135 engines when there was a slight mid-air collision during an ad-hoc formation flight. Those aren't allowed anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Caconym posted:

Literally killed by a checklist. Is that a first?

No: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Ground engineer sets the cabin pressurisation switch from AUTO to MANUAL and it is missed in a checklist, as a result everyone on board dies of hypoxia

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
badass PAK FA infographc

click for massive
http://i.imgur.com/w9CKsVR.jpg

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

badass PAK FA infographc

click for massive

I want a giant version of this to put on my office wall.

Serious question: what is the plan for midcourse guidance for a air to air missile with a 400km+ range?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

badass PAK FA infographc

click for massive

not pictured: the body kit falling off an su-27

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bewbies posted:

I want a giant version of this to put on my office wall.

Serious question: what is the plan for midcourse guidance for a air to air missile with a 400km+ range?

I am not sure. But I worry that it is basically something very indiscriminate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLuaPZWkvZ0

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Well, if its on AWACS duty it can just home in on the radar until they cut and run, which is what you wanted anyway. Not sure about how it would work on tankers.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Why isn't it on fire?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Why isn't it on fire?

An F-35B isn't trying to land on it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

That poster would be a lot cooler if it was about a plane they could field more then 3 of at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
All that cool poster tells me is: "Mother Russia still good at making missile...but poo poo at making stealth plane."

Seriously, it's like someone specifically said "emphasize the armament, not the plane that carries it."