Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Namtab posted:

Remember the ep where she ate the food?

Yep she sure ate that food. How about the other episode where she ate the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

trucutru posted:

Indeed, and you'll find that 99% of the people who have seen this show disagree with you.

I think that's all I have to say about that.

arguably, in that he is arguing it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yep she sure ate that food. How about the other episode where she ate the food?

spoiler tag that poo poo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Homura is indeed the best girl and I hope she gets a non-brainwashed madoka patriarchal prize at the end.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh god, there's more than one?

Sort of, there's the figure that like 1 1/2 feet tall and there's a small normal figurine. Same for devil Homura.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Ate all the food? I think we know who the REAL villain of Madoka is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Insurrectionist posted:

Ate all the food? I think we know who the REAL villain of Madoka is.

Well, she got her whole loving family killed because she was a little hungry. So, yeah. Absolutely.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Well, she got her whole loving family killed because she was a little hungry. So, yeah. Absolutely.

Let he who hasn't gotten their family killed every now and then cast the first stone IMO

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now that the tyranny of pretension has been ostensibly vanquished to the depths of literary hell whence it proginated in progenigatory, what sorts of junk would you wanna see in a sequel series?

Besides sexy homura.

I wanna see more stuff in the same universe, but with a different crew or a different story. Not gonna happen but it'd be cool following the b-listers for a while.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
This is a controversial take but I want to see a continuation and conclusion of the post-Rebellion universe that focuses on Madoka and Homura

Also maybe Nagisa could die a dog's death and trouble me no longer with talk of 'cheese'

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
On one hand that sounds cool, on the other judging by the manga that apparently defaults to other contemporary Japanese teenage girls most of the time. I'd be interested in some historical MGs or just MGs in other parts of the world.

Also IMO they need to finish up Homura's character-arc still, and Madoka's limbo-like situation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only issue with that is I'm not sure I trust 'em to do that properly unless they got Gen involved, and who knows how he's writing these days.

I feel like we got lucky with the third movie. A b-list crew would let us still examine the universe without having to play jenga with Madoka's primary storyline.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I want to see a slice-of-life remake where they crossover with Hidamari Sketch.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Now that the tyranny of pretension has been ostensibly vanquished to the depths of literary hell whence it proginated in progenigatory, what sorts of junk would you wanna see in a sequel series?

Besides sexy homura.

I wanna see more stuff in the same universe, but with a different crew or a different story. Not gonna happen but it'd be cool following the b-listers for a while.

The spinoff mangas already cover this really.

For a sequel I wanna see Puella Magi Sayaka Magic, Sayaka fighting against the evil Homura and her forces.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Justice posted:

Godoka and Demon Homura are the exact same thing and Godoka is arguably far more evil than Demon Homura is. The creation of a Demon is predicated on selfish love for another, which is quite evident with Madoka and her love for all Magical Girls at the expense of said girls and everyone around them. Godoka believes that Sayaka's death was a good thing, that Kyousuke's hand was worth Sayaka no longer existing in the world. She does this with full knowledge of how Sayaka's death affects the world (see: Sayaka's funeral, or the issues of her apparent suicide in regards to Hitomi and Kyousuke). Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Hitomi blamed herself for Sayaka dying, and I doubt Kyousuke would agree that his hand was worth Sayaka's life. Demon Homura, in contrast, gives Sayaka her life back, and repairs the problems between the three. In a sense, taking Sayaka's knowledge was necessary, as she was blinded by Madoka's toxic idealism and seemed perfectly fine with sacrificing herself even if said action hurt everyone around her.

Now, extrapolate, to hundreds of thousands to millions of Magical Girls, and you'll get similar scenarios for each and Godoka saying it is ok for this to exist. Nothing Demon Homura did compares to that, and really, what Demon Homura did was a far better solution to Madoka's attempt.

I can only help you out so much.

To claim that Godoka and Demon Homura are so similar as to be effectively the same is a juvenile level of stupid. They share some traits, yes, but are inherently very different beings. No one should need to explain it. Hell, you even explain part of it in your post..

Namtab posted:

I've pretty much just been calling out for you to admit this rather than trying to claim that madoka is high art somehow inherantly above any sexualisation.

I'm pretty amused that it was Namtab of all people that got that out of you.

I figured out that this whole problem of whether sexualization is a good/bad thing ultimately boils down to pedantics, unfortunately. Sexualization can mean one of two things:

1) To present in such a way as to suggest a sexual orientation. Ex: Putting a pink bow on a rock to suggest it's female, even though it doesn't have a sex.
2) To present in such a way as to incite sexual desire. Ex: Putting giant boobs in a small bikini because that's super sexy.

The first is a neutral statement, and the second is a form of objectification. In either case though, Demon Homura is not being sexualized; that suggests intent on the creator's part to objectify her (maybe that's true to an extent, as already argued by trucutru, but there's enough in the narrative to justify it).

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lestaki posted:

Also maybe Nagisa could die a dog's death and trouble me no longer with talk of 'cheese'

I want more cheese, actually, because she did nothing in the movie.

But mostly I'm posting to fix the posts I can't see.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The only issue with that is I'm not sure I trust 'em to do that properly unless they got Gen involved, and who knows how he's writing these days.

I feel like we got lucky with the third movie. A b-list crew would let us still examine the universe without having to play jenga with Madoka's primary storyline.

Eh, I don't really feel that way. Gen is good but nothing so special he can't be replaced. And frankly his Rebellion ending sounded stupid to me. Now personally I am a fan of Rebellion, but I also recognize that thematically the place it ends is just a mess compared to the neat way the series tie things up and can appreciate people preferring if that was the conclusive ending. However, a third movie that's just fanservice (not the sexy kind) and ends with 'yaaaay Homu gets to go to heaven the end' just sounds utterly pointless and unnecessary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sexual orientation of female

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I'm pretty amused that it was Namtab of all people that got that out of you.

Idk why, I'm a pretty hardcore and good poster

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AlternateNu posted:

Nagisa's mom was dying in the hospital and she wished for one cheesecake. 8yos are the real evil.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

the sexual orientation of female

im a femalesexual

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 1, 2015

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Space Flower posted:

Nagisa's mom was dying in the hospital and she wished for one cheesecake. 8yos are the real evil.
Supposedly she wished that she could share a cake with her mom one last time before she died or something. Then immediately realized "oh gently caress why didn't I just wish for her to get better" and became a witch out of despair almost immediately.
Not sure if that's canon or just a theory, though.
If it is canon, it's equal parts absolutely horrible and also hilarious.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Supposedly she wished that she could share a cake with her mom one last time before she died or something. Then immediately realized "oh gently caress why didn't I just wish for her to get better" and became a witch out of despair almost immediately.

:stonklol:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, the backstory is from early Inu Curry drafts of the witches but Charlotte is largely the same as her first draft so fandom just rolls with it.

E: Apparently the Inucurry section in Rebellion Note confirms this. right-o, congrats Bebe.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Space Flower posted:

Basically, every single magical girl but Madoka is extremely bad at wishes.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

ViggyNash posted:

I can only help you out so much.

To claim that Godoka and Demon Homura are so similar as to be effectively the same is a juvenile level of stupid. They share some traits, yes, but are inherently very different beings. No one should need to explain it. Hell, you even explain part of it in your post..

We have two concepts of greater beings within Madoka. First, that of the Magical Woman, defined as a person who moves past the issues inherent to their wish fullfillment and, essentially, grows up into a better person. I.E,: "We were once bringers of hope, who despaired and spread our curses. Now we are those guided by the Law of Cycles to break free from the chains of destiny binding this world." Sayaka has moved past her issues with Kyousuke and her idealism, Nagisa has moved past whatever her issues were as a Magical Girl.

The other form is a Demon, one who falls completely into wish fulfillment, idealism, and their own desire. Kimi no Gin no Niwa: "She was lost on her way, and yet is always the first one home. Finding someplace warm and light is more important the the truth. The gate to adulthood is firmly closed to them. Little children sing with innocent voices, what will they hide, what will they destroy? Dreams lie in their hands, the lies and grief of tender beings lie hidden there."

This describes Madoka and her solution exactly. It is predicated on the ideal that Magical Girls as a concept are good and should exist, when they categorically are not. Look at my example for Sayaka again, how is any of that a good thing? Why is Madoka endorsing the burning out and early death of thousands of teenage girls a good thing? Madoka herself has seen the results of the Magical Girl system, and chooses to ignore these issues, focusing on Witches alone. Her love for Magical Girls blinds her. This is what I mean by Godoka and Demon Homura being the same concept, both are created from wish fulfillment and idealism, a refusal to grow and to leave that child's room.

Kimi no Gin no Niwa again: "Slowly a door opens, beyond I see a fragile world. Will morning come, will night fall? A shy light flickers in. Let us play some more until we are called, and repeat our days like a flower reborn."

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 28, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Mami's wish was fine!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Koufuku Graffiti, but kyouko

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Maybe Lord Justice is just ADTRW's most dedicated troll.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I want the sequel to take place after a timeskip where everyone has been just living peaceably in Homuworld and the girls are in high school. Then they join the light music club

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Flower posted:

I want the sequel to take place after a timeskip where everyone has been just living peaceably in Homuworld and the girls are in high school. Then they join the light music club

Madoka, Sayaka, Mami, and Homura become musicians. Kyoko becomes a drummer.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Namtab posted:

Who would win in an eating contest, Kyouko or Kirin?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

cheetah7071 posted:

The first timeline's Madoka used her magical girl wish in order to save a cat from being run over by a truck.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blaziken386 posted:

The first timeline's Madoka used her magical girl wish in order to save a cat from being run over by a truck.

Madoka was going to wish for loving cake in episode three.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I want the sequel to be Homura meeting someone to fall in love with, then going back to her basement, releasing the shackles on madoka and going "to be honest, it was just a teenage crush taken to insane extremes".

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Mami was under extreme duress and probably minutes from death when she made her wish, expecting her to be thoughtful and conscientious of her wish is a bit much to ask given the circumstances.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

I take it back, they're all bad at wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

trucutru posted:

I want the sequel to be Homura meeting someone to fall in love with, then going back to her basement, releasing the shackles on madoka and going "to be honest, it was just a teenage crush taken to insane extremes".

• Locked thread