Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
:staredog:

THIS loving GAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm afraid to play the final episode because ending a series always seems to be polarizing for people.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

exquisite tea posted:

Gotta love the writers staying true to Max's inappropriate remarks in the height of an emotional outburst. Upon Chloe digging up the remains of her best friend, "ugh that smell!"

Also Nathan is severely damaged and maybe sympathetic in that way but he ain't no angel, the kid is definitely messed up and a willing agent in what's going on.

Yeah-- reminder that even though Jefferson's involvement is new information, Nathan wasn't a red herring-- his jacket and personal letters are in the dark room, he's the one who tried to drug Chloe, he's the one who whisked Kate off, he's literally in the photos with Rachel's body, etc., etc. He did most (if not necessarily all) of the things Max and Chloe thought he did and were investigating-- he just didn't do it alone.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm terrified they will fail to stick the landing. But hyped.

MAN, this episode seemed LONG. Like five hours maybe? I guess that explains the delay.
Surprised people are so freaked by Chloe getting shot. You can travel back through time. There's no way the photo with Warren that night isn't going to come up again.

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, I definitely missed the code, looked at the combination screen and Max was all "No time, gotta break it". Didn't realize you could actually find the code, though. I just felt it was refreshing for a point-n-click-adventure hero to look at a combination lock for once and go "Combination!? Aint nobody got time for THAT".
re: the padlock
When I had to use the keypad at the bunker, I remembered the codes on Nathan Prescott's sheet of paper, and found that every visual object you've read/looked at is available in your menu. So I had to dig through a list to find that list, but along the way, I found a picture of the padlock with the combination.

And since I think you can access the menu mid-conversation, that means if you were one of the players that couldn't remember Kate's family details when she was on the edge - you totally could've looked it up! :D

Junkfist posted:

The Prescotts going after a Mr. Lyndon in an old letter and having an expose written about them by a Mr. Kennedy yeah ok game I got it.
I don't know my American history. Help me out? Something about presidents?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

VagueRant posted:

And since I think you can access the menu mid-conversation, that means if you were one of the players that couldn't remember Kate's family details when she was on the edge - you totally could've looked it up! :D

You have to alt-tab to get the menu up mid-conversation, but while I didn't look it up, I realized "Restart from Last Checkpoint" was a thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I used that too because I thought I'd got myself stuck at the party because I didn't see the prompt to push the thing. Had to go through so many unskippable conversations again...

By the way, what determines Victoria believing you?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

VagueRant posted:

I used that too because I thought I'd got myself stuck at the party because I didn't see the prompt to push the thing. Had to go through so many unskippable conversations again...

I'm assuming it all depends on how nice you were to her throughout the game-- not teasing her or taking a photo when she got the paint dumped on her, apologizing to her, etc.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

VagueRant posted:

Not sure entirely but she did mention Max being nice to her after she got splashed with paint.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Rincewind posted:

I'm assuming it all depends on how nice you were to her throughout the game-- not teasing her or taking a photo when she got the paint dumped on her, apologizing to her, etc.

Still waiting for that middle finger collage to come back to haunt me.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

For one of the most nerve-wracking decisions in the game, there hasn't been much discussion of what happened to alternate universe Chloe. I agreed to her request, since Chloe really eloquently laid out the case for the right to assisted suicide in a terminal illness with little quality of life left-- but I was still really worried about the impact that'd have on William and Joyce. Fortunately, time was reset like immediately afterwards so I didn't have to deal with that. :v: But I'm really curious about what would have happened if I'd lost my nerve and refused. What does Chloe do? How is Max's decision to go back in time framed?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Rincewind posted:

For one of the most nerve-wracking decisions in the game, there hasn't been much discussion of what happened to alternate universe Chloe. I agreed to her request, since Chloe really eloquently laid out the case for the right to assisted suicide in a terminal illness with little quality of life left-- but I was still really worried about the impact that'd have on William and Joyce. Fortunately, time was reset like immediately afterwards so I didn't have to deal with that. :v: But I'm really curious about what would have happened if I'd lost my nerve and refused. What does Chloe do? How is Max's decision to go back in time framed?

She just gets angry and tells Max to GTFO

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Rincewind posted:

sucks to be the guy in a similar situation as her, waiting for her response in that chat room forever

also what the gently caress is up with samuel, seriously

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rincewind posted:

She blames you for abandoning her, just like everybody else in her life. Max apologizes for putting her through all this and says she's gonna make things right again, then fiddles around at her bedside trying to focus on a polaroid for 20 goddamn minutes and resets time. I refused to help Chloe with her assisted suicide because that's NO decision for a non-family member who just saw her friend for the first time in five years to make, I mean holy poo poo Chloe, how is William going to react when I walk out the door and admit I just killed his daughter? Even alt-reality Chloe keeps giving me these crazy ultimatums all the time.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Minor spoiler I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAFvbtMHuI

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Aaand for the polar opposite, here is the song that probably made people cry this episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcOyYEldZY

Rincewind posted:

That makes sense, up until that conversation, I treated her like I wanted to destroy her regardless of her depth as a character.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Chapter 4 impressions This was a tense drat episode. Nathan's room, the snuff shot bunker, the big obnoxious party were all great in an agitating way. I let Warren beat Nathan into the ground as a gut reaction to the little bastard pulling a gun on me. I'm still annoyed that I had to comply to the murderers polite request that I please walk into a trap at that place he buried his last victim at.

I'm still kinda lost on the supernatural angle, is double moon even a phenomenon that happens? Nathan's dad apparently wants to build some condos around the area and wants the lovely town out of the way, so maybe it's him causing the freaky poo poo somehow?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Caidin posted:

Chapter 4 impressions This was a tense drat episode. Nathan's room, the snuff shot bunker, the big obnoxious party were all great in an agitating way. I let Warren beat Nathan into the ground as a gut reaction to the little bastard pulling a gun on me. I'm still annoyed that I had to comply to the murderers polite request that I please walk into a trap at that place he buried his last victim at.

I'm still kinda lost on the supernatural angle, is double moon even a phenomenon that happens? Nathan's dad apparently wants to build some condos around the area and wants the lovely town out of the way, so maybe it's him causing the freaky poo poo somehow?

Re: the two moons thing. You see the second moon flicker out of view as Chloe and Max are leaving the Vortex Club party and it's gone by the time they arrive at the junkyard, so I get the feeling a lot of the omens are due to timeline fuckery as different realities are created and collapse on top of each other. I think one of the potential big reveals of Episode 5 is gonna be that Max isn't the only one in Arcadia Bay who has time travel powers.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

exquisite tea posted:

She blames you for abandoning her, just like everybody else in her life. Max apologizes for putting her through all this and says she's gonna make things right again, then fiddles around at her bedside trying to focus on a polaroid for 20 goddamn minutes and resets time. I refused to help Chloe with her assisted suicide because that's NO decision for a non-family member who just saw her friend for the first time in five years to make, I mean holy poo poo Chloe, how is William going to react when I walk out the door and admit I just killed his daughter? Even alt-reality Chloe keeps giving me these crazy ultimatums all the time.

Re: Alternate Chloe
What was she supposed to do, burden her parents with the horrifying choice of either denying your suffering child her last wish or actually killing her? They would fight it but ultimately agree and live the rest of their lives haunted by 'what ifs'. "What if she got better?" "What if we killed her and there was a miraculous cure right around the corner?"

Max is there and she's still Chloe's best friend; there was no better person do it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i feel extremely bad for nathan when i realized how messed up he was over "rachel amber in the dark room", like im imagining mr jefferson murdered her by accident while trying to drug her and nathan was rather disturbed by that and mr jefferson threatened him into being quiet... which is why he kept using more and more drugs and constantly hammering frank. when he tried to kill chloe in episode 1 he said he was sick of people telling him what to do which fits into him being coerced into silence. and the entire time he is being denied mental help and his parents are completely ignoring him so he has absolutely nobody in the world to talk to about the fact that he witnessed a murder except the murderer who is threatening him, and he is constantly being berated by everyone around him. poor loving guy. doesnt excuse his actions but still.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I really dumb for actually still wanting to meet Rachel even if it's completely not intended to get some sort of closure on what kind of person she really was? Really Twin Peaks -esque feeling here. Perhaps to get some sort of send off for Max dealing with Chloe, closure for Chloe if she will live again.

I also totally liked the teacher, but had my bad feelings since the first episode thanks to some goon pointing a few things out. He totally reminded me of some of the better teachers I had in High School

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

i feel extremely bad for nathan when i realized how messed up he was over "rachel amber in the dark room", like im imagining mr jefferson murdered her by accident while trying to drug her and nathan was rather disturbed by that and mr jefferson threatened him into being quiet... which is why he kept using more and more drugs and constantly hammering frank. when he tried to kill chloe in episode 1 he said he was sick of people telling him what to do which fits into him being coerced into silence. and the entire time he is being denied mental help and his parents are completely ignoring him so he has absolutely nobody in the world to talk to about the fact that he witnessed a murder except the murderer who is threatening him, and he is constantly being berated by everyone around him. poor loving guy. doesnt excuse his actions but still.

This is what I'm thinking too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You shouldn't feel that sorry for Nathan. He's clearly mentally ill and has been antagonized by his father, but he's still totally complicit in drugging, raping, and covering up the murders of various female students at Blackwell Academy, using his money and privilege to grant cover for Jefferson and let him have his own personal hell dungeon. That's hosed up any way you slice it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lmfao

exquisite tea posted:

You shouldn't feel that sorry for Nathan. He's clearly mentally ill and has been antagonized by his father, but he's still totally complicit in drugging, raping, covering up the murder of multiple female students at Blackwell Academy, using his money and privilege to grant cover for Jefferson. That's hosed up any way you slice it.

which is why i said it doesnt excuse his actions..? im not saying hes a good guy but hes in an extremely lovely situation and has absolutely no way to get the help he obviously needs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well, his situation could certainly be improved by "not doing extremely hosed up poo poo." It's not like constructing and maintaining your own private torture dungeon is the inevitable result of an unfortunate victim of circumstance here.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Well, his situation could certainly be improved by "not doing extremely hosed up poo poo." It's not like constructing and maintaining your own private torture dungeon is the inevitable result of an unfortunate victim of circumstance here.

im pretty sure he didnt make that actually. im pretty sure that was just mr jeffersons and his dad forced him to tag along for some reason.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You shouldn't feel that sorry for Nathan. He's clearly mentally ill and has been antagonized by his father, but he's still totally complicit in drugging, raping, and covering up the murders of various female students at Blackwell Academy, using his money and privilege to grant cover for Jefferson and let him have his own personal hell dungeon. That's hosed up any way you slice it.

My guess really is that he was complicit until it went as far as murder, which is probably when he started getting more unhinged. As far as having the gun too, I think he's trying to be all "bark but no bite" about it.

pog boyfriend posted:

im pretty sure he didnt make that actually. im pretty sure that was just mr jeffersons and his dad forced him to tag along for some reason.

Yeah, I agree. The whole place is just far too clean and organized looking for being something that the current Nathan's been doing.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Zerilan posted:

My guess really is that he was complicit until it went as far as murder, which is probably when he started getting more unhinged. As far as having the gun too, I think he's trying to be all "bark but no bite" about it.

We saw him shoot someone in literally the first ten minutes of the first episode. How is that all bark and no bite?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Why did he continue to go after Kate then? Why did he plan to shoot Chloe in the bathroom and send Max death threats all throughout the story, bringing a gun to school even after he was suspended? He could have stopped once he saw how dangerous this was becoming, but didn't do anything about it and now will probably let the same thing happen to Victoria.

I wish they spent some time developing alt-timeline Nathan, his brief appearance there is the one scene in the game where he seems normal.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Rosalind posted:

We saw him shoot someone in literally the first ten minutes of the first episode. How is that all bark and no bite?

I got the vibe that he accidentally pulled the trigger when Chloe pushed him away.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Well, I did say "trying" because he's still really high strung and unhinged, but the shot also happened as he was falling back from Chloe shoving him away.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, I agree. The whole place is just far too clean and organized looking for being something that the current Nathan's been doing.

Counterpoint: Nathan's dorm room. I'm sure that Jefferson had a lot to do with the Dark Room, but oddly spartan environments with creepy black and white photos and expensive photography equipment lying around are kind of Nathan's thing..

Rosalind posted:

Also yeah, the inciting incident of the entire game is that without Max's intervention he just straight up murdered Chloe like five minutes into the game. :v:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Georgia Peach posted:

I got the vibe that he accidentally pulled the trigger when Chloe pushed him away.

Well there is this cut dialogue

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

exquisite tea posted:

I wish they spent some time developing alt-timeline Nathan, his brief appearance there is the one scene in the game where he seems normal.

Well alt timeline still has Rachel missing so presumably the same thing is happening. Probably alt-Max was next. I'm also wondering about this "Megan" girl who was alt-Chloe's friend. Seems kind of weird they would drop a reference to a new character with a full name without any follow up.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
A bit curious about something. Why was Kate just kinda let go? Rachel got buried and I remember hearing about a lot of other missing girls never found. Did Jefferson think driving her to suicide via social pressure would be artistic or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Caidin posted:

A bit curious about something. Why was Kate just kinda let go? Rachel got buried and I remember hearing about a lot of other missing girls never found. Did Jefferson think driving her to suicide via social pressure would be artistic or something?

I don't think that's right. At one point you look at a missing persons website, and Rachel was the only person in Arcadia Bay to go missing in the last 10 years. It seems like Jefferson's usual MO was not to kill the girls. But something happened with Rachel and she died and now things are spiraling out of his control.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Caidin posted:

He gets off on despair and pain.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Reclaimer posted:

He gets off on despair and pain.

It's a huge longshot but now I want to see a Kotomine Kirei reference.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Georgia Peach posted:

I think so too. Here's his reaction if you don't rewind right away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Jpi3F72g8

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think that's right. At one point you look at a missing persons website, and Rachel was the only person in Arcadia Bay to go missing in the last 10 years. It seems like Jefferson's usual MO was not to kill the girls. But something happened with Rachel and she died and now things are spiraling out of his control.

That really changes the whole framework of this story if you notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just beat it. I want to give props to the writing for two specific scenes: First off, the decision to help Chloe kill herself in the alternate reality. You get THREE choices instead of just yes or no, and I must have sat at the screen for like 2 full minutes just like going over in my head what the consequences would be. Not just "poo poo should I be doing this, I mean this is what she wants, but then again she's not that old but then again" and also "what about when their parents come in, surely they'd instantly know what happened and know it was me and then ugh what poo poo". Of course, you time hop right after so those aren't concerns after all but it did make me stop and really think about which decision would be better. Also I liked that the alternate reality had a feel of everything not really feeling right. Like both realities had problems, but THIS one where Chloe's dad didn't die was still the wrong one. The atmosphere of the place just felt wrong.

I also want to give props to how they kind of faked me out with the Jefferson reveal. When you go into the underground bunker, everything just seems a little too perfect to implicate Nathan. It was one of those mystery things where Nathan being behind it was a little too obvious. So I was like okay Nathan clearly behind this, at least not completely, and I'm going to have to figure out to do with this Rampaging Chloe. But the game then throws a bunch of references to Sean Prescott, Nathan's father, at you repeatedly up until the final scene of the game. It really strongly tries to hint at you that the real mastermind behind everything is Nathan's father, and it completely blindsided me and made me completely forget about any suspicious of Jefferson I had. So it helped the final reveal

Also I'm betting 100% that the selfie you take with Warren is going to be how you're going to save Chloe and stop Mr. Jefferson. The alternate reality thing was clearly meant to be a set up for that, showing us how the Polaroid timehop works. She can't use any of the Polaroids she takes during the course of the game because she's not in the picture during any of them (besides the very beginning if you did that, which might come up?).

Major props also to the atmosphere of the Vortex Club party near the end. The music, the flashing lights, the really cramped/trapped feeling of it all, did a really good job of making everything feel really tense and off kilter.

My one complaint is that the Frank scene in this episode was kind of a pain in the rear end to get the resolution to it I wanted. It wouldn't be so bad if the scene skipping skipped from choice to choice instead of forcing you to skip periodically throughout the conversation. So there was a lot of trial and error that took too long. I do hope it pays off though and Frank helps save either Max or Max and Chloe, and avenge Rachel

edit: Oh yeah, and as much as Warren annoys me, I am shocked that letting Warren beat the loving hell out of Nathan wasn't the more popular choice. That poo poo was so satisfying

• Locked thread