Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress wireless charging, what else is out there besides the S5 that has a removable battery? Something no greater than 5". Idgaf about anything else as long as it either has 32gb of storage or a card slot. Only phones seem to be out there in a size I'd like are loving low end garbonzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When should we start seeing whatever phone will replace the Turbo? I expect that will be my next phone, but these new Motos are nice.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

When should we start seeing whatever phone will replace the Turbo? I expect that will be my next phone, but these new Motos are nice.

The new Moto X Play has a giant battery and a 1080p display and sadly isn't coming to the US, and the rumor is that it's because Verizon is getting it rebranded as the Turbo.

In related news, Verizon sucks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd be curious too when Apple decides to ditch Lightning in favor of USB-C.
It's an interesting question, but I don't expect they will. I'm not sure what their mobile devices would gain from it other than higher power delivery capabilities and standardizing connectors for the accessory market -- something they've never really seemed to care about before. If I remember correctly USB-C is a slightly larger physical connector than Lightning too; not that USB-C is huge.

It's not like USB-C was a surprise to Apple either. At least one well-connected source has said that Apple was the principal driver on the spec, and more or less gave USB-C to the standardizing body. But that's probably enough Apple chat for this thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

gently caress wireless charging, what else is out there besides the S5 that has a removable battery? Something no greater than 5". Idgaf about anything else as long as it either has 32gb of storage or a card slot. Only phones seem to be out there in a size I'd like are loving low end garbonzo

I don't think this phone exists from any reputable brand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Why do we care about USB Type-C at this point, exactly? I understand that it's undoubtedly the future connector everything will use, but since only a couple devices actually have the connector currently what good does it do you other than giving you a need to go buy USB-A to USB-C connectors for every charger you might come in contact with? Honest question, I feel like I'm missing something.
Sooner devices start using it, soon everybody else needs to hop on board.
chicken/egg problem, basically.

Qi is for convenience, turbocharging is for "oh poo poo!" moments. Phones really need both, and -C makes quick charging really simple.

I'm rather surprised the XStyle doesn't have the big battery. :(

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 28, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On one hand, I like the look of the new X and the idea of buying one universal phone I could use on any carrier in the US is appealing and getting the pure edition sidesteps carrier restrictions on software updates.

On the other hand, I'm struggling to see what the new X has over the Turbo. The snapdragon 808 seems more like a lateral move from the 805 from a PERFORMANCE perspective. However, the 808 is on a smaller process (20nm instead of 28nm), has an integrated cellular radio, and it switches to BIG.Little architecture. These could all mean significant power savings in the long run,. So, it's possible the new X could meet or outlast a Turbo in battery life even with the smaller battery.

It's also larger than the turbo, but a bit thinner.

I hope Moto gets review units out into the hands of people prior to the thing going on sale. I really want to see how Active Display is handled on a device with an LCD and really want to see what battery life is like. The camera is also something that needs a good going over to see if it's worth it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

codo27 posted:

What possible use is there for a removal battery nowadays.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's an interesting question, but I don't expect they will. I'm not sure what their mobile devices would gain from it other than higher power delivery capabilities and standardizing connectors for the accessory market -- something they've never really seemed to care about before. If I remember correctly USB-C is a slightly larger physical connector than Lightning too; not that USB-C is huge.

It's not like USB-C was a surprise to Apple either. At least one well-connected source has said that Apple was the principal driver on the spec, and more or less gave USB-C to the standardizing body. But that's probably enough Apple chat for this thread.

Apple marketing will spin the lightning cable as being 23% thinner than USB-C, which at the scale of sizes were talking about is nothing.

ilkhan posted:

I'm rather surprised the XStyle doesn't have the big battery. :(

Probably so they could keep the price at $399.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

uPen posted:

Not throwing away your phone in two years.

The Moto G I just bought doesn't have one but I figure since it's a budget phone, by the time that happens I'd want to get a new one anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Apple marketing will spin the lightning cable as being 23% thinner than USB-C, which at the scale of sizes were talking about is nothing.

Probably so they could keep the price at $399.
I think Apple will switch to type-C on the upcoming generation. They put it on the macbook....whatever it was this year already. Lets them shout about sharing chargers and maybe a bigger battery.

Fair enough on the $399. FWIW I'd pay $50 to get an extra 600mah.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I think Apple will switch to type-C on the upcoming generation. They put it on the macbook....whatever it was this year already. Lets them shout about sharing chargers and maybe a bigger battery.

Fair enough on the $399. FWIW I'd pay $50 to get an extra 600mah.

They'd likely just have a USB-C -> Lightning cable that you have to buy for another $30.

I also would pay for $449 for that phone with 3600mah, would also like it to be .5" smaller too. :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

uPen posted:

You're right, I really miss being tethered to a wall every day, it was much better than just having a spare I can pop in in 5 seconds like I do now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Something that just caught my eye on G+, one of the Android Police writers says the Snapdragon 615 is terrible:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife wants the Moto X Style. She loves my N6 but thinks it's too big and the camera is lovely (the latter I agree with, and the former is true for her).

She has a S4 currently, never wants a Samsung again, and no other flagship interested her much.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

You're right, I really miss being tethered to a wall every day, it was much better than just having a spare I can pop in in 5 seconds like I do now.

For the same size of a battery, pick up one of the USB battery vaults from Amazon for $20 that will charge your phone 2-3 times over.

For $30 and a little larger, one that'll do it 6-7 times over.

There, I solved your problem from 2008.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

You're right, I really miss carrying an extra battery, which I have to also charge at some point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/28/moto-x-pure-edition-2015-first-impressions-and-tour/

Near the end of the video you can see that active display is not only still there, but it looks to be enhanced even further. It shows off controls for Play Music.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

nocal posted:

You're right, I really miss carrying an extra battery, which I have to also charge at some point.

Sounds like a fine plan, to me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

My wife wants the Moto X Style. She loves my N6 but thinks it's too big and the camera is lovely (the latter I agree with, and the former is true for her).
Be aware that the Style isn't much smaller than the N6:

(Source)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

It shows off controls for Play Music.

Dear Motorola,

Please backport this to the older models ASAP.

Love,

nimpz

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

Be aware that the Style isn't much smaller than the N6:

I told her it would still be about as big as my old note 3 and she's ok with that. She's not like some people here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TraderStav posted:

For the same size of a battery, pick up one of the USB battery vaults from Amazon for $20 that will charge your phone 2-3 times over.

For $30 and a little larger, one that'll do it 6-7 times over.

There, I solved your problem from 2008.

Any battery pack I've ever seen is much, much thicker and heavier than my phones battery. Not to mention, then you still have to have the drat thing with a cord hanging out of your pocket if you're on the move. Don't even notice the spare in my pocket, throw the other in the wall charger and not have it affect my phone usage whatsoever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

The LG G3 is really compact for having a 5.5" screen because the bezels are tiny. Anyway, it has a replaceable battery.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

codo27 posted:

Any battery pack I've ever seen is much, much thicker and heavier than my phones battery. Not to mention, then you still have to have the drat thing with a cord hanging out of your pocket if you're on the move. Don't even notice the spare in my pocket, throw the other in the wall charger and not have it affect my phone usage whatsoever.

I've got one of those lipstick sized batteries with a 6" cord. Fits in my pocket just fine...but I'm a cargo short wearing goon so there's that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The battery is thinner than the A end of a USB cable, fits nicely in that little mini pocket in my jeans. Again, not only does it have a smaller footprint but I don't have to plug anything into the phone, certainly not for hours at a time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wait so only one of the new Moto X's will have active display, and its the most expensive one, and won't be called Moto X on Verizon?

edit: sorry, had thread open on another computer and lost a page or so of comments

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 28, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

Wait so only one of the new Moto X's will have active display, and its the most expensive one, and won't be called Moto X on Verizon?

edit: sorry, had thread open on another computer and lost a page or so of comments

US:

Moto X Pure Edition (active display) / Moto G (no active display)

Everywhere Else:

Moto X Style / Moto X Play / Moto G

Motorola will not be partnering with carriers for the new Moto X.

There is one device, the pure edition, it will work on all US carriers just like the Nexus 6. The only way to buy it is from moto themselves or 3rd party retailers. It will not be sold through carriers or carry any carrier subsidy.

This does not preclude Motorola from selling a Droid branded device through Verizon later this year, but the Moto X is an unbranded device in the US (that will work on Verizon just fine.)

I would not be surprised if this is a direct reaction to all the update debacles across all the carriers. This way, they can bypass carrier testing completely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

I would not be surprised if this is a direct reaction to all the update debacles across all the carriers. This way, they can bypass carrier testing completely.

Doesn't Verizon demand to certify and whitelist any device on their CDMA bands? I know they are precluded from that for LTE but I believe they have remained pretty drat strict about CDMA devices.

But yes, this is a good point, as appealing as the 0% financing is with the carriers for $400 flat out no contract without the carrier testing, cert and bloatware the Moto X might be my next phone although I am still pretty bummed about it not having a fingerprint reader.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Doesn't Verizon demand to certify and whitelist any device on their CDMA bands? I know they are precluded from that for LTE but I believe they have remained pretty drat strict about CDMA devices.

But yes, this is a good point, as appealing as the 0% financing is with the carriers for $400 flat out no contract without the carrier testing, cert and bloatware the Moto X might be my next phone although I am still pretty bummed about it not having a fingerprint reader.

If you are buying NEW service, they check to see if the ID is in the DB, but nothing stops you from sticking a SIM card into a phone that supports all the relevant radios and have it work. People were doing it with the Nexus 7 before it was on the whitelist as well as the Nexus 6. There's also no reason to believe that Motorola won't get the stuff on the whitelist anyways, they advertise the phone working with Verizon.

More camera info for the X including some sample shots.

http://phandroid.com/2015/07/28/motorola-moto-x-style-pure-edition-camera-review/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

If you are buying NEW service, they check to see if the ID is in the DB, but nothing stops you from sticking a SIM card into a phone that supports all the relevant radios and have it work. People were doing it with the Nexus 7 before it was on the whitelist as well as the Nexus 6. There's also no reason to believe that Motorola won't get the stuff on the whitelist anyways, they advertise the phone working with Verizon.

I'm not suggesting that it doesn't work with Verizon, if Motorola says that it works with Verizon it works with Verizon, I'm saying that doesn't mean Verizon isn't going to demand to certify updates to keep it on the CDMA network which they have have both the ability to do as well as shown the willingness to do so. The GSM carriers hands are pretty tied on that though.

As for the SIM card, that only activates the LTE radios on Verizon, no? I was under the impression that the CDMA side still had to be whitelisted and activated even with an LTE SIM.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, I was really hoping the new Moto Xs would have wireless charging :(
Had opened the thread on phone without reading it all so it skipped this section next time I opened on desktop.

People have been hoping for qi on the moto X since the first generation. Motor just hates us.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What the hell, mobilesyrup says the Play is coming to Canada (but not Rogers) and nothing has been announced about the Style. Motorola is the only phone company that treats Canada like this still. Reminds me of the mid 2000s when I had to buy the best phones on eBay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I'm not suggesting that it doesn't work with Verizon, if Motorola says that it works with Verizon it works with Verizon, I'm saying that doesn't mean Verizon isn't going to demand to certify updates to keep it on the CDMA network which they have have both the ability to do as well as shown the willingness to do so. The GSM carriers hands are pretty tied on that though.

As for the SIM card, that only activates the LTE radios on Verizon, no? I was under the impression that the CDMA side still had to be whitelisted and activated even with an LTE SIM.

Incorrect on all accounts. Again, we already have precedent with the Nexus 6. Play Store Nexus 6 models update in lock step with other Play Store Nexus 6 models. Only the Verizon branded ones are updated alone.

There is no such thing as separate LTE and CDMA activation. Activation on 4g phones on Verizon is done through the SIM period. It is not possible for a phone or other device to only get activation on the LTE network and not also the CDMA network (unless it completely lacks CDMA radios of course.) There's only one door to the network and the SIM card is the key.

There isn't a "CDMA Whitelist" when it comes to LTE phones. The list they have is simply to provision a new SIM card. That's all it's for. They need to tie an MEID to a SIM activation to ensure it's provisioned with the correct features. Once you have an activated SIM, you need only be sure your phone has the correct radios. It's a quirk of their provisioning system and has nothing at all to do with CDMA.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 29, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wow, those samples good.

Even though the image processing software is likely still in development, it looks promising so far.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So were any of these announced devices that one Motorola put into the FCC recently that revealed it had MIMO WiFi?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't help but be a bit disappointed with these Moto announcements. Like SIR FAT JONY IVES there's no way I'm not continuing to use the flotilla of Tylt Vus I have and lack of Qi is a complete dealbreaker in every way. I like the direction and really like Motorola devices in general but for me I just can't see not having access to factory images (makes things so much nicer in every way), not having an easy root solution for adblocking (which I know Apple is doing just to piss off Google but they're right, web tracking is really untenable in its current state), and no Qi means no matter how much I like the OEM and their hardware I just can't cross that bridge.

I'd get a Nexus 6 if it weren't for the AMOLED and gimped notification LED. I don't care so much about the breathing, size, or forthcoming fingerprint reader but I love the LED far too much to consider something without it. I've been around Active Display and the N6 enough to know that it's a poor substitute for the N5's excellent LED.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Joining the disappointment in lack of Qi charging.

My Droid Maxx died on my last week, so I am slumming it with a Moto E till my contract is up and something better is available. I was hoping it would be the new X, but I can't give up Qi charging.

So now I am left waiting to see what the 2015 Droid line offers, or wait for the next Nexus.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I didn't think I cared about wireless charging until I got a Vu for my bedside table. My next phone must have both wireless and quick charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'll just have to be extra smug about having a Turbo/Maxx, since Motorola apparently doesn't want to release a true successor. :smug:

If only they could get the Lollipop updates out just a little faster... :negative: