Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think anyone really stands out ahead of Deku. Maybe Bakugou except he's literally a high school bully so that might push his popularity down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I probably should've voted for Kirishima or Tetsutetsu but instead I voted for Pinky. I'm sorry, I've let everyone down

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I actually had to look up a couple names as they belonged to characters who hadn't done much.

I don't know how I ever forgot about Lunch Rush but he's almost certainly the best hero.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DoubleDonut posted:

I probably should've voted for Kirishima or Tetsutetsu but instead I voted for Pinky. I'm sorry, I've let everyone down

I voted Alien Queen as well, but I was sorely tempted to give Souji some much-needed support.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoubleDonut posted:

If I remember correctly, in YuYu Hakusho Hiei was not going to appear after his initial appearance, but was insanely popular in polls so he was turned into a main character.

This is true. Hiei was super evil and clearly a villain from his first appearance, even having an evil looking true form. Then he placed Number 1 in the popularity polls so he became a main character. (He also never used his true monstrous demon form again.)

Anyway I voted Ashido because I really like her look and want to see more of her.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i couldn't not vote for Uraraka, despite her inevitable top 10 place without any help from me

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway I voted Ashido because I really like her look and want to see more of her.

iirc the bonus pages said that Ashido is one of the author's favorite characters, but he just didn't get a chance to show her off. So we're in luck, since I too want to know what her deal is.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Voted All Might. Who is the best.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gyges posted:

Are there enough English translation readers to swing this poll, or will the voting might of Japan render our superior view point moot?

I believe the English poll is a separate one from the Japanese one. The results of the Japanese poll come out in the next issue.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
This manga legit has a ton of cool, fun characters which I like, which is one of the author's strengths, so I don't really mind who wins.

Except for Venom Chainsaw. gently caress that guy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope that Tail Man or Invisible Girl or someone else who hasn't gotten to do much ends up being inexplicably really popular

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Was invisible girl on the poll? I couldn't see her.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Voted Fumikage because he is the coolest.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I know that all the names were in all-caps, but "TETSU TETSU TETSU TETSU" is kind of perfect.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I voted for Mineta because his utterly pathetic despair during the beginning of the villain invasion arc captured my heart.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Voted for Tsuyu because come on. :getin:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Bad Seafood is right. I mean, Lunch Rush is obvs the best hero, guys. :colbert:

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, we've passed a year, so the series is pretty much set for life! :toot:

I can't wait for the anime in like three years!
God no. As much as I look forward to seeing this manga in motion, I fear so much for the stereotypical "anime ending" that so many SJ serializations are treated to before they've actually ended. If it's not given to a lovely studio (Eyeshield 21, Hitman Reborn), it'll have a rushed, cut off, unsatisfying ending (not SJ, but Trigun, Fruits Basket and the first Fullmetal Alchemist come to mind). Or it could be a bloated, unending slog a la One Piece. I just feel really strongly about my animus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

This manga legit has a ton of cool, fun characters which I like, which is one of the author's strengths, so I don't really mind who wins.

Except for Venom Chainsaw. gently caress that guy.

Just you wait. When Chainsaw shows up, I'll bet he'll end up being ludicrously rad.

Turns out All Might was crippled for life by being exposed to his raw charisma.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Just you wait. When Chainsaw shows up, I'll bet he'll end up being ludicrously rad.

Turns out All Might was crippled for life by being exposed to his raw charisma.

I hope it's just Jack from Madworld, or something equally as ridiculous.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Requesting Venom Chainsaw fights to be in westernized monochrome.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I wish I could have liked Madworld more. The black-and-white with splashes of red style was great... but only if you weren't moving. Because then it turned into an unplayable mess. But yeah, Jack would absolutely fit right into BHA, what with being Japanese takes on Americanisms.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

kinmik posted:

God no. As much as I look forward to seeing this manga in motion, I fear so much for the stereotypical "anime ending" that so many SJ serializations are treated to before they've actually ended. If it's not given to a lovely studio (Eyeshield 21, Hitman Reborn), it'll have a rushed, cut off, unsatisfying ending (not SJ, but Trigun, Fruits Basket and the first Fullmetal Alchemist come to mind). Or it could be a bloated, unending slog a la One Piece. I just feel really strongly about my animus.
I actually found Trigun's anime ending to be far more effective than its manga counterpart, even if it otherwise didn't always make great use of the source material.

Point taken with FMA though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hope the series gets more chapters in before it gets an anime. If they get enough material to do a complete season worth of arcs with a cap on the end it will be fine in the hands of a good studio...

It'll probably get picked up by a bad studio though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kinmik posted:

Bad Seafood is right. I mean, Lunch Rush is obvs the best hero, guys. :colbert:

This isn't true though. Assassination Classroom did a 22 episode season that ended at a pretty good stopping point that pretty much implied that there'll be more at some point down the line. An example of a non-SJ Shounen series getting the same treatment would be Attack on Titan, which just stopped at an appropriate part in the story. I think nowadays publishers are more wary of killing off people's interest in a series by extending it with filler or the word of mouth spreading around that "this isn't like the original work at all".

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
BEST JEANIST was the clear choice in that poll.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Spoilers for the japanese popularity poll might be out already: http://i.imgur.com/7giOUhI.jpg

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure those are just the voting options.

That or Japan voted for everyone in the same order they were listed on the VIZ poll.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty sure those are just the voting options.

That or Japan voted for everyone in the same order they were listed on the VIZ poll.

Makes sense, my bad.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
You can tell poll results spreads because there is always a spread drawing of the top ~10 characters, with the winner being central and drawn larger etc.

I'd be interested to see the numbers involved with the polls. The WSJ polls can vary a lot in the number of voters. I saw a Bleach one, presumably from way back that hit 75000, even the ultra-popular One Piece has never even hit around 70000, whereas then you've got a Medaka Box poll with 14000 (where one of the series villains got ~3800, about 2900 votes above second place).

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Spoilers for the japanese popularity poll might be out already: http://i.imgur.com/7giOUhI.jpg

Why didn't SJ include pictures for use along with the names?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Nah, Chainsaw is the Anubis of the MHA world. Not the Orbital Frame, the Stand.

Unfortunately, unlike Anubis, Venom Chainsaw has no ability to give the saw wielder his physicality, so this results in his super-ness going up and down between incarnations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, can't believe no one posted this yet:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That's cool but reminds me we need to see more of that really weird Tentacle guy. Also Sugar Man, what is even his power?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Fabricated posted:

Hope the series gets more chapters in before it gets an anime. If they get enough material to do a complete season worth of arcs with a cap on the end it will be fine in the hands of a good studio...

For better or worse this series seems tailor made for filler arcs. A contemporary setting where practically everyone has super powers is wide open for stories.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't mind seeing a real tight 12 or 24 episode show come out of this but something that just dragged on endlessly would be disappointing I think.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DeadBonesBrook posted:

For better or worse this series seems tailor made for filler arcs. A contemporary setting where practically everyone has super powers is wide open for stories.
Well, there's a whole tournament arc where the majority of the fights were either not shown or simply summarized, the bonus games for the first/second round washouts, etc. You could do a canon filler of the Sports Festival and run that poo poo into the ground forever.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

That's cool but reminds me we need to see more of that really weird Tentacle guy. Also Sugar Man, what is even his power?

I have been having a lovely day and this legitimately made me crack the gently caress up. God I love this so much, they even put the little busted up dude in the background.

edit- Apparently the chinese uploader will be uploading the chapter tomorrow instead of tonight.

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 30, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fabricated posted:

Jump usually waits for around 100 chapters before making an anime. There are a couple that were commissioned below that like the first Hunter x Hunter and Bakuman, but it'll usually be 2 years before we see an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Allarion posted:

Jump usually waits for around 100 chapters before making an anime. There are a couple that were commissioned below that like the first Hunter x Hunter and Bakuman, but it'll usually be 2 years before we see an anime.

That would be great. At the pace of this comic, by the two or three year mark there will be plenty of material. Though I do hope that the inevitable series skews towards to further ends of that.