Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
[quote="Macaluso" post="448282416"]
My one complaint is that the Frank scene in this episode was kind of a pain in the rear end to get the resolution to it I wanted. It wouldn't be so bad if the scene skipping skipped from choice to choice instead of forcing you to skip periodically throughout the conversation. So there was a lot of trial and error that took too long. I do hope it pays off though and Frank helps save either Max or Max and Chloe, and avenge Rachel

I guess I got lucky with this scene because I got the nonviolent result without needing to rewind, and didn't realize how bad it could have gone until seeing the ending choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think that's right. At one point you look at a missing persons website, and Rachel was the only person in Arcadia Bay to go missing in the last 10 years. It seems like Jefferson's usual MO was not to kill the girls. But something happened with Rachel and she died and now things are spiraling out of his control.

This is a really important thing I think gets overlooked a lot in LiS theorycrafting.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Wow. What a goddamn episode. Just got done playing it (it was long, like 5+ hours long) after binging through the first three episodes for the third time yesterday. I think that had a big influence on how I played, as I felt way more connected to Max. Now for the huge block of spoilers.

I didn't euthanize Chloe. It may have been the right choice and what she wanted, but I had this horrible feeling I would have to stay/come back to this universe and I did not want to get accused of murder. Having Chloe pissed off at me is a much better outcome imo.

I thought the episode played out really well. I loved going to the hospital to meet Kate, which is probably one of the sweetest moments in the game. Had a big smile on my face throughout that scene. I did manage to not kill Frank after about 10 rewinds, kept pressing the wrong buttons and getting him shot. I was tempted to leave it, but Chloe iswas :smith: hosed up enough already. The evidence scene was a bitch as well, I didn't really get what I was doing for a while but as soon as it clicked I was golden.

I felt absolutely awful throughout the whole of the barn scene, just a really bad feeling in my stomach. Nathan was obviously there and involved, but it never sat quite right with me (also - am I going crazy or did I see a photo of Rachel and Nathan both looking absolutely out of it? I swear Max says something like "this looks posed" as well... get the feeling Nathan isn't as willing as we might be led to believe). All in all, pretty grim. I don't really understand how Chloe knew where Rachel was buried either - did I miss that bit?

Again, I told Victoria what was up (I've done the whole "be super nice to everyone" thing), as soon as I did that and saw Mark I was like "fuckkkkk". I figured that Victoria would run to him ("I have people I can go to" or something). That ending though, god drat...

I wasn't really sure how Chloe figured out where to go, but someone asked on the last few pages how he could've gotten to the scrapyard so quickly - he just needed to follow them, really. He wasn't hiding in the bushes next to Rachel, he walked up behind Max and injected her.

A few questions I haven't seen answered:

- What happens if Kate is dead? Presumably she doesn't tell you Nathan's room number, conversation is less "you're a hero" and more "you tried!"?
- Does accusing David have any impact on the plot? What about siding with him?

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Macaluso posted:

I just beat it. I want to give props to the writing for two specific scenes: First off, the decision to help Chloe kill herself in the alternate reality. You get THREE choices instead of just yes or no, and I must have sat at the screen for like 2 full minutes just like going over in my head what the consequences would be.

Agreed. I wasn't worried about the consequences as much as I was... shocked ? disappointed ? upset ? betrayed? (not sure what the correct word would be) that Chloe would put me in that position.

quote:

edit: Oh yeah, and as much as Warren annoys me, I am shocked that letting Warren beat the loving hell out of Nathan wasn't the more popular choice. That poo poo was so satisfying

I can no more encourage beating Nathan up for doing what he did than I would encourage punching someone with Down's Syndrome. Nathan has a deficiency in his brain and needs help.

Speaking of Nathan, it wouldn't surprise me if he is dead in episode 5.
- On the big clue board when you are putting all the pieces together, Mr. Jefferson's car was also being tracked. You can see that he went out to the barn on 10/04 at 9:54 PM, the same time Nathan's truck is there.
- Nathan's coat was left in the dark room.
- No one at the party has seen Nathan.
- Mr. Jefferson at the party, "Nathan? I havn't seen him since, uh, this afternoon!"
- Mr. Jefferson has Nathan's phone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

That really changes the whole framework of this story if you notice it.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the way things have been going is something like this - For some amount of time Jefferson and Nathan (possibly with some amount of complicity of Sean Prescott) have been drugging girls so that Jefferson could photograph them. They weren't killing them and I'm not sure whether anything else was being done to them or not, but afterwards they were being let go with no memory of what happened.

But with Rachel something went wrong. One of the photos of her, Max comments that she looks "furious as loving hell". So she's awake and conscious and knows that she's been tied up, and presumably who tied her. So maybe she was then accidentally killed or maybe because she knew Jefferson had her he killed her on purpose. They then buried her in the junkyard.

After that it seems like there was a huge gap since if the books are all in order, the only two abductions that have happened since Rachel were Kate and Chloe, and those both happened fairly recently, while Rachel disappeared way back in April. So maybe her death scared them into stopping their activities for a while. Now they've started up again, but Nathan's abductions of Kate and Chloe were sloppy. Rachel's death probably unsettled Nathan and sent him deeper into drugs and mental instability. Jefferson on the other hand seems to be escalating. They didn't kill Kate, but once he discovered that she remembered some things, Jefferson probably tried to drive her to suicide. He casually murders Chloe and he was already planning to go ahead with taking Victoria so soon after the recent events.

Basically this isn't the story of an established serial killer. It's something weirder and he's progressively been getting worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Also I'm betting 100% that the selfie you take with Warren is going to be how you're going to save Chloe and stop Mr. Jefferson. The alternate reality thing was clearly meant to be a set up for that, showing us how the Polaroid timehop works. She can't use any of the Polaroids she takes during the course of the game because she's not in the picture during any of them (besides the very beginning if you did that, which might come up?).

There are four unskippable polaroids with Max in them throughout the game. There's the first selfie that kicks off the entire story, the one with Chloe in her bedroom taken in Episode 3, the one with Warren in Episode 4, and curiously enough, Max's reflection in the butterfly picture. I think it will be interesting to see how/if these are used.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
oh my loving god. we never see the entirety of rachel's corpse, we dont see her face, and people have remarked on multiple occasions how similar max looks to rachel when wearing rachels clothes

e: and she's buried in such a shallow grave that you can dig it up with your hands within like 20 seconds

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Torgo2727 posted:

- Mr. Jefferson at the party, "Nathan? I havn't seen him since, uh, this afternoon!"

I think this came up slightly earlier in the episode. When you go back to the dorm to find him, you can ask pretty much everyone when they last saw him. I'm not expecting everyone to know where everyone else is, but you get two or three different answers from the handful of people, from "just now" to much earlier, but no-one mentions seeing him come back between the two.

Something else I just thought of - Lot of talk about how the selfie with Warren might be how you go back, but people are saying you could only stay in a certain area in the kitchen photo. We never see exactly where Chloe goes at the party, do we? You come in the main entrance, go round the pool, then meet Chloe and Mark at the back door. Warren takes the photo just after you show up, near the car park. Near the back door. You could easily run into either Mark or Chloe if you hung around.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

klapman posted:

oh my loving god. we never see the entirety of rachel's corpse, we dont see her face, and people have remarked on multiple occasions how similar max looks to rachel when wearing rachels clothes

I think this is supposed to hint that you are in danger of being a target for Mr. J, if he has a favorite type of victim anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I enjoyed that episode.

So does Max have have memories of her life in the alternate timeline, or does she piece her history together by looking at stuff? I am pretty sure, she doesn't know anything, since the other Max seems like a totally different person.

Stupid theory time:
Alternate timeline Max is in on everything. And is hanging out in their hideout. What else could she be talking about here? :v:

EDIT.
Okay that started as a joke, since of course she could mean something else, but it could be true. Or maybe, in that universe Nathan never became that unhinged and is using that room for good things. Poor guy...

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 28, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Air is lava! posted:

I enjoyed that episode.

So does Max have have memories of her life in the alternate timeline, or does she piece her history together by looking at stuff? I am pretty sure, she doesn't know anything, since the other Max seems like a totally different person.

Stupid theory time:
Alternate timeline Max is in on everything. And is hanging out in their hideout. What else could she be talking about here? :v:

It took me a second to remember that "dark room" is just an ordinary photography term even though that's why the Dark Room is called "the Dark Room"

If we actually do meet evil alternate universe Max it'd be so loopy and weird I'd kind of love it, though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I thought the episode played out really well. I loved going to the hospital to meet Kate, which is probably one of the sweetest moments in the game. Had a big smile on my face throughout that scene. I did manage to not kill Frank after about 10 rewinds, kept pressing the wrong buttons and getting him shot.
It took me a lot of tries too. I think it was a little weak the way Rachel Photo was SUCH a different option than Rachel Letter.

There were quite a few dialogue/choice options this episode that were massively unclear to me.

quote:

I don't really understand how Chloe knew where Rachel was buried either - did I miss that bit?
In the photo, you can see a H of a sign behind the pit. Chloe knows the junkyard and its signs pretty well.

quote:

- What happens if Kate is dead? Presumably she doesn't tell you Nathan's room number, conversation is less "you're a hero" and more "you tried!"?
To be fair, the scene with Kate was nice, and you can appreciate the effort of them including it from a character perspective, but it was basically meaningless to the story. The slate next to Nathan's room says "PRESCOTTS RULE" or something. It's not like she saved you a lot of detective work there.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Air is lava! posted:

I enjoyed that episode.

Stupid theory time:

EDIT.
Okay that started as a joke, since of course she could mean something else, but it could be true. Or maybe, in that universe Nathan never became that unhinged and is using that room for good things. Poor guy...

She's in the dark room developing Polaroids. Nothing suspicious about that at all :haw:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't actually use the Rachel photo option, I used "You know Rachel" and that seemed to work as a whole "She was closer to you than maybe anyone" type thing.

Edit: Spoilered just in case.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 28, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

seravid posted:

She's in the dark room developing Polaroids. Nothing suspicious about that at all :haw:

Alt Chloe just has a less twee photography practice. :v:

SirSamVimes posted:

I didn't actually use the Rachel photo option, I used "You know Rachel" and that seemed to work as a whole "She was closer to you than maybe anyone" type thing.

That's what I did, too (after murdering him once and stabbing him like three or four times, good grief.)

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
For those wondering, it seemed pretty obvious to me that he had to kill Rachel because she woke up during the photo shoot. Max points out that Kate was asleep for the whole thing, while one of Rachel's photos is the moment she wakes up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rincewind posted:

That's what I did, too (after murdering him once and stabbing him like three or four times, good grief.)

That too. Also I edited in a spoiler, so maybe edit that in your quote?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirSamVimes posted:

It took forever for me cause I kept discarding the photo and letter options as pointless because surely that would set him off because that proved you were in his RV. Then the photo option actually worked, and that actually kind of annoyed me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The photo you didn't actually find in his RV, but was on Frank's person in the diner. You can even question him about it in Ep. 3.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also the theory that Jefferson is Nathan's dad doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wouldn't everyone know what the most famous man in town looks like?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing that hasn't received enough love is the connecting the clues puzzle.

I love the fact that you actually need to mentally make connections to figure it out, and brute forcing it would just take forever. Also it's so refreshing to see an actual puzzle in a point and click adventure game which isn't "use object A on interactable B"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Torgo2727 posted:

- Mr. Jefferson has Nathan's phone.

Thing that doesn't make sense to me is how he has his phone. The phone is supposed to be back at chloe's house.

How could they get a text from a phone that they should have in their possession?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I love the fact that you actually need to mentally make connections to figure it out, and brute forcing it would just take forever. Also it's so refreshing to see an actual puzzle in a point and click adventure game which isn't "use object A on interactable B"

the best part of that puzzle is later on if you actually paid attention it makes the vault door second nature to open and you feel like a boss

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thing that doesn't make sense to me is how he has his phone. The phone is supposed to be back at chloe's house.

How could they get a text from a phone that they should have in their possession?

nathan has lots of phones. theres messages that tell him to stop using his throwaway phones to call his dad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

This was so good. It wasn't very difficult or anything, but it was fun.

pog boyfriend posted:

the best part of that puzzle is later on if you actually paid attention it makes the vault door second nature to open and you feel like a boss

Yeah that was also great.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Nathan's always texted them from burner cells with blocked numbers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I couldn't use that to open the vault door because I didn't even know there was a scrapbook of all examined documents. I used the alternate solution of guessing based on the worn numbers. Puzzles with multiple solutions are cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I couldn't use that to open the vault door because I didn't even know there was a scrapbook of all examined documents. I used the alternate solution of guessing based on the worn numbers. Puzzles with multiple solutions are cool

My favorite of the lesser known options is from Episode 3 when Chloe asks if you want to sneak into the pool through the girl's or boy's locker room. You can then reverse time and just pop out of the door at her. Must be a trip for Chloe constantly seeing Max teleport all over the place.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's funny that nobody ever really seems to notice that you seem to be everywhere at roughly the same time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't know about that. Dontnod have put an incredible amount of effort into this game, and it makes me wonder if Remember Me's very flawed nature was more the result of publishers.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's funny that nobody ever really seems to notice that you seem to be everywhere at roughly the same time.

at the end people start to realize that its amazing how you pull everything off and help everyone and brooke even jokes that you have super powers but nobody really notices. i think thats kind of the point though. the game likes to show how people are self obsessed and dont notice people around them until they have a good reason to

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite of the lesser known options is from Episode 3 when Chloe asks if you want to sneak into the pool through the girl's or boy's locker room. You can then reverse time and just pop out of the door at her. Must be a trip for Chloe constantly seeing Max teleport all over the place.

She's already sick of your poo poo if you do it too. It's great.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

it seems like a lot more work went into ep 4 than the others, i really enjoyed this episode quite a lot

i am also glad to see all the situations where there were multiple ways to solve the puzzle, like i had to use the code on the SIM card to get the phone unlocked, and i guessed the code on the bunker on my second try because I immediately caught onto the worn numbers thing, attention to detail like that is something that i like :neckbeard:

and the duplicate moon dimming out and disappearing pretty much made me think "yeah chloe is going to bite it soon" but i did not expect Jefferson at all

also count me in as another person who did not know there was an archive of all the documents you'd looked at, that would have been pretty helpful to know about!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I think the whole nature of the relationship between Mr. Jefferson and Nathan is that Mr. Jefferson is grooming Nathan as a serial killer. They remind me a lot of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the Columbine shooters. Harris was a sociopath and he really led Klebold down the path that led to the shooting. In the same way, Mr. Jefferson found Nathan and saw a spoiled but abused rich kid with issues which was exactly what he was looking for. Ever since, he's been pushing Nathan to be more involved in their crimes. I think it probably started with Rachel. Mr. Jefferson forced Nathan to kill and bury Rachel to make him an accomplice.

Now Mr. Jefferson uses Nathan as a go-between for drugs and to drug/lure kids to the dark room where Jefferson creates his creepy art.

In regards to Max's power, does Jefferson know about it? It seems to me he might. There's no reason to drug Max first then shoot Chloe otherwise. He easily could have just shot Chloe and then held Max at gunpoint while he drugged her.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
In my game Chloe pulled a gun on him, which explains why he shot her and only drugged Max. But I suppose it's possible that he just happened to get the drop on Max and realised trying to inject Chloe without the element of surprise would be too tricky.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VagueRant posted:

In my game Chloe pulled a gun on him, which explains why he shot her and only drugged Max. But I suppose it's possible that he just happened to get the drop on Max and realised trying to inject Chloe without the element of surprise would be too tricky.

She always has the gun

if you tell her to throw it away earlier, she picks it up after, if you don't beat up nathan she doesn't get the gun, but if frank takes the gun from you, when you get the codes by any means you get the gun back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rosalind posted:

In regards to Max's power, does Jefferson know about it? It seems to me he might. There's no reason to drug Max first then shoot Chloe otherwise. He easily could have just shot Chloe and then held Max at gunpoint while he drugged her.

Since Episode 3 I've felt (and the two moons thing kind of supports this) that someone besides Max in Arcadia Bay has time travel powers, and the phenomena we're seeing is the result of the timelines getting all hosed up and converging upon one another.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I don't see how Max hiding or not hiding William's car keys would have any affect on the orbit of the moon.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 29, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Torgo2727 posted:

I don't see how Max hiding or not hiding William's car keys would have any affect on the orbit of the moon.

The moon is the other time traveller :tinfoil:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rosalind posted:

Jefferson didn't necessarily know Chloe, she wasn't part of his plan. He already had a binder for Max though.

Think that David's gonna find the mystery board in Chloe's room and figure poo poo out. Otherwise it's hard to imagine how things will play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
LIFE IS DRANKS has JUST BEGUN.

http://www.twitch.tv/broteam

CRACK EM.

• Locked thread