Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The new Paradox game is going to be a RPG/simulation of being a Mesopotamian farmer during the rise of civilization, as you try to get by under the lash of the local magistrates and teach your son and daughter (aged 7 and 3 respectively) to raise pigs instead of stabbing them for fun and learn what kind of soil is best suited for which crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Hoping for Civilisation: Paradox Edition.
I would probably :vince: hard enough to break my chair if that happened.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last good civ game was freeciv so I sure hope not

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Pretty sure they've explicitly said they have no intention of ever doing a 'all history' Civ style game.

Which is sort of a shame, because I do think it could potentially be pretty fun.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I'm still guessing Roman era city builder.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Still betting on an Roman era grand strategy game of some sort. It probably won't have the same focus as EU4 (Empire management with little internal politics but colonies and trade) or CK2 (dynasty management game) but a unique focus that fits that time.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It's some new World of Tanks spinoff for consoles, Paradox got corrupted by money after Cities: Skylines.

Terrain is destructible :toot:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BgRdMchne posted:

A pre-modern city builder would be the bee's knees. Something halfway between Anno 1404 and Cities: Skylines would sell like hotcakes, I tells ya.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I should see if I can get my CD of Caesar 2 running.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

fermun posted:

Caissa seems most appropriate, really.
Unlike the genuine Roman gods and goddesses, Caissa was invented in 1527.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Turns out it's just Runemaster again. :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Paradox stop playing with my heart and do a spacegame

"The natives spotted a comet. Blaming the new settlements for the bad omen, they have begun attacking our colonists!"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

A literal Rome citybuilder which is a mix of Cities and CK2 would be excellent. You manage a family and try to spread your influence across the city in order to get votes while making enemies of other factions and do things like send your children off-map to spend some years campaigning for prestige and loot.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty sure they've explicitly said they have no intention of ever doing a 'all history' Civ style game.

Which is sort of a shame, because I do think it could potentially be pretty fun.

Steppe Wolfe. Praise be.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Gort posted:

Hoping for Civilization: Paradox Edition.
A certain Portuguese man tried this, and ended up in an insane asylum.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

It probably would be, but actually designing mechanics that made sense throughout every era of history, to the level of detail that Paradox games are known for, would just be insane. Like how do you make a system that simulates both ancient tribal warfare and modern combined arms without abstracting the whole thing to a Civ-like generic "strength" level for units where higher tech = more strength?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It probably would be, but actually designing mechanics that made sense throughout every era of history, to the level of detail that Paradox games are known for, would just be insane. Like how do you make a system that simulates both ancient tribal warfare and modern combined arms without abstracting the whole thing to a Civ-like generic "strength" level for units where higher tech = more strength?
thats the thing - you can use a "strength" mechanic, just make sure it is not a poo poo mechanic. It would not be that hard for Civ to have interesting non-annihilation based combat. I havent played the game in aaaaages because its loving awful in my heavily biased opinion but the combat was previously just dumb "toss units a problem until it went away". There was no point to trying to be tactical or strategic, upgrading, or using a variety of units. There are plenty of things you can do with a little of effort -and a few layers of complication- to make an interesting combat system for such a big game. Considering we are posting in a Paradox thread, I would guess that a few layers of complication would not be the end of the world to the vast majority of us if it would actually make the game's combat interesting, intuitive, and/or fun.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wukkar posted:

A certain Portuguese man tried this, and ended up in an insane asylum.

FRAMED!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mans posted:

FRAMED!

Hahaha holy poo poo :vince:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's just the new Mount and Blade, where you stab cows instead of pigs and terrain matters because it determines the battlefield when you fight and there are seven factions and your character can be one of three genders.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
If it's another EU:Rome, can we look forward to another Crete LP?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This thread is going to be so heartbroken when it turns out not to be Rome 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'd be totally alright with a China/East Asia game instead of another Rome game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'll be disappointed if it's not a grand strategy game but otherwise outside of weird niche settings I'd be pretty happy with anything.

e: actually that's not true, no offense to Paradox but I worry a bit about them doing a fantasy or sci fi game. I'm probably not giving them enough credit on that though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
When are we finding out, anyway? (I.e. when is Gamescom or whatever)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

This thread is going to be so heartbroken when it turns out not to be Rome 2.

I'm gonna make a Rome 2 mod for it, if it's not Rome 2 itself.

Rome 2, a mod for Paradox's Galactic Space Adventurer Bear Colony-Builder.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Allyn posted:

When are we finding out, anyway? (I.e. when is Gamescom or whatever)
Gamescom starts Thursday next week. Dunno if they've said what day the reveal will be.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Terrain has mattered in all of the paradox games though and not a single one has had pig stabbing except for maybe CKII...but I think that event is about boars.
Not sure any of those hints are really hints...

Unless paradox is finally deciding to get into the market of smashing genre monopolies after Cities Skylines.
Next up, the Sims. Paradox is coming for you EA. Don't blink.

Jeoh posted:

the villagers have spotted a pig in the sky

- it's an omen
- stab it
- give it a good tumble
- dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

-It's just a little airborne. It's still good, it's still good!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

vyelkin posted:

It's just the new Mount and Blade, where you stab cows instead of pigs and terrain matters because it determines the battlefield when you fight and there are seven factions and your character can be one of three genders.

PDX isn't publishing the new M&B :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Baronjutter posted:

I want a Rome with a converter to CK2 with a converter to EU4 and for Groogy to maintain them all and have the conversion process scan my brain to make sure my personal narrative is accurately translated.

What ever horrific thing did I ever do to your person to deserve this malicious intent from you good sir?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 29, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Game of Thrones Grand Strategy.
7 Kingdoms
3 Free Cities
Something something pigs

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

You're slightly off there, mate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

You're slightly off there, mate.

Fine, then three dragons.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

quote:

Game Director is Henrik Fåhraeus, 15 year industry veteran, lead designer behind the Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron series
So uh yeah, doesn't say much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Star posted:

If you wanted to make a war/strategy game with strong rpg elements...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Star posted:

It says its a map game.

Unless it's a red herring because Henrik wanted to make an animal crossing game in China all along :tinfoil:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Star posted:

Well he does make better games/expansions than Johan.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
People are going to be so angry when the title of Project Augustus is revealed to simply be Augustus.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Frogfingers posted:

People are going to be so angry when the title of Project Augustus is revealed to simply be Augustus.

Um, no. That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Frogfingers posted:

:ms:

• Locked thread