Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

seorin posted:

Personally, I'd be happy if B4 and F4 refreshed Umbral/Astral.

It's pretty much this, like the entire class just feels like it went in this really horrible direction playwise and no one went "No this is stupid and unfun please stop." Like getting forced to move on your second Fire 4 and having Astral fall off and then having to restart the rotation again feels as fun as starting your car after it stalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The current state of red scrips is in your best interests, whether you realize it or not. The quantity of crafts needed to max red scrips per week is driving prices on subcomponent materials like Aurum Regis Nuggets and the like, boosting their profitability beyond what it's lifespan would otherwise be. This provides ample money making opportunities, and as time goes on it will only get easier and easier to convert that money into gear. If you're relying on red scrip and only red scrip to get your gear you're kinda loving up.

As Vahalla said, the chief failure of the crafting system right now is that the 2* crafting gear serves no real purpose. There are no desireable 2* recipes for non-crafters, and most crafters because of this realize that there's nothing really to be gained from dumping millions upon millions of gil into hellrushing the 2* gearsets. The result is a lethargic market.

That profitability will be short lived if the numbers aren't relaxed some. People are trying red scrip out because it's a new system, but only a few will stick with the steep and expensive grind in the long run. Exactly how few remains to be seen, but I think it would be healthier for the economy in the long run to have more people participating in a shorter grind as opposed to a small number participating in a really long grind.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's great man. Good news, you can do that and it's pretty drat easy. You just can't get all of them super fast because there are concerns at play other than yours. So I recommend figuring out which looks the coolest (hint: it's weaver)

Surely there's a better middle ground between "super fast" (whatever that means) and the current pace of... 60+ weeks to finish, though?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

seorin posted:

That's basically the complaint, though. There were already other classes that were more rewarding to master, the simple BLM rotation was one of the things that made it unique. Now BLM feels a lot more like the other classes and a lot less like the class I loved in 2.x. A similar shift happened to BRDs. The changes aren't completely awful since some people obviously like them, but others just don't enjoy their favorite class anymore and there aren't really any good replacements.

I wouldn't want to take away current BLM or BRD for people that like them, but it still sucks pretty hard for people who don't have a favorite class anymore. It feels like there's less class diversity in general with everybody having some kind of stance or buff to maintain, and unfortunately there aren't any easy ways to fix that.

Yeah. I levelled bard to 60 before I realized I just really don't care for the feel of it anymore-- it pretty much immediately sapped my will to play.

Then I switched to Astrologian and am having a great time again, but I still wish there was, you know, some way to play a class that felt like the one I spent more than a year playing before the expansion came out.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't craft to make money, so the health of the market is irrelevant to me. I craft to be self-sufficient (even at a loss) and to acquire cool-looking pieces of gear.

I don't mean to be a dick but this is the BiS gear for a class we're talking about. Making it take an improbably long time to gather all the sets introduces a choice on which to gear first, which introduces exclusivity into the market and is in fact super healthy for the game economy so that markets aren't flooded and less undercutting wars crash prices.

At least, that would be the case if there was actually a market or demand for 2* stuff which there isn't. Which is the actual problem.

If you want to play Pokemon with the gear sets, it's no different than DoW/M stuff. Wait for SE to uncap the currency, add echo, nerf mechanics, remove lockouts, and go wild!

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Crafting is pretty much my end game now. That being said, I mostly just want all the AF2 gear because it's kawaii as hell.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Magil Zeal posted:

Surely there's a better middle ground between "super fast" (whatever that means) and the current pace of... 60+ weeks to finish, though?

You'll be able to cap out left side for one class through scrips by the time 3.1 releases and the real 2 star crafting recipes are out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

You'll be able to cap out left side for one class through scrips by the time 3.1 releases and the real 2 star crafting recipes are out.

And they're never, ever going to relax or remove the cap like what they do with tomestones every other patch.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vahalla posted:

I don't mean to be a dick but this is the BiS gear for a class we're talking about. Making it take an improbably long time to gather all the sets introduces a choice on which to gear first, which introduces exclusivity into the market and is in fact super healthy for the game economy so that markets aren't flooded and less undercutting wars crash prices.

At least, that would be the case if there was actually a market or demand for 2* stuff which there isn't. Which is the actual problem.

If you want to play Pokemon with the gear sets, it's no different than DoW/M stuff. Wait for SE to uncap the currency, add echo, nerf mechanics, remove lockouts, and go wild!

I mostly put it that way because I was told the current pace "was in my best interest". I don't actually disagree with most of what you said, but I still think the current pace is unreasonable for the ilevel 180 gear (which is not actually BiS, that'd be the pentamelded 170 gear).

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
If all you really want is the glamor just buy the 170 NQ failures when they pop up.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

500K in potions on a pull sounds "fun".

It's because potions are stupid as gently caress expensive. All it is is double potting which is what most mythic Raiders do in wow.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Magil Zeal posted:

I mostly put it that way because I was told the current pace "was in my best interest". I don't actually disagree with most of what you said, but I still think the current pace is unreasonable for the ilevel 180 gear (which is not actually BiS, that'd be the pentamelded 170 gear).

That's a fair point, then. And yes, sorry. Not quite BiS.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
AST question: how exactly does the Spear work?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Chucat posted:

It's pretty much this, like the entire class just feels like it went in this really horrible direction playwise and no one went "No this is stupid and unfun please stop." Like getting forced to move on your second Fire 4 and having Astral fall off and then having to restart the rotation again feels as fun as starting your car after it stalls.

The play style is pretty fun. If you have to move on the second fire 4, just cast fire 1? At least the gameplay is reactive to how the fights go now.

You made a spreadsheet of retainers to the players who owned them and you cant handle "moving" in a fight. That says alot.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 28, 2015

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Chucat posted:

So have you never played monk, or...?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Phlogistic posted:

His point is he wasnt playing monk, he was playing BLM which got changed in a "mah stackssss" direction with HW. Obviously monks are a prime example of that sort of play. Congratulations on pointing out the obvious correlation that has nothing to do with his point!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

AST question: how exactly does the Spear work?

It reduces the recast time of abilities used WHILE THE CARD BUFF IS ON YOU by the listed percentage. So use on your dps before their openers and they'll have all those buffs off cooldowns sooner, etc.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Phlogistic posted:

If I wanted to play Monk I'd play Monk, what's the point you're trying to make here?

Tenzarin posted:

You made a spreadsheet of retainers to the players who owned them and you cant handle "moving" in a fight. That says alot.

I'm not going to respond to this but I am going to quote it for posterity.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Let F4/B4 give 1 second extension to astral/umbral or something. wouldnt be able to spam it and you would have more room to gently caress up. as it stands now playing BLM isnt really fun anymore.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Chucat posted:

I'm not going to respond to this but I am going to quote it for posterity.

Chucat posted:

I have a big spreadsheet of retainer names cross referenced with their SA accounts (I acquired this with my knowledge of the markets (plebs won't understand so I won't go into detail)) so I KNOW all these guys undercutting aren't on this forum.

loving pubbies am I right?

I guess we just wont understand then.

Kuai posted:

Let F4/B4 give 1 second extension to astral/umbral or something. wouldnt be able to spam it and you would have more room to gently caress up. as it stands now playing BLM isnt really fun anymore.

All of your blm gear works just fine with summoner.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 29, 2015

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

You're an idiot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This random guy on the internets likes a different thing I like. I should point it out as some sort of a sick burn.

:cripes:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

never before has :gitgud: been more appropriate

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tenzarin posted:

:whitewater:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vahalla posted:

It reduces the recast time of abilities used WHILE THE CARD BUFF IS ON YOU by the listed percentage. So use on your dps before their openers and they'll have all those buffs off cooldowns sooner, etc.

So continue Royal Roading/Shuffling it -- got it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah it's called making some of the pieces yourself. That shaves a lot of time off.

I mean, you said yourself your sole motivation is looking pretty right? So your specializations should be Leatherworker and Weaver by that logic.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 29, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So continue Royal Roading/Shuffling it -- got it.

It's really strong on bards/machinists especially if you put it up pre-pull. Otherwise it ranges from decent to pretty weak, depending on the job and the point in the fight.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

never before has :gitgud: been more appropriate

this thread is depressing

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

KaneTW posted:

this thread is depressing

No wonder Belzac left us

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Spear is also Really Good on summoners because it reduces fester and painflare recast timers on top of aetherflow :getin:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
More casual players have every right to be vaguely miffed at the changes to how BLM works, imo. It's a fairly significant departure in difficulty to do good to great dps from 2.x.

Statements like "it's a bad change" or whatever are just nonsense though. It might be a bad change for someone personally but for others, it's great. Personally I love being amongst the melee dps on parses. Feels good man.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

All of your blm gear works just fine with summoner.

until you start buying AF2

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. They'll have this long rear end insane list of abilities.

AFAIK with DRG, I mainly just do Heavy Thrust -> Chaos combo -> Phelbotomize -> Full Thrust Combo then do whatever.

When playing on pad, I did make a couple context sensitive macros to save space. I macroed Power Surge in front of Jump \ Spineshatter and put Flurry and Featherfoot on the same button. I might but Life Surge and Full Thrust on the same button.

Macros seem to be generally frowned upon in this game, but the way I have them set up is when the first ability can't be cast, it'll go to the 2nd on the list. Obviously this doesn't work for anything with a GCD so I still do all my actual attacks manually.

I just hit 54 and I got Blood of the Dragon. I guess that won't come into play much until I get Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw, no? I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to set that up. I guess you want to pop Blood of the Dragon right before Chaos Thrust or Full Thrust, no?

Also I'm guessing I can put Geirskogul and Doom Spike on the same button.

I don't ever use Piercing Talon and don't even have that on my hotbar. Maybe I'll throw it on a jump or something when the cooldown for that isn't up.

Thoughts?

Geirskogul should have its own button, its a core rotation ability. its "free" potency so long as you dont gently caress up your rotation, if you use it every other BOD refresh it is an off gcd attack that also happens to hit other enemies, dont confuse it with an AOE primary ability. your rotation will end up looking somewhat like: HT, Phb, 1, 2, BOD, 3, WT / F&C, Geirskogul, From this point you have about 10 seconds on BOD to push out 1,2,3, WT / F&C -> HT, Phb -> if you didnt gently caress up you have enough cooldown left on BOD to 1,2,3, finisher, Geirskogul again.

Basically your new rotation at 60 is all about fighting the cooldown of BOD to throw Geirskogul up as often as you can without losing it while keeping HT and PHB up. The DPS peaks when you can keep it up for an extended period of time are insane.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kuai posted:

until you start buying AF2

don't buy af2 for a class you don't like

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doublestep posted:

Don't tell me how to play the game!

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
If I resub and start a fresh character, how long would it take on average before I need to get Heavensward? I really want to play, but I can't afford both right now.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doublestep posted:

Except buy the Scholar hat because look at this thing

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So as a tank what ilvl should I shoot for before trying to get into savage Alex groups? Is full 190 a must?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

vanbags posted:

So as a tank what ilvl should I shoot for before trying to get into savage Alex groups? Is full 190 a must?

180 at the absolute minimum, as long as you have like full 190 right side and the rest 180 it should be good. and a 190 weapon.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mayostard posted:

If I resub and start a fresh character, how long would it take on average before I need to get Heavensward? I really want to play, but I can't afford both right now.

depends on how much you poopsock but getting to cap plus leveling a few jobs for additional abilities... a couple weeks? If you only play a few hours a night a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone know roughly how often people on Excalibur sell off their houses, and if so, how much small houses tend to go for? I've been thinking of trying to track down someone willing to sell, since waiting for new housing wards is getting boring, but i can't really find any info on how much people typically ask for when selling them.

• Locked thread