Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Would it be possible to get a camera mounted on the big screen for crowd reactions shots during some of the crazier events? It's a lot more exciting than the weird back of the empty room shot that goes on between runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dolphinbomb posted:

Did the commentator just drop the N-word? :stare:
No, but that would have been the second person to possibly have gotten kicked out of SGDQ this year.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how bad this would have to get for Doctors Without Borders to refuse the donation.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Corek posted:

I wonder how bad this would have to get for Doctors Without Borders to refuse the donation.

Invite Donald Trump?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Does MP2 100% have crazy out-of-bounds stuff like other categories?

e: Nevermind, stream just answered for me. "By the way, this run has out of bounds" yessss

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

John Quixote posted:

Does MP2 100% have crazy out-of-bounds stuff like other categories?

e: Nevermind, stream just answered for me. "By the way, this run has out of bounds" yessss

Oh my, this game has some crazy out of bounds tricks.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I WISH I HAD ENOUGH MONEY, IF I DID THEN I WOULD DONATE $2000 SAYING THAT I'D GIVE ANOTHER $3000 IF THE READER OR THE RUNNER DROPS AN N-BOMB. THAT'D BE RAD.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I decided to try TGM2 on an emulator just for fun, I got to about level 70 before dying, I'm not very good at Tetris .

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Demicol posted:

I decided to try TGM2 on an emulator just for fun, I got to about level 70 before dying, I'm not very good at Tetris .

That was basically my experience with TERROR INSTINCT. I got to level 100 on easy and then the jump in speed wrecked my poo poo.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

dolphinbomb posted:

Did the commentator just drop the N-word? :stare:

Glottal stops are a helluva drug.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Haha, a power bomb kills boost guardian in one hit, that fight was a struggle when I played it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's an extremely common phrase in mandarin that is basically 'that', but is often used conversationally as 'umm'. It sounds like 'ni guh'.

It's caused a few awkward situations over the years when out and about in the city with chinese friends.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm the stepladder on the right

i'm on the right offscreen, thank goodness, camping an outlet while writing.

sort of a chill day today, loved the classic NES block but mostly checking out the practice room.

victrix posted:

There's an extremely common phrase in mandarin that is basically 'that', but is often used conversationally as 'umm'. It sounds like 'ni guh'.

It's caused a few awkward situations over the years when out and about in the city with chinese friends.

have seen this many many times with in-laws, it's super tough because in a long string of Mandarin that's often the only thing for eavesdroppers to latch onto

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 28, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Yeah I just got done w work, so I'm hoping some good runs are coming up :)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Demicol posted:

Tried TGM3, got to 500 in master then got wrkd

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hmm, I like the Metroid blocks and the commentary is strong as usual but I think I'll get a lot more out of this run when I can pause it later—and the MMX runs will be much, much better when I can skip or mute certain parts. Time for a nap before the late-night Castlevania and early morning indie blocks.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm looking forward to the unleaded X2 race but I'll be really happy when trimmed vods come out, too, 'cause I'm not looking forward to what might come after. Never propose in public, everyone.

"Will you marry me? (SAY IT)"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like when runners do stuff for the sake of the audience even when it costs a small amount of time.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I like when runners do stuff for the sake of the audience even when it costs a small amount of time.

Yeah, GDQs seem less like actual WR attempts and more like a way to exhibit a speedrun/community by showing off the cool parts it has to offer.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Marathon strats <3

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know there are "marathon safe strats" that most runners keep too, but if it doesn't require restarting the run or losing like ten minutes of time, I like it when runners at least attempt the crazy WR stunts in these things.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Miles is always an entertaining runner to watch and it's so satisfying seeing him break MP2 over his knee, as it was the one of the Prime games I had most trouble with.

"Let's not talk about that." :v:

Edit:
I don't know about these things, but I do remember when they had one of the devs for MP1 over the phone while breaking the game (AGDQ2014, I think?), and that was pretty much hilarious.

It just isn't a proper Metroid game if there aren't weird and wondrous tricks to pull off to make it faster.
vvvv

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 28, 2015

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't they specifically make Prime 2 so speed runners couldn't break it as hard as they did with 1? It didn't work. It just took longer to find the little cracks they missed. Was really interesting seeing new Prime 2 runs pop up because it meant new poo poo had been discovered.

Did Prime 3 ever reach the point of being broken really hard?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ChibiSoma posted:

Didn't they specifically make Prime 2 so speed runners couldn't break it as hard as they did with 1? It didn't work. It just took longer to find the little cracks they missed. Was really interesting seeing new Prime 2 runs pop up because it meant new poo poo had been discovered.

Did Prime 3 ever reach the point of being broken really hard?

They tried, but it's kinda hard in a 3d game

3has more triggers, a lot harder to break

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
What is the significance of the quote that people keep donating with? Does it have to do with the Sanctuary Fortress level?

Great run, and finally Kirbymastah gets to speak!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

John Quixote posted:

I'm looking forward to the unleaded X2 race but I'll be really happy when trimmed vods come out, too, 'cause I'm not looking forward to what might come after. Never propose in public, everyone.

"Will you marry me? (SAY IT)"

If it's any consolation, Caleb will re-enact this if the answer is "no": https://vine.co/v/OxbEnU6PmvQ

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Any idea when the GamesDoneQuick YouTube page will start updating again? I'm dying to catch that Tetris block that I missed last night.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zorglorfian posted:

What is the significance of the quote that people keep donating with? Does it have to do with the Sanctuary Fortress level?

"Kill/save the animals?"

At the end of Super Metroid you can choose to save some critters that teach you techniques (wall jump and shinespark) if you stumble across them. It is faster to skip them, but it's just a choice you have to make escaping Zebes.

They're in the room where you first get the bombs, if you're curious.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"Kill/save the animals?"

At the end of Super Metroid you can choose to save some critters that teach you techniques (wall jump and shinespark) if you stumble across them. It is faster to skip them, but it's just a choice you have to make escaping Zebes.

And its CANON (see: Metroid Fusion)

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"Kill/save the animals?"

No, I already know that one and have donated for it (it's canon, dangit!).

The one I'm talking about is a literary quote about sanctuary and fortress, and it's from Lear? I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Zorglorfian posted:

If you are referring to the quote something along the lines of, 'listen to the last words of the Fortress keeper...', Miles explained that when he did his 255% run he had to watch that small cutscene containing that quote a tonne of times in full to dupe the translator you get during to get all that extra %, and it has become a community in joke.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Paused posted:

If you are referring to the quote something along the lines of, 'listen to the last words of the Fortress keeper...', Miles explained that when he did his 255% run he had to watch that small cutscene containing that quote a tonne of times in full to dupe the translator you get during to get all that extra %, and it has become a community in joke.

I actually forgot about it. That clears this up for me. Thanks. :)

Still a good run. These are better than watching a movie (and around the same length)!

EDIT: Great Emperor Ing kill

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 29, 2015

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Zorglorfian posted:

I actually forgot about it. That clears this up for me. Thanks. :)
No worries. Man I was way off with the correct wording of the quote though. At least I managed to get Fortress right!

Yeah, fun run. Kirbys informative 'casual' commentary paired with Miles occasional super specific data is an odd but cool informative combo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the guy who did the Vice City run at AGDQ doing anything this year?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Miles came soooooooo close to profanity

Welp, thats the run :\

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Crumps Brother posted:

Any idea when the GamesDoneQuick YouTube page will start updating again? I'm dying to catch that Tetris block that I missed last night.

I don't know that, but you can go to https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/3emv6z/sgdq_vod_thread_2015/ and it'll have all the completed runs linked in twitch vod form, so you can watch there.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
What glorious foot pedal action.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Time to take a break from watching for the beginning of the X8 race, gotta get back in time for the terrifying proposal though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

theultimo posted:

Miles came soooooooo close to profanity

Welp, thats the run :\

That made me jump in my chair haha. Just this loud yell out of nowhere after what was hours of mostly quiet and chill informative commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Mr E posted:

Time to take a break from watching for the beginning of the X8 race, gotta get back in time for the terrifying proposal though.

Is this in reference to the marriage proposal last time?

• Locked thread