Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont even know on HF any more. i have barely heard a thing in days and though slow cw is fun, i have no more interest in yelling into a mic over and over to "really light copy OM cant quite make you out"

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its because i cant get my antennas high enough. or in the case of the vert, lay down 900 radials. or both.

fewer things are sadder than a 40m dipole at 20 feet off the ground esp when peopel are all "lol we unrolled a g5rv on the lawn and worked a guy in europe"

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im hoping ill have better luck on digital than i did on ssb phone. if i can get this wiring figured out and get all the parts i need. babbys first schematic and all that.

plus rdp from the living room would mean way more airtime

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh to answer your earlier, if you dont have optocouplers in stock (i do lol), just use vox

note that the rear panel wont trigger vox gotta use the front panel mic in

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
agggggg i dont have a spare connector for the front, lol. i guess i should just follow that schematic and do it the right way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can skip the transformers and the opto, really. but you need to use a transistor instead of the optoisolator because you need to invert the signal (+5 on the left side needs to pull the right side to ground)

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Sup radio thread, I've been monitoring the local repeaters on my UV5R for about a year on and off, loving around receiving SSTV, doin thangs with an RTLSDR dongle, etc. I notice when I'm driving with a longer antenna on the UV5R in the cupholder I get what I guess is frequency wobble because the speaker keeps cutting on and off like someones tapping their transmit button. Is this because of the antenna wobblin'?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
sounds more like QRM to me. have you done this yet? made a big diff for me
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

loving with cw settings and txing awful morse code to see if anyone else is even on this band. The 718 has an option to use the channel up/down keys on the mic to run the internal keyer. :v:

Edit: my SWR on 12 meters is right around 2:1 so I can kinda tx on there too.

brand engager fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 28, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
add about a foot to the antenna and it'll probably resonate right on 12

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

i just need to figure out how to make these things quiet. i wonder if i coudl replace the fan w/ just a regular quiet pc case fan or if it would know.

these are the ones there's a detailed write up for a 12-14.2(ish) voltage adjustment pot. this is what im using w/ my 735 currently

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont even know on HF any more. i have barely heard a thing in days and though slow cw is fun, i have no more interest in yelling into a mic over and over to "really light copy OM cant quite make you out"

lol if you're not running 1500w AM through your beverage array for your nightly ragchew sessions on the top band

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 28, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

the issue with tuning coax fed antennas is that the loss in the coax gets multiplied due to the standing waves (or put another way, the signal travelling back and forth through the coax until it comes out at the antenna with the right phase/amplitude).

suddenly i understand impedance mismatches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

lol if you're not running 1500w AM through your beverage array for your nightly ragchew sessions on the top band

foursquares. beverages are for rx. top band assholes have foursquare arrays for TX, four 1/4 wave verticals (yes four 133 foot towers) spaced 1/4 wave apart, phase em up.

but yeah

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

foursquares. beverages are for rx. top band assholes have foursquare arrays for TX, four 1/4 wave verticals (yes four 133 foot towers) spaced 1/4 wave apart, phase em up.

but yeah

wikipedia says you can use a beverage array for transmitting and that it's a traveling wave antenna instead of a resonant antenna, so instead of being a long monopole the signal flies off the end of the wire and gives it good directionality?? weird

it's basically just a completely lossy transmission line

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PuTTY riot posted:

i just need to figure out how to make these things quiet. i wonder if i coudl replace the fan w/ just a regular quiet pc case fan or if it would know.

these are the ones there's a detailed write up for a 12-14.2(ish) voltage adjustment pot. this is what im using w/ my 735 currently

I need a pair of those hp ones for a charge station

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
right but people in practice use finite length beverages with terminating resistors at the far end and L M A O if you think the dudes that take up 70 acres just for 120 ground radials are gonna waste power in a /resistor/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why have 120 ground radials when u can have 120 beverages? *rotates deafening 120-position antenna switch rapidly*

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Welcome to rf where everything is loving magic

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221706973853

should i buy this thing so i can use acc1 instead of the front mic connector? ive got the el cheapo usb serial i can do ptt with.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's....actually a good deal yes do that

the transfomers are a couple bucks each and hard to find

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
done and done. just happened to pull up sat tracking website, iss overhead, ran out opened squelch up and heard their lil APRS guy. i dont have a digipeater or anything set up but its still cool to walk outside and pick a freq and sit there and wait and then hear it come out of nothingness just to disappear back into it a few minutes later. u got me thinking about sat stuff now.

coworker who is a ham but isn't really active said hes gonna bring me abuncha old 'coax and connectors'. idk. maybe there will be something i can use to make a 2m or dual band yagi out of.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've finally caught up with this thread. It's a great resource and it's given me a lot of ideas on projects and what not.

My current "equipment" is a hackrf and a god dang marine VHF antenna(not grounded, i dont have to, right?) bolted to the top of a basketball hoop. the tip of this antenna is maybe.... 16-18ft off the ground.

I would like to expand my listening capabilities beyond listening to emergency services and decoding pocsag. My setup cannot seem to receive ham stuff ~146 mhz nor the ~400's stuff either it's disappointing because thats what the drat antenna is made for. I presume my antennas just not high up enough in the air.

So, I want to buy this bad boy and put it on like 10-20ft of black steel pipe, with a flange or something to bolt it to where my current antenna is. Is this a hilariously terrible idea? Would I need to ground it?

I also am really interested in listening to the stuff around 120m to 49m like those huge high power shortwave stations. I'm able to pick up /some/ of them if i shove the center pin of my uhf connector into the ground of my houses electrical wiring (i know this is a terrible idea and I only did it long enough to see that it worked) These fall outside of the range of that discone and there doesn't seem to be an easy option for receiving these bands. Am I looking for something like this? one of these long wire dipoles however, that exact one doesn't go up high enough. Would I need multiple antennas for the shortwave stuff im interested in? (i have an up converter for my receiver, but by default it goes down to <1mhz anyway if you play w/ the firmware)

I did infact spend some time researching these questions, but it gets wordy and technical very quick and I'm really rather new to this stuff and don't want to make a bad purchase. Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you in the US? country helps with shopping suggestions.

The discone is a fine idea but to be honest Diamonds are...expensive. it's a good antenna but really, i would suggest just lookign at a dual band ham antenna. For RX they have fine coverage 144-174 and 420-500 or so, they'll cover the public service bands just fine. high SWR doesn't matter on receive really.

Long wires are good idea for HF, really it's a good start to just throw a literal long rear end single wire up and feed it through a window to the center pin. For more advanced listening you may want to put a little tuner or preselector in front of it, especially if you find AM broadcast trashing everything.

a wire with length somewhere in the 60-80 foot range would probably work well for what you're wanting to grab

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jonny 290 posted:

that's....actually a good deal yes do that

the transfomers are a couple bucks each and hard to find

those transformers are common as gently caress, but yeah, ~$6 each if you buy new. i've got a pile of them in my junk box, safely contained in their modem shaped packaging
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TTC-105/MT4134-ND/285701 , mouser has a better selection

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

are you in the US? country helps with shopping suggestions.

The discone is a fine idea but to be honest Diamonds are...expensive. it's a good antenna but really, i would suggest just lookign at a dual band ham antenna. For RX they have fine coverage 144-174 and 420-500 or so, they'll cover the public service bands just fine. high SWR doesn't matter on receive really.

Long wires are good idea for HF, really it's a good start to just throw a literal long rear end single wire up and feed it through a window to the center pin. For more advanced listening you may want to put a little tuner or preselector in front of it, especially if you find AM broadcast trashing everything.

a wire with length somewhere in the 60-80 foot range would probably work well for what you're wanting to grab

Yeah, I'm in the US. I figured that the diamond was a bit overkill because, about 60%+ of its resonant frequency(?) isn't particularly interesting to me. I figured it would be cool incase I decided I wanted to do something else, but after some reading it's apparently very inefficient effort/money wise to get "the perfect antenna for everything".

I actually have 50 ft of uhf cable that I bought by accident. I'll try throwing it up in a tree and see what i get. I figure if it's not enough I can rip it open and take out one of the conductors and combine them, then cut it down to size.

Could you possibly recommend a tuner/preselector/filter for the shortwave stuff? My sdr makes a lot of distortion on it's own and I have trouble enough dealing with it's gross oscillator noise(? aliasing? idk what this is. maybe i blew up the front end amplifier, which is frightingly common w/ this particular sdr) example of the noise/distortion i see a lot the peak of that thing in the center is like -45db i dont get it its not like im amplifying things up to -5db or something. Once again, thanks for all your help!

edit: to clarify, nothing in that picture is a real signal, that "shape" just shows up randomly throughout what im sampling. I'm not sure if i blew up the opamp or not because i still get lots of things like that when i turn it off, albeit noticeably less of them

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 28, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Incomplete Fish posted:

I actually have 50 ft of uhf cable that I bought by accident. I'll try throwing it up in a tree and see what i get. I figure if it's not enough I can rip it open and take out one of the conductors and combine them, then cut it down to size.

Rather than ruin your UHF cable, I'd recommend buying a 100ft spool of wire like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FG...qI4L&ref=plSrch

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

movers brought my poo poo today, time to see how lovely the 2m scene is and whether or not I can hang a dipole in my back yard without breaking my neck.

there's a couple big conifers back there with no branches for like 30' so that could work

as for insulators, is it ok to use the plastic electric fence insulators you'd get at a farm supply store?

like this

hell, i should just buy some of those and a bunch of fencing wire, make a "shepherd's dipole" and submit it to whatever the new zealand equivalent of the arrl is.

bought a bag of 10 of these for $7:

i'll probably try to hillbilly something up using these and paracord because I have paracord on hand.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only wires of mine that aren't hung with 550 are the ones that i threw up using scraps of clothesline cause i didnt care lol

it does tend to snag a bit on bark though

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i used the finest hexuple knitted 6mm polyester silk rope for my antenna

800 kg maximum load with 450 kg strength conductors, it's massively overkill so i kind of had to put in the spring to provide some relief

that thing's gonna stay there until i retire, mark my words

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
paracord from walmart is working alright so far for me. sometimes i wonder if we get a big windstorm what's gonna break first, the pvc cap, the eye bolt bolted into that, the 14 gauge thhn, pvc conduit insulators, or the paracord. or my eave mount/eave itself. lol. probably not the paracord...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i wonder if there's rope with a braided copper core you could use for antenna

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

i wonder if there's rope with a braided copper core you could use for antenna

copper is too soft for antenna wire it would stretch and paracord wouldnt help

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

agg ill never need 4 of these but if i do im gonna ragret not getting 4

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im really weird and hem and haw about $2

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
what happens if you say "breaker breaker one niner whats your 20, over"

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the FCC dfs u and then they hang you

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
from a crank up antenna mast

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

nothing if i'm on the CB

most likely you would get no response if you called that on a ham band

again, remember, ham radio is not the internet and trolling on it is exceeeeeeedingly stupid because a: nobody will bite and b: if they track you down it is a five digit fine and they pull your license if you have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

can i broadcast pics of my dick over sstv?

• Locked thread