Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

another twitter quarter, another game of "we lost money if you follow old world non-disruptive GAAP, but we made money for real, trust."

• Q2 GAAP net loss of $137 million and non-GAAP net income of $49 million

most of the difference, as per uje, is stock-based compensation. 175 million this quarter.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

El, oh, loving-el

quote:

non-GAAP net income of $49 million

for those not in the know GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles .

Basically its rules they have to follow so investors will know whether to invest or not.

What they're saying is the equivalent to:

quote:

I made $1.50 in profit last week. Using non-Regular-people-money I made 1.5 million in profit! gently caress YEAH!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

most of the difference, as per, is stock-based compensation. 175 million this quarter.

they have 3900 employees, this is insane

$44k per employee in one quarter, obviously not distributed equally

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

lool I was looking at the 10-Q itself, it's an unaudit 10-Q so basically, its about as accurate as their finance team and CFO want to be.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

another twitter quarter, another game of "we lost money if you follow old world non-disruptive GAAP, but we made money for real, trust."

most of the difference, as per uje, is stock-based compensation. 175 million this quarter.
twitter values #BrandEngagement at approximately 186 million dollars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

[sad trombone]

quote:

Shares of Yelp, the online business review site, dropped about 17 percent Tuesday after it reported a surprise second-quarter loss.

The company also said its chairman, Max Levchin, would step down from the board to pursue other interests. The shares extended losses after that announcement.
Levchin, co-founder of PayPal, provided seed funding for Yelp before it filed for an initial public offering in 2011, according The Wall Street Journal.
Yelp reported a net loss attributable to common stockholders of 2 cents a share, compared with expectations for profit of a penny a share.

The company posted revenue of $134 million, slightly above projections for $133 million and up 50.8 percent from a year earlier as more businesses advertised on its platform.

However, third-quarter sales guidance came in light of Wall Street's expectations. Yelp sees net revenue for the period of between $139 million and $142 million, well below current projections of $153 million in sales. The company's full-year revenue guidance was also below estimates.

"Consumers are increasingly turning to apps when using their mobile phones, and we are excited about the growth we've seen in app usage, which accelerated to 51 percent year over year," Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman said in a statement.
"We believe our rich content married with our highly differentiated local advertising product will position us well to capture a meaningful share of the large local market."

Yelp said local advertising revenue rose 43 percent, year over year, to $107.9 million.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
imo apps like yelp and maps are a public good and should be funded/maintained by the government rather than advertiser-owned hellholes. dunno if thats controversial or not. it would be cool though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
internet as a public utility would be rad

then again we can't even get that right in amerikka for things like water and power

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
USGS and NOAA should provide weather and maps APIs (plus raw datasets for maps) for everyone to use up to some gigantic usage cap idk why they don't do this already

OSM kinda provides tiles and geo information but apparently a simple place names search is a back breaking amount of server load that nobody can afford to finance for the good of the public so your explicitly forbidden to use the free OSM search API for autocompletion (like that's a bolded and underlined clause in there TOS)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

imo apps like yelp and maps are a public good and should be funded/maintained by the government rather than advertiser-owned hellholes. dunno if thats controversial or not. it would be cool though

yelp is a protection racket

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
uber hasn't been adding the required sales tax to rides in canada

when called on it, they said it was drivers' responsibility to collect and pay the sales taxes on rides

the canadian taxman is likely to investigate uber in the near future, eh

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i guess the government app would be less like yelp and more like a phone book. i dont care about reviews i just want to know where the nearest pizza place is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DolphinCop posted:

i guess the government app would be less like yelp and more like a phone book. i dont care about reviews i just want to know where the nearest pizza place is

the most useful info yelp has is the hours a place is open

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

this is also the best part of google maps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

in the grimdark future there are only brands, ravenous brands roaming the countryside hungering for engagement while what little remains of humanity shivers in the dark, sending out sacrifices from their subterranean hovels to appease the brands boundless hunger, if only for another fiscal year

http://escapepod.org/2010/12/09/ep270-advertising-at-the-end-of-the-world/

here's the actual short story about that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

FMguru posted:

this is also the best part of google maps

agreed but feature request: kitchen hours also listed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
to get kitchen hours u must hope they have upload menu. then u open menu pdf on your cell phone and crawl around to see if they have kitcen hours. open till 2? hmm.. likely just the bar. if no kitchen hours listed? better call, bitch. scream into the phone as the hostess cant hear poo poo. WHATR UR KITCEHN HOURS?? WHAT?? FOOD TIMEE? WHAT? fml.. just fml

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm going to move to a shack in the woods with no running water

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

qirex posted:

in the grimdark future there are only brands, ravenous brands roaming the countryside hungering for engagement while what little remains of humanity shivers in the dark, sending out sacrifices from their subterranean hovels to appease the brands boundless hunger, if only for another fiscal year
i look forward to seeing an officepunk re-imagining of the night land

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pinterest Mom posted:

look, we're not paying employees with stock, that would be ridiculous

these are one time costs that happen to occur annually

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

they have 3900 employees, this is insane

$44k per employee in one quarter, obviously not distributed equally

because the stock grants are RSUs, i am pretty sure they have to account for them up front, despite the vesting schedule. so if you get $11k a year for 4 years, they have to indicate $44k in costs the quarter you started

(i believe this is also why they get to pretend these are one time costs: it ostensibly happens once per employee rather than being re-calculated per employee every year)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Main Paineframe posted:

when called on it, they said it was drivers' responsibility to collect and pay the sales taxes on rides

wait i thought uber drivers were prohibited to taking money outside of the app

or are they saying that drivers should shave off even more of their poo poo income to pay taxes that uber doesn't feel like collecting?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i always tip the uber driver a few bucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

or are they saying that drivers should shave off even more of their poo poo income to pay taxes that uber doesn't feel like collecting?

what does your heart tell you?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Smythe posted:

i always tip the uber driver a few bucks

Uh, that's not how it works, the app doesn't let you tip, you don't tip the driver. They make a living wage from uber anyway.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Uh, that's not how it works, the app doesn't let you tip, you don't tip the driver. They make a living wage from uber anyway.

doesn't it explicitly tell you no need to tip someplace

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tfw when u summon an uber after collecting your crime paycheck and its only 100s. sorry m8.. no cash,,,, fml. :fail:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't it explicitly tell you no need to tip someplace

CASHLESS & CONVENIENT

You don't need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file — no need to tip. We'll also e-mail you a receipt.

Shifty Pony posted:

that sounds suspiciously like a work rule, comrade fellow citizen

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my friend got banned from uber for farting in the guys car. the driver wouldnt let him roll the windows down so he let one rip and the dude flipped out saying 'i am not a cab driver this is not a cab' and got him blacklisted on the app. lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lomarf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

look, we're not paying employees with stock, that would be ridiculous

these are one time costs that happen to occur annually

i was at cisco when the law to count stock as compensation was happening; they wanted us all to lobby our congressmen to vote no

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

my friend got banned from uber for farting in the guys car. the driver wouldnt let him roll the windows down so he let one rip and the dude flipped out saying 'i am not a cab driver this is not a cab' and got him blacklisted on the app. lol

lol this is gonna be me one day. big night out on the Mexican then a surly uber driver bans me forever.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Dislike button posted:

what the gently caress what's the point of getting an uber if you can't let it rip in the peasant's car

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

ayyy lmao

cra would investigate but Harper cut staff so much over the last decade they can only seem time to audit non-profits

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

tbh, they don't do it on american rides either, but here they're (supposedly technically) not required to do it, the drivers are required to pay out the appropriate sales taxes themselves. and no, drivers aren't allowed to charge a surcharge, it has to come out of what uber gives them

of course, uber doesn't bother to train or make any of its 'independent contractors' aware of this poo poo so almost assuredly 95% of uber drivers are violating tax code in the US

that doesn't matter though because uber is disrupting crufty old industries, regulations, and taxes!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

there's someone shitposting from the bar at black jack in DC

from a while back, but this was me. enjoying the move from Florida and funy computer job w tinderella

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695000&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post442762981

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Main Paineframe posted:

i thought the canadian irs was already onto their bullshit, wasnt that where the "uber remotely wipes devices with financials on them after they were seized" thing came from?

Dislike button posted:

lmao this loving owns

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ANAmal.net posted:

i thought the canadian irs was already onto their bullshit, wasnt that where the "uber remotely wipes devices with financials on them after they were seized" thing came from?

lmao this loving owns

lmao they did try

quote:

Uber Engineers in San Francisco would have tried to remotely encrypt the data in the Uber Canada computers during the search conducted by Revenu Québec in Montreal last week.
This is what is alleged by Revenu Québec in the information that was filed before Judge Jean-Pierre Braun last week, and that La Presse has obtained. Uber sought to challenge this statement before the judge, but has not had the opportunity, we learn in the injunction Uber also presented in court last week.

Search for Uber Canada offices

On May 14, fifteen Revenu Québec investigators conducted searches of computer data to administrative offices Uber Canada Notre Dame. Investigators are looking for evidence to demonstrate qu'Uber Canada is violating the tax law by not collecting GST and QST on behalf of its drivers to UberX.

Around 10:40, one of the investigators found that "mobile devices such as laptops, smart phones and tablets have been restarted remotely" during the seizure. Another investigator, who performed a second term in another office, found exactly the same phenomenon, also at 10:40. "IT systems were handled remotely, we performed an IT asset takeover by putting off considering the urgency and high risk remote data change," reads the information presented to Judge Jean-Pierre Braun.

Also according to the denunciation, the CEO of Uber Montreal, Jean-Nicolas Guillemette said later at one of the investigators "that he discussed with the engineers Technology Uber San Francisco and that they had encrypted the Remote data ".

source:http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...-a-distance.php

apparently this translation sucks and 'would have' should be 'tried to' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hope they get charged with obstruction of justice and also contempt of court

• Locked thread