Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

Ted Rall was just fired by the LA Times.

It sounds he wrote a shitthatneverhappened.txt blog post that didn't hold up against any sort of record except his own.

I can't describe the schadenfreude I'm feeling right now

The end of that audiotape features Rall asking the cop, who allegedly threw his wallet in the sewer and roughed him up, where the best places to eat in the area are.

Ted Rall posted:

That’s what my editors asked me. Even if the cop hadn’t been mean, why would I have asked him to recommend a good restaurant?

Listening to the tape now, I can’t imagine what I was thinking. The only explanation I can fathom is that I had classic Stockholm Syndrome.

I was stunned. Not that I’m comparing myself with a rape victim — far from it — but now I understand why sometimes a raped woman will question pressing charges. I was blathering nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I lay claim to this.

... once I get paid and can buy it.

I'll need a caption though.

Secret SA Pie War
Drone Warlord

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

VigilantePrime posted:

The end of that audiotape features Rall asking the cop, who allegedly threw his wallet in the sewer and roughed him up, where the best places to eat in the area are.

Well might as well burn ALL the bridges.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ted Rall posted:

I was blathering nonsense.

This is the only thing Ted Rall was not lying about.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

VigilantePrime posted:

Now we now why the sad bj cries.

Seriously, Rall can gently caress right off. Wonder if Bors will let him crash on the couch.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

AtomikKrab posted:

I lay claim to this.

... once I get paid and can buy it.

I'll need a caption though.

No one can say "bye bye"
to my American Pies

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Note that Rall was freelancing for LA Times, and he was never actually on staff (David Horsey also draws for the LA Times as well).

Rall doesn't even live in LA; he's based in New York.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

These Day By Penis edits are getting lazier.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
So Zedd is checking another man out in the shower now? That goon's explicit Day by Day fanart may become cannon after all...

loquacius posted:

General question, is the "Planned Parenthood wants to bring about BLACK GENOCIDE by aborting every black baby in America" meme something that anyone actually earnestly believes or are they just attempting to Troll The Left by calling them The Real Racists?

Do teenagers attending religious schools count as anyone? I think a lot of people believe it, they just don't care about it beyond using it for leverage against abortion access.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Ted Rall may be a poo poo, but since when are police not allowed to also embellish their accounts of an event and when is a cartoonist going to be fired for publishing what is, blatantly, an act of libel about Planned Parenthood?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is DBD still in the fuckbarn? Weren't they just introducing all the fuckbarn guests? What's going on??? Why is everyone leaning on fences or crouching in fields??

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Post 9-11 User posted:

Ted Rall may be a poo poo, but since when are police not allowed to also embellish their accounts of an event and when is a cartoonist going to be fired for publishing what is, blatantly, an act of libel about Planned Parenthood?

Maybe it's late in the day, but I can't parse that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

loquacius posted:

General question, is the "Planned Parenthood wants to bring about BLACK GENOCIDE by aborting every black baby in America" meme something that anyone actually earnestly believes or are they just attempting to Troll The Left by calling them The Real Racists?

I have a friend who believes that the attack on Planned Parenthood is complete bullshit but also that the government is indeed trying to sterilize blacks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

It's not that Rall doesn't have a point, but it's loving obnoxious as hell when the police are killing PoC and Rall's response is to cry about his own relatively minor issue and have the audacity to make a loving cartoon that says "They kill whites too." which I guess is the liberal "All Lives Matter."

Coupled with his lazy accelerationist slant and ego in general, and I just wish this rear end in a top hat would go away. He's the kind of liberal that he regularly mocks, and without a shred of self-awareness.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Post 9-11 User posted:

The police had an audiotape which supports them and refutes Todd Role.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I think what they're saying is "why shouldn't Ted Rall be able to lie about the police and not get fired when there's all these other idiots making poo poo up about Planned Parenthood?"

which... yes, if you want to make it a race to the bottom why not allow all that

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The thing that kills me is that Rall made up a whole bit about a crowd of common people railing against the horrible injustices of a police office talking to him (and then recommending a nice restaurant in the area).

It's the same kind of audacity that Rall used to write Ted Rall: An Erotic Life.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if Kirschen will try to take credit for Pollard being released, or if there will be any comics about how Obama only did it as a result of political pressure, too little too late, what a weak and dickless leader, etc etc etc

Who am I kidding of course both of those things will happen.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

beepsandboops posted:

The thing that kills me is that Rall made up a whole bit about a crowd of common people railing against the horrible injustices of a police office talking to him (and then recommending a nice restaurant in the area).

It's the same kind of audacity that Rall used to write Ted Rall: An Erotic Life.

This happened fourteen loving years ago, and Rall expects us to believe his memory of events over a tape recording.

A smirking cop flippantly tossing his driver's licence into a sewer is exactly how Rall would remember himself dropping the loving thing.

Remember- he wrote a story about being called a fag in high school and spending the entire year putting together or fantasizing about potentially-lethal pranks to get back at the "bully" in question. Including sabotaging metalworking equipment and dropping bricks from the roof. And he expected to be seen as the good guy.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Quoting out of sheer amazement that a syndicated cartoonist made a motherfucking it follows politoon

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

I have a friend who believes that the attack on Planned Parenthood is complete bullshit but also that the government is indeed trying to sterilize blacks.

I mean there's a solid chance they've tried it before

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

majormonotone posted:

I mean there's a solid chance they've tried it before
Didn't the Tuskegee experiments leave the men sterile?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

snakeandbake posted:

I wonder if Kirschen will try to take credit for Pollard being released, or if there will be any comics about how Obama only did it as a result of political pressure, too little too late, what a weak and dickless leader, etc etc etc

Who am I kidding of course both of those things will happen.

We don't even need to guess what he'll harp on next:

quote:

Even though Pollard will be barred from leaving the United States for five years, his lawyers said Obama could waive that parole requirement and allow him to go to Israel immediately after his release.

They freed Pollard from prison

but keep him in the United States.

Isn't that just moving him

to a bigger cell?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Just spotted an Enos in the wild!

I was perusing old National Lampoons when I spotted this. I thought it looked familiar, and then saw the sig!

Here, Jan., '79 issue.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So why does the Dry Bones guy think it's okay for Israel to spy on its "ally" the United States without repercussions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So why does the Dry Bones guy think it's okay for Israel to spy on its "ally" the United States without repercussions?

Because he's a crazy Zionist.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

You are very good at this.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

He is a rightwing ultra-nationalist who genuinely believes that Israel is a bastion of all that is good and the moral compass of the world. Thus any action that could possibly aid Israel, is a just, selfless, and divinely inspired act.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Took me a moment. Bravo!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kerning Chameleon posted:

We don't even need to guess what he'll harp on next:

They freed Pollard from prison

but keep him in the United States.

Isn't that just moving him

to a bigger cell?

Burma Shave

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

He is a rightwing ultra-nationalist who genuinely believes that Israel is a bastion of all that is good and the moral compass of the world. Thus any action that could possibly aid Israel, is a just, selfless, and divinely inspired act.

Could kindness and justice exist in a world in which Israel did not exist? I think not.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Muir can't get enough Wiener. I don't even think the old Nickelodeon show Wienerville had as many wiener jokes as Muir has been making recently.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Spun Dog posted:

Maybe it's late in the day, but I can't parse that.

Audio tape or not, what Rall described is plausible and he didn't make claims that can be certified as libel or grounds for firing him (why not fire him for his dozens and dozens of lovely cartoons?). Saying that Planned Parenthood is slaughtering babies to sell their organs for profit is libel until some information comes out to support that claim. The only bulletproof defense against libel is facts and, at this point, there is not a single shred of evidence to substantiate the claims. Numerous cartoonists have published cartoons that may cross over from parody/satire into libel.

The People Vs Jerry Flint established a very broad definition of parody but that was a case involving a cartoon about a person. Planned Parenthood- charitable or not- is a business in a sense and printing absolute lies about it is damaging and, in theory, against the law.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I seriously don't get the dialogue in DbD. It seems like three separate sentences of random poo poo that have nothing to do with each other and some kind of punchline, I think?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

No, you got it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Post 9-11 User posted:

Audio tape or not, what Rall described is plausible and he didn't make claims that can be certified as libel or grounds for firing him (why not fire him for his dozens and dozens of lovely cartoons?). Saying that Planned Parenthood is slaughtering babies to sell their organs for profit is libel until some information comes out to support that claim. The only bulletproof defense against libel is facts and, at this point, there is not a single shred of evidence to substantiate the claims. Numerous cartoonists have published cartoons that may cross over from parody/satire into libel.

The People Vs Jerry Flint established a very broad definition of parody but that was a case involving a cartoon about a person. Planned Parenthood- charitable or not- is a business in a sense and printing absolute lies about it is damaging and, in theory, against the law.

Every single person who thinks Rall is lying has gone to the trouble of saying they aren't exactly cheerleaders for the LAPD either. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say most of these same people also think the Planned Parenthood bullshit is a travesty, and might even be illegal.

:getout:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FicusArt posted:

No one can say "bye bye"
to my American Pies

This is the best one.

Shadeoses posted:

Is DBD still in the fuckbarn? Weren't they just introducing all the fuckbarn guests? What's going on??? Why is everyone leaning on fences or crouching in fields??

My question is how long are they going to STAY at the fuckbarn? Does Sam Eliot live there now along with Weiner and....the other guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

New Political PBF cartoons? It's so magical, I hope they never stop :allears:

Some of my favorite from 2012.

• Locked thread