Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm at 41 right now and pretty quickly making my way up to 50. Is there a level lock between the end of the 2.0 MSQ and the beginning of Heavensward? I'd hate to be starting Heavensward at level 53 or something like that because of the pre-Heavensward 50 MSQs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Vahalla posted:

Statements like "it's a bad change" or whatever are just nonsense though. It might be a bad change for someone personally but for others, it's great. Personally I love being amongst the melee dps on parses. Feels good man.

I just assume at this point the entire train of thought that is "They nerfed Manawall (a spell which allows you to not move if you know what you're doing), while making it so you want to avoid movement even more than before, while also putting in another set of cooldowns you have to manage while also seeming to put in a bunch of bosses with forced movement, painfully long phase transitions and other things to run down the clock." is just a given.

Like all of my irritation just stems from the Manawall nerf, they removed something fun (getting to use your tools to clown on encounters) and their justification is so pathetic that it just leads me to believe all of the other changes are equally flawed.

I want to live in the alternate world where they buffed Manaward to be the same as Manawall so I could enjoy my utterly broken class.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I'm at 41 right now and pretty quickly making my way up to 50. Is there a level lock between the end of the 2.0 MSQ and the beginning of Heavensward? I'd hate to be starting Heavensward at level 53 or something like that because of the pre-Heavensward 50 MSQs.

Trust me when I say you'll be happy to enter Ishgard slightly overleveled.

Chucat posted:

Like all of my irritation just stems from the Manawall nerf, they removed something fun (getting to use your tools to clown on encounters) and their justification is so pathetic that it just leads me to believe all of the other changes are equally flawed.

Removing an ability that let you trivially negate major mechanics is fine. See also: Ninja, Scholar.

nuru fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 29, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe I just have the wrong opinion when it comes to specializations, but they just leave a bad taste in my mouth. One of the things that I always found exciting about the game was the idea that you could pursue each class equally and yes, you could do everything. Specializations seem like a step back and I don't like it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Poultron posted:

Well this helps with the gear but what about rotations/etc?

I knew FFXIV Crafting had gotten updated but didn't know he finished the Gear too. Nice!

These are a few for really high end stuff:

http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-end-game-crafting-rotations-master-star/

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I just have the wrong opinion when it comes to specializations, but they just leave a bad taste in my mouth. One of the things that I always found exciting about the game was the idea that you could pursue each class equally and yes, you could do everything. Specializations seem like a step back and I don't like it.

I thought the point of specializations was to get rid of having to level up everything, and really it doesn't seem to help that. It just makes it so that you only can HQ high level stuff with a specialization while the rest of your classes were screwed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

On playing blm post thundercloud, it doesn't really feel better, just more of a sideways change? At least my understanding of the math is TC was only good when the dot was close to expiring, any other time it was less than F4. And it still runs into AF juggling. It was nice to have a sometimes up ability for movement. But from when I tested it out, its the type of thing where you want the proc to happen at a specific point in rotation so it doesn't mess everything up and if it does its a good thing.

As for what I'd have preferred, either Enochian is more of an actual cooldown, like Enkindle thematically. You go super mage form for 30 seconds and then just pray for it to be back up. Or if it's staying as, I dunno, at least like F4 proc Firestarter? I mean I'd prefer for F4/B4 to just add one stack of their buffs, but at least if F4 procced Firestarter it'd do some more to bring the fun little proc game blm had at 50 back to 60.

Also ironically, I've been playing monk now, and in the fights I've done (nothing savage I'm bad), monk has been way, way easier to play. :shrug:

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I thought the point of specializations was to get rid of having to level up everything, and really it doesn't seem to help that. It just makes it so that you only can HQ high level stuff with a specialization while the rest of your classes were screwed.

Actually the specialization skills aren't very good at all so it just hasn't really had much effect. We might see some use for them on the 2stars (popping Heart couldn't hurt) but after I picked my first to see what it gave me I haven't even bothered to pick the other two and I have them all at 60.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

You're looking at it the wrong way. You can still do everything, but you get to choose three classes to be easier at it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Megaflare posted:

Actually the specialization skills aren't very good at all so it just hasn't really had much effect. We might see some use for them on the 2stars (popping Heart couldn't hurt) but after I picked my first to see what it gave me I haven't even bothered to pick the other two and I have them all at 60.

Look at this guy who has never used Nymeia's Wheel or Heart of the Crafter.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Eej posted:

Look at this guy who has never used Nymeia's Wheel or Heart of the Crafter.

Why would I use the CP? Everything is completely trivial. I made my entire set of gear too, none of it was difficult. Like I said, they might find use on 2stars but what he's saying is completely false. The best additions are things that aren't specialization dependent.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 29, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a known formula to spit out progress or quality gain based on craft level and crafting stats?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

Does anyone know roughly how often people on Excalibur sell off their houses, and if so, how much small houses tend to go for? I've been thinking of trying to track down someone willing to sell, since waiting for new housing wards is getting boring, but i can't really find any info on how much people typically ask for when selling them.

This might be different since I am on Gilgamesh and not Excalibur but the two FCs I've been in we had to wait about a month to a month and a half before we found a seller. Both times the cost was about 15-20 mil and that was just for them to relinquish their plot. I don't even want to think about how expensive medium or large houses would be. I'm just happy I found an empty medium plot and jumped on it as fast as I could.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

Is there a known formula to spit out progress or quality gain based on craft level and crafting stats?

Yes.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cainer posted:

This might be different since I am on Gilgamesh and not Excalibur but the two FCs I've been in we had to wait about a month to a month and a half before we found a seller. Both times the cost was about 15-20 mil and that was just for them to relinquish their plot. I don't even want to think about how expensive medium or large houses would be. I'm just happy I found an empty medium plot and jumped on it as fast as I could.

pricing on excal has been signifigantly higher as a casual observer, the population crush inflates the pricing a lot. Twice this easy for excal, maybe more depending on the district.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Niton posted:

Please don't do this. If you like PvP, or want to try, PvP's a great source of tomes, but it's a pretty awful feeling to get stuck with a bunch of people who would rather lose fast than win at all.

Nah, people sperging about how you're "feeding the Maelstrom!" or whatever and losing their poo poo is much more fun than actually trying to PVP.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Eimi posted:

On playing blm post thundercloud, it doesn't really feel better, just more of a sideways change? At least my understanding of the math is TC was only good when the dot was close to expiring, any other time it was less than F4. And it still runs into AF juggling. It was nice to have a sometimes up ability for movement. But from when I tested it out, its the type of thing where you want the proc to happen at a specific point in rotation so it doesn't mess everything up and if it does its a good thing.

As for what I'd have preferred, either Enochian is more of an actual cooldown, like Enkindle thematically. You go super mage form for 30 seconds and then just pray for it to be back up. Or if it's staying as, I dunno, at least like F4 proc Firestarter? I mean I'd prefer for F4/B4 to just add one stack of their buffs, but at least if F4 procced Firestarter it'd do some more to bring the fun little proc game blm had at 50 back to 60.

Also ironically, I've been playing monk now, and in the fights I've done (nothing savage I'm bad), monk has been way, way easier to play. :shrug:

Sidegrade? What. It's a straight up buff to an ability that was only useful at very specific points in our new rotation (if you had spare time in Umbral Ice, or if you were forced to cancel a cast to move), and the major component of that buff was that it was changed to procc more frequently.

You don't want to be using thundercloud procs just because you have them. You use them in the above mentioned situations. Throwing out a TC Thunder 3 after canceling a Fire 4 to gtfo of an aoe makes that dps loss sting a lot less, and improves the mobility of the class.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So cat fishing roulette groups is fun.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Whizbang posted:

Nah, people sperging about how you're "feeding the Maelstrom!" or whatever and losing their poo poo is much more fun than actually trying to PVP.
Now if you intentionally trolled a DF raid wouldn't that person be an rear end in a top hat?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megaflare posted:

I mean except for the part where Specialization skills completely trivialize 2* crafts with minimum stats yeah.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Megaflare posted:

Why would I use the CP? Everything is completely trivial. I made my entire set of gear too, none of it was difficult. Like I said, they might find use on 2stars but what he's saying is completely false. The best additions are things that aren't specialization dependent.

How much gil do you have that you made your entire set of 170 trivially without specialization? Basically everyone I know who has crafted 170 pieces has liberally used Heart of the Crafter.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean except for the part where Specialization skills completely trivialize 2* crafts with minimum stats yeah.

My post specifically excluded how they perform on 2stars. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp. The original post I quoted didn't seem to be talking about just 2stars. So basically you're saying we agree.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

vanbags posted:

Now if you intentionally trolled a DF raid wouldn't that person be an rear end in a top hat?

Everyone gets their tomes from PVP no matter what you do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eej posted:

How much gil do you have that you made your entire set of 170 trivially without specialization? Basically everyone I know who has crafted 170 pieces has liberally used Heart of the Crafter.

Pretty sure he's talking about making the Chimerical/Serpentskin stuff

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about making the Chimerical/Serpentskin stuff

Correct. I mean, if the original guy I was talking to comes back and says he meant 2 stars then what I said was wrong. But otherwise specialization skills just complicate a rotation that is already very easy and you definitely aren't "screwed" by not having them.

Ed: I'm still experimenting otherwise. But I don't think you'd be screwed even if they are very powerful for 2s. Stick your specs on BSM, WVR and LTW or CRP to make most of the other gear. Then do the rest without spec/with the vastly better gear you just got.

And Eej, I specifically stated using Heart.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Whizbang posted:

Too bad winning's twice the EXP and marks, which is the stuff that a lot of people are queueing for, huh? Esoterics being guaranteed doesn't give you carte blanche on being an rear end in a top hat. You can clear most content with a body on the ground in PvE, too, but that's hardly what I want to spend my time doing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Whizbang posted:

Wolf marks per hour

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Whizbang posted:

But I'm pretty sure you get more wolf marks and pvp exp for winning, which some people actually care about.

I'm just saying afking on a node that your team occupies can actually benefit your team by providing the illusion of defense vs just being an rear end in a top hat and feeding kills to the opposing companies to hear your teammates get mad. It's no less dickish than someone intentionally killing adds away from lasers or dragging tethers on top of the party.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Niton posted:

Too bad winning's twice the EXP and marks, which is the stuff that a lot of people are queueing for, huh? Esoterics being guaranteed doesn't give you carte blanche on being an rear end in a top hat.

This is the fun part I was talking about. :allears:

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Whizbang posted:

I guess that's the drawback of adding esoterics as a pvp reward, but then again it's one of the huge incentives to get people to playing. A double edged sword we have to live with.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Whizbang posted:

It's possible to troll in funny ways, but it sounds like you're just being kind of a dick to people.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Whizbang posted:

Curses, we've fallen right into the puppetmaster's trap!

I think I'm going to level up SMN for a while; I have it at 50 because I levelled up SCH, and once I take it to 60 I'll both be able to dragonlaser dudes and have a healer at 60.

... you know, in retrospect, the fact that Summoners get abilities from Bahamut kind of spoils the plot twist that Bahamut is actually a primal in the image of a long-dead dragon, doesn't it.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 29, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

vanbags posted:

I guess that's the drawback of adding esoterics as a pvp reward, but then again it's one of the huge incentives to get people to playing. A double edged sword we have to live with.

ilvl 100 and 110 gear has no requirement to wear/glamour now so Wolf Marks actually have an incentive to farm for a lot of people.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

I think I'm going to level up SMN for a while; I have it at 50 because I levelled up SCH, and once I take it to 60 I'll both be able to dragonlaser dudes and have a healer at 60.

... you know, in retrospect, the fact that Summoners get abilities from Bahamut kind of spoils the plot twist that Bahamut is actually a primal in the image of a long-dead dragon, doesn't it.

If you read words during 2.0 it's not really a twist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bahamut being a primal isn't even remotely a spoiler, it's the entire premise of ARR.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

vOv posted:

Bahamut being a primal is in no way a twist. The stuff you find out from Tiamat (and the brief mention by Hraesvelgr) about him originally being a real dragon and the primal being just a false copy is a twist but the SMN storyline in no way hints at that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, I got Bahamut being a primal and him being a copy of an original like Shiva and Thordan mixed up in my head. Dunno what I was thinking.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 29, 2015

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

vanbags posted:

I dunno, I think trolling in crystal tower is kinda fun sometimes, but it literally doesn't matter there because everything is stupidly easy and everyone else is a moron too.

In PVP I try my best but I'm really bad so I still end up as one of the least valuable players in the end...

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
That's the problem with these trolls today, no artistry, no panache.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I dunno, I think trolling in crystal tower is kinda fun sometimes, but it literally doesn't matter there because everything is stupidly easy and everyone else is a moron too.

In PVP I try my best but I'm really bad so I still end up as one of the least valuable players in the end...
I doubt that. As long as you're following the group and sticking to objectives it's really hard to be the weak link in a 24 person team.

At least in large scale PvP like Seal Rock it's less about outplaying people on an individual level and more about not doing dumb things to hurt your team like being the lone Rambo who feeds the other team kills. Staying alive and knowing when to push or when to pull back is a way bigger contribution than how much damage you're putting up on the scoreboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Adept Nightingale posted:

Yeah. I levelled bard to 60 before I realized I just really don't care for the feel of it anymore-- it pretty much immediately sapped my will to play.

Then I switched to Astrologian and am having a great time again, but I still wish there was, you know, some way to play a class that felt like the one I spent more than a year playing before the expansion came out.

This is me as well, except I switched to SMN. It's weird how much this is getting me down too. I like most of HW but everything feels kind of tainted by Bard just not being fun anymore.

And I don't really get the thought process behind the change either. I haven't played them all but most jobs in HW seem to be a natural extension of what they already were, whereas as Bard is almost the exact opposite playstyle of what it was before.

• Locked thread