Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Why do I always forget to recommend this?! Probably because I have it digitally, so I don't see it on my shelves when I look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys. Put them in my queue. I decided to read Agents of Atlas first and that is a couple of good series. The Thing and X-Static will be next. I see they have almost all of Daredevil at this point, so screw it will read it all after X-Static.

I am said that they do not have all of the old Thunderbolts or some golden age stuff. The Golden Age is my jam. Stuff is bananas.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got caught up on Grant Morrison's Nameless. It is Morrison as gently caress and I love it, can't wait for more. It's a mashup of Armageddon and Event Horizon mixed in with occult and reality warping that only he really understands. It might seem dense and :psyduck: as hell but honestly if you have EVER read any of Morrison's other stuff, Superhero or no, this isn't that hard to follow. A lot of the same ideas he plays with in other places are here.

This reminds me that I never got that far into The Invisibles. I gotta fix that.

Also, heres something I was thinking about. If you wanted to introduce someone to Grant Morrison's stuff, what would you recommend?

Also, I wanna give a recommend to Southern Cross. Another horror in space book. More of a mystery and a whodunit than the cosmic horror in Nameless.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, heres something I was thinking about. If you wanted to introduce someone to Grant Morrison's stuff, what would you recommend?

We3

I generally don't like Morrison because his stuff is either impenetrable or completely stuck up its own rear end, but We3 is just a really simple story told in a very creative way. Even Quitely is in top form compared to his superhero comics which I also find extremely unappealing.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We3 is absolutely his most accessible, otherwise either his X-Men run or All Star Superman, but even Superman took me a couple reads to really get into

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

BigRed0427 posted:

Doom Patrol, always Doom Patrol. Usually, Morrison's stuff is excellent but kind of... unbalanced? He's really good at writing weird (Invisibles), action (JLA), and meta-commentary (Multiversity). but most times these elements come at the expense of the others. I think Doom Patrol hits every one of these points, and hits them well. It's really, really good. Plus, it's his best character work, I think.

His X-Men is astounding, but half of the reason is because it's working from inside the super-hero genre in the first place. So Doom Patrol wins out as an intro recommendation because it's excellent comics and you can jump into it from any background, comics or not. It's like Gaiman's Sandman in this way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

Hey thanks for the suggestions guys. Put them in my queue. I decided to read Agents of Atlas first and that is a couple of good series. The Thing and X-Static will be next. I see they have almost all of Daredevil at this point, so screw it will read it all after X-Static.

I am said that they do not have all of the old Thunderbolts or some golden age stuff. The Golden Age is my jam. Stuff is bananas.

With x-static start with x-force 116 as that's the start of the run

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

We3

I generally don't like Morrison because his stuff is either impenetrable or completely stuck up its own rear end, but We3 is just a really simple story told in a very creative way. Even Quitely is in top form compared to his superhero comics which I also find extremely unappealing.

Yes, I dislike Morrison immensely, but WE3 is amazing on every level.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BigRed0427 posted:

We3, unless they've got an interest / familiarity with the Big Two franchise characters he's written about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

While I love We3, Animal Man is the Morrison 101 I would give.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The first Morrison I ever read and one of the first comics I ever read was Invisibles. Don't start there.

Honestly I'd say read his X-Men run (or his JLA one if you're willing to go outside Marvel) because those are his most "normal" comic book runs whereas, say, Animal Man is a lot about more meta aspects of comics and the act of creation as an artist.

Also I've never read We3 because I'm sure he kills the animals at the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Also I've never read We3 because I'm sure he kills the animals at the end.

I literally just finished reading WE3 and you are only 33% correct, surprisingly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The We3 ending is surprisingly positive considering how completely full of despair the rest of that book is

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It would totally depend on who I'm recommending to of course, but you really can't go wrong with Doom Patrol. If they're more versed in superhero comics, I'd definitely throw JLA (or maybe start with JLA: Earth 2 as a solid standalone story) or AllStarSupes at them.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay can someone help me with the spider-man read order? I just finished all 100+ of the Ultimate Spider-man. But now there's other spider-comics, one with parker still alive, one with Miles and Parker is dead and I'm trying to figure out what goes first?

Edit: In the Ultimate one, he drowned in the giant tsunami, but now he's back and he and MJ broke up? I must be missing a series I think.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HogX posted:

Okay can someone help me with the spider-man read order? I just finished all 100+ of the Ultimate Spider-man. But now there's other spider-comics, one with parker still alive, one with Miles and Parker is dead and I'm trying to figure out what goes first?

Edit: In the Ultimate one, he drowned in the giant tsunami, but now he's back and he and MJ broke up? I must be missing a series I think.
Peter Parker:
Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133
Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Vol 1) 1-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160

Miles Morales:
Ultimate Fallout #1-6*
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Vol 2) 1-28
Spider-Men 1-5**
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-12

There's some annuals and stuff in there too.

*Miles only shows up in UF #4, but the other issues deal with Peter's friends and family. There's other stories in each issue intended to set up the rest of the Ultimate Universe that was relaunching at that point.

**This runs roughly concurrent to UC:SMv2 11-15. There's no particular read order here.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Peter Parker:
Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133
Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Vol 1) 1-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160

Miles Morales:
Ultimate Fallout #1-6*
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Vol 2) 1-28
Spider-Men 1-5**
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-12

There's some annuals and stuff in there too.

*Miles only shows up in UF #4, but the other issues deal with Peter's friends and family. There's other stories in each issue intended to set up the rest of the Ultimate Universe that was relaunching at that point.

**This runs roughly concurrent to UC:SMv2 11-15. There's no particular read order here.

Alright, so I think I'm at ultimate Comics: Spider-Man at this point, but it still went from him being dead to him being alive? Like He was pulled out of the rubble, and was dead. Then it was his funeral and stuff. Now he's alive again and dating the blond girl? I'm so confused.

edit: Vvv welp. Comics.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 29, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

HogX posted:

Alright, so I think I'm at ultimate Comics: Spider-Man at this point, but it still went from him being dead to him being alive? Like He was pulled out of the rubble, and was dead. Then it was his funeral and stuff. Now he's alive again and dating the blond girl? I'm so confused.

Yep. Don't worry, you didn't actually miss anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HogX posted:

edit: Vvv welp. Comics.

Did you read the Requiem issues? I think that might at least cover him not being dead. I forget. There's definitely a time skip after that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Yep. Don't worry, you didn't actually miss anything.
That seems awfully unsatisfying.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Some time ago this thread recommended I read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men after Grant Morrison's run. Looking over that now, it seems Warren Ellis took over the series after Whedon left.

I'm a big fan of Ellis, is his run worth it?

I'm thinking it's also safe to ignore the rest of Astonishing X-Men after Ellis leaves?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

That seems awfully unsatisfying.

I just meant that there wasn't issues they missed, I'm pretty sure Bendis goes back and covers some of the missing time though. It's been a while since I've read it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm a big fan of Ellis, is his run worth it?
NO.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Oh wow. Would you mind elaborating on why it's so bad?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Part of it is "how do you follow that act?" and part of it is because it is really bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cyphoderus posted:

Oh wow. Would you mind elaborating on why it's so bad?

It's just incredibly boring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The writing is boring at best, and really obnoxious at worst. There's an entire issue that's nothing but sex jokes. Ellis didn't seem to bother to write for the characters at all.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. Ellis' Thunderbolts is around the same time, right? Is that one worth it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cyphoderus posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. Ellis' Thunderbolts is around the same time, right? Is that one worth it?
YES.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also his run on Secret Avengers is really good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ellis' Thunderbolts might be my favourite book he's done for Marvel, it's fantastic.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

LLooking for some recommends based on what I've finished so far

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dark Knight Returns
Transmetropolitan
NEXTWave
Thor God of Thunder
Bendis' Daredevil

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Pulse
Daredevil by Bendis or Miller
Fantastic Four by Hickman
Moon Knight by Ellis
Maybe Animal Man by Morrison?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wildcats by Joe Casey (since you liked Planetary and Authority): starts with Wildcats Vol. 2 #8-28, then Wildcats 3.0 #1-24.
Sleeper by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (but start with the prequel miniseries, Point Blank #1-5)
Starman by James Robinson, Tony Harris, and Peter Snejbjerg
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja
DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
Y The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, and David Aja
Top Ten by Alan Moore and Gene Ha
X-Force (#116-128) and X-Statix by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Good stuff. Thanks guys

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is there anything between Annihilators: Earthfall and Bendis' GotG?

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Brocktoon posted:

Is there anything between Annihilators: Earthfall and Bendis' GotG?

There's an arc in Avengers Assemble written by Bendis where the movie Guardians (plus Bug, who was probably still in the movie script at that time) show up to help fight Thanos. It's not good.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Vorik posted:

LLooking for some recommends based on what I've finished so far

Side note, if you come back - how do you treat comics in Goodreads? Just trades/"estimate" omnibuses based on individual comics you've read/etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Yep that's correct. Seemed like the easiest way, and it makes for a cleaner looking list too.