Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

http://lifeunderashell.tumblr.com/post/124894394033/king-of-the-universe-steven-universe-x-king-of-the

I've seen nearly every episode of King of the Hill, but I can't figure out who Jasper is supposed to be here. I think she might be Luann, but that feels really weird to me since Luann is so sweet and Jasper is so ... not.

Edit: It's kind of a shame they didn't include Connie as Connie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dangit Steven.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pretty sure Jasper's supposed to be Kahn Souphanousinphone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Triskelli posted:

Pretty sure Jasper's supposed to be Kahn Souphanousinphone.

That fits MUCH better.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

http://lifeunderashell.tumblr.com/post/124894394033/king-of-the-universe-steven-universe-x-king-of-the

I've seen nearly every episode of King of the Hill, but I can't figure out who Jasper is supposed to be here. I think she might be Luann, but that feels really weird to me since Luann is so sweet and Jasper is so ... not.

Talk about dang ol mirrors man, did you even dang ol wonder who I was man.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Who would Connie be though?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slydingdoor posted:

Who would Connie be though?

Connie.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tbh i kinda

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When gems regenerate they all seem to go through their past forms and they all start as a blank doll. I would assume that that blank is their base shape and they can customize from there.

Like I think even that base form must have some flexibility but amethyst is a master shape shifter and she could just barely hold regenerated forms that really changed her base shape. And they mostly seemed like her breaking herself instead of making real functional changes.

Its not just a blank doll, its an articulated artist's doll.

Anyway i always figured Rose Quartz had something more along the lines of survivors guilt than being an ex-space fascist or whatever.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Boomhauer should've been Onion or Yellowtail.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Face-Off kinda dialed it in to SU tonight. Two person rock monsters? :v:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Haha oh my god.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Urban Wizard posted:

I've experienced second hand embarrassment before so I know what it feels like. What I don't understand is how you can possibly get that from SU. There's nothing like a character doing something that will have embarrassing or humiliating consequences for them, or doing something painfully stupid or cheesy. It's just lighthearted comedy? I don't know what could possibly be cringe-worthy about it. Is it just because it's a "children's show" and you're an adult? I don't get it. But whatever flips your skirt up I guess.

second hand embarrassment don't care about logic

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
generally it's connected to embarrassing things

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Urban Wizard posted:

I've experienced second hand embarrassment before so I know what it feels like. What I don't understand is how you can possibly get that from SU. There's nothing like a character doing something that will have embarrassing or humiliating consequences for them, or doing something painfully stupid or cheesy. It's just lighthearted comedy? I don't know what could possibly be cringe-worthy about it. Is it just because it's a "children's show" and you're an adult? I don't get it. But whatever flips your skirt up I guess.

god i really hope the people complaining about being embarrassed by watchin' su aren't old enough that they should know better than to care

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When gems regenerate they all seem to go through their past forms and they all start as a blank doll. I would assume that that blank is their base shape and they can customize from there.

Ontogemy recapitulates phylogemy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ernie Muppari posted:

god i really hope the people complaining about being embarrassed by watchin' su aren't old enough that they should know better than to care

Second hand embarrassment really doesn't give a poo poo about logic, I'm afraid to say. It's something I experience, know is dumb, and reminding myself it's dumb as it's happening does absolutely nothing.

It's just a thing that happens and you can't do a whole hell of a lot about it. Knowing it's irrational only really lets me retrospectively discard my own irrational reactions.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Oblivious posted:

Second hand embarrassment really doesn't give a poo poo about logic, I'm afraid to say. It's something I experience, know is dumb, and reminding myself it's dumb as it's happening does absolutely nothing.

It's just a thing that happens and you can't do a whole hell of a lot about it. Knowing it's irrational only really lets me retrospectively discard my own irrational reactions.

As someone who also experiences this, I find that watching it on a smaller screen tends to help.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ernie Muppari posted:

You should be a motivational speaker, I can feel my mental issues just melting away under your scorn. I'm cured!

Inglonias posted:

As someone who also experiences this, I find that watching it on a smaller screen tends to help.

Seconding this.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Which scenes or types of scenes trigger secondhand embarrassment in Steven Universe? I know the feeling but only in the context of cringeworthy live action stuff like the Office.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any scene that would make your conservative dad say "what the heck are you watching?" if he walked in halfway through.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I watch a lot of stuff that is more embarrassing without context than Steven Universe so I have no shame at all about it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Bongo Bill posted:

The creators of the show made some deep lore, but then they very fastidiously refuse to show us more than a tiny amount of anything that the title character isn't paying attention to. Every scene is strictly from Steven's point of view. The result is that any time they want to dredge something out of the super dramatic backstory, they first have to make Steven grow up enough to understand it, and any time they want to delve into a supporting character's mindset, they have to make Steven grow up enough to empathize with them. This is a good trick, I think, because it means the focus remains on the characters and that the fictional history is extremely emotionally relevant when they finally get to cut loose with it.

This is a really good point. The more I think about it, the more true I think it is, and the more it makes me like the show.

So thanks.

(EDIT:)

I want to talk more about this. Onion Friend is a really fantastic example of it -- in Onion Trade, Steven couldn't empathize with Onion or understand how different his motivations were, and that drove the conflict. Steven, after time spent with Connie and learning about what drives not only the Crystal Gems but trying to empathize or at least understand the Homeworld Gems, could finally accept Onion as differently-motivated and at least come to terms with him on the basis of Onion's motivations and desires. Same thing with Sworn to the Sword: it's not just the knowledge Steven gained from Steven the Sword Fighter and Rose's Scabbard that drove his actions there, it's his awareness of and sympathy to Pearl's feelings and flaws, including the understanding that he'll probably never be able to bridge the gap between her feelings for Rose and his feelings about Rose.

What a great show.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 29, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

rockopete posted:

Which scenes or types of scenes trigger secondhand embarrassment in Steven Universe? I know the feeling but only in the context of cringeworthy live action stuff like the Office.

I found the play scenes in "Historical Friction" really hard to get through, especially on my first viewing. Part of it is that public humiliation was on the table as a possibility. Whatever adventures they have, we can all be fairly certain that nothing really permanently bad is going to happen to Steven and the Gems. They're not going to die or get maimed or anything like that. However, the idea of Steven and Jaime's play was going to crater and have people mocking them or laughing at them (until somebody got up and made a speech about how trying is good even if they didn't succeed this time or somesuch) was very much a possibility.

There's a Top 10 list of common fears. While flying ranks number 1, number 2 is public speaking. For comparison, death ranks number 6 behind heights, the dark and rejection. Second hand embarrassment is a lot like those moments some people cringe or look away during a violent, scary or just gross scene in a movie. It's probably more widespread than the "horror movie" cringe simply because it's more likely to happen in real life. Let's face it, the chances that you'll get abducted by a serial killer and have to cut your own leg off to escape a death trap are fairly small. loving up in public and embarrassing yourself, though? That's everywhere all the time, especially in a world/society where cameras, phones and internet connections are everywhere.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Any scene that would make your conservative dad say "what the heck are you watching?" if he walked in halfway through.

I think that's just regular old embarrassment :shrug:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've watched so much embarrassing poo poo like that. When I was younger I used to watch Drawn Together, and they just had random lesbian fan-service scenes and my mum is like right behind me and she's all wtf mate you watching hentai on the monitor

Oh, and the weird bondage scene in Death Note, except I burned that to a DVD and watched it with them and didn't know it was in there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If they can't handle some cartoon tits maybe they're the real children

makes u think

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Megaspel posted:

I've watched so much embarrassing poo poo like that. When I was younger I used to watch Drawn Together, and they just had random lesbian fan-service scenes and my mum is like right behind me and she's all wtf mate you watching hentai on the monitor

Oh, and the weird bondage scene in Death Note, except I burned that to a DVD and watched it with them and didn't know it was in there.

I'm pretty sure any situation like this happening was destroyed by my parents doing it in reverse. Like when my mom was all, "You guys haven't seen Pulp Fiction!? We have to watch it NOW!" when me and my friends were like 12~15 and my dad taking us to see the South Park movie around the same time.

For extra fun, play Cards Against Humanity with your parents. For double fun play it with them and their parents (my grandpa is absurdly good at that game).

Edit:Just remembered when my grandma was judging cards "Necrophilia is funny, but dead babies...that's just sad."

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 29, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
you guys a lucky, my own parents have such a fear and hatred of anything unwholesome that I'm not sure how they managed to conceive me. When we get together Marvel movies or other mindless action faire is the only thing we can watch together.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly all this reminds me of one of the biggest selling points of the show that no one mentions when trying to get other people into the show.

When most shows have an a young protagonist or important secondary character who starts out annoying and is supposed to Character Develop into an more fun to watch character they take season after season after season to see any changes, if the show doesn't get cancelled first.

Steven both starts out way more enjoyable then that kind of character usually is AND smooths out some of his few rough annoying edges by the end of the first season.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I like Steven Universe, but I thought the first dozen or so episodes were a big letdown after Gem Glow and Laser Light Cannon.

Put me in the "Steven was just consistently shouty and annoying" camp. It's a great show, but if I ever remember him chanting "CHEESEBURGER BACKPACK" it's enough to make me say "maybe let's watch something else for now"

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The thought just occurred to me, but it seems that the bigger a Gem is, the stronger and more important they are.

Just like the Orks from Warhammer 40,000.

:orks:I'M DA BIGGEST AN' DA GAYEST, SO I'Z MAKIN' DA RULES YOU CLODS:orks101:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Honestly all this reminds me of one of the biggest selling points of the show that no one mentions when trying to get other people into the show.

When most shows have an a young protagonist or important secondary character who starts out annoying and is supposed to Character Develop into an more fun to watch character they take season after season after season to see any changes, if the show doesn't get cancelled first.

Steven both starts out way more enjoyable then that kind of character usually is AND smooths out some of his few rough annoying edges by the end of the first season.

One of the best parts of Steven's development is how natural it is. On some shows they might get feedback on an "annoying" character and either ignore it or just switch things up instantly (I'm looking hard at Sleepy Hollow and Grimm as doing this) with no real reason aside from "the audience hates this character." In SU, we see Steven before and after "Bubble Buddies" as he begins to be a little more thoughtful, patient and mature. You can trace the development as Steven sees himself through the eyes of someone he likes and doesn't completely like what he sees. He still has his normal personality but we see him adjusting to life due to his experiences.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Triskelli posted:

The thought just occurred to me, but it seems that the bigger a Gem is, the stronger and more important they are.

Just like the Orks from Warhammer 40,000.

:orks:I'M DA BIGGEST AN' DA GAYEST, SO I'Z MAKIN' DA RULES YOU CLODS:orks101:

A battle between gems and orks would be :rocking: as gently caress.

:orks: Right 'den, letz zmash dese sparkly gitz ta rubble and take dere flash! :orks:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm having visions of the most Hair Metal and the most Heavy Metal armies ever assembled facing off, and it is GLORIOUS.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
"Boss! Boss! They'se won't stop singin' Boss! Wot do we do? It's drivin' the boyz mad!"

"Well wot we do is we just sing right back at'em! Orks is the biggest, meanest, best there is! That includes making the music! Now you lot git workin' on our choreography! I'm going to start workin' on lyrics! No slackin'!"

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Excelsiortothemax posted:

"Boss! Boss! They'se won't stop singin' Boss! Wot do we do? It's drivin' the boyz mad!"

"Well wot we do is we just sign right back at'em! Orks is the biggest, meanest, best there is! That includes making the music! Now you lot git workin' on our choreography! I'm going to start workin' on lyrics! No slackin'!"

:stonk:

:psyboom:YES!:psyboom:

Never before in my life have I wanted to write fanfiction before now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Besesoth posted:

Well, assuming that Vidalia is human. We don't ever actually see her eat (except for the cup of tea - which I don't think we see her drink), and Sour Cream doesn't even have a plate in front of him.

presumably she was also in that tape...

Just sayin'.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Klaus88 posted:

:stonk:

:psyboom:YES!:psyboom:

Never before in my life have I wanted to write fanfiction before now.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, this isn't just a fanfiction thing, Orks are very much into Fury Road-esque post-apocalyptarock:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Even though it was retconned, Orkish telecommunications are conducted via Orks that are really, really good at shouting

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I kinda just don't think it will be any sort of "gem magic laser pew pew pew" space type thing, since that isn't anything anyone watching reacts to. Like maybe she will end up being pink diamond or whatever and that will be part of the plot at one level but no one finds out their mom was actually a traitor in some magical war, I more thing at some point steven is going to hear a story where like, she yells at greg a lot, or they break up for a while or even she doesn't understand that kissing another guy isn't okay or something very human like that, where he has to come to terms with his idealized mother being a person. because that IS a thing people have to deal with.

We had that episode though.

Maybe I'm strange, but I thought they intended "I unthinkingly regard you more as a novelty than an equal worthy of my respect" to be a pretty big character flaw on Rose's part. They just treated it the way finding out your parents aren't perfect is usually treated. Which isn't like it's some sort of Earthshattering drama bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!

I regret nothing.

Absolutely nothing :3:

• Locked thread