Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I'd be willing to put money down that more than 2/3rds of players complete 2 or less challenge rooms. Arcade-style scoring isn't a thing most people want.

More than 2/3rds of players probably didn't finish the game at all so that's a pretty poor argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Question about characters getting around in free roam? Give them their own cars. Like Nightwing has a motorcycle, Harley has the Joker's old car, etc etc. Send me job offers now./

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

More than 2/3rds of players probably didn't finish the game at all so that's a pretty poor argument.

What

How? You focus on the content that the vast majority of your players are going to experience. There are times that it makes sense to cater to a niche, but that doesn't make not doing so a bad decision.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They are selling the challenge rooms as DLC. They're part of the season pass.

Where have they said this? So far all they've said about the season pass is that it's three "Arkham Episodes," Batmobile skins and races, character skins, and the pre-order bonuses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

What

How? You focus on the content that the vast majority of your players are going to experience. There are times that it makes sense to cater to a niche, but that doesn't make not doing so a bad decision.

Because you're focusing on the idea that a *total* number of people didn't play it which isn't actually a valid way to analyze how important content is to players. The vast majority of content is not accessed by players at all because a 50% finish rate for games is considered quite good. So saying "2/3rds of people didn't do more than 2 challenge rooms" is meaningless to how valuable it is as a feature. If anything the idea that 1/3rd of the entire player base got into challenge rooms would actually mean it is a fairly significant feature.

Pirate Jet posted:

Where have they said this? So far all they've said about the season pass is that it's three "Arkham Episodes," Batmobile skins and races, character skins, and the pre-order bonuses.

quote:

In addition to the previously discussed content, the season pass will also gift players with new Crimefighter Challenge maps. Challenge maps have been a staple of the series since the beginning, and the new challenge maps will be playable by Batman as well as the other playable characters.

http://gamerant.com/batman-arkham-knight-season-pass-dlc-details-batgirl/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Post is not edit.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Trying to get a Riddler trophy in Stagg Airship Beta. Looks like I'm meant to tilt the box it's in out of the ship, but no matter how much I tilt it won't budge.

The doors are open, and the sentry guns have been destroyed. I've tried reloading and closing out the game but it's the same each time.

I'm looking at videos and it seems super simple. Is this just glitched?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PoshAlligator posted:

Trying to get a Riddler trophy in Stagg Airship Beta. Looks like I'm meant to tilt the box it's in out of the ship, but no matter how much I tilt it won't budge.

The doors are open, and the sentry guns have been destroyed. I've tried reloading and closing out the game but it's the same each time.

I had to swing the airship back and forth fully, twice. (I just did this one like two days ago.) :shrug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it can be a bit fiddly. Just keep tilting the ship and smash the poo poo out of that window.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Because you're focusing on the idea that a *total* number of people didn't play it which isn't actually a valid way to analyze how important content is to players. The vast majority of content is not accessed by players at all because a 50% finish rate for games is considered quite good. So saying "2/3rds of people didn't do more than 2 challenge rooms" is meaningless to how valuable it is as a feature. If anything the idea that 1/3rd of the entire player base got into challenge rooms would actually mean it is a fairly significant feature.

That's just the level I'd be willing to risk cash on, I'd guess that it's 10% or less.

And that IS how people prioritize, which is why almost no games have decent final bosses/endings?

They're an accessory feature to a very large complex product that only appeal to a subsection of your playerbase. Given how much of their previous DLC was targeting the challenge rooms, removing them from the game almost has to mean that nobody was playing them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Given how much of their previous DLC was targeting the challenge rooms, removing them from the game almost has to mean that nobody was playing them.

Not really? You're making the assumption that WB removed something to sell as DLC because it was unpopular when that isn't necessarily correct. WB's sales model for DLC has largely been that they target high-interest buyers. They're not targeting their DLC season pass as "Stuff people don't care about."

Likewise, they didn't actually remove challenges from the game. They're still there (as AR maps.) What they did, like most of the game, was heavily gear them towards Batmobile segments, with the clear idea being not "these are unpopular and nobody likes them" but "Everyone is going to want to play the Batmobile tons!" If that is Rocksteady misjudging or WB pressure us up for debate but it isn't like they're entirely gone, it is just that melee and predator both took a backseat to the tons of car maps.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

PoshAlligator posted:

I struggled with this until I actually got frustrated and went to inspect the window. A small physics object (looked like rubble) was caught on the ledge and nudging it with Batman made it fall off. The box had apparently been getting caught on it because once it was out of the way, it went straight out the window.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've got a 96% save on normal and a 90% save on hard. I feel like hard wasn't any different from normal other than shotguns in predator sections hitting harder. They might have introduced some other enemies sooner, but if that was the case, I didn't even notice. Is hard bugged on the PC too?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's pretty much the extent of Hard. Knightmare, NG+, removes the counter icons, makes Batman much more fragile, etc.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm a little late, but the difference between Witcher getting New Game plus for free, and Arkham Knight shipping is that Witcher 3 takes like 150 hours to complete and Arkham Knight takes like 10 if you ignore the riddler bullshit.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I get what you're saying, but hour count has always been a terrible indicator of game quality.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

poptart_fairy posted:

That's pretty much the extent of Hard. Knightmare, NG+, removes the counter icons, makes Batman much more fragile, etc.

I guess. I remember having a much harder time doing the jump from normal to hard in the other games. :shrug:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
When I bought the game, I thought this was going to be better than Arkham City...I was wrong, this was average or mediocre at best.

The gameplay was good, there were some combat and predator features like the fear multi-takedown that was alright. The batmobile was fun to play around with, although it felt like an excuse for Rocksteady to put in the game because you couldn't drive it in Asylum or City, also the tank battles were getting old. I suppose New Game Plus/Knightmare was challenging, although it felt a little repetitive and infuriating at times.

The story was great, it had some good moments like the Joker segments, but also some parts that felt anti-climatic...especially near the end.

Also, the Harley Quinn story pack was a loving letdown, I only got 10 minutes out of it and it was just getting good until I already finished it. It would've been nice if they added more to it, like make Harley available in free roam, or do a couple of side missions, or maybe some challenge maps.

Oh yeah...the challenge maps, I didn't realise they were a thing. I thought the AR challenges were supposed to be them, but it turns out they're completely different. So yeah, no 'challenge maps' in the full game apparently sucks...I guess they'll release them as DLC...or not.

And that's why Arkham Knight never stood out to me better than Arkham City did...BUT HEY LOOK, I GOT SOME FREE BATMAN SKINS, I guess that makes up for it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So this is now a thing that is possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eCGX98ofM

:iit:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 29, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

This is the DLC I want.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

redbackground posted:

Dang, Kirk's got some moves.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can tell if those are scraps of clothes to preserve his modesty or if he just really messed up his skin.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can tell if those are scraps of clothes to preserve his modesty or if he just really messed up his skin.

The latter. He's naked once you transform him back.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My fantasy for free-roam would be to basically handle it just like City. In Knight after all the sidequests are done the city's full of nothing but regular guys. I'd love it if they would have repopulated the post-game world like they did in City, where some of the guys have knifes/guns/etc, some of the predator areas are remanned, stuff like that. It might not make a lot of sense plot-wise, but it would make wandering around the finished city a lot more interesting and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard. If they just had that so I could get some combat/predator variety by going to the right areas of the map like I could in City I wouldn't really even miss challenge rooms. Taking out a whole squad of rioters is fun, but it would be more fun if one of them pulled a weapon out every once in a while. Really it seems like the next-gen development problems and time crunch killed a lot of the really nice little passion-project touches that the other games got.

redbackground posted:

Ha, I put the video on fullscreen and then reflexively right-clicked when the counter icons came up :downs:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I never bothered caring about the score system in challenge maps, as I find the whole "How do I exploit the scoring system to max points" thing a bit spergy for my tastes.

But I did use them as a way to try out different methods of attack, or just dick around by booting up the game for a few minutes every now and then. That appeal is totally gone in Knight, and its baffling.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Doctor Zaius posted:

I get what you're saying, but hour count has always been a terrible indicator of game quality.
If folks are using that metric, F2P games on mobile are the best games ever. They never end! :haw:

Yes, I know a few of them are actually good, shut up before you get started.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mogomra posted:

I guess. I remember having a much harder time doing the jump from normal to hard in the other games. :shrug:

Maybe you're just better at the game now. :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

This is the DLC I want.
That same person now has an update to run around as beat-up Jason Todd, too.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

How annoying is I Am the Night mode in Arkham Origins? That's the one big Batman achievement I never got (and I guess multiplayer, but I'm not doing multiplayer).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Well, that Batgirl DLC sure is short.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

redbackground posted:

That same person now has an update to run around as beat-up Jason Todd, too.

Is there a mod where you can play as the Arkham Knight?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Is there a mod where you can play as the Arkham Knight?

I think he said he's working on it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

How annoying is I Am the Night mode in Arkham Origins? That's the one big Batman achievement I never got (and I guess multiplayer, but I'm not doing multiplayer).

Depends on how willing you are to swing with some bugs. Having your run end because Deadshot suddenly had eyes in the back of his head and executed his hostage is...one of those moments.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

You can cheese it by restarting before you die if things go badly. With that said I got an end of game bug and had to start again anyway, but I think they fixed it.

It's a nice excuse to play the game again I suppose.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Removing something and selling it as dlc is because no one liked them, and it's definitely not a publisher trying to squeeze more money out of the player base

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol how can you begin to compare witcher 3 to a game that literally was so broken it's off pc and is giving you poo poo piecemeal. also comparing New Game + from a 10 hour game to a 100 hour game is equally laughable. as if you'd want to replay doing 200 loving terrible riddler puzzles.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well, that Batgirl DLC sure is short.

It felt like it was about as long as HQR. Which isn't great, but it was enough.

You can't just say "People don't play the challenge maps" with no proof at all and then use that as your only point of reason.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

It felt like it was about as long as HQR. Which isn't great, but it was enough.

I didn't pre order or get the season pass, so I didn't play the Harley Quinn DLC. I dunno - it was fun and I really appreciated playing as a different character and the more Arkham Asylum vibe that they went for, but I finished it in like half an hour. Kind of disappointing.

That said, I would kill for some challenge maps. I've finished NG+ on hard, gotten all the riddler trophies, and 3 starred all the AR challenges but I want more mook punching and Batmobiling in my life.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SonicRulez posted:

You can't just say "People don't play the challenge maps" with no proof at all and then use that as your only point of reason.
Reasons for believing this:

I have met human beings outside of internet forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

theflyingorc posted:

Reasons for believing this:

I have met human beings outside of internet forums

Not for nothing, but I suspect "People you know" is a much smaller cross section than "Internet forums".

• Locked thread